HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Computer Breakdown

Old
10-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Computer Breakdown

Ok, my laptop lcd just crapped out. Goes black. Shut it down, turn it on, starts to work then black again. Is there a bulb that has burnt out that can be replaced? How much does that cost? Is it something else? Any help would be appreciated.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
How old is your laptop? First I'd call where you bought it as they can help. My monitor did the same thing and I called Staples. They said it was the monitor and they exchanged it for me as I had a warranty on it. I'd say it's most likely the screen and if it's still under warranty you're in luck as they could either fix it or replace it.

10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Ghostbuster

Does the moniter just stop working or does just the backlight go out?

You mentioned it starts up fine, then gives out? When during load up does it give out?

If you have a S-Video or HDMI and can get a Video out to your TV you can still access your stuff if its just the LCD.

Also what kind of laptop do you have, my HP did this a while back and it was because the harddrive was starting to fail.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
hfboardsuser

Here's a test you can try if you have another monitor:

-Unhook the monitor from your PC

-Connect it to the VGA port on the side of the laptop

-On some laptops, you must activate an external monitor- eg. on HP laptops, one of your number keys will have a little monitor on it. Press the function key and that number.

-If your laptop displays something on the monitor without it disappearing, it's the LCD itself. If you can't see anything or the image turns to black, it's the video card. A broken LCD is an expensive fix, but as Narnia alluded to, it may be covered by either a manufacturer's or third party warranty. If it's the video card, though, and it's a cheaper/older laptop, you're likely out of luck- video cards on such models are integrated into the motherboard, and that would be a $500+ fix.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Manufacturer's warranty is always for a year and they only replace defective units. You'd be looking at dropping the cash for S&H to the required service depot and having it in there for a good while. Realistically maybe a month or longer before you see it back again.

If you bought in-store warranty, they will give you in store credit for what you paid for it towards any new model that you want.

Laptop screens are the priciest thing to repair/replace. If you're out of warranty, you're looking at around $500-600 to replace it. You best have bought that warranty, cuz it protects against **** like this.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Manufacturer's warranty is always for a year and they only replace defective units. You'd be looking at dropping the cash for S&H to the required service depot and having it in there for a good while. Realistically maybe a month or longer before you see it back again.

If you bought in-store warranty, they will give you in store credit for what you paid for it towards any new model that you want.

Laptop screens are the priciest thing to repair/replace. If you're out of warranty, you're looking at around $500-600 to replace it. You best have bought that warranty, cuz it protects against **** like this.
Nah, you can fix them for cheaper if you use EBAY and just buy the right parts. You'll need to find a tutorial or two to dismantle and replace it, but it's not impossible. My brother busted his LCD one time and replaced it via EBAY for around $200 and it's cheaper now.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:39 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Nah, you can fix them for cheaper if you use EBAY and just buy the right parts. You'll need to find a tutorial or two to dismantle and replace it, but it's not impossible. My brother busted his LCD one time and replaced it via EBAY for around $200 and it's cheaper now.
$200 is what it costs to get a 2-3 year service plan. Not only that, but you don't have to dismantle your laptop, figure out how to fix it and then hope for the best. I know what you're trying to say, and is probably something those inclined to service it themselves would do, but for the average consumer (Who, btw, is retarded) they are better off with warranty.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Does the moniter just stop working or does just the backlight go out?

You mentioned it starts up fine, then gives out? When during load up does it give out?

If you have a S-Video or HDMI and can get a Video out to your TV you can still access your stuff if its just the LCD.

Also what kind of laptop do you have, my HP did this a while back and it was because the harddrive was starting to fail.
Its a Compaq. It would do it with increasing frequency (starting today) and now it wont even fully load and it goes black. I still get audio, Im pretty sure it is a lcd problem. I dont have any cables to hook it up to something else.

Old
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
$200 is what it costs to get a 2-3 year service plan. Not only that, but you don't have to dismantle your laptop, figure out how to fix it and then hope for the best. I know what you're trying to say, and is probably something those inclined to service it themselves would do, but for the average consumer (Who, btw, is retarded) they are better off with warranty.
Warranties are the biggest money maker for companies.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Fiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its a Compaq. It would do it with increasing frequency (starting today) and now it wont even fully load and it goes black. I still get audio, Im pretty sure it is a lcd problem. I dont have any cables to hook it up to something else.
Does it give a sequence of beeps after the screen goes out?

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:00 AM
bigdinc78

Send a message via MSN to bigdinc78
Quote:
Not trying to get your hopes up but it sounds like a loose or broken strip connector, if you're at all technically inclined open it up and reseat the connector. See if that helps.

bigdinc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
Does it give a sequence of beeps after the screen goes out?
Nope.

Old
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsea View Post
Not trying to get your hopes up but it sounds like a loose or broken strip connector, if you're at all technically inclined open it up and reseat the connector. See if that helps.
Ruh roh?

Old
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Fiddie

Quote:
Ruh roh?
Agree with highsea if there are no beeps after the screen goes black it may be a loose/faulty connection.

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:34 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
You might have a issue with your harddrive.My computer did the same thing,It came back my harddrive was the cause of it.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Manicmoose

I work computers all day, every day

First off, those that have said plug in an external monitor to your laptop are 100% correct. If you dont have a monitor I am sure you got a friend with one, time to pay them a visit. As mentioned above you may have to hit a key stroke to enable to monitor, usually Fn (function key, generally left of the spacebar on the bottom row) and one of the F keys at the top - should have a symbol on it that will have a screen or something. If your laptop is powered off when you plug the monitor in some laptops will enable the external monitor automatically if it is detected at startup.

If you experiance the same problem with your laptop with the external monitor plugged in then you have to look at hard drive / motherboard - and other internal parts. If your laptop functions fine with the external monitor then it could simply be a loose connection or worse, defective screen.

Taking apart a laptop is not that hard, when I take one a part I ensure that I have a piece of paper beside me in which I use to represent the bottom of the laptop and I place the screws down on it and place it in the same spot on the paper - you can cheat and tape them down if you want so you dont lose any of them. Honestly tho, if you know someone who is good with computers I am sure they would be happy to tear it apart for you - most of us enjoy doing that sort of thing, its like lego blocks.

As mentioned as well, if it is the screen, ebay is your friend. You could also probablly find the service manual for your laptop on there - or if you google hard enough you can find it that way as well. Otherwise if it works with an external monitor, you can buy a new external monitor from a local shop even cheaper and now you have a nice slimline desktop computer

Manicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Sounds like it could possibly be a battery problem. My laptop did the same thing and it was the battery acting up. So I went to FutureShop and they showed me that if you take the battery out of the computer and hold down the start button for 10 seconds, it restarts the laptop back to it's factory settings (Hardware wise) and it'll work. Dunno if it'll do the same thing for a Compaq since I got a Toshiba, but give it a whirl.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

If you don't have a monitor, check if one of your newer TVs has a VGA input... then you'd just need a cable. Basically, look for a connector on the back of the TV that matches the one on the back of the laptop.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmoose View Post
I work computers all day, every day

Same here. This is the best advice in this thread.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I am the Liquor

I am going to buy a cable and hook it up to my tv to check it, but I dont want to run it that way forever. I was quoted $250 for a new screen. If thats the case it looks like CI is out the window.

Old
10-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Alex87

Quote:

Well, first, and it depends on the warranty I'm sure, but they will almost certainly NOT give you in-store credit. If it's a laptop or desktop computer, they'll try to fix it themselves first in-store, or failing that at a repair depot if they've got one (I know Staples has one in the west end). If they can't fix it for whatever reason, or if it's a certain make that's difficult to repair (Acer) they will send it back to the manufacturer for you, which is nice if the manufacturer's original warranty is expired, but an expensive convenience if it's not (most manufacturers will send you a box and some will even pay shipping if you're still in the first year). I've never seen a store give in-store credit for a laptop, computer, or basically any warranty that's not clearly marked "REPLACEMENT" (typically hardware that is $200 or less) as opposed to "REPAIR" unless they absolutely have to because they are at risk of violating the terms of the agreement.

Warranties are never exclusively a good or bad decision. Consumers need to make the decision for themselves as to whether or not it's worth it in their unique scenarios. Sales persons at Staples, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc will always outline the worst case scenario to convince you. As another poster said, it's pure profit for the company because you're basically giving them $200 in exchange for nothing, at least in the short run. Best case scenario for them is that they keep your money, period, and nothing goes wrong with your laptop. This is what they're hoping for and it's in stark contrast to the sales associates painting a bleak picture, trying to convince you that your laptop will break and it's only a matter of time (if this were true, stores wouldn't sell warranties). Worst case scenario is they get to borrow your money for a couple years and maybe have to pay it back with interest.

A friend of mine just bought a $600 laptop and ended up buying a $150 warranty to go along with it at Best Buy. That, IMO, was a terrible purchase, because in my case $600 really isn't a ton of money, especially after a year has gone by and the manufacturer's warranty has expired. On the other hand, if you drop a significant amount of money (whatever that may be for you) and you want a few years out of it, that extended warranty might not look so bad.

I guess my point is, if you end up having to buy a new laptop Liquor, don't let one negative experience convince you that the warranty is a must. Consider your situation without the input of a sales associate.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
If they can't fix it for whatever reason, or if it's a certain make that's difficult to repair (Acer).
If they can't fix it? Start shopping at a different store.

A certain make that is difficult to repair? I don't even know where to start with this question. If you can't fix a computer, perhaps you should be in a different line of work and let the professionals take care of it.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Costco doubles your manufacturer's 1-year warranty at no cost.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Lots of good replies here for this issue. I also work with computers and I had the same type of issue with a Toshiba. Tried reseating the cable, putting a new invertor for the screen in, a bunch of other stuff. Turned out the problem was the sensor under the spacebar when the lid closes was messed up. If you connect it to your tv, and the same thing happens, it might be something like that as well. Good luck Liquor!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
If they can't fix it? Start shopping at a different store.

A certain make that is difficult to repair? I don't even know where to start with this question. If you can't fix a computer, perhaps you should be in a different line of work and let the professionals take care of it.
Your run of the mill tech working at a retail store wouldn't be able to fix certain serious hardware problems and would need to ship it to a repair depot where they have more specialized and skilled techs. Your average tech at a Staples or retail store is a guy who would probably be real good at running virus scanners for old ladies or installing some hardware, but for certain things they don't know their ass from their elbow. Also, they're trained as salesmen so their job isn't just to fix your computer but to sell you additional service that you may not need.

Certain makes are supposedly (or used to be anyways) notoriously difficult to repair, and Acer laptops were one such example; I know Staples refused to fix certain hardware problems and simply sent them off to Acer's repair depot if they got one.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote