HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara's record with the Sens

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
o-dog

vCash: 500
Chara's record with the Sens

It's not a secret that the best thing that the Senators ever did was dish off freeloader Yashin for Chara (and some prospect, can't remember who ) This team was in desperate need of a big presence on the blueline...so they went out and got the biggest! When the deal was made, the jewel was Spezza and Chara was supposed to come over and handle guys in front of the net which was a major concern, especially after their embarassing exit from the playoffs the year before.

Taking a look back at how Ottawa has fared in the post-season with Chara in the lineup, the numbers are quite impressive. Mind you, there have been a lot of other changes and younger players maturing, but Chara's impact can not be overlooked.

Ottawa's playoff record with Chara:

Phi 2001-02 4-1
Tor 2001-02 3-2 (Chara injured for last 2 games)
NYI 2002-03 4-1
Phi 2002-03 4-2
NJ 2002-03 3-4

Including Game #1 of this year, the Senators are 19-10 with Chara in the lineup (0.655 win pct). In the 5 series he has played with Ottawa, only once was he on the ice for a series ending loss and that was to the eventual Cup champion Devils. And it has never been confirmed but, judging by his play in the playoffs last year, Chara was not 100% healthy.

Anything can happen this year but, for this present series, TO needs to beat Ottawa 4 times with only 6 possible chances. A big part of their offence relies on Sundin and if he gets shutdown a la Joe Thornton last year, it will be that much more difficult for the Leafs to get past the first round. Quinn would be best served to keep Sundin away from Chara tonight while he still has the chance because the next 2 games in Ottawa he won't.

And slightly off topic: We're going to take it again tonight Sens fans, I can feel it...GO SENS GO!

Old
04-10-2004, 09:46 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

The Yashin deal is further proof that owners should NOT insert themselves into hockey business. Wang was so desperate to make a splash and Marshall Johnston (or was it Muckler in 2001?) was in the right place at the right time with the right malcontent. It will eventually be considered alongside some other doozies as the most lopsided trades in league history.

Can you imagine how good the isles could've been if they had someone put a trade ban on Milbury?

Old
04-10-2004, 09:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
don't forget Bill Muckalt...

and in 2001 it was Marshall Johnston

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
04-10-2004, 09:52 AM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
The Yashin deal is further proof that owners should NOT insert themselves into hockey business. Wang was so desperate to make a splash and Marshall Johnston (or was it Muckler in 2001?) was in the right place at the right time with the right malcontent. It will eventually be considered alongside some other doozies as the most lopsided trades in league history.

Can you imagine how good the isles could've been if they had someone put a trade ban on Milbury?
It is sickening, I don't know what kind of "agreement" he has with Wang 3 of the best defenceman in this series were Milbury trades, all potential Norris candidates (Chara, Redden, McCabe). The Chara deal was bad enough, but drafting DiPietro over Heatley and Gaborik and then trading Luongo takes the cake. DiPietro is good but...

Old
04-10-2004, 09:57 AM
o-dog

I did this a few years ago just to play around with Visio (and never used it again), so it's probably out of date, but it's an interesting flowchart of Milbury's deals and mishandling of draft picks. When you look at the end result, it's not completely bad but he's still an idiot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Milbury Flowchart.pdf‎ (9.0 KB, 53 views)

Old
04-10-2004, 04:38 PM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
It is sickening, I don't know what kind of "agreement" he has with Wang 3 of the best defenceman in this series were Milbury trades, all potential Norris candidates (Chara, Redden, McCabe). The Chara deal was bad enough, but drafting DiPietro over Heatley and Gaborik and then trading Luongo takes the cake. DiPietro is good but...
Ah pardon me for not being a board regular but I feel the need to comment on few things... one it is way to earlier to pass judgement on DiPietro. Man he is the best puck moving goalie I've seen in a while. If you um watch ah Brodeur hate mentioning his name especially on game night... you know the value of puck moving goalie. Granted Heatley & Gaborik are both pretty much stars... I think DiPietro will be aswell in time. I am not saying that excuses this terrible trade by Milbury though. Boy would I hate to be an NYI fan. I'd much rather have Luongo, Spezza & Chara on Defense! Chara's a monster. I think he's the main reason the Flyers have had such a difficult time with the Sens.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Prince Mercury

I gotta be honest, Chara's a big reason why the Sens did so little tonight.

Closed Thread