HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Ellis Appreciation Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
  #26
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 50
for Ellis

another GREAT effort last night.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
  #27
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,281
vCash: 500
That pass to Goose was great.

Apreeeeeesh.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  #28
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,234
vCash: 500
Would you say Im crazy if I said he is one of, if not THE best forecheckers on the team?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
  #29
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Would you say Im crazy if I said he is one of, if not THE best forecheckers on the team?
He's good. The effort is there, but he's not as strong on the puck as someone like Hecht and not as crafty as someone like Connolly.


Last edited by vcv: 01-28-2010 at 02:32 PM.
vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
  #30
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Would you say Im crazy if I said he is one of, if not THE best forecheckers on the team?
In the last 3 or 4 seasons, there are 2, maybe 3 other guys that come to mind when I think of who can maintain possession of the puck along the boards like that. Zubrus and Hecht come to mind. Gaustad and Grier have shown flashes of it here and there, but Ellis was an absolute beast last night, and has been the most consistent guy this season at it. I still feel like I"m missing someone though.

Guys like Connolly and Briere are a different animal, in that they're using stick handling and quick feet to keep the puck away from the defense.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
  #31
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
He's good. The effort is there, but he's not as strong on the puck as someone like Hecht and not as crafty as someone like Connolly.
He makes up for it by just outworking the opposition.

There's no coincidence that the last time we beat Ottawa when he was in the top six.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
  #32
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,234
vCash: 500
it infuriates me that when someone in the top 6 is taking a dump on the ice, Ruff goes to the bottom 6 and bumps someone up... but its NEVER Ellis... always Mair, Kaleta, Goose, Kennedy, Grier.... but never Ellis, the hardest worker on the team...

if you want to send a message, send it with the guy who deserves it most.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
  #33
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I don't disagree in the least. But you can't point to anything on the ice in the sense that you can with a lot of others on the team.

And again, it's not a bad thing. I've been pleasantly surprised, and I love the quote in the original post. Awesome.
He doesn't do anything well except hold the puck in on the forecheck and play puck possession... you know, his job. :joshjull:

Sometimes a guy's one outstanding attribute has zero to do with his bio-mechanical advantages but rather his ability to leverage that which he has to its fullest extent.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
  #34
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Also, Ellis only has one move when he wants to get rid of the puck on the forecheck: he comes out from behind the net and when he crosses the goal line, he spins around and gets the puck to the front of the net, whether or not anyone is there. Every time.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
  #35
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
When the injuries hit we'll be glad we have a depth player like Mair.
Absolutely. I don't understand why people cannot see the advantage to having a surfeit of solid, professional role players available at a moment's notice.

Paetsch is in the same position on defense and, I guarantee that if we go deep in the playoffs he will make a significant contribution one night that we'll talk about for years. It's the nature of this game.

Why do the Devils keep Jay Pandolfo around?

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
  #36
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Also, Ellis only has one move when he wants to get rid of the puck on the forecheck: he comes out from behind the net and when he crosses the goal line, he spins around and gets the puck to the front of the net, whether or not anyone is there. Every time.
4th liners, getting the puck to the net... everytime. yea, that's something not to like

I'd like somebody on a line with Vanek who consistently got the puck in the goal crease... unlike say a certain center who consistently carries the puck and turns it over.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
  #37
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
4th liners, getting the puck to the net... everytime. yea, that's something not to like

I'd like somebody on a line with Vanek who consistently got the puck in the goal crease... unlike say a certain center who consistently carries the puck and turns it over.
You're missing the point. It's that he does it the same exact way every time, and it's usually a blind pass.

I'm not trying to put him down or anything. Just an observation.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
  #38
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,229
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it infuriates me that when someone in the top 6 is taking a dump on the ice, Ruff goes to the bottom 6 and bumps someone up... but its NEVER Ellis... always Mair, Kaleta, Goose, Kennedy, Grier.... but never Ellis, the hardest worker on the team...

if you want to send a message, send it with the guy who deserves it most.
I don't disagree at all. It probably hurts Ellis that he's primarily a LW, and we have lots of those. All those other guys are primarily C/RW. IIRC, when Goose got his shot, Roy was moved out to LW. Seems like his position doesn't help him in this regard. He and Mair have two of the highest Corsi ratings on the team, so they clearly get a lot of offensive zone time.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
  #39
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
I guess I appreciate that he isn't hurting the team in anyway, but I also know that the second the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone, I have nothing to look forward to from him. He separates himself from the Matt Ryan's and to some extent, Daniel Paille's, because he embraces his role and plays error free hockey, but I can't get too excited about a guy who doesn't really hit much, doesn't really fight, doesn't intimidate his opponent, and has average offensive skills at best.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
  #40
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't disagree at all. It probably hurts Ellis that he's primarily a LW, and we have lots of those. All those other guys are primarily C/RW. IIRC, when Goose got his shot, Roy was moved out to LW. Seems like his position doesn't help him in this regard. He and Mair have two of the highest Corsi ratings on the team, so they clearly get a lot of offensive zone time.
Ellis can play any spot. They're using him more at center now which i like. last night was Kennedy-Ellis-Grier

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
  #41
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I guess I appreciate that he isn't hurting the team in anyway, but I also know that the second the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone, I have nothing to look forward to from him. He separates himself from the Matt Ryan's and to some extent, Daniel Paille's, because he embraces his role and plays error free hockey, but I can't get too excited about a guy who doesn't really hit much, doesn't really fight, doesn't intimidate his opponent, and has average offensive skills at best.
that statement is ludicrous.

things to look forward to on a typical matt ellis shift
- sustained offensive zone forecheck/pressure
- wearing down of the opponents line
- not getting scored against
- pucks to the net (that's where they have to go to score)

I'd love to see what Ellis could do in the top 6. Especially on a 2nd line where NOBODY is helping eachother, and nothing is working...

...warning bias alert

although its hard to think anyone would have success with Roy, he compliments no one but himself...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
  #42
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that statement is ludicrous.

things to look forward to on a typical matt ellis shift
- sustained offensive zone forecheck/pressure
- wearing down of the opponents line
- not getting scored against
- pucks to the net (that's where they have to go to score)

I'd love to see what Ellis could do in the top 6. Especially on a 2nd line where NOBODY is helping eachother, and nothing is working...

...warning bias alert

although its hard to think anyone would have success with Roy, he compliments no one but himself...
I'm all for giving it a try. He plays a simple game and I like that, I just think he'd find himself in over his head on the 2nd line. Either way, like you said, playing with Roy probably doesn't sound that appealing even to Ellis.

The other thing I'll give Ellis credit for is he's one of the few forwards who plays a North-South game and doesn't make weak passes in the neutral zone just to defer responsibility. So...the more I think about it...I guess he should be appreciated on this team.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
  #43
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,153
vCash: 500
Ellis is just great down low, you can tell he just frustrates defenders because they can't work him off the puck in the corners. It's one of the things Kennedy did so well at the beginning of the season as well. When you can't steal the puck away, that means offensive zone time, and you do it enough you're going to draw penalties, even if it doesn't result in high quality scoring chances.

Yesterday a couple different shifts his line was able to hem in the Parise/Langenbrunner line just by working the puck down low and shielding it from the defenders. I don't care that they didn't generate a great offensive chance, but if you're able to neutralize the opponent's top line for a couple of shifts like that, that's worth something.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:32 AM
  #44
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,046
vCash: 500
"The way Matty Ellis has played, it's really tough to keep him out of the lineup. I think we'll have to just rotate a couple guys and keep everybody going. If you look at it, he deserves — just on work ethic alone — to be in the lineup every night."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/940180.html

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
  #45
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I guess I appreciate that he isn't hurting the team in anyway, but I also know that the second the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone, I have nothing to look forward to from him. He separates himself from the Matt Ryan's and to some extent, Daniel Paille's, because he embraces his role and plays error free hockey, but I can't get too excited about a guy who doesn't really hit much, doesn't really fight, doesn't intimidate his opponent, and has average offensive skills at best.
What he does with the puck down low is a thing of beauty. As a coach, I love watching him work down low. I suppose that makes me a bit of a technical hockey geek but I appreciate how important what he does is. It will be doubly so in the playoffs.

He helps keep the other team pinned in their zone and wears down their defense by making them work for the puck. All of which gives our defense and goaltender a break and enables our top offensive forwards to work a against a softened up/worn down defense.

As LDS pointed out , if his line pins another teams offensive players in their zone, thats almost as good as a goal. Sometimes your best defense is a extended puck possession cycle in their zone.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
  #46
SabresFreak97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cheektovegas, NY
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
I think him and Kennedy worked real well the other night. Ellis deserves more Playing time. I think he is better than mair. I would actually love to see:

Kennedy-Roy-Ellis

Maybe Roy might learn a few things about puck control and feeding the puck to his teammates. Maybe with Roy's ability to Div...I mean draw penalties this line can create headaches. The only problem is someone would have to move up to play with Vanek and I don't see a player able to do that considering our only other top 6 center on this team is with Pommers-Hecht. Maybe all our "Lazy" players need to work with someone that knows how to work so maybe:

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville
Vanek-Gaustad-Kaleta
Kennedy-Roy-Ellis
Grier-MacArthur/Mair-Stafford

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
  #47
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,967
vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Ellis is just great down low, you can tell he just frustrates defenders because they can't work him off the puck in the corners. It's one of the things Kennedy did so well at the beginning of the season as well. When you can't steal the puck away, that means offensive zone time, and you do it enough you're going to draw penalties, even if it doesn't result in high quality scoring chances.
The key to Ellis' strength along the boards is that he keeps both hands on his stick. It's very difficult to move him or get an angle when he gets into the tripod position. All he has to do is turn his butt towards the opponent to protect the puck. It's almost impossible to get the puck from him without double teaming him. It's rare for Ellis to lose his stick, while it happens to other players on a regular basis.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
  #48
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
ImpressedDAHagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,692
vCash: 500
yeah ellis is fun to watch. expecially when we are playing a soft defense.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
  #49
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
I'd be interested to pair him with Vanek. Dig the puck out, throw it toward the crease, ka-ching.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
  #50
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Remember this guy? Whatever happened to him?

But seriously - why hasn't he been swapped for Special Neids yet?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.