HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Boyhood Pals Duchene And Hodgson Now A World Apart

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
  #26
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
ZomG! He Wants THe Canuckz 2 LoZZZE!!!


Jeez, people need to relax.
Hahhahaa..exactly. You people are a bunch of drama queens.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
  #27
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
ZomG! He Wants THe Canuckz 2 LoZZZE!!!


Jeez, people need to relax.
Well - to a degree - but I think given his possible misgivings about his treatment in Vancouver, coupled with the fact that Duchene is his best friend, one might surmise that he was happy the Canucks lost.......that game at least.......it's only natural that if a team cuts someone or fires someone that said person does not really want to see them succeed without him or her - it's easier on the ego if the organization does poorly without you so that you can legitimize your worth - to yourself.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
  #28
Cocomero*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,498
vCash: 500
At this point we have to look at trading Hodgson for pat white and a 3rd round pick. The guy has character issues....

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
  #29
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Quintana View Post
Well - to a degree - but I think given his possible misgivings about his treatment in Vancouver, coupled with the fact that Duchene is his best friend, one might surmise that he was happy the Canucks lost.......that game at least.......it's only natural that if a team cuts someone or fires someone that said person does not really want to see them succeed without him or her - it's easier on the ego if the organization does poorly without you so that you can legitimize your worth - to yourself.
You got all that from one quote? Really?

it's only natural that if a team cuts someone or fires someone that said person does not really want to see them succeed without him or her

Yeah...that's a great attitude to have considering he will be back next year. Lay off the Dr. Phil

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
  #30
fullclip
Prepare to die
 
fullclip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UBC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
ZomG! He Wants THe Canuckz 2 LoZZZE!!!


Jeez, people need to relax.
No kidding. Who cares, he was congratulating his life long friend. People are reading way to much into it.

fullclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
  #31
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,918
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Quintana View Post
But he did not score his first against Vancouver - did he?
No, it was against the Wings. I think you misinterpreted the congratulations Hodgson was giving Duchene. I think the congrats was for his first NHL goal, not winning the game against Vancouver.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  #32
kingfisher
 
kingfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grassy Fields, World
Country: India
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
you guys gotta get off V's case already. if a few sharp words are gonna stunt a kids career i dont want that guy on my team.

sticks and stones may break his bones but i'm sure as hell vigneaults words aren't going to hurt cody

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  #33
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You got all that from one quote? Really?

it's only natural that if a team cuts someone or fires someone that said person does not really want to see them succeed without him or her

Yeah...that's a great attitude to have considering he will be back next year. Lay off the Dr. Phil
No - I did not "get all that" from one quote. If you'll perhaps read my comment more carefully - I was saying that it might cross people's mind that he might have been cheering for Duchene and not Vancouver in that game - given what transpired between him and Vancouver in training camp.

If you are really think that there is not part of Hodgson that would love to see the Canucks struggle this year without him - then fine. I was just saying that I think it's natural for one to want the organization that cut him to not have overwhealming success - in his absence.

If you'll read even further back, I have previously stated that I DO NOT think that the quote infers that Hodgson was congratulating Duchene for beating Vancouver - I was saying that I can see why some might infer that though.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
  #34
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter View Post
No, it was against the Wings. I think you misinterpreted the congratulations Hodgson was giving Duchene. I think the congrats was for his first NHL goal, not winning the game against Vancouver.
No I did not misinterpret that - I agree with you.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
  #35
Hielo Grande
Registered User
 
Hielo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vallarta
Country: Mexico
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He should still have the tact to keep quiet, regardless of what the medical staff has to say. Why not throw Demitra, Salo or Rypien under the bus for being hurt constantly?
probably because demitra, salo and rypien haven't been cleared to play by the medical staff. as for keeping quiet in this city....think about it. we have one of the most demanding media and fan bases in canada.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
  #36
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
you guys gotta get off V's case already. if a few sharp words are gonna stunt a kids career i dont want that guy on my team.

sticks and stones may break his bones but i'm sure as hell vigneaults words aren't going to hurt cody
The key here is that they MAY not hurt the development/relationship of Coho with Vancouver, but they certainly do not help. As such - they are completely pointless and were a stupid thing to do.

AV should apologize and learn to ****. If Coho were staying in Vancouver, I could see calling him out as motivation - but if he is getting sent back, is this salt really necessary to apply to his wounds?

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
  #37
npham
Registered User
 
npham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
If my best friend just beat my NHL team and I was stuck in the minors, my text would be along the lines of "you only won becuase I wasn't there to shut you down, *****." However, I would definitely congrats him for sure on his first goal. People need to relax and realize that being friends since they were little means something other than I hate the Canucks because my injury kept me from making the team and AV called me out unfairly.

npham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
  #38
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
How much farther did Vigneault go in his criticism? This smells like media blowback after all the hype that surrounded Hodgson last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
does anyone have the quote from vigneault? i wud like to read the actual quote and not some paraphrased rhetoric. too often we see vigneault called out when in fact what he had said was taken out of context.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Canucks+...983/story.html

AV comments halfway down. Duthie's paraphrasing is very close to the original quote.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
  #39
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
The TSN story says "he was diagnosed with a herniated disc"?

As far as I recall Hodgson was never diagnosed with a "herniated disc" - which is a rupture leaking inflammatory chemical mediators that cause nerve pain even in the absence of nerve compression.

As I understand the diagnosis it was a bulging disc in the lumbar area that put pressure on sciatic and/or femoral nerve.

I went through this myself (bulging disc) and it is unbelievably painful - I have blown out a knee, separated a shoulder and fractured a few bones (but hey hockey is fun) but nothing compared to the nerve pain I suffered.

As my doctor said at the time "I bet you thought you were dying for the first few hours - and now you just wish you were dead." Truer words were never spoken. The only way to deaden the pain was with a morphine IV drip.

It took me several months for the nerve to regenerate so it was firing on all cylinders and then to get back full strength in the muscles.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
  #40
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by npham View Post
If my best friend just beat my NHL team and I was stuck in the minors, my text would be along the lines of "you only won becuase I wasn't there to shut you down, *****." However, I would definitely congrats him for sure on his first goal. People need to relax and realize that being friends since they were little means something other than I hate the Canucks because my injury kept me from making the team and AV called me out unfairly.
Yeah - let's move on - dwelling on this is becoming tiresome.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
  #41
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The TSN story says "he was diagnosed with a herniated disc"?
Probably Duthie's mistake, the media doesn't tend to be terribly accurate with injury descriptions.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
  #42
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He should still have the tact to keep quiet, regardless of what the medical staff has to say. Why not throw Demitra, Salo or Rypien under the bus for being hurt constantly?
Vigneault did much the same thing to Willie Mitchell in December2007 and early 2008 after his fractured vertebrae was first misdiagnosed as a bruise. As far as Vigneualt was concerned it was simply a question of gutting it up and playing with the pain - Mitchell disagreed and sat out much longer than Vigneault wanted him to.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
  #43
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Probably Duthie's mistake, the media doesn't tend to be terribly accurate with injury descriptions.
Actually more like the media doesn't tend to be terribly accurate in respect of any number of things - injuries, CBA, LTIR, salary cap, sports law issues, etc.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
  #44
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Whether it's because of an injury, or using an injury as an excuse to not try hard, or through outright suckage, the bottom line is Hodgson didn't make the team and can't get another crack until next season. Everything else is just speculative noise.

We'll see where he is next training camp.

Over & out.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
  #45
Hielo Grande
Registered User
 
Hielo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vallarta
Country: Mexico
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
“As far as I know, he has already had two opinions,” Vigneault said after the Canucks practised here for today’s game against the Colorado Avalanche. “He had an opinion back home [in Toronto] from a specialist, who gave the exact same report that our back specialist gave him. If he wants to get a third opinion, that’s fine.

“I think Cody is a very young man who hasn’t had a lot of disappointments throughout his life. He’s probably having as tough time, personally, dealing with this one and trying to find a reason why it happened. We’ve all had times where we’ve encountered disappointment and tried to roll the [blame] in a different direction. We’ve all been through those things. Cody will learn from this.”



i think that is a pretty fair statement on vigneault's part. after all he was basing it on two opinions, one from team medical staff and the other indepentent of the team. and he is probably quite right about hodgson not having many disappointments. he is 19 yrs old and has been a star since he was 6.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
  #46
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Actually more like the media doesn't tend to be terribly accurate in respect of any number of things - injuries, CBA, LTIR, salary cap, sports law issues, etc.
Heh, true enough. Those who can't do, report.

(I mentioned the injury thing because I used to room with a physiotherapist - watching a football game with him usually resulted in listening to an ongoing diatribe about how the announcers and sideline reporters' descriptions of injuries ranged from wrong to very, very wrong.)

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
  #47
MatsNaslund19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
I don't know too much about hockey injuries. But does this mean Cody was playing with a herniated disk during pre-season? Or is this a result of putting to much pressure on his back during those games?
Regardless of the fact, it seems like he should have never been playing in those games, and maybe he forced the issue because he knew he was on the bubble.
Whatever the hell happend, I am hoping some heads roll down at the Canucks Medical Training staff... Sounds to me like he shoulda sat out.

MatsNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
  #48
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
“As far as I know, he has already had two opinions,” Vigneault said after the Canucks practised here for today’s game against the Colorado Avalanche. “He had an opinion back home [in Toronto] from a specialist, who gave the exact same report that our back specialist gave him. If he wants to get a third opinion, that’s fine.

“I think Cody is a very young man who hasn’t had a lot of disappointments throughout his life. He’s probably having as tough time, personally, dealing with this one and trying to find a reason why it happened. We’ve all had times where we’ve encountered disappointment and tried to roll the [blame] in a different direction. We’ve all been through those things. Cody will learn from this.”



i think that is a pretty fair statement on vigneault's part. after all he was basing it on two opinions, one from team medical staff and the other indepentent of the team. and he is probably quite right about hodgson not having many disappointments. he is 19 yrs old and has been a star since he was 6.

Soooo, Cody Hodgson isn't playing any hockey right now because he's pretending to be injured?

I think A.V is being a little condescending here to be honest.

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
  #49
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2
 
UBCsalmonslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver/Nanaimo BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,190
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Hodgson will have a better NHL career than Duchene long term... I would be willing to bet anything on that.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
  #50
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Heh, true enough. Those who can't do, report.

(I mentioned the injury thing because I used to room with a physiotherapist - watching a football game with him usually resulted in listening to an ongoing diatribe about how the announcers and sideline reporters' descriptions of injuries ranged from wrong to very, very wrong.)
You should hear lawyers talk about how the media reports court decisions.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.