HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Has anyone had a kidney removed?

Old
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
no name

vCash: 500
OT: Has anyone had a kidney removed?

I've been in the hospital for 4 days having emergency apandectomy. Anyways, I will be going back in to have my kidney removed in a week once they are sure I have not endured any infection. I've pretty much been destroying my body for the last 6 years with booze, caffene and muscle enhancing suppliments so I'm actually glad that I have something forcing me to tone it down.

Anyways, I'm asking anyone if they are familiar with the process. I know we have a couple doctors, nurses and such. I've spoken to the doctors and the pre surgery phsycologists but they are too cut and dry about it. Is it painfull. Will I be able to play sports like I have in the past. Can I take natural weight training suppliments? How will this change my life?

I'm not going to lie, I'm terrified that at 28 my body is falling apart. It's not fair because on the outside I've devoted my life to keeping myself in tip top condition but in doing so it's hurt me internaly. I've not slept in 4 days so I may be all doom in gloom but how can this be happeining at 28 years old?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I've pretty much been destroying my body for the last 6 years with booze, caffene and muscle enhancing suppliments...It's not fair because on the outside I've devoted my life to keeping myself in tip top condition but in doing so it's hurt me internaly.
I'm searching for a word, and I'm not sure if it's "irony" or "paradox"...I think it's irony.

You need to take a step back, take a deep breath, read those two sentences above, and begin an introspective look at how you've been living your life up to this point in time and what your end goal is: a short, hard-lived life or a longer, slower paced life.

There was a line in the movie Bladerunner I always liked: The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long. You should reflect on that.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
no name

Well said. "You always knew how to cut to the core Baxtor".

Old
10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

no name... so sorry to hear about this. That's awful news. I hope the surgery goes well.

I do know someone who has donated a kidney and leads a perfectly normal life. You'll find a mountain of more information online when it comes to donating a kidney vs. when you're having to have a damaged kidney removed.

Here's an excellent summary of life after a kidney removal (in this case, a kidney donation, but it certainly can apply in your case): http://www.livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney6.htm

Of course, what complicates your particular situation is that your kidney is damaged, not healthy at the time of removal, so there may be other health and lifestyle complications/changes that you'll need to deal with specifically that others may not. It all depends on your specific situation.

Best wishes for you - hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
if it makes you feel any better, my kidneys are fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:01 PM
sueroe

Wow that sounds like pretty scary stuff. I know so many people that look like they are in great physical shape through exercise, and eating, but then reak havoc on their bodies through smoking, excessive drinking, etc., etc.,
Sounds like you are going to listen to what your body is telling you! Take care and i wish you a speedy recovery.

Last edited by sueroe: 10-22-2009 at 05:41 PM.
sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

My mother had a kidney removed 35 years ago due to cancer. She is still going strong and I would imagine will still be around for a long time to come. It's by no means the end of the world as long as you have at least 1 healthy kidney.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Brad Stuart only has one kidney, IIRC. But I think he was born with only 1.

Oh, and Peter Forsberg is missing his spleen, if that makes you feel better

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Face Wash

FWIW, my mom leads a fairly healthy life into her 70's on one kidney. Removed rather painlessly using a scope. made a very small hole and she was out of the hospital the next day. Not sure that procedure is available to you... not everyone can have it done that way, but if so... you should be fine (I hope).

Good Luck.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Jwm1986

You will be fine with 1 kidney....Unless you have some genetic condition, you must have done major damage to have this problem at such a young age....I dont know what it is, but im sure you do....this type of damage doesnt occur in minor or even moderate use of alcohol, caffiene and supplements..hopefully you dont use steroids, and if you do, never again........Time for a major lifestyle change.

hope everything goes well for you...

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
William H Bonney

Get well No Name. Don't dwell too much on your past decisions, they're done and over with. Just take this all in and make the necessary changes in your life so that you can continue to live your life in the way you see it.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
123slam

no name, hope you feel better. Here's to wishing you a speedy recovery and only using Whey protein and bcaa's!!!!

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:27 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
I'm emailing Tikkanen some positive energy for you.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Get well soon man! Just be thankful that you'll have a doctor removing yours and you won't be waking up in a bath tub of ice like I did at Frozen Fury.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:51 PM
verbalkint47

sorry to hear about that. i had an emergency apandectomy when i was 19. not a kidney removed, but have lived a normal life since. 7 yrs ago now.

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:33 PM
no name

Thanks for the infor Tony. Good reading.

Vegas, I'm sure Tikkanen is just thrilled. lol

Old
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Thanks for the infor Tony. Good reading.

Vegas, I'm sure Tikkanen is just thrilled. lol
I sent you some positive energy I stole from one of the chicks at KU so you'll be fine. It's normally reserved for dead people so it is super strong-like you used to be. The good news out of all this is that you'll be a pound lighter. The bad news is that your nude male modeling career is over my friend. I had my appendix taken out when I was in elementary school and it looks like somebody shanked me 20 years later. What kind of supplements are we talking about? I take EAS Betagen and Twin Labs Endurance Fuel pretty regularly, so are we talking over the counter stuff or some Rafael Palmeiro "vitamin B supplements" if you know what I mean? If anything drastic happens to you I volunteer to take over your fantasy teams and turn them into winners.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 10-23-2009 at 01:50 AM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I sent you some positive energy I stole from one of the chicks at KU so you'll be fine. It's normally reserved for dead people so it is super strong-like you used to be. The good news out of all this is that you'll be a pound lighter. The bad news is that your nude male modeling career is over my friend. I had my appendix taken out when I was in elementary school and it looks like somebody shanked me 20 years later. What kind of supplements are we talking about? I take EAS Betagen and Twin Labs Endurance Fuel pretty regularly, so are we talking over the counter stuff or some Rafael Palmeiro "vitamin B supplements" if you know what I mean? If anything srastic happens to you I volunteer to take over your fantasy teams and turn them into winners.
Man you're old

You can't even tell I had my appendix taken out. They made one small incision on my belly button and two small incisions in my lower abdomen. Two years later and they're not visible at all.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Man you're old

You can't even tell I had my appendix taken out. They made one small incision on my belly button and two small incisions in my lower abdomen. Two years later and they're not visible at all.
You have to work with me here, I'm trying to get No Name out of that nude male modeling career, it's killing him. My appendix burst when they were taking it out so I'm assuming they were in a hurry. I knew something was wrong when I woke up in a bathtub full of ice.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:23 PM
riznat

I've had all three of my kidneys removed and here I am, still kicking.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

No name, sorry to hear your not doing so well. I could crack a joke or two but, bottom line is, get better quick and make the day after your surgery the first day of the rest of your life. Good luck and be well.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Nephrectomy

Open or laparoscopic? The latter hurts much less, but everything should heal up fine with time either way.

Limitations after? Well, I think it goes without saying that you should protect the one you'll have left. Your notion of "tip top condition" may not necessarily equate to protecting your body. You will definitely want to discuss things with your nephrologist, particularly if you decide you need to keep taking supplements and other non-prescription drugs. You're going to have to be careful with all sorts of over-the-counter stuff, including pain relievers that you might have been popping after pushing your body.

One kidney is plenty, but if this nephrectomy is the result of your current habits (I couldn't make that assumption from your post, but it sounds like you think it might be?) then I'd suggest you change those habits. Dialysis and sitting on the transplant list aren't fun, and living on someone else's kidney is not the same.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Agree with Wolvie's comments.

So sorry to hear about your current medical problem's Josh. I really do wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Rest assured that pain control is a top priority in nursing/medical care. I'm sure you will continue to lead a very full and productive life. All my best.

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:47 PM
no name

Michigan, it's open surgery because they want to "have more options".

Dooney, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused you years back.

Tikkanen, I get my supplements from mexico.

Old
10-23-2009, 12:40 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Tikkanen, I get my supplements from mexico.
Dude - you are so screwed!

Seriously, every surgery hurts after the fact - trust me, I've been cut open enough. The good news is that it only hurts for a short period of time. I have an unsubstantiated theory that every surgery involves a finite amount of pain - gutting it out in the beginning means that you will feel better faster. Granted, it's only my theory, but it works for me

In the long run, you'll be fine and it won't affect your life much - it might even make your spelling better ( LOL "apandectomy" )

FWIW, you've got my positive karma going for you....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote