HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Computer Breakdown

Old
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Turned it on again, and it went black again, hooked it up to my tv. Not only did it work on my tv, but the display came back on the laptop as well. Unplugged it from the tv, proceeded to plug in the ac adapter (it was running on battery) and it then went black again.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I am the Liquor

Turned it on again. Seems to be working fine on the battery. Afraid to plug it in again.

Old
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Barky

vCash: 500
Hi,Had a similar problem as the one you are describing with an IBM Laptop. I eventually needed to replace the LCD screen (work did, as it was work issued) but in the meantime I was told by tech support to use the FN + ?? (I forget now) option to reduce the screen brightness. there was an optimium brigtness (I think on the IBM it was half) whereby the screen still functioned, but was obviously a bit harder to see. Not saying this will work for you, but it thankfully worked for me and held me over for a week as I was a work at home employee and needed to go in for the LCD swap.
Hope this is halpful advice, and good luck!

Barky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Your run of the mill tech working at a retail store wouldn't be able to fix certain serious hardware problems and would need to ship it to a repair depot where they have more specialized and skilled techs. Your average tech at a Staples or retail store is a guy who would probably be real good at running virus scanners for old ladies or installing some hardware, but for certain things they don't know their ass from their elbow. Also, they're trained as salesmen so their job isn't just to fix your computer but to sell you additional service that you may not need.

Certain makes are supposedly (or used to be anyways) notoriously difficult to repair, and Acer laptops were one such example; I know Staples refused to fix certain hardware problems and simply sent them off to Acer's repair depot if they got one.
And therin lies the problem with big box stores. If they can't fix the product they shouldn't be selling it. That is my biggest ***** about these type of stores. They have no customer service and don't care. Once they sell it and or you buy it, you are on your own.

Certain makes are not harder to fix, it is a myth. If you know what you are doing (certified technician) you can fix anything.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
And therin lies the problem with big box stores. If they can't fix the product they shouldn't be selling it. That is my biggest ***** about these type of stores. They have no customer service and don't care. Once they sell it and or you buy it, you are on your own.

Certain makes are not harder to fix, it is a myth. If you know what you are doing (certified technician) you can fix anything.
Yeah. I think if people have computer problems they should avoid big box stores and try to find more specalized "boutiques", but that's just my experience... I think you're the expert here and could probably recommend some pretty good ones.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Your run of the mill tech working at a retail store wouldn't be able to fix certain serious hardware problems and would need to ship it to a repair depot where they have more specialized and skilled techs. Your average tech at a Staples or retail store is a guy who would probably be real good at running virus scanners for old ladies or installing some hardware, but for certain things they don't know their ass from their elbow. Also, they're trained as salesmen so their job isn't just to fix your computer but to sell you additional service that you may not need.

Certain makes are supposedly (or used to be anyways) notoriously difficult to repair, and Acer laptops were one such example; I know Staples refused to fix certain hardware problems and simply sent them off to Acer's repair depot if they got one.
You're almost entirely spot-on with this.

Speaking from a Staples perspective, it's not that we personally can't do LCD or motherboard repairs from a technical knowledge standpoint, it's that we store techs were not allowed. The technicians at the 'warranty repair depot' are certified/licensed- I assume not only by Staples, but by the vendors. It's to protect against exactly what you suggest: an over-zealous tech who can only run Norton trying to do something with hardware.

Was I trained in sales? Yes. This is because the lead technician in each store is also responsible for the entire PC sales department- making sure sales goals are met, etc. I personally think it's a stupid system, because I'd be yanked out of my repair room to go and sell stuff when it got busy and then MY work would get behind.

However, this is the other reason Staples has a warranty repair center- so that the in-store techs don't get bogged down doing mobo replacements. Again, I and the techs I worked with could do them without a problem, but it was a case of time management. This is what you mean by us 'refusing to fix' them.

Edmonton no longer has a warranty repair depot. You're correct that it used to be based out of the Terra Losa store, but Staples decided to move it to Vancouver instead. They handle all the warranty repair work for Western Canada.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Manicmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Turned it on again. Seems to be working fine on the battery. Afraid to plug it in again.
That is an interesting one.

I suppose your ac adaptor be damaged, sending bad voltage or not enough volts to the system and since they over ride the battery (hence it worked on battery power)

This is where you wish you know someone with the same laptop and try thier AC adaptor on your machine - process of elimination. If on the "replacement" ac adaptor you have the same effect then it would most likely be a part on the motherboard causing the problem. If the system functions fine with the "replacement" ac adaptor then you had a faulty adaptor.

One thing would be to check ebay for an adaptor - probably cheaper then buying one in the store. Mind you, you might be able to find a Targus universal adaptor that works locally and quicker.

Manicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
oilborn

vCash: 177
okay first off when the screen goes black is it like you turned it off or is it like the backlight went out? A way you can tell is grab a pretty bright flashlite and shine it right at the lcd with the head of the flashlight almost touching the screen, then look closely at the screen and see if you can see the operating system faintly, if you can then the problem could be the lcd's inverter, easy and cheap to replace. If the screen is black black and nothing on it then it could be loose connector on mainboard(easy to find most often then not it is right under the keyboard) or In your case when you plugged it into the external display and it came back it may be something stupid like a video driver issue. what is the make and model of laptop you got there?

oilborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilborn View Post
okay first off when the screen goes black is it like you turned it off or is it like the backlight went out? A way you can tell is grab a pretty bright flashlite and shine it right at the lcd with the head of the flashlight almost touching the screen, then look closely at the screen and see if you can see the operating system faintly, if you can then the problem could be the lcd's inverter, easy and cheap to replace. If the screen is black black and nothing on it then it could be loose connector on mainboard(easy to find most often then not it is right under the keyboard) or In your case when you plugged it into the external display and it came back it may be something stupid like a video driver issue. what is the make and model of laptop you got there?
Compaq C500. You can see the screen faintly if you hold it up to the right light. But from a couple feet away it appears black.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 10-22-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Compaq C500. You can see the screen faintly if you hold it up to the right light. But from a couple feet away it appears black.
Like Oilborn mentioned, most likely the inverter...which was an original assessment of my previously posted problem. If you have a buddy who is half decent with ripping apart and putting together computers, you should be able to fix it fairly cheaply. I cannot remember the price of the Toshiba inverter, but it was pretty cheap, no more than $80 I think....don't you love computers Liquor?

BTW: Vivo has a new inverter for your model for 39.99...probably US...so you shouldn't have to pay more than 50 bones....try ebay maybe!

Last edited by Dorian2: 10-22-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Six in O6

I had some deadly screen tearing on my compaq these last few months. I got sick of it and bought a new pc today since I never take my laptop anywhere.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I had some deadly screen tearing on my compaq these last few months. I got sick of it and bought a new pc today since I never take my laptop anywhere.
If anyone is looking for a new PC or Laptop...I would be glad to help you find the right one for the right price.
Just PM me, ill give you a hand finding the right one '(not selling anything, will just find you some good packages at store of your choice). Its a slippery slope between overpriced, out of date and useless addons.

Also us the program "decrapifier" as soon as you get a new laptop...or really even if you have an old one. The are cheap because they have a ton of bloatware on them.

I cut out residential for commercial because people want way to much and dont want to pay. I would still find a ma and pa tech store, over the bestbuys and staples as well.

/not happy with Staples and their terrible extended warranties on cameras. Wont ever step in there again.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Sounds like the backlight for your display is gone. When it comes back on after being black is the display pink for a short time. If so it's almost certainly your display. It can be replaced yourself if you are not afraid of DIY. Otherwise get a reputable service place (not a box store).

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:23 AM
oilborn

vCash: 177
with the backlight coming on intermittently I will assume it's not the light itself, if it were the light itself then most often then not it is not coming back on, the inverter will give you garbage issue like this and may explain why when you plugged in the ac adaptor it went out again, the inverter isn't stepping the voltages properly. You can usually get a cheap inverter online, the biggest issue is getting somebody to replace it...it really is not a big task (replaced one for a friend once took me 10-15 mins) but does require a little skill with disassembly. do you hear a strange little buzz from around your lcd?

okay just did an ebay search for c500 inverter and got a bunch of hit for 20bucks shipped canadian. so really a dirt cheap fix as far as pc's go.

hahahahaha I also noticed yours should be damn easy to replace...you could do it yourself...just remove the screws under the rubber pads in your screen, take the cables off the old inverter and swap in the new one, you'll be done in less then half an hour

Last edited by oilborn: 10-23-2009 at 02:35 AM.
oilborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:55 AM
StellaArtois881199
Bring Back #94

310-GEEK
If your in the Edmonton area.

Used them a few times and they are great.

Yes they are playing off the Geek Squad brand, but these guys are certified techs, and their prices are fairly reasonable.

StellaArtois881199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I am the Liquor

I now have a working laptop again. Replaced the inverter but that wasnt the problem. It was the backlights in the screen itself. So I bought a new screen and installed it myself. Works great. Screensfast.com if anyone is interested. I got it the day after I ordered it from Houston. Youtube has some videos detailing how to swap screens. It isnt hard. Thanks everyone for their advice and help.

Old
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Petro Points

Tambellini after the first 5 games:

Quote:
I now have a working Hockey Team again. Replaced the goalie but that wasnt the problem. It was the coach behind the bench. So I bought new coaches and installed them myself. Work great. "Canucks of 90s" if anyone is interested. I got him the day after I ordered him from TSN hockey panel. HF board has some threads detailing how to swap coaches. It isnt hard. Thanks everyone for their advice and help.
hopefully your laptop doesnt get the virus called Injury.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Tambellini after the first 5 games:

hopefully your laptop doesnt get the virus called Injury.
I already gave it the flu shot. I pushed a couple of little kids and a pregnant mother out of the way to get to the front of the line.