HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newsday.com to charge readers? (UPDATE: Not going so well)

Old
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Times is looking hard at pay for content. And as for the Daily News, they have bigger problems. They are truly day to day.
Doesn't the Times already require a subscription or per-article fee to view archived stories?

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Doesn't the Times already require a subscription or per-article fee to view archived stories?
Yes they do.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The Times only charges for articles before 1981 (if you don't have a subscription). They also charge for the crossword puzzles.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Times only charges for articles before 1981 (if you don't have a subscription). They also charge for the crossword puzzles.
However, they have been testing variations on subscription models for the last several years. They will implement one soon.

People who are complaining about this are spoiled. Do you not get that it costs real money to pay Zipay's salary, send him to games, give him a computer, a desk (in an office that requires rent), etc., etc.? And that's nothing compared to the cost a paper like the Times or Washington Post bears for sending a reporter to Afghanistan. And yet you feel you should get the benefit of all of this expenditure for free? (And if you do feel this way, a question for you: why aren't you upset that newspapers aren't - and never were - free?)

The only reason things are free on the internet is that there were any number of stupid "web 2.0" business models that simply focused on acquiring a user base and left figuring out how to monetize it later. Guess what - most of those are now gone or struggling. Web 3.0 will be pay for content, sooner or later.

And if you don't like it because you think for some reason that its a law of nature that all content on the 15 year old internet must be free... not to worry, you will be able to get your news "coverage" from any number of bloggers sitting in their basements.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Web 3.0 will be pay for content, sooner or later.
Depends what you're paying for though. A game streamed online is one thing. An opinion and set of facts available in millions of other places for free? We'll see I guess.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Depends what you're paying for though. A game streamed online is one thing. An opinion and set of facts available in millions of other places for free? We'll see I guess.
Hence my semi-sarcastic point about bloggers.

Reporting, however, will cost money.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I sincerely hope the money they make from these online subscriptions are going back into the newspaper and not into the Dolans' pockets.

The Dolans are quickly becoming into a media monopoly with their ownership of MSG, Cablevision, and Newsday (I love how all the Newsday sports writers are required to write "The Rangers, who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday"). I'm so glad I moved to Manhattan, where Cablevision isn't an option.
And i'm glad i moved to Staten Island for the same reason.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
benneyb

Quote:
However, they have been testing variations on subscription models for the last several years. They will implement one soon.

People who are complaining about this are spoiled. Do you not get that it costs real money to pay Zipay's salary, send him to games, give him a computer, a desk (in an office that requires rent), etc., etc.? And that's nothing compared to the cost a paper like the Times or Washington Post bears for sending a reporter to Afghanistan. And yet you feel you should get the benefit of all of this expenditure for free? (And if you do feel this way, a question for you: why aren't you upset that newspapers aren't - and never were - free?)

The only reason things are free on the internet is that there were any number of stupid "web 2.0" business models that simply focused on acquiring a user base and left figuring out how to monetize it later. Guess what - most of those are now gone or struggling. Web 3.0 will be pay for content, sooner or later.

And if you don't like it because you think for some reason that its a law of nature that all content on the 15 year old internet must be free... not to worry, you will be able to get your news "coverage" from any number of bloggers sitting in their basements.
Understood and agreed, largely. The problem as I see it is the Payment/Revenue Model. Who the **** is going to pay Newsday $20 for monthly access just to view Zips blog? The smart thing, would be to institute an "Ala Carte" model, where the option exists to "buy" views of individual articles, blogs etc.

That I could deal with. But not a monthly fee for a bunch of crap I'll never read.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Why would I pay when I can get the same info from Andrew Gross at the Record for free.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
ThisYearsModel

I thought that ad revenue based on numbers of hits was how you made money on the internet. Newsday can't sell newspapers so they decide to charge the people who access from the net? Oh well. Good luck to them. They might be train blazers. The Times tried this already, then went back to free access to all areas.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

$20 a month makes no sense for a guy like me who grew up on Long Island but now lives in Arizona. I suspect that their financial model will eventually be tweaked to have an out of area tier. One of the real seasons they want to do this is to get revenue from younger users. There is essentially no subscription revenue fromanyone under the age of 30. That's killing the newspaper model.

Old
10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

They should implement a model where you can pay for specific aspects of whatever coverage you want. $20/month is unreasonable if the only reason you're going there is to read Zip's blog. I have no problem with them wanting to start charging for content.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Good news folks, according to Zip himself, we should be able to access the blog.

Quote:
Good news.

I'm told that if you have an RSS feed from this site (and are a non-subscriber) that you will have one click to read the latest post, which is sweet...
Also, if you follow my realtime reports and rumblings on twitter.com/stevezipay, where I almost always post a hyperlink to Blue Notes, that access will continue for free as well. So definitely sign up and follow me over there.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...notes-1.811976

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

If Dolan wants to not charge his IO customers that's understandable but he shouldn't charge his Rangers and Knicks season subscribers either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:00 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I thought that ad revenue based on numbers of hits was how you made money on the internet. Newsday can't sell newspapers so they decide to charge the people who access from the net? Oh well. Good luck to them. They might be train blazers. The Times tried this already, then went back to free access to all areas.

One of my journalism professor's always says that no one has figured out how to truly make money on the internet yet. And the person who does wil be very, very rich. I've been brainstorming for a while. I've got nothing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPackFan07 View Post
There will always be free content to read. When Zipay goes pay next week, I'll just move to another blog. When that goes pay, I'll move on again...and so on...sure I enjoy Zipay and think he has the best blog, but not worth it to pay.
This is one of the problems I have with the proliferation of free (and often unlicensed) content. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not pay for something, but how do we expect these people to continue producing this content if nobody will pay for it?

IMO one of three things has to happen:

1) Companies find a new way to make money without charging people

2) Consumers decide they don't want to pay and the content stops being produced

3) Consumers decide to pay and content continues

Look at the Rangers blog that Sam used to write. They've got Rick doing so many things aside from the Rangers because there's no money there. Eventually we'll be starving for real content from real writers, not bloggers who think they know what they're talking about but have no real access to players/coaches and the writing skills of a 10 year old.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
clmetsfan

Let me get this straight. The newspaper industry is dying because people can find equally good, if not better, information more conveniently online. So Newsday's solution is to charge people to use the more convenient aspect of their product. Freaking brilliant.

It's a wonder the entire newspaper industry has lasted this long.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Hence my semi-sarcastic point about bloggers.

Reporting, however, will cost money.
Is that why ESPN, SI, FoxSports, TSN, etc. charge people for their sites?

Oh, wait.

Old
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

Oh, wait.
But they all have real revenue streams in their broadcast components. Newspapers don't. Newspapers ignored the internet hoping it would go away and it hasn't, so they never transitioned into the 21st century. Craigslist killed their classifieds and thousand word articles about town meetings aren't enough to make people buy papers - especially people under 30 who seem to think more global than local.

When Blueshirt Bulletin went behind the subscriber wall, I read more of the beat guys. When Sam left I went to Zip. When Zip goes, I will go to Gross. And so on and so forth. And, if all the papers go (which they won't) you can bet that SNY and MSG will still be free. (Damn shame MSG.com blowwwwwwwwws.)

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hockey View Post
But they all have real revenue streams in their broadcast components. Newspapers don't. Newspapers ignored the internet hoping it would go away and it hasn't, so they never transitioned into the 21st century. Craigslist killed their classifieds and thousand word articles about town meetings aren't enough to make people buy papers - especially people under 30 who seem to think more global than local.

When Blueshirt Bulletin went behind the subscriber wall, I read more of the beat guys. When Sam left I went to Zip. When Zip goes, I will go to Gross. And so on and so forth. And, if all the papers go (which they won't) you can bet that SNY and MSG will still be free. (Damn shame MSG.com blowwwwwwwwws.)
Precisely, and that's the key problem here, the fact that newspapers are still so far behind in the times because they did nothing to prepare for this inevitability. Now they're stuck desperately trying to charge people for their service even though there are equally reliable news sources that are free.

Old
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Precisely, and that's the key problem here, the fact that newspapers are still so far behind in the times because they did nothing to prepare for this inevitability. Now they're stuck desperately trying to charge people for their service even though there are equally reliable news sources that are free.
Maybe now there are other "free" outlets, but soon they will be charging too. It's just a matter of time. You don't get something for nothing forever.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Again, I just don't get the sense of entitlement. WHY should these things be free for you? Entire organizations should work for $0 just for your benefit? Really?

What do you do for a living? Do you own a deli? Can I have a sandwich for free? Are you a garbageman? Will you take away my trash for free? Are you a lawyer? Will you draft a contract for me for free? (etc., etc.)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 10-27-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If Dolan wants to not charge his IO customers that's understandable but he shouldn't charge his Rangers and Knicks season subscribers either.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's funny and very, very smart. Especially for this subscriber who lives in Phoenix. Great post.

Quote:

Oh, wait.
Actually ESPN and TSN make a lot of money on their Insider tier.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
What's silly about this to me is they'll probably make little to no money off of this, since most people who would probably view the paper online will be able to access it for free whether it's because they're already a subscriber or they're an optimum subscriber.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
xevious

The Times had a subscription service ($50/yr) but they dropped it.

So long, Newsday.

xevious is offline   Reply With Quote