HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyhood Pals Duchene And Hodgson Now A World Apart

Old
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Boyhood Pals Duchene And Hodgson Now A World Apart

Quote:
Hodgson hurt his back training in the summer. At camp, he was diagnosed with a herniated disc, but cleared to play. Yet he never felt right. All the power seemed to have bled from his legs.

The Canucks sent him back to Brampton. He was crushed.

A second opinion from The Cleveland Clinic confirmed the herniated disk. But doctors there recommended he stay off skates indefinitely.

Then it got worse. Canucks coach Alain Vigneault inferred Hodgson was using the injury as an excuse for a poor camp, trying to ''roll the (blame) in a different direction.''

It was an odd thing to say about your franchise's #1 prospect. Some twisted motivational technique, perhaps.

The words stung the kid. But he refuses to fire back - saying something negative about the organization that drafted him is not in Hodgson's DNA.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=295772

Last edited by Alan Jackson: 10-23-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Sorry, didn't see this in the "Prospects" thread.
Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Lard_Lad

Well, some good news in there: "Hodgson is getting a little closer to 'fine' every day. His back is finally starting to feel right again. He hopes to be cleared to skate next week."

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
sticknrink

Vigneault is such a *******.

I ****ing hate that coach.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I have been able to justify a lot of the challenges/criticisms AV has thrown to his players, but I hope Gillis called him into a room and stuffed his testicles into a drawer for that one. You don't screw with a kid's back; never mind being a hockey player, a bad back can complicate every single facet of your life and everyone should be cautious about it.

Hope Cody makes a full recovery and is able to have a strong year.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Hodgson oozes character. It's awesome.

10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

That was a good read, almost depressing before being uplifting. At least Hod(g)son will have a great chance of being a Calder candidate next year...

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Jesus Quintana*

AV should come out publicly and clarify his comments - apologize if necessary. This organization has not had a prospect with this much upside since they drafted Pavel Bure. They need this kid - and the last thing they need is AV mucking it up with his public comments.

Publicly admonishing Coho makes no sense. The guy had a **** camp - fine.....how in gods name does it help to call him out for it?

Given Grabners resurgence after recall - it makes me wonder if Coho might have turned a corner here eventually - I guess it was too much risk to take if he did not. Even still - AV needs to learn to shut the **** up.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:49 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Quintana View Post
AV should come out publicly and clarify his comments - apologize if necessary. This organization has not had a prospect with this much upside since they drafted Pavel Bure. They need this kid - and the last thing they need is AV mucking it up with his public comments.

Publicly admonishing Coho makes no sense. The guy had a **** camp - fine.....how in gods name does it help to call him out for it?

Given Grabners resurgence after recall - it makes me wonder if Coho might have turned a corner here eventually - I guess it was too much risk to take if he did not. Even still - AV needs to learn to shut the **** up.
I agree.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Ok did anyone notice this part:

"I know it's been really tough for Cody," says Duchene. "I gave him his space for a while when he was sent back. But he texted me after we beat Vancouver, and after I scored my first goal, just to say congrats

Cody is congratulating Duchene for beating Van City? I don't know if I misinterpreted this but it sounds that Hodgson was happy that Vancouver is losing.

Stupid AV .

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Juicey
aka HamhuisHip

Quote:

Should this come to pass, I imagine it wouldn't happen until next training camp when it is brought back into the spotlight more intensely.

Juicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
It seems to me like AV "calling out" Hodgson has been overblown, and probably a little manufactured by the media. I was out of the country from the 3rd to the 15th so I might have missed Vigneault's additional comments. What I remember during the camp was Hodgson saying that his stride wasn't there because of the back injury, but that wasn't an excuse and he wanted to earn a spot on the roster. I remember Vigneault saying if a player is cleared by the doctors then they're accountable for their play, or something along those lines.

How much farther did Vigneault go in his criticism? This smells like media blowback after all the hype that surrounded Hodgson last year.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:01 PM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post

"I know it's been really tough for Cody," says Duchene. "I gave him his space for a while when he was sent back. But he texted me after we beat Vancouver, and after I scored my first goal, just to say congrats

Cody is congratulating Duchene for beating Van City? I don't know if I misinterpreted this but it sounds that Hodgson was happy that Vancouver is losing.

Stupid AV .
Hodgson was congratulating him on his first freaking NHL goal.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I think AV is not the right coach for this team. Call it a crazy hunch.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:

Stupid AV .
That's exactly what I thought.

Old
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:

Stupid AV .
I think you did misinterpret. The congratulations part only applied to when he scored his first goal. The text after the Avalanche-Canuck game was probably some sort of comment about how Vancouver will beat him next time or how it was too bad Hodgson wasn't playing in the game against Duchene or something like that- a joke between friends.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter View Post
Hodgson was congratulating him on his first freaking NHL goal.
But he did not score his first against Vancouver - did he?

Old
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But he did not score his first against Vancouver - did he?
Nope.It was against the Wings,if I not mistaken.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:13 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Duchene's first goal did not come against Vancouver, so he wouldn't be saying congrats after the game vs Vancouver. His first goal was a few nights ago vs Detroit.

I wonder what he did text him after the game vs Vancouver? Let the speculation begin/continue.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Hielo Grande

does anyone have the quote from vigneault? i wud like to read the actual quote and not some paraphrased rhetoric. too often we see vigneault called out when in fact what he had said was taken out of context.

we live in a world where political correctness has displaced common sense. if the team medical staff deemed hodgson to be fit the coach has to accept that. he too is an employee and answers to management.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
does anyone have the quote from vigneault? i wud like to read the actual quote and not some paraphrased rhetoric. too often we see vigneault called out when in fact what he had said was taken out of context.

we live in a world where political correctness has displaced common sense. if the team medical staff deemed hodgson to be fit the coach has to accept that. he too is an employee and answers to management.
If anything, this would cause me to start to wonder about the team medical staff and not AV.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Transom Bob

I generally like A.V. But I didn't like his lack of tact when calling out Cody Hodgson. Cody comes out of the exchange looking like the mature one whereas the Canucks management look a little Mickey Mouse.

I stand by the fact that Hodgson should've been placed on LTIR (if that was possible) and be fairly evaluated when his back fully healed.

On the plus side, I can't wait to see Cody absolutely dominate the World Jrs.

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
If anything, this would cause me to start to wonder about the team medical staff and not AV.
indeed. we saw something very similar with mitchell's back ailment.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I think you did misinterpret. The congratulations part only applied to when he scored his first goal. The text after the Avalanche-Canuck game was probably some sort of comment about how Vancouver will beat him next time or how it was too bad Hodgson wasn't playing in the game against Duchene or something like that- a joke between friends.
Probably you are right - but his first goal was against Detroit.......hence he texted him after they beat Vancouver and after he scored his first goal - just to say congrats.

It is possible, though very unlikely, that he congratulated him both times - the way the comment is written.

Old
10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Meganuck*

ZomG! He Wants THe Canuckz 2 LoZZZE!!!

Jeez, people need to relax.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
He should still have the tact to keep quiet, regardless of what the medical staff has to say. Why not throw Demitra, Salo or Rypien under the bus for being hurt constantly?

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote