HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds 2nd best organization in the NHL, according to HF

Old
10-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Preds 2nd best organization in the NHL, according to HF

Blosers # 1

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Give credit to the Blues, they've done a great job rebuilding with youth and have had some great drafts lately...

I'm pleasantly surprised at the No. 2 ranking for the Preds though as we've had some top prospects graduate lately. But I think the drafting over the past two summers and the continued maturation of some of our collegiate prospects from drafts 3-4 years ago has really rebuilt our depth and in particular given us the best depth at the forward position I've ever seen in this organization.

Still lacking a couple top end skill forwards or even a superstar game-breaker, but I'm very pleased with the depth the organization has built up over the past few seasons and believe once again that the team has a bright future ahead...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
dulzhok

For years, we've had good HF rankings, only to never see anything come from it.

Means nothing to me until we actually win a playoff round or two.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We deserve to be in the top 3-4 in terms of prospects. Its ironic that we are number two, yet only put Wilson in the top 50 prospects. The top 50 list for our prospects is laughable, but I think the organizational rank is around the area it should be.

10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

St. Louis is unquestionably #1. However, I have to know how we're #2 when we have one prospect in their top 50?

The wings are a throbbing weakness of the organization still, with only three guys I would consider for a top six spot long-term (Budish, Beck, and Mike Santorelli), and while we have four centers with NHL potential, one of them is all but done developing (O'Reilly), Spaling seems to have stalled, and Wilson is looking to stick in the NHL right out of the gate. Our defensive depth is solid, but could probably still be improved with another early pick in 2010. Goaltenders are definitely our biggest strength right now, with Atte Engren going unnoticed by HF and Jeremy Smith looking like he might make a splash in the pro ranks this season.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
For years, we've had good HF rankings, only to never see anything come from it.

Means nothing to me until we actually win a playoff round or two.
No kidding. It feels like about eight straight years we've been ranked in the top five. Our on ice NHL team should be absolutely rolling, instead of finally snapping a losing streak one game short of the franchise record. And having power play non-scoring streak reach just short of the franchise record.

Still. It's better then having hockey people look and decide our prospect pool sucks.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Holly Gunning

Since I'm very familiar with the Preds prospects, and voted on the organizational rankings, I guess that makes me a good person to respond here.

The Predators have a number of "very good" prospects, but not many "great" prospects. Only the "great" ones make the Top 50. With 30 teams, the average is 1.67 per team -- that's not many at all.

Nashville achieves the rank of No. 2 by virtue of these many "very good" prospects. There was almost complete agreement about the rank.

The opposite model would be a team like Vancouver, who has a couple great prospects, and then a big dropoff. I guess we'll see which one works out better. It takes a few years of gathering up prospects for the results to come. Several years ago we did have Pittsburgh at the top.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:08 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Goaltenders are definitely our biggest strength right now, with Atte Engren going unnoticed by HF and Jeremy Smith looking like he might make a splash in the pro ranks this season.
When Poile selected Brian Finley, he defended using the sixth pick on a goaltender by saying that 'tenders were at a premium in this league. So you could always use good ones as assets to get what you needed.

So I await the day he moves some of our great goalie depth to get us a high end forward prospect.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Blum qualifies as one of the better prospects in the league Holly. He unquestionably is one of the top 50 prospects in this league IMO....

As for results on the ice....You cannot really fault the farm system. Our young players have been coming through at a pretty decent rate. Blame the Radulov departure, and Poile's ineptitude in the FA/trade market for our on ice team being unable to take it to the next level. We have spent our high picks largely on defensemen and we have reaped the benefits of that. Klein, Sulzer, Hamhuis, Franson, Weber, Suter, Laakso.....all are home-grown talent.....Honestly, if you add Radulov back in, this team is far far better talent wise than it appears currently.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote