HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

#2 pick offers?

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Steve Latin*

vCash: 500
#2 pick offers?

A Penguins scout in the local newspaper mentioned possibly trading the pick. What would you offer for it?

S L

Old
04-07-2004, 03:22 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
A Penguins scout in the local newspaper mentioned possibly trading the pick. What would you offer for it?

S L
14th overall, 25th overall (potentially, could be 24th or 30th), Jani Rita, depth prospect (Mikka Luoma).

Old
04-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
MTL 2004 1st pick(18th overall),2nd round pick 2005,Ron Hainsey,Marcel Hossa/Tomas Plekanec, and rights for Alexei Kovalev !

Old
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a reasonable question, but I'm willing to bet that Pitt uses the pick. It is often the case that a GM who has no interest in moving a pick makes a public statement or two about looking to make a trade. They do this for a few reasons 1) Keeping up fan interest, 2) Seeing what shakes loose, 3) Trying to make their intentions before the draft to keep other rival GMs on their toes, 4) trying to keep all possible options open.

Pitt has got a great collection of young prospects. I'll bet they add to the bounty this year.

04-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Blackjack

I think they also do it to put more pressure on the other GMs. When the fans know that a pick like that is available, they will want their GM to make an offer.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Thomas Vanek,13th Overall Pick and Denis Ezhov for 2nd pick

I would love to get Cam Barker.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Woah thats a bit steep, I think your underestimating Vaneks value to the sabres.

5th Overall + Krys Kolanos+2nd for the 2nd Overall

Old
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Woah thats a bit steep, I think your underestimating Vaneks value to the sabres.

5th Overall + Krys Kolanos+2nd for the 2nd Overall

I would've stopped at the 5th overall and one of Kolanos or a 2nd rounder (not Phoenix's)

Old
04-07-2004, 06:51 PM
McCabe24

maybe it's possible that Pittsburgh and WAshington swap 1st for 2nd +...like what Pittsburgh and Florida last year (but i think it will take more than Samuelsson to even it out... )

Old
04-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24
maybe it's possible that Pittsburgh and WAshington swap 1st for 2nd +...like what Pittsburgh and Florida last year (but i think it will take more than Samuelsson to even it out... )
If that's what it would take I'd throw a guy like Beech or Eaves or Murley in it.

I'd gladly do 2nd overall, one of our second rounders plus one of Beech/Eaves/Murley for 1st overall

Old
04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
If that's what it would take I'd throw a guy like Beech or Eaves or Murley in it.

I'd gladly do 2nd overall, one of our second rounders plus one of Beech/Eaves/Murley for 1st overall
as steep as it sounds, i think gmgm would ask for the 2nd overall, orpik, and whitney for the first.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
as steep as it sounds, i think gmgm would ask for the 2nd overall, orpik, and whitney for the first.
I'll take Malkin if that's the case.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:49 PM
punchy1

This will be a very interesting draft due to the limited amount of bonifide top drawer talent that is in it.

Certainly there will be some real gems that come of it as there always is but, other than Ovechkin the rest all have some flaws to their game and I tend to agree with the pundits who fancy that Malking down would have ended up being selected at about the 13th pick in last years draft if not a little further.

To me that means that if you really wanted Malkin or another of the top 10 (as I do) I could see making some deals that would involve your first round pick this year as well as a third or fourth or a prospect/player that would be around that depth level.

Spending any more would be akin to overpaying for a 13th on pick last year.

I fancy Malkin to be a right smart talent who will make a first liner in a couple of years but who knows, I would rather draft him (or one of the other lads this year in the top ten or actually top 8 for my pound) if I were the Pens and add to their talent pool.

A player like Malkin who is supposed to be more of an offencive player then allot of his draftmates would likely give the Pens a true shot at slowly developing him into a sniper in a couple of years.

I would offer the 11th pick in this years draft as well as Tomas Zizka for Malkin and a 7th and wouldn't mind it when CP hung up on me.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
This will be a very interesting draft due to the limited amount of bonifide top drawer talent that is in it.

Certainly there will be some real gems that come of it as there always is but, other than Ovechkin the rest all have some flaws to their game and I tend to agree with the pundits who fancy that Malking down would have ended up being selected at about the 13th pick in last years draft if not a little further.

To me that means that if you really wanted Malkin or another of the top 10 (as I do) I could see making some deals that would involve your first round pick this year as well as a third or fourth or a prospect/player that would be around that depth level.

Spending any more would be akin to overpaying for a 13th on pick last year.

I fancy Malkin to be a right smart talent who will make a first liner in a couple of years but who knows, I would rather draft him (or one of the other lads this year in the top ten or actually top 8 for my pound) if I were the Pens and add to their talent pool.

A player like Malkin who is supposed to be more of an offencive player then allot of his draftmates would likely give the Pens a true shot at slowly developing him into a sniper in a couple of years.

I would offer the 11th pick in this years draft as well as Tomas Zizka for Malkin and a 7th and wouldn't mind it when CP hung up on me.
I'd laugh and slam the phone.

I've been high on Malkin all season but IMO he would have gone first last year.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
I've been high on Malkin all season but IMO he would have gone first last year.
I thought you said Malkin was just a "hamburger."

Old
04-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Compared to Ovechkin he is.

I'm still very high on him though, but compared to Ovechkin it's not even an argument.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Profet

Quote:
Compared to Ovechkin he is.

I'm still very high on him though, but compared to Ovechkin it's not even an argument.
until Pittsburgh trades down...then Malkin becomes "one concussion away" again...

Old
04-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Find me one post where I said anything bad about Malkin or anything about him being "one hit away" then you have grounds to argue with me.

One concussion? 10 more and he'll be like Lindros...

The hamburger thing doesn't count since it was comparing the two and I stand by it. Only a fool would think that Malkin is even close to Ovechkin. Turn the tables and Malkin is the T-Bone compared to Olesz or Barker or whoever the hell ends up going third.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Buffalo Stylee

Quote:

Sorry. That is just...insane.

Vanek is our potential franchise forward. Barker is not the second coming of Bobby Orr. To give up someone who could score 40 goals a year, the 13th pick who could land someone like Valabik, and one of our few decent d-men prospects for one player who won't be any better than Vanek is just too much.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

If you want to move up to get Barker don't bother going after the second...the third will be much cheaper.

The odds of the Penguins going after Barker are almost non-existant.

Old
04-08-2004, 08:58 AM
HockeyMan9

Quote:

If Barker's still on the bored Columbus would take that deal in a heart beat for the #4 pick.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:55 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9
If Barker's still on the bored Columbus would take that deal in a heart beat for the #4 pick.
as much as I want Columbus to get Barker, I'd take that deal too.
Not that I think it would happen.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:49 AM
pitthockey81

Given the fact that the pens are loaded with a glut of solid prospects in their system, the need for a star player is much more important for the rebuilding process. IMO they are only one or two players away from becoming a playoff team, and getting a player such as Malkin (who is still 17 and shows flashes of being better than Ovechkin) would bring the Pens that much closer to where they want to be. That said, they WILL NOT trade the second overal pick. Malkin will be playing in Pittsburgh next year between Morozov and Kraft (if he can get out of Russia).

Old
04-08-2004, 11:56 AM
pittengineer

As much as I like Ovechkin, Malkin actually seems to fit the pens system better. Not to mention he fills a need(top-line center), scoring forward, and is rumored to be closing in on 6'3, 200lbs at 17. Not to mention he has the most potential in the entire draft.

Like I said, as much as i like ovechkin, very happy to pick malkin. This is especially true since most scouts and GM say that the gap between the two is very narrow now. This is w/ Malkin being one of the youngest guys in the draft and a whole year or more younger than Ovechkin.

No way in hell would Orpik or Whitney be traded ALONG with the pens 2nd overall. That would be plain dumb.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittengineer
As much as I like Ovechkin, Malkin actually seems to fit the pens system better. Not to mention he fills a need(top-line center), scoring forward, and is rumored to be closing in on 6'3, 200lbs at 17. Not to mention he has the most potential in the entire draft.

Like I said, as much as i like ovechkin, very happy to pick malkin. This is especially true since most scouts and GM say that the gap between the two is very narrow now. This is w/ Malkin being one of the youngest guys in the draft and a whole year or more younger than Ovechkin.

No way in hell would Orpik or Whitney be traded ALONG with the pens 2nd overall. That would be plain dumb.
that's why it's very unlikely to move up to #1 for the pens. someone's going to have to seriously overpay to get it.

Closed Thread