HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What does the term "a tilt" mean?

Old
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
The Goaltending Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
What does the term "a tilt" mean?

Dumb question coming from someone who has been watching hockey as long as I have been, but ever since watching Canadian broadcasts, I've heard the phrase "That game had a pretty good tilt" or something along those lines. What does the term "tilt" mean?

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:04 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
A fight.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:05 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Was a good tilt.
Means a competetive hard played game or sometimes a scrap.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Tilt also means to slightly slope something. "I tilted one back and got hammered."

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
jessebelanger

any competition, really.

a fight, a game, whatever.

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

It comes from jousting (aiming the lance). It basically means "combat", and is used to refer both to fights and games.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:11 PM
CanadaBacon

Fight

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
A tilt is a fight. Also sometimes called a tilly.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

In ancient times, fights were determined by which fighter could "tilt" the other guy, or make him lean over. This was the birth of proper posture nagging; you wouldn't want a son who would lose tilts because he slouches. They obviously started calling those fights "tilts."

Side note: "breasts" became "****," originally from "tilts" referring to the effect large breasts have on one's lower back and general posture. Women were not allowed to fight because they could be easily tilted.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Cawz

Kind of in tune with this, I always thought that "icing" and "power play" were odd terms.

In hockey, if you shoot the puck down the ice, its called "icing". In basketball, if you throw the ball down the court, should it be called "courting"? In Football if you kick or throw the ball down the field, should it be called "fielding"? Its kind of odd that the playing surface is "verbed" to describe the act of shooting the playing object down said surface.

Power play I always thought was a funny term as well, since you only score on, what, 10% of them? Thats not all that powerful. "Man advantage" may be a better description. It still sounds funny, but it more literally describes what is happening, since you have the advantage of men. "Short handed" works since you are short of hands when you are down a man, but maybe it should be "short manned" or "man disadvantage".

"Face-off" is kind of a funny term as well (as opposed to "puck drop"), but its used in other instances as well (for example, political opponants face-off against each other) so it doesnt seem too out of place. Icing and powerplay were always the two terms that I thought must sound odd to people who dont speak english or weren't raised watching hockey

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:58 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Kind of in tune with this, I always thought that "icing" and "power play" were odd terms.

In hockey, if you shoot the puck down the ice, its called "icing". In basketball, if you throw the ball down the court, should it be called "courting"? In Football if you kick or throw the ball down the field, should it be called "fielding"? Its kind of odd that the playing surface is "verbed" to describe the act of shooting the playing object down said surface.

Power play I always thought was a funny term as well, since you only score on, what, 10% of them? Thats not all that powerful. "Man advantage" may be a better description. It still sounds funny, but it more literally describes what is happening, since you have the advantage of men. "Short handed" works since you are short of hands when you are down a man, but maybe it should be "short manned" or "man disadvantage".

"Face-off" is kind of a funny term as well (as opposed to "puck drop"), but its used in other instances as well (for example, political opponants face-off against each other) so it doesnt seem too out of place. Icing and powerplay were always the two terms that I thought must sound odd to people who dont speak english or weren't raised watching hockey

Thats not exactly the definition of icing.

PS Breast became "****" because a "tit" is a woman; -- used in contempt. Not because they tilt.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabby View Post
In ancient times, fights were determined by which fighter could "tilt" the other guy, or make him lean over. This was the birth of proper posture nagging; you wouldn't want a son who would lose tilts because he slouches. They obviously started calling those fights "tilts."

Side note: "breasts" became "****," originally from "tilts" referring to the effect large breasts have on one's lower back and general posture. Women were not allowed to fight because they could be easily tilted.
Sounds like a wag to me.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Thats not exactly the definition of icing.
Yeah, I know. I just felt that I didnt have to explain it fully on here.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
milbs06

a fight.

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
good tilt either means a good fight, or even just a good game overall.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Lario Melieux*

Hmmm i always thought a good tilt was like a one-sided game. Like saying "that game had a good tilt to it" means like the ice was tilted in one team's favor. Guess I'm wrong.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It's what happens when you are continuously getting beat by scrubs who catch runner-runner straights while you are holding pocket face cards, then get steamed and try to catch up by overbetting crappy hands like KJ offsuit pre-flop.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post

I kept getting this image in my head while reading this of some real nervous guy asking a question and then just starts rambling and questioning everything and everything gets really awkward.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
It comes from jousting (aiming the lance). It basically means "combat", and is used to refer both to fights and games.
This. Like the phrase "tilting at windmills," which comes from Don Quixote. I imagine a century or so ago some commentator used the word and it stuck around ever since, because I seriously doubt very many people know what "tilt" means, but a lot of people know what "good tilt" means in reference to a sport.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote