HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

HNIC could start dropping Leafs games if they continue to lose

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2009, 08:48 PM
  #26
LastCupUpNorth
Registered User
 
LastCupUpNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Why would CBC want to drop the Leafs if they keep losing?

Wouldn't the Leafs loosing boost ratings?

LastCupUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:56 PM
  #27
Cappo40*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
Must've been something said by the Canucks fans...Better watch to not get a tampering charge against us, or CBC for that matter :/

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
  #28
Platapie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
What the **** is the obsession with National games? I'd prefer the Leafs not be viewed nationally, that way people can finally shut the **** up about the Eastern/Toronto conspiracy.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
  #29
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
It's all about ratings. If the Canucks can get more followers/viewership than the leafs or any other Canadian team, then by all means, you can be "Canada's team".
I think the biggest issue most of us have is the sense of entitlement that leaf fans seem to have with regards to national coverage. Of course statistically TO probably has more followers, but most of that is due to the population of the the Toronto area. Make the Toronto broadcast a regional telecast so the majority of leaf fans can watch them. Give the hockey fans in Canada a chance to regularly view the other Canadian teams. The Leafs are the sole factor I do not watch HNIC, I will use any resource available to watch the habs or sens. The Leafs have been using HNIC as their personal resource for recruiting fans. The CBC is a national network and it's time they stood up to the Leafs and started showing all of Canada's teams equally.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
  #30
Pandemic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver. BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I think the biggest issue most of us have is the sense of entitlement that leaf fans seem to have with regards to national coverage. Of course statistically TO probably has more followers, but most of that is due to the population of the the Toronto area. Make the Toronto broadcast a regional telecast so the majority of leaf fans can watch them. Give the hockey fans in Canada a chance to regularly view the other Canadian teams. The Leafs are the sole factor I do not watch HNIC, I will use any resource available to watch the habs or sens. The Leafs have been using HNIC as their personal resource for recruiting fans. The CBC is a national network and it's time they stood up to the Leafs and started showing all of Canada's teams equally.
Understandable.. I'm a Westerner as well, (not a canucks fan so don't flame lol). I cover more of the Eastern conference, bruins, habs, sens, caps. They just seem to have more exciting hockey and rivalries than the west does. Luckily, I have center ice, but a lot of people I know who don't are fed up that they're stuck here having to watch leafs games on saturday nights (especially since they haven't been doing too well). But I guess my argument to that would be.. Enjoy what you get.. or Pay for other options lol.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
  #31
Platapie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Of course statistically TO probably has more followers, but most of that is due to the population of the the Toronto area.
You don't say? With all due respect, it isn't probably, and yes, it is due to our fricken population.

Quote:
Give the hockey fans in Canada a chance to regularly view the other Canadian teams.
Uh what? Torontonians are Canadians, and the dominance of numbers dictates what the CBC will show. See the problem is, if you take the Leafs off the CBC, a ton of people will switch to the Leaf game and/or get pissed that they can't watch the Leafs (there are a lot of Leaf fans out of Toronto).

Quote:
The Leafs have been using HNIC as their personal resource for recruiting fans. The CBC is a national network and it's time they stood up to the Leafs and started showing all of Canada's teams equally.
Stop being dense. The CBC isn't recruiting fans, and in fact you already answered why they have so many. An even split makes 0 sense, especially because really it's only the Eastern teams that need be discussed, and because Ottawa's fanbase is rather tiny, and Montreal has a sizable population that prefers to watch another network that caters to them exclusively. Damn RDS and their nefarious recruiting strategies.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:20 PM
  #32
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,516
vCash: 500
I always watch a western game after the Leafs.

Not sure there is a huge demand for Senators games out here?

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:30 PM
  #33
HocusPocus
Registered User
 
HocusPocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Give the hockey fans in Canada a chance to regularly view the other Canadian teams. .. The Leafs have been using HNIC as their personal resource for recruiting fans. The CBC is a national network and it's time they stood up to the Leafs and started showing all of Canada's teams equally.
CBC televises the vast majority of Sens games in the Ottawa area, and some Habs games in English in the Habs regions as well. They certainly have the capability of making these games the national feature rather than the Leafs. They don't do that though, presumably because they simply don't get as many viewers for these games out of their home markets as they do for the Leafs.

It's not a conspiracy, it's not a bias, it's just plain numbers. More viewers = more revenue = more chance that the Leafs will be broadcast out of market vs the other Eastern teams. I'm just don't see what's so hard to understand about this? If you want to hate the Leafs for having more broad support (or at least, attracting more viewers out of market, supporters or not) then go ahead, but it's childish and whiny.

HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
  #34
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I think the biggest issue most of us have is the sense of entitlement that leaf fans seem to have with regards to national coverage. Of course statistically TO probably has more followers, but most of that is due to the population of the the Toronto area. Make the Toronto broadcast a regional telecast so the majority of leaf fans can watch them. Give the hockey fans in Canada a chance to regularly view the other Canadian teams. The Leafs are the sole factor I do not watch HNIC, I will use any resource available to watch the habs or sens. The Leafs have been using HNIC as their personal resource for recruiting fans. The CBC is a national network and it's time they stood up to the Leafs and started showing all of Canada's teams equally.
There are a helluva lot of Leaf fans outside the Leaf region. Look at the buildings in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, etc... The leaf fans nearly dominate the places where you actually here "Go Leafs Go" when the Leafs are playing an away game. I've lived in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, there are more Leaf fans than any other fanbase, Montreal coming in second.

The reason why the Leafs get a national broadcast is because they have a national base, Leaf fans are more widespread than any other fanbase. Montreal get national broadcasts on RDS, which caters to all of their french speaking fans. Nobody cares about Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary except for the people in those regions.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
  #35
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Goodwill x View Post
Maybe Leaf haters are tunning into watch them suck it up.
I watched the game against NYR specifically for this reason. Not trying to troll but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a portion of the audience that did tune in for this reason. However, this novelty will probably wear off once the leafs go from a 'team without a win' to just a 'bad team'.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:21 PM
  #36
Pandemic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver. BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
There are a helluva lot of Leaf fans outside the Leaf region. Look at the buildings in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, etc... The leaf fans nearly dominate the places where you actually here "Go Leafs Go" when the Leafs are playing an away game. I've lived in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, there are more Leaf fans than any other fanbase, Montreal coming in second.

The reason why the Leafs get a national broadcast is because they have a national base, Leaf fans are more widespread than any other fanbase. Montreal get national broadcasts on RDS, which caters to all of their french speaking fans. Nobody cares about Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary except for the people in those regions.
Please don't be so ignorant as to assert that Montreal only has french speaking viewers. RDS isn't national in the same sense that CBC is. CBC is a publicly owned channel in Canada, meaning that all Canadians pay for it through taxes. Almost everyone who owns a TV in Canada has access to it. There are thousands of ENGLISH speaking Montreal fans here in Vancouver that wish that Toronto wasn't the only team being show every saturday night (im not one of them), but I think you guys should try to understand the argument that some people are trying to make here.. It's not just because Toronto is the center of the universe or whatever, but some people just want a change. And on a publicly owned channel, I see nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions. If it was a channel such as TSN or something.. then there isn't much of an argument as tax payers aren't paying for it.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
  #37
Donky
Registered User
 
Donky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Goodwill x View Post
Maybe Leaf haters are tunning into watch them suck it up.
This....plus the Leafs have had good matchups...

In the past I've never been interested in Leaf games and in fact have never really had any hate on for the Leafs or you Leaf fans. Hell, we've hardly ever had any games against the Leafs for years now... and you're way over in the black hole at the center of the universe...

but now getting to watch the Brian Burke trainwreck in progress is too good to pass up. I can't stand the guy and his bluster and it is fun to watch him fail. I'm sorry for guys to have to deal with him for the next five long years.

A longtime Canuck fan.

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
  #38
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
You don't say? With all due respect, it isn't probably, and yes, it is due to our fricken population.



Uh what? Torontonians are Canadians, and the dominance of numbers dictates what the CBC will show. See the problem is, if you take the Leafs off the CBC, a ton of people will switch to the Leaf game and/or get pissed that they can't watch the Leafs (there are a lot of Leaf fans out of Toronto).



Stop being dense. The CBC isn't recruiting fans, and in fact you already answered why they have so many. An even split makes 0 sense, especially because really it's only the Eastern teams that need be discussed, and because Ottawa's fanbase is rather tiny, and Montreal has a sizable population that prefers to watch another network that caters to them exclusively. Damn RDS and their nefarious recruiting strategies.

Yes, and that population lives in the TORONTO area, hence my suggestion for a regional broadcast.

Yes there are many Leaf fans outside of Toronto, but I would argue that there are at least as many if not more Habs fans across the country.

I would suggest, sir, that it is you that are being dense, or at least not willing to see another point of view. The CBC's mandate is to promote all things CANADIAN, not all things Torontonian. Your argument about RDS is laughable, only hab fans have any interest in watching their telecasts. There are fans of every teams spread across the country. The Leafs have been using every resource possible for decades to protect what they consider to be their market. It was the case 40 years ago when they tried to block a Vancouver franchise. It is the case today when blocking a Hamilton franchise. Somehow Al Strachan (who I hate most of the time) loses his job at HNIC after writing a book that portrays the Leafs in a negative light.... I'm sure that's a coincidence.

The CBC and Leafs deserve each other.... the rest of the country deserves better.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
  #39
Oggleson
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa/Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
dude, I personally don't care whether we are national or not....as long as I can see the Leafs...it matters not to me if the Sens or Habs are national at the same time...

makes no difference to me personally...
For me not in the GTA and stuck on basic cable, it's making me more motivated to watch the Leafs games on Saturday night, just in case the next week they pipe a Habs game into Nova Scotia and I have to go without for a few weeks or longer, whereas before I could just take for granted the Leafs would be on. It happened a few times last year when I sat down to HNIC and found out they were playing the Habs game in Nova Scotia. I suppose it is only fair to give the many Habs fans out here a chance to see their team prime time now and then, so I shouldn't complain, but from a purely personal selfish perspective, I'd rather watch a mediocre Leafs team and how their prospects are doing than a 'more exciting' Canadiens or Senators game. Ah well, at least TSN is picking up the slack with more national games.

Oggleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:29 PM
  #40
Donky
Registered User
 
Donky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
There are a helluva lot of Leaf fans outside the Leaf region. Look at the buildings in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, etc... The leaf fans nearly dominate the places where you actually here "Go Leafs Go" when the Leafs are playing an away game. I've lived in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, there are more Leaf fans than any other fanbase, Montreal coming in second.

The reason why the Leafs get a national broadcast is because they have a national base, Leaf fans are more widespread than any other fanbase. Montreal get national broadcasts on RDS, which caters to all of their french speaking fans. Nobody cares about Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary except for the people in those regions.
I agree with you to a point. In the past this was much more true. But you now hear and see a lot of Canuck fans around the league too. The reason why there are still Leaf fans in Vancouver and the rest of the country is that the Leafs were the western most Canadian team until 1968. A lot of these old time fans are still around. As the younger generation comes up the Leaf nation will continue to shrink in the western markets. I hardly ever see any Leaf jerseys out here anymore whereas in the past they were fairly common. Hab fans are still around in numbers though probably because of the French connection. Honestly it won't be long until the Leafs are just another team in all the other markets except Toronto...

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:34 PM
  #41
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
There are a helluva lot of Leaf fans outside the Leaf region. Look at the buildings in Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, etc... The leaf fans nearly dominate the places where you actually here "Go Leafs Go" when the Leafs are playing an away game. I've lived in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, there are more Leaf fans than any other fanbase, Montreal coming in second.

The reason why the Leafs get a national broadcast is because they have a national base, Leaf fans are more widespread than any other fanbase. Montreal get national broadcasts on RDS, which caters to all of their french speaking fans. Nobody cares about Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary except for the people in those regions.

Your argument about the buildings rings true for the habs as well.

I don't live in Ottawa, Edmonton or Calgary but I care about those teams. You project to much of your own opinion in your statement. One reason so many NFLDers are Leaf fans is that they have been fed a steady diet of Leafs on TV. If they were given a broader cross section of hockey to view, I think it would be very hard to argue that the Leafs have been the most entertaining team to watch for the the past 40 years. Toronto tends to be very American in their view of the rest of Canada, and treat the rest of Canada as the Americans treat the rest of the world.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
  #42
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust
 
cupcrazyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
CBC is public and the biggest tax contribution is from this part of Ontario,so they better show whatever the hell we want. This is a joke of a channel as it is
i'll boycott HNIC & start looking for a girlfriend with my free time.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:34 AM
  #43
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
The ratings for last weeks' Leaf game were very strong considering how bad the team's been playing.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 12:38 AM
  #44
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
It amazes me after all this time other teams' fans don't get it. The Leafs aren't "Using" CBC. CBC is using the Leafs.

The Leafs get the highest ratings. Higher ratings=more money for CBC per 30 second commercial. CBC's budget has been drastically cut. To claim tax payers are footing the bill is deceptive. They are depending on commercial revenue to stay afloat.

I'll try to find a link but I know the Senators got on nationally one week on HNIC about 3 years ago and it was the worst ratings CBC had in a decade. Is that really catering to Canadians more?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:17 AM
  #45
tzinc
Registered User
 
tzinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leafs Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
if only hamilton had won a team then even southern ont might have been spared watching the leafs we would get coyotes games a good team

this could be karma for torpeding their bid

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 01:55 AM
  #46
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Sorry

the only way HNIC drops the leafs is if the rating drop--the fact they are losing is moot.

If the rating go down they could get dropped

and the moment they win 1 game the cry will go out to put them back on

We have this debate every season when the leafs struggle. This is one of the reasons why we have double header hockey now.

For those who are two young to remember the 80's--there was one game and 99% of the time it was Toronto. In the west if you had a flames v nucks game--In Edmonton you would get the leaf game.


It was funny one year--second to last Saturday of the season--I think the leafs were playing the whalers in a mean nothing game and CBC logic kicked in and Vancouver VS the jets--in a battle for the last playoff spot--cbc covers the leaf coast to coast

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 02:02 AM
  #47
dhabums*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Stupid move by CBC.

Even when the Leafs lose people will still want to watch them, and the Leafs have one of the most loyal and populous followings in all of the NHL.

Why would CBC slit it's own throat?

This is kind of like why does NBC air Notre Dame football games, even when they lose? It's the same difference. Viewership=ratings+ads+money.

The Toronto media seems to become more and more stupid every year. They are hypocrites with players, trades and the way the team should be run. I am tired of hearing their otherwise brainless banter.
You seemed to have missed the point of the article:
Quote:
The longer the slide goes, however, interest is bound to wane and those numbers surely will soften. And then Moore and the other CBC suits will take a closer look at how best to serve the country.

I don't actually think they'd do it: CBC has never been interested in providing Canadians with entertaining programs. They'll continue to allow TO to choose their own schedule of top notch opponents on Saturday night to allow CBC execs to applaud themselves over the ratings and for Leafs fans to delude themselves into the importance of the franchise.

******* I hate 4pm home games. Anyone think CBC can convince the NHL to allow the Leafs to just be the home team tomorrow night?

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 02:14 AM
  #48
dhabums*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It amazes me after all this time other teams' fans don't get it. The Leafs aren't "Using" CBC. CBC is using the Leafs.

The Leafs get the highest ratings. Higher ratings=more money for CBC per 30 second commercial. CBC's budget has been drastically cut. To claim tax payers are footing the bill is deceptive. They are depending on commercial revenue to stay afloat.

I'll try to find a link but I know the Senators got on nationally one week on HNIC about 3 years ago and it was the worst ratings CBC had in a decade. Is that really catering to Canadians more?
Someone at CBC should read their own mandate: Leafs games every Saturday violates at least 3 sections. Indeed they get the highest ratings, but they are given the most prime games in the most prime time slot.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 02:21 AM
  #49
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
I don't actually think they'd do it: CBC has never been interested in providing Canadians with entertaining programs. They'll continue to allow TO to choose their own schedule of top notch opponents on Saturday night to allow CBC execs to applaud themselves over the ratings and for Leafs fans to delude themselves into the importance of the franchise.

******* I hate 4pm home games. Anyone think CBC can convince the NHL to allow the Leafs to just be the home team tomorrow night?

Toronto doesn't choose the scheduele, CBC does. CBC paid the NHL 80 million for HNIC Canadian team rights and they get a say in the scheduele as a result.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 02:22 AM
  #50
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
if only hamilton had won a team then even southern ont might have been spared watching the leafs we would get coyotes games a good team

this could be karma for torpeding their bid
Silly me and I thought it was a judge in Arizona that decided on it.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.