HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Girardi!?

Old
10-23-2009, 04:55 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Yeah Girardi can't play in Torts system at all, that's why Tortorella plays him the 2nd most minutes among all defensemen and is third in minutes behind Staal and Gaborik for the whole team.

And with Girardi being 2nd amongst defensive scorers on the team and 2nd in hits and 2nd in blocks. His play has been terrible. Really, lets dump him quick.
Thank You.

if theres anything about Girardi's game I would like to see improved on it would be his hitting, fighting/willingness to throw down, crease clearing, and so on...we need more of all.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:57 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
lol ok one pass has been to someone. He's made a ton of passes that just get flung into the neutral zone or directly to other players.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Girardi has been up and down already this season. But he's always up and down, so it's not surprising. He's a good third pairing guy, adequate second pairing guy. Asking him to play top pairing minutes is a stretch.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Yeah Girardi can't play in Torts system at all, that's why Tortorella plays him the 2nd most minutes among all defensemen and is third in minutes behind Staal and Gaborik for the whole team.

And with Girardi being 2nd amongst defensive scorers on the team and 2nd in hits and 2nd in blocks. His play has been terrible. Really, lets dump him quick.
Yea! And his passing is terrible! Did you see that one last night to Kotalik in the 2nd period?

In all seriousness, he has played better and probably should be getting bottom-3 minutes for us. For all the fanfare Gilroy has been just as brutal at times. I know it's his rookie year so I'll cut him some slack, my point is that there's been plenty of blame to go around in terms of how our defensemen have played thus far.

10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Yea! And his passing is terrible! Did you see that one last night to Kotalik in the 2nd period?

In all seriousness, he has played better and probably should be getting bottom-3 minutes for us. For all the fanfare Gilroy has been just as brutal at times. I know it's his rookie year so I'll cut him some slack, my point is that there's been plenty of blame to go around in terms of how our defensemen have played thus far.
I'm not saying Girardi doesn't have his ups and downs. but it was Staal who gave away the puck twice and henrik let in a bad goal. the forwards can't get the puck out or take a pass. so this is all Girardi's fault.??

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:00 PM
jniklast

I think for most games this season Girardi was the better of the duo with Staal. He made some mistakes as well, but I think he is ok. There are worse defensemen this season.

But like others have said, Girardi really is a good 2nd pairing guy, he shouldn't really be on the first pairing. But that's not his fault, but due to the fact that we don't really have any defensemen playing like a 1st pairing dman.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:39 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I'm not saying Girardi doesn't have his ups and downs. but it was Staal who gave away the puck twice and henrik let in a bad goal. the forwards can't get the puck out or take a pass. so this is all Girardi's fault.??
IMO, Girardi should not have flung that puck around the boards on the Zubrus GWer. Take the hit, keep control of the puck, and find an easier way to get it out of the zone or even start a rush.

Was it a bad goal by Hank? Sure.

Did Kotalik make the best effort to get to it? Absolutely not.

But was the whole sequence started by Girardi making a questionable at best decision under pressure? Yep.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Did somebody actually try to say Girardi was a good passer?

Enjoy Danny G as much as you can guys. he's gone after the season. The only reason why he gets a lot of minutes is because this team has no veteran depth at the position and the kids are too raw to play 18-22.

Seriously, Girardi logging significant minutes is an indictment to the quality of the unit as a whole, not a barometer of how well he plays.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I called Danny G the "Golden Boy" last season.

Finally everyone understands that...but a few are underrating him now.

He is a good #4 dman. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't mind him on the Rangers as long as he's not logging over 20 minutes.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I called Danny G the "Golden Boy" last season.

Finally everyone understands that...but a few are underrating him now.

He is a good #4 dman. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't mind him on the Rangers as long as he's not logging over 20 minutes.
Compared to the other teams in our division and conference, here's a list of No. 4's according to THN's and NHL.com's updated depth charts:

Ference
Tallinder
A. Ward
Ballard
Mara
Salvador (or Greene)
Witt
Campoli
Coburn
McKee
Meszaros
Ian White
Morrisson
Hainsey

In all honesty, looking at that list, i would say Girardi is better than Witt and Hainsey by a lot, and barely better than Morrisson. Some are debatable, but no way Danny G is better than Mara, White,Coburn, Salvador, A. ward. McKee and Ference. Meszaros and Ballard play for bad teams but i think we all know that both of them would be better for the Rangers than Girardi.

So we have to define "good". I personally thing he isnt the right guy to pair with Staal, but in the long run playing with such a horrible partner may actually help Staal down the road.

Outside of the Devils series in 2008 and the 1st 15 or 20 games of 2008 and 2009, Girardi just hasnt shown me much.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Mara is a bottom pair dman.

Did you watch Mara the last 30 games? He was brutal, just plain brutal.

You saying Mara is easily better then Girardi really puts a downer on your judgment.

Old
10-24-2009, 12:13 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Mara sucked for 30 games. Girardi sucked for his whole life. There's a reason why one was a lottery pick and the other is scrap heap material.but ok, he's better than mara. What about the rest of the list doctor puck? The goal is to compete with the big boys. Its quite obvious our defense doesn't measure up when you have dan "whoops" girardi logging big minutes

I love how the media and now the coach have been saying girardi sucks, yet the experts around here know better and think otherwise

Old
10-24-2009, 12:18 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Mara sucked for 30 games. Girardi sucked for his whole life. There's a reason why one was a lottery pick and the other is scrap heap material.but ok, he's better than mara. What about the rest of the list doctor puck? The goal is to compete with the big boys. Its quite obvious our defense doesn't measure up when you have dan "whoops" girardi logging big minutes

I love how the media and now the coach have been saying girardi sucks, yet the experts around here know better and think otherwise
But yet..Girardi is playing on the to pair with Staal...ok then.

Look, hes not a top 2 defensmean, but he's not trash either. Like I said, he's a good #4 dman. He's not trash like a washed up Mara is.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
But yet..Girardi is playing on the to pair with Staal...ok then.

Look, hes not a top 2 defensmean, but he's not trash either. Like I said, he's a good #4 dman. He's not trash like a washed up Mara is.
Again, girardi isn't playing big mins because he's good. Its because there are no other options. You can't deny that this is his third straight year in which his play has been criticized by the media, fans and/or the coaches

As for mara, its universally known that his play And ice time suffered when his nemesis torts showed up. Mara was our best defensive defenseman for a lot of the last two seasons. You can never say that about girardi at any point of his careerm

We all know that the only reason why people defend that guy is because he's home grown. If he was a ufa or waiver wire guy, he'd be universally hated because his play has been terrible

Old
10-24-2009, 11:22 AM
MPJohnny5

Quote:
Again, girardi isn't playing big mins because he's good. Its because there are no other options. You can't deny that this is his third straight year in which his play has been criticized by the media, fans and/or the coaches

As for mara, its universally known that his play And ice time suffered when his nemesis torts showed up. Mara was our best defensive defenseman for a lot of the last two seasons. You can never say that about girardi at any point of his careerm

We all know that the only reason why people defend that guy is because he's home grown. If he was a ufa or waiver wire guy, he'd be universally hated because his play has been terrible
Thank you I agree 100 percent. Alot of guys get a free pass on here being homegrown, Staal had a very bad night as well but he bounces back which I look for tonight. Lets see how they both do tonight.

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:23 AM
MPJohnny5

I still wanna see a 7th D man to push these guys.

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
eco's bones

On a good defense Girardi is a 5 or a 6. On an average he's a top 4. He's getting more minutes this year because he's a vet and because Roszival has to refind his game.

No way that Mara is better than Girardi. Mara is definitely a bottom pairing guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
On a good defense Girardi is a 5 or a 6. On an average he's a top 4. He's getting more minutes this year because he's a vet and because Roszival has to refind his game.

No way that Mara is better than Girardi. Mara is definitely a bottom pairing guy.
I just don't see it. Please explain or prove to me how girardi is better than mara in any facet of the game aside from his age

Old
10-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I like how people are expecting Girardi to play with the consistency of a 10 year vet. Hell, I even like how people are expecting Girardi to play with the consistency of a 5 year vet.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I just don't see it. Please explain or prove to me how girardi is better than mara in any facet of the game aside from his age
Now how am I going to prove anything to you Scipio when you've already (like myself) made up your own mind on the matter?

You'll have to settle for this. Neither are great skaters but Girardi is better. He's steadier in his own and even more physical (mostly because he's steadier on his pins) while at the same time being less apt to take needless penalties. He's also a better transition player and more adept at getting his shots through and on net in the offensive end. He actually will move a little to change the angle of his shot instead of just putting his head down and blasting away in the relative direction of the opposition net. His relatively younger age doesn't hurt either though I don't know if I'd want to pay him much more than he's making now. Whatever Mara is getting from Montreal probably is too much BTW.

Old
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Now how am I going to prove anything to you Scipio when you've already (like myself) made up your own mind on the matter?

You'll have to settle for this. Neither are great skaters but Girardi is better. He's steadier in his own and even more physical (mostly because he's steadier on his pins) while at the same time being less apt to take needless penalties. He's also a better transition player and more adept at getting his shots through and on net in the offensive end. He actually will move a little to change the angle of his shot instead of just putting his head down and blasting away in the relative direction of the opposition net. His relatively younger age doesn't hurt either though I don't know if I'd want to pay him much more than he's making now. Whatever Mara is getting from Montreal probably is too much BTW.
Ok fair enough. I just want to add that I don't think mara is anything special. Its just that our defense individually has been very average and inconsistent since last season and girardi is no exception

Remember, girardis struggles the last few games are not isolated incidents. He's been battling with issues for almost two seasons. Sooner or later torts will live up to his public gripes and bench him. Not saying its the right move, but anybody who followed torts in tb knows he punished guys who he publicly lashed

Old
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Ok fair enough. I just want to add that I don't think mara is anything special. Its just that our defense individually has been very average and inconsistent since last season and girardi is no exception

Remember, girardis struggles the last few games are not isolated incidents. He's been battling with issues for almost two seasons. Sooner or later torts will live up to his public gripes and bench him. Not saying its the right move, but anybody who followed torts in tb knows he punished guys who he publicly lashed
To me we have guys that may eventually take Girardi's spot--like Sauer, McDonagh, Kundratek--guys that are two way but not big point producers. Even so I think Girardi has value and we could get something decent for him. There are limits to what I would pay him--so I could see moving him if he asked for too much.

Old
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Well Girardi had a strong game last nite especially early on. I noticed Mara played pretty well and cleanly - phsyical presence - clearing the crease.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
Source: Zipays blog

this kids way overrated below average in my eyes. He looks slower and slower and not a good fit for torts system at all. Call up sangs and let girardi have to play for his spot.
Staal hasn't been any better. Not fair to pull aside Girardi because it is evident that Staal isn't suited right now for Tortorella's system. Maybe that will change in the upcoming weeks as they get more accustomed to it but quite frankly both have been underwhelming this year.

Fataldogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
shon

I think it unfair to blame Staal's very inconsistant playing and give aways on Girardi
And last year it was Girardi's fault Redden played bad.
Just blame every play and every loss on Girardi. Again I am not saying G hasn't had his ups and downs.
and to add another comment. Girardi played much better as a rookie call up when he was 22 than Gilroy is now.They are different players but G was much better defensively and still managed to get points too. Gilroy mind you is a great skater.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote