HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Red Wings @ Coyotes (10/22/09)

Old
10-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

vCash: 500
Amazing that the ref counted our 3rd goal tonight without using video review.
With the way the Coyotes played after that first goal to the last few minutes of regulation it seemed that Tippett kriptonite weakened him and the team without Marty Turco to blame this time.

Happy for the win but still very unacceptable play for most of the game except for Upshall, Lombardi, and Bryz once again are the hardest working players for the Yotes.

This team is not going to win a lot of games waiting to play your best hockey with under 4 minutes left in the 3rd especially since its a matter of when Bryz can't save em in certain games.
That's saying something on my end since one bad habit I've developed with Bryz is that I can't blame him ever for giving up a goal. Everytime he does I usually find 1 or more players to blame even if they weren't on the ice serving a penalty.

Another big win for us, especially since San Jose lost to TB 5-2 tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Sundogsfan

When I first saw the game winning goal I couldn't believe how deep Mueller was as opposed to Aucoin. I thought the play was offsides for sure. I rewound it and played it back frame by frame and mueller drags his right skate on the blue line just as Aucoin gains the zone. It was really close but it was onside. It just didn't look like it. If you have the game recorded, you can see how close it was.. Great win for the Yotes!!!

Sundogsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Actually missed tonight, home with the flu and didn't want to infect our section. Last thing we need is fewer people on Saturday.

Announced was ~ 12,000, people I spoke to who were there were saying 10 or 11. Upstairs was pretty full AIUI.
You're a better man than me! I'm the type of who will still go to work or go to a game no matter.
Hell, if I ever get a Triple Bypass and would look to go to work the next day!

Get some rest, drink plenty of OJ! Get better soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
You're a better man than me! I'm the type of who will still go to work or go to a game no matter.
Hell, if I ever get a Triple Bypass and would look to go to work the next day!

Get some rest, drink plenty of OJ! Get better soon!
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too but only cause I prefer to use sick days more like vacation days.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:44 AM
hao chi

It feels kind of unreal having a four game win streak.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

That was fun. We were in the bottom row of the upper bowl behind the winning 4-on-4 goal. I think Osgood was distracted by Mueller coming in for the rebound, as he wasn't even facing the shooter, instead looking for the rebound. I still can't believe an NHL lets that in. It was great to see Bryz skate the length of the ice to celebrate the W.

There had to have been 10 minutes where the Coyotes number of shots was stuck at 18. It was maddening, but I think it was just a result of playing a team with great puck-control coaching and talent. During this period of time, there was a resemblance of the past four seasons, where you're certain we're not going to score for the rest of the game. I really thought that tying goal was going to be disallowed, but Vrbata was pushed into Osgood, so it stood. Or, it stood because of yet another conspiracy against the Red Wings.

I haven't quite warmed up to Lang yet. He makes some of the best passes on the team, but there were a number of instances where he was simply beat to pucks where he merely had to make a couple strides. Agreed on the pleasant surprise that is Lepisto, who might make it tough to demote him to the A when Sauer returns.

I have never seen as many lob passes in a game as the Wings made from their own zone to the Coyotes blue line. And some of them nearly worked, but we did a pretty good job on the backcheck.

Considering how good the Red Wings are at puck control and that they led with only 4 minutes remaining, I'd still put this one under the category of stealing a game. That's what the good teams do.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:52 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post

I haven't quite warmed up to Lang yet. He makes some of the best passes on the team, but there were a number of instances where he was simply beat to pucks where he merely had to make a couple strides. Agreed on the pleasant surprise that is Lepisto, who might make it tough to demote him to the A when Sauer returns.
Maybe I'm being a bit too critical on him considering he didn't have a full training camp, but I'm also not a Lang fan so far.

Why would Lepisto be sent to SA? At the very least he's our 7th dman.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Maybe I'm being a bit too critical on him considering he didn't have a full training camp, but I'm also not a Lang fan so far.

Why would Lepisto be sent to SA? At the very least he's our 7th dman.

Maybe we just have to think of Lang as a veteran presence who can win face-offs, and isn't costing us a fortune.

Who do you send to the Rampage when Sauer returns? Vandermeer? Or do you think Lepisto will be carried as a healthy scratch for a while?

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:06 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Maybe we just have to think of Lang as a veteran presence who can win face-offs, and isn't costing us a fortune.

Who do you send to the Rampage when Sauer returns? Vandermeer? Or do you think Lepisto will be carried as a healthy scratch for a while?
He likely will be carried as a healthy scratch, probably taking a game whenever a defenseman needs a rest. He's on a one-way contract, so either way he's getting his full salary. Might as well just keep him up instead of having to call someone up in case something happens.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:08 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I imagine the team would rotate Lepisto/Vandermeer plus whoever gets dinged from game to game. Carrying 7 dmen on the roster is pretty much automatic.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hard Effing Work...

...ugly win. Gave it the extra push when the extra push was needed. Didn't steal a point but stole two points. Look at our roster. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the majority of our points will be of the stolen variety. This is something we must all embrace, and learn to take pride in. We don't have Lidstrom, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg. What we have is two points. That's got to be the story of the season.

-"Pack Mentality" = No ********. It's for real.
-"Us Against the World" = No ********. It's for real.
-"Chip on our Shoulders" = No ********. It's for real.

These guys are buying into the mindset and they're buying into the system. No doubt about that.

Ilya Bryzgalov's numbers aren't purely a reflection of the system. The guys makes every save we need him to make. He's always there. So far...

Scottie Upshall is essentially the prototypical Coyote. He's making me forget about Keith Ballard. His effort is amazing. Second, third, fourth tries. Consistently. Kudos to that guy.

Sami Lepisto...when Sauer is healthy we must DRESS seven defensemen. Lepisto is so much more valuable to the team than either Korpikoski or Bissonnette. We should obviously dress seven defensemen and eleven forwards. Lepisto adds something that we definitely need and definitely cannot replace. His pinches are textbook. He's not getting the points, but he's getting sustained pressure, and consistent chances. He has to stay in the line-up. No question. Of course we all know how valuable Sauer is. No question that he also must stay in the line-up. I'm not about to take Vandermeer out either. He's a damn good defenseman. Consistently physical and makes great plays consistently. I've yet to see either Bissonnette or Korpikoski contribute anything even near what Vandy, Sauer, or Lepisto have. Seven defensemen and eleven forwards is clearly the answer, here. No doubt about it.

Lang and Pyatt are slow. A bit lumbering. It's only been eight games and the way I see it, both have legit excuses for slow starts. Pyatt has been injured and Robert Lang is really old. I've seen things I like from both and remain hopeful that both can pick it up. I really hope so, anyway, because at this point, Doan is all on his own. His linemates are stiffs...so far.

Peter Mueller is skating. Peter Mueller is hustling. Peter Mueller is trying.

Radim Vrbata does not need to put up points. Not at all. He is so SOLID at everything else. We totally missed him last year, and I am so glad to have him back. He's just such a smart player. So much smarter than the Lightning management. Technically so sound. So good to have him back. We need him.

I'm losing a little bit of confidence in Marty Hanzal's offensive upside. He makes decisions painfully slowly when in the offensive zone. When it comes time to pass or shoot, he just goes into slow motion. Really, I don't care. He's good enough at absolutely everything else to be totally worth the pick. I'm just not sure his offensive ability is big league. Slow and skilled can work in junior. Not so much in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong. Again, doesn't really matter. He's so good at everything else.

Whoever said Dan Winnik isn't an NHLer ought to re-think that. In my humble opinion he's a very good fourth line player. Keeps it so simple, yet so effective in that role. I really feel comfortable with him out on the ice. I think he and Vern Fiddler make a fantastic fourth line duo. Nothing but hustle, smarts, and basics with those two guys. Straight lines, nice chips, and zero mistakes. I also really love how Tippett uses this line. He seems to always throw them out at the perfect time. A nice little security blanket exactly when we need it.

Red Wings can't cry. Lombardi's stick was obviously below the cross bar when it made contact. The second goal was an own-goal. No doubt. I have the game DVRed and the final goal was clearly not offside. Anyone else with DVR can confirm that without a doubt. Still, we had no business winning. We robbed them of two points. They aren't the first team we've robbed and they won't be the last. We're going to steal points all year long. Fans of other teams will cry and complain all year. They already have. We've had the off-season from hell to thicken our skins. They can whine all they want. We've had so, so, so much worse to deal with. Screw them. We'll trap and steal all the way to the post-season if we can manage. I'm fine with that. I'm more than fine with that. I'm over the ****ing moon about it. The way they tried to trap and steal our team away from us, I'm PROUD to trap and steal every ****ing point we possibly can from the rest of this ****ing league.

So GO COYOTES! It's us against the world, and that is no ****ing ********!

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I guess it should go without saying that I've had twelve light beers and two shots of tequila.

Sorry for the rambling. For those of you that made it...

HOMEWORK:

1) Watch Dave Tippett's post game presser

2) Pick your jaw up off the floor

3) Laugh your ass off at Wayne Gretzky

If every team we play can execute like the Red Wings, we're going to lose a lot of games. Very few teams can execute like the Red Wings.

Last edited by rt: 10-23-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old
10-23-2009, 06:10 AM
nooch

I wish I could type like you sober. Excellent summary.

nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
or Prucha... I'll take it.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabam View Post
just like other games this season I am again really impressed by the Vandermeer-Aucoin pairing. They both look really good defensively and Aucoin also helps in the Offense, two great acquisitions by Maloney.
Also I really loved how Michalek assisted on the 2-2, great little move by him

I agree with this completely...they are both so solid defensively and have a bit of a mean streak in them. Something we have missed previously.

For people who think who aren't convinced about Lang yet...just give him some time.
He is slow but you can tell he is putting forth an effort and he is clearly enjoying playing with this team...it will come...don't forget he missed training camp and is coming off a pretty serious injury that used to end careers at one time. Pyatt played better as well last night...starting to use his size effectively. Between him, Lang and Doan that is one big line.

The best part about this team is that they are playing like a team. No passengers so far...I love it!!!

Fogot to mention Vrbata, Pruchal and Hanzel... our best line so far...and Winnik bringing it on every shift. Love this team and especially their effort!!!

Lorenzo1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
CitizenCoyote

Complaining after a win! This is awesome. Kind of cool that Tippet and the team have changed our expectations so quickly. Bottom line, though, we need to stop giving these inferior teams a point in three point games.

I was impressed with how the team held down the fort for 30 minutes at 2-1. Years past, this would have been a 3-1 game before too long and we wouldn't have had the chance for some late heroics.

Stats are interesting -- we won faceoffs and shots on goal, which I wouldn't have guessed from watching.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Upstairs was 75-85% full. Penalty box side of the lower bowl was packed solid goal line to goal line. Bench side of the lower bowl was a wasteland. Behinds the nets was spotty in the lower bowl also.
I get my tix thru the team. Typically Sec. 103, but last night there was a snafu that the organization handled very promptly and in a professional manner. Plus they moved me to 101. I figured it was for the sake of making the crowd on tv look better.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Kyle003p

a couple of buddies i work with went to the game (both from michigan) and told me that the erruption of cheers after the initial silence when the goal was scored was pretty epic... almost like you could hear the wings fans silently cursing in their minds for talking so much poo.

Kyle003p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:44 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

You know what I like? Quotes like these:

Quote:
''Hopefully we'll get that back sometime soon. It's tough to lose this way. I thought we played a good game.'' - Zetterberg
And a whiny coach:

Quote:
''I thought they were pushing the goalie into the net,'' Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. ''To me I didn't think that was allowed but it didn't matter." - Babcock
When you beat the Wings on a good night, when they don't complain about their level of play or effort, you obviously did something right.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, but now I'm worried. We're due for a loss at some point, right?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

I'm going to the game tomorrow, but now I'm worried. We're due for a loss at some point, right?
Na, we lost last year.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Still, we had no business winning. We robbed them of two points. They aren't the first team we've robbed and they won't be the last. We're going to steal points all year long. Fans of other teams will cry and complain all year. They already have. We've had the off-season from hell to thicken our skins. They can whine all they want. We've had so, so, so much worse to deal with. Screw them. We'll trap and steal all the way to the post-season if we can manage. I'm fine with that. I'm more than fine with that. I'm over the ****ing moon about it. The way they tried to trap and steal our team away from us, I'm PROUD to trap and steal every ****ing point we possibly can from the rest of this ****ing league.

So GO COYOTES! It's us against the world, and that is no ****ing ********!
Well said

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Na, we lost last year.
How many years was Wayne Gretzky head coach?

Old
10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

God I love Tippett's press conference. He really has changed the mentality of this team. Before we looked at ourselves as a team that played hard but never came up with that big win. Before we didn't have the skill level of the other teams, or the chemistry. Now we are confident, we are unhappy with wins that we felt shouldn't have gone into OT. We are sure of ourselves, and know that no team can come in and get 2 easy points against us. We play with passion, we play with courage, and we will out-work the opposition. Their is no selfishness on this team, just one goal, to make the playoffs. We want it so bad, and our will to win is so evident that I have to thank Tippett, the coaching staff, and the players for giving it their all night after night, and making this Coyotes team truly special. Thank You Coyotes.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So does LBRBRA get the start tomorrow? What is his nick name, by the way? Babs?

Old
10-23-2009, 01:00 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So does LBRBRA get the start tomorrow? What is his nick name, by the way? Babs?
I think he should, Bryz has been worked a lot so far this season, it'd be nice to give him a little break and get Babs? some work to keep him fresh.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote