HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyhood Pals Duchene And Hodgson Now A World Apart

Old
10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Blane Youngblood

vCash: 500
Basically Vig is saying that Cody is making stuff up in his head and making excuses.

If my boss called me a liar and a whinner in front of everyone I knew, I'd hold it against him forever.

I don't think I'm overblowing this at all. A lot of people have one major thing happen to them at work that forces them to change the way they think about their employer. They don't always act on it right away (say by quitting) but they usually don't forget and when the opportunity to leave comes up they don't hold back.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNaslund19 View Post
I don't know too much about hockey injuries. But does this mean Cody was playing with a herniated disk during pre-season? Or is this a result of putting to much pressure on his back during those games?
Regardless of the fact, it seems like he should have never been playing in those games, and maybe he forced the issue because he knew he was on the bubble.
Whatever the hell happend, I am hoping some heads roll down at the Canucks Medical Training staff... Sounds to me like he shoulda sat out.
According to what I can gather the doctors thought the bulging disc resolved but it caused nerve damage to the spinal nerves to the leg (sciatic and/or femoral). The subsequent follow-up up at the Cleveland Clinic apparently found that was not the case:
Quote:
Earlier this week, Hodgson and his family sought a second opinion from Dr. Tony Miniaci, a world-class orthopedic surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio -- rated as one of the U.S.'s top hospitals -- after the NHL club's top prospect was returned to junior last week following a disappointing preseason.

Vancouver's top draft pick (10th overall) in 2008, Hodgson injured his back in mid-July training with Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner. The injury was diagnosed as a bulging disc that caused shooting pains down his leg. Hodgson missed six weeks of training, but was cleared to return to play during training camp and participated in six preseason games with the Canucks.

Hodgson's agent, Toronto-based Don Meehan, told The Province on Thursday that Miniaci found that the 19-year-old has a bulging disc, which has resulted in nerve damage.
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnew...2-80601278c32d

According to Hodgson the doctors at training camp told him that he would have ongoing nerve damage but apparently the prognosis was that he could not cause further injury. That appears to have been incorrect or at the very least it hampered his recovery.
Quote:
Rookie centre Cody Hodgson has acknowledged he’s still not fully recovered from a back injury suffered earlier this summer.

“The biggest thing is just my power right now,” Hodgson said after the Canucks dropped a 3-2 overtime decision to the Anaheim Ducks at GM Place. “It’s not there.”

Hodgson’s right leg continues to give him problems and he said his back injury resulted in some nerve damage.

“It’s the first two or three steps, that explosiveness, there’s no pop,” he said. “The left leg has it, but the right leg, there’s no explosiveness yet.

“There was some nerve damage, the nerve needs to regrow so the signal gets back to it quicker. That’s what the doctor has been telling me. I am trying not to get frustrated. That’s the biggest thing, I just do what I can with what I have. I can’t look back on it now. I just have to work with what I have.”
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D894638

The nerve will regrow (or regenerate) but is is slow process and until it regrows the nerve will not transmit impulses properly and you get a weakness in the leg and usually muscle atrophy. With the bulging disc not resolved, that is likely while rest has been prescribed after his visit to the Cleveland Clinic.

One might have thought with a valuable prospect like Hodgson the Canucks would have been on the injury much earlier and been more proactive in the diagnosis and treatment.

Now it could something more than just physiotherapy:
Quote:
(Agent Don) Meehan said no specific prognosis came out of the examination.

"Anything is possible," said Meehan. "First you see if physiotherapy is working, then you look at other forms of treatment such as injection or surgery. But those kinds of decisions you leave to the doctors to decide."

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Anonymous User

I woke up late for work today and got fired. Stupid AV. Its all his fault.

Regardless of the outcome at Saturday's game, I will find something to blame AV on. Fire him now!

Get Pat Quinn as head coach.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
Soooo, Cody Hodgson isn't playing any hockey right now because he's pretending to be injured?

I think A.V is being a little condescending here to be honest.
no where did i imply that. what i said is that vigneault based his comments on what he had been told by the team's medial staff and an independent diagnosis and added some insight based on his years and experience. as we age. we acquire wisdom...sometimes. pls re-read the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
Basically Vig is saying that Cody is making stuff up in his head and making excuses.
he isn't saying that at all. again, pls re-read the quote. he is commenting on facts he had at the time. at the time he had two unrelated medical opinions. the cleveland one came later.

part of a coach's responsibility is to impart wisdom on young players, much like a parent does with a child.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He should still have the tact to keep quiet, regardless of what the medical staff has to say. Why not throw Demitra, Salo or Rypien under the bus for being hurt constantly?
He generally treats people all the same - rookie or veteran. As mentioned, he got on Mitchell's case back when he injured his back. He made some disparaging remarks after Salo hurt his wrist; and there's no need to repeat the comments he made about Wellwood the previous season. And these guys are NHL veterans (with the exception of Wellwood - but at least he had some NHL years under his belt).

Sure he has "favourites". So does every NHL coach IMHO.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Quintana View Post
AV should come out publicly and clarify his comments - apologize if necessary. This organization has not had a prospect with this much upside since they drafted Pavel Bure. They need this kid - and the last thing they need is AV mucking it up with his public comments.
No. Gillis is smart and has already taken care of this I bet, between the three of them and maybe even clarified policies around what to say about medical to the media, and who can say what.

You dont air this stuff publically. We are not managed by Burke/Quinn anymore.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
You dont air this stuff publically. We are not managed by Burke/Quinn anymore.
All it takes is one quarter to move this franchise. One phone call.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 05:50 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
According to what I can gather the doctors thought the bulging disc resolved but it caused nerve damage to the spinal nerves to the leg (sciatic and/or femoral). The subsequent follow-up up at the Cleveland Clinic apparently found that was not the case:

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnew...2-80601278c32d

According to Hodgson the doctors at training camp told him that he would have ongoing nerve damage but apparently the prognosis was that he could not cause further injury. That appears to have been incorrect or at the very least it hampered his recovery.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D894638

The nerve will regrow (or regenerate) but is is slow process and until it regrows the nerve will not transmit impulses properly and you get a weakness in the leg and usually muscle atrophy. With the bulging disc not resolved, that is likely while rest has been prescribed after his visit to the Cleveland Clinic.

One might have thought with a valuable prospect like Hodgson the Canucks would have been on the injury much earlier and been more proactive in the diagnosis and treatment.

Now it could something more than just physiotherapy:
Too much conjecture in your post IMO.

His back was hurt, yes. He wanted to play, doctors said he could, yes. Did it slow his recovery? Something no one can answer and never will be able to. His progress could be the same by playing or not playing. Doctors dont know, so how could we? Rehab is a trial and error process on an indvidual basis, following guidelines formed from previous cases of course.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

His back was hurt, yes. He wanted to play, doctors said he could, yes. Did it slow his recovery? Something no one can answer and never will be able to. His progress could be the same by playing or not playing. Doctors dont know, so how could we? Rehab is a trial and error process on an indvidual basis, following guidelines formed from previous cases of course.
It seems quite non-speculative.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I thought that Duchene got his first point against the Canucks didn't he? Duthie may have assumed it was a goal but I think it was a point.

No question Cody probably watched that game on TV and given their history I don't think it's weird he texted his buddy.

Duthie took the harshest portion of AV's quote, I don't think it's really fair but it's not overly important because it's what Gillis thinks that really matters.

In my opinion this is much the same as when Luongo told HNIC after hours that he wants to play for a contender. The way they took that quote and twisted it around in countless articles is very reminiscent of what's happening with AV right now.

Just my 2 cents.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I thought that Duchene got his first point against the Canucks didn't he? Duthie may have assumed it was a goal but I think it was a point.
He got his first point against San Jose on opening night. They played Vancouver next and he was held pointless I believe.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:

While I often (usually, mostly, frequently supposedly) disagree with Coaster, this time I agree with him. The kid can't skate for a month because of the pain and then he's cleared to play NHL pre-season hockey games? Seemed odd to me - warranted more investigation, IMO - the devil is in the detail and Only the Paranoid Survive - esp. when the consequences of an error are very serious.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:06 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Why would AV have to come out and publicly apologize? That's ridiculous. If he thought it was necessary I'm sure he would have talked to Cody in private and clarified his comments. Besides, AV just said that Cody wasn't used to much disappointment in his career which is totally true.

Also, why do we have to act like Cody is some fragile superstar already? If this kid has half the character that Gillis says he has, he will come back better and stronger than last camp and prove AV wrong. As far as I'm concerned he hasn't don't jack to earn AV's respect anyway.

I swear we are raising an entire generation of entitled p****s. You only deserve what you work for and earn.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
adamzilla

I'm sure AV's "calling out" of Cody, if that's what you want to call it, was more of him not wanting the other players to get the impression that they were only on the team because Cody was injured. He wanted them to think they made the team with their play, not because someone else couldn't play.

This is completely overblown.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I swear we are raising an entire generation of entitled p****s. You only deserve what you work for and earn.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

What a slanted article. No mention of the epic failure on behalf of the Canuck medical staff. AV was going on what they were telling him.

Cody isn`t a child, if he can`t handle a bit of criticism, then he`s in the wrong business, or at the very least coming to the wrong franchise.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote