HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Thanks for everything Lackey.

Old
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Tfighter

vCash: 500
Just wanted to add if Vlad is going to be gone after this year, I will be a sad person. He's one of my favorite players of all time. Figgins and Lackey can be let go if they price themselves too high.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfighter View Post
Just wanted to add if Vlad is going to be gone after this year, I will be a sad person. He's one of my favorite players of all time. Figgins and Lackey can be let go if they price themselves too high.
I will be, too. If the price is right, I'd love to see Vlad back, but considering how broken down he is, it might be best to let him go. I'll be very sad the day he leaves, though.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
This is completely off topic for what is being discussed but as Angel fans how would you feel about signing Garrett Atkins this offseason?

With Figgins leaving there will be a hole there and Atkins who had a terrible year and most likely won't be offered a contract in Colorado could be had on the cheap with the possibility to really produce. Just curious what Angel fans think of him....

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
This is completely off topic for what is being discussed but as Angel fans how would you feel about signing Garrett Atkins this offseason?

With Figgins leaving there will be a hole there and Atkins who had a terrible year and most likely won't be offered a contract in Colorado could be had on the cheap with the possibility to really produce. Just curious what Angel fans think of him....
I know the Angels made inquiries to the Rockies in 2007 about him but nothing came about. If Figgins left, he might be able to fill the 3b spot but mostly that will be filled by Brandon Wood. They also liked Atkin's hometown angle (Orange, Ca - UCLA). But with Morales at first and Figgins/Wood in the lineup, there may not be a place for him. (Perhaps DH? if Vlad goes, but I doubt it.) Atkins made $7M in 2009, I am not sure what he will be looking for this season (and assuming he is a free agent). With the terrible year, he might be a bargain but I doubt he drops to the $3/5m range the Angels would be asking ; given Abreu made $5m with a great year. Of course, his Colorado stats will be discounted by teams due to the mile high effect of Coors Field.

He'll find a decent place, not too sure it will be with the Angels.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post

If Atkins struggled in the NL (arent you his friend or something?) I cant see him being successful in the AL, unless his struggles are some sort of anomaly. Same thing with Matt Holliday. Some team is going to spend big on him, and if its an AL team they are going to be just as disappointed in his production as Oakland was this year.

If Figgins leaves Brandon Wood needs to get the playing time. They gave Aybar at least half the games when OC left and need to do the same for Wood if they want anything to come of him.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Finnpin

I followed baseball little bit when I was a kid...Strawberry and Canseco are the only players I remember from that time. Then I didn't follow it at all. Kinda felt it was boring game.

Well now that I got a tv channel that shows the games...I decided to watch some about a week ago and I have to say I like it even though the games can last over 4 hrs

And when something "weird" happens in the game I google the rules and try to learn more.

And as a major rookie newbie baseball follower I say Fuentes' pitching looked awful there...though win is a win and now go beat the Yankees x 2!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:09 AM
baxterbarton

My dad said Lackey just spent big money on a suite at the new Cowboy's stadium in Dallas and of course he's from Texas......I hope to god he doesn't go to The Rangers.

baxterbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:38 AM
sammyp

Send a message via AIM to sammyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
ya it will.
And what do you think his contract will look like?

sammyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Static

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyp View Post
And what do you think his contract will look like?
5/90

Old
10-24-2009, 03:57 AM
sammyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
5/90
Umm, no chance.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Static

Quote:
Umm, no chance.
hah, ok.

He'll get that because of the playoffs on top of how weak this FA class is.

Last edited by Static: 10-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old
10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
hah, ok.
5/90 is a reasonable contract for Lackey.

We have to resign Figgins, he is a huge catalyst for the offense and is so versatile that he is a coaches dream.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Well now that I got a tv channel that shows the games...I decided to watch some about a week ago and I have to say I like it even though the games can last over 4 hrs
That has more to do with the 5 minute commercials and Girardi's propensity to use as many pitchers as humanly possible.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 03:26 PM
sammyp

Quote:
hah, ok.

He'll get that because of the playoffs on top of how weak this FA class is.
I'll put a good amount of money on it.

This FA class is actually pretty deep as far as starting pitchers are concerned. Lackey will not get 18 million/year -- I seriously doubt he gets anything more than 12.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

So, with the rain out today and possibly tomorrow, if the game goes to 7, do you start Lacky against CC?

Vinegar Strokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
So, with the rain out today and possibly tomorrow, if the game goes to 7, do you start Lacky against CC?
YES!

Old
10-25-2009, 01:02 AM
SmackCrackleNPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
That has more to do with the 5 minute commercials and Girardi's propensity to use as many pitchers as humanly possible.
Don't forget Molina and Posada having a chat with the pitcher before every pitch to talk things out.

Yeah, I think if we can win game 6, put Weaver in the bullpen and Lackey to start. We'll be going with everything we got. Heck, if it comes down to it Weaver should be ready for game 6 in the bullpen, but hopefully won't be used. Believe in Saunders!

SmackCrackleNPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
5/90 is a reasonable contract for Lackey.

We have to resign Figgins, he is a huge catalyst for the offense and is so versatile that he is a coaches dream.
We don't have to resign Figgins. He is a perennial playoff failure. I'd rather bring up Wood and see what he can do. If he lives up to half his potential he will be a solid player. But Figgins does this every fall and I'm not falling for this **** anymore.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
We don't have to resign Figgins. He is a perennial playoff failure. I'd rather bring up Wood and see what he can do. If he lives up to half his potential he will be a solid player. But Figgins does this every fall and I'm not falling for this **** anymore.
They've been doing that for like 3 years now and Wood hasn't shown in the least that he can hit major league pitching. He's Dallas McPherson V2.0

Old
10-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
They've been doing that for like 3 years now and Wood hasn't shown in the least that he can hit major league pitching. He's Dallas McPherson V2.0
Aybar didn't look great either during his first couple years when used sparingly, and this year he was a .300 hitter. Kotchman also had similar struggles when used sparingly, and then ended up hitting nearly .300 in his first full year.

That said, at this point I'd agree. Wood's shown almost nothing at the Major League level and is looking more and more like a bust with each passing day. Maybe that will change with playing time, but I would guess no.

This talk really bums me out, though, as it makes me remember the incredible(at the time) infield prospect depth the Angels had with Kotchman, Kendrick, Wood, McPherson, Aybar and Callaspo(I don't include Morales because he was mainly projected as an OF at the time). Such major talent, so little results. It also sucks majorly that while Stoneman almost refused to deal one of them, the two guys that did end up getting traded, Kotchman and Callaspo, might be the two best of the bunch.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:52 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
I know it's kind of off-topic, but Lackey won't get anywhere close to 18 million/year. I'd be surprised if he got more than 10 or 11 per year.
haha Lackey is a #1 starter on 80%-90% of the teams in the league. Your telling me that the Yanks or Red Sox wouldn't put up 15 million a season? Look t the AJ Burnett deal! Lackey is a better overall pitcher and younger so why wouldn't he get more $?

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
haha Lackey is a #1 starter on 80%-90% of the teams in the league. Your telling me that the Yanks or Red Sox wouldn't put up 15 million a season? Look t the AJ Burnett deal! Lackey is a better overall pitcher and younger so why wouldn't he get more $?
the problem for lackey is that the yankees already blew their wad on starting pitching last offseason with sabathia and burnett. i doubt they want to have another one of those contracts at the same time.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
He needs at least a full season under his belt before you make a statement like that. Look at Morales, Kotch, Aybar... they all got more time than Wood has had to adjust. Baseball players take time to develop... too soon to write him off he hasn't had a full opportunity yet... just small stints with the big club.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Krog View Post
the problem for lackey is that the yankees already blew their wad on starting pitching last offseason with sabathia and burnett. i doubt they want to have another one of those contracts at the same time.
There's another team in NY that could use him at top of their rotation. Plus, the Yankees lose over $35 million in salary. Sure they need to fill other holes, but they realistically have atleast $40-45 million that they can spend without going over $210,000,000 which they have never reached.

Old
10-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
He needs at least a full season under his belt before you make a statement like that. Look at Morales, Kotch, Aybar... they all got more time than Wood has had to adjust. Baseball players take time to develop... too soon to write him off he hasn't had a full opportunity yet... just small stints with the big club.
I'd be glad to keep faith in his development if he'd actually show some sort of talent at the major league level. But he hasn't. He's got nearly twice as many K's as hits in his MLB career. The point is that he's looked absolutely atrocious. Kotchman and Aybar didn't look great when they got their callups, but Wood's making them look like HoFers.