HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newsday.com to charge readers? (UPDATE: Not going so well)

Old
10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Again, I just don't get the sense of entitlement. WHY should these things be free for you? Entire organizations should work for $0 just for your benefit? Really?

What do you do for a living? Do you own a deli? Can I have a sandwich for free? Are you a garbageman? Will you take away my trash for free? Are you a lawyer? Will you draft a contract for me for free? (etc., etc.)
I agree.

Although, the problem is that as long as there are free reputable mediums to obtain news & sports information on the internet, charging for the service is a huge risk.

It's funny, though, that years ago everyone used to buy the newpaper every day in print. People paid to read yesterday's news today.

Now people refuse to buy the newspaper online in which we get that same information. Not only that, but also additional information as it happens. Interesting how things change.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

I just checked, we can still access Zipay's blog for free via RSS, and I presume via Twitter if Zip posts the links there.

RSS link: http://www.newsday.com/cmlink/1.1419...sEnabled=false

Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevezipay

Still good to know...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I sent Dolan an e-mail asking why Ranger season tickets holders (especially those living in Phoenix) should have to pay for Ranger content. We'll see what he has to say.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
An update on this: after three months of the subscriber-only wall, Dolan's Newsday has sold a grand total of....35 subscriptions for online access. Yikes. I would imagine other newspapers would now be hesitant to follow Dolan's lead after seeing this.

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/a...sdays-web-site

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
An update on this: after three months of the subscriber-only wall, Dolan's Newsday has sold a grand total of....35 subscriptions for online access. Yikes. I would imagine other newspapers would now be hesitant to follow Dolan's lead after seeing this.

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/a...sdays-web-site
Wow, nice catch. I was actually just wondering today about how this experiment was working out. I kind of miss having access to Zipay's stuff but since Andrew Gross is basically delivering the same material for free there is no way I would shell out money for Newsday.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:10 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
The web site redesign and relaunch cost the Dolans $4 million, according to Mr. Jimenez. With those 35 people, they've grossed about $9,000.
Holy crap, that is just awful!!! Dolan can barely run a business so expecting him to be a competent owner of a team is just too much to ask.

Quote:
In the short time that the Dolans have owned Newsday, it's been a circus.
Change Newsday to the the Knicks and Rangers and that would be pretty accurate as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

That figure is astounding. Actually, both figures are astounding. $4,000,000.00 for that god awful site? Holy fleecing Batman!

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

All the news outlets will be chargging a fee evantually, some will do better than others.

I see a time where all these services will be bundled together as one subscription.

Just one more thing to pay for.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its a shame too...zip is probably the best beat guy (though im partial to Andrew Gross myself)...but im not paying to read from zip what i can read from all the other reporters for free.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Holy crap, that is just awful!!! Dolan can barely run a business so expecting him to be a competent owner of a team is just too much to ask.

Change Newsday to the the Knicks and Rangers and that would be pretty accurate as well.
How did they get 9,000 from 35 people

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Right? Talk about a catch 22. 300$ per person? For NEWSDAY?

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Haha. Wow. That sucks for Newsday, but once again proves that Dolan is a moron. It's so funny, with his amount of money you don't even need to do anything to be successful. Even if you're a dope, you can hire smart people to do all the work for you, but he's too incompetent to do even that much.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
DontStepanMe

Don't forget that Newsday also upped their price to $1 from $.50 for their paper everyday as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
yea....3 months 35 people at 20 a month ....ummm i think thats 2100.....not 9000

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

can you imagine reading that article and realizing youre one of only 35 people to pay for it? I wonder how many of those ppl are 1)on this board and are diehard ranger fans so they want all the news they can get and 2)how many of them are realizing its a total waste of money and are asking for a refund...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Newsflash: Ranger's ticket prices increased approx $3,991,000

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
yea....3 months 35 people at 20 a month ....ummm i think thats 2100.....not 9000
The article arrives at $9000 by taking the $260 for yearly website access multiplied by the 35 people that purchased it. I don't know if you pay per month or all at once. Either way, just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
Newsflash: Ranger's ticket prices increased approx $3,991,000
Hahaha! Yeah, pretty much how it's gonna work.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Remember, though, Cablevision and Optimum Online subscribers get the website for free. So, it's not like the reporters are only getting 35 people to read them.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Correct they give it to their loyal customers for free. Cablevision, Optimum...

They never expected to make a killing off subscribers. When it comes to news its the same as it ever was. They make $$$ from advertisers. And when they book the readership you can bet they include "ALL OF CABLEVISION AND OPTIMUM have full free access to this wonderful content. These are the cream of your demographic man"

Dolans empire practically prints money.

I wish he knew more about Hockey... he seems to care, but he's not a hockey guy. Sather is a safe GM. He's old school, he's connected...

I use to love the faux phone call transcripts from a few years back. We haven't had one of those in a while...

01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
17futurecap

I didn't think the numbers would be that bad, but expected it to not be good. I mean it is not like we are talking about a national paper here like the Times or WSJ. Many locals get it for free because of the optimum online, and how many people not in this area are in need of news about Long Island? Also if they were they can probably can the same news from the Post or News which are still free.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:25 PM
OverTheCap

Newsday spent $4 million on a website that is not user friendly. It's difficult to navigate and isn't easy on the eyes.

If Newsday didn't intend to market the website to paid subscribers and were anticipating most of the users to be free subscribers, they never should have spent so much money revamping the website. The user interface is so bad that even as a free subscriber I avoid the site.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Crease

There's really no incentive for anyone to sign up for Newsday when they can get still get their online news elsewhere for free.

That being said, without government intervention, print media will go the way of the dinosaur within a few years.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I didn't think the numbers would be that bad, but expected it to not be good. I mean it is not like we are talking about a national paper here like the Times or WSJ. Many locals get it for free because of the optimum online, and how many people not in this area are in need of news about Long Island? Also if they were they can probably can the same news from the Post or News which are still free.
There was a time when Newsday was a great newspaper--they covered national and international news, as well as local news beyond Long Island. With the rise of the internet and the ability of peopelto get their news online, unless you have interest in a local area, local newspapers are just not going to survive.

Of course, there once was a time (way back when) when the New York Post was a well respected afternoon newspaper that was read not only for its sports, but also financial news. That changed the day it changed ownership.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Again, I just don't get the sense of entitlement. WHY should these things be free for you? Entire organizations should work for $0 just for your benefit? Really?

What do you do for a living? Do you own a deli? Can I have a sandwich for free? Are you a garbageman? Will you take away my trash for free? Are you a lawyer? Will you draft a contract for me for free? (etc., etc.)
This is the way the world should be, but it isn't.

There should be no money period.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
There's really no incentive for anyone to sign up for Newsday when they can get still get their online news elsewhere for free.

That being said, without government intervention, print media will go the way of the dinosaur within a few years.
Eh people said that about the post office and that hasn't happened yet.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote