HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh to the Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
  #51
habs1988
Registered User
 
habs1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: I don't know
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
I suppose you're right. He was traded from the Habs - therefore no longer noteworthy.
Did you follow him last year?

If not, you can't say that. I followed him and he was NOWHERE near a great prospect. He'll be a good stay-at-home number 4-5 d-man. Think of a lesser version of Hamrlik.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 04:55 PM
  #52
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyHabs View Post
Incorrect, according to Cammalleri and Gionta. Nice try though.
If Gainey did not pony up a combined $11 million for both of those players,they weren't going to Montreal.

Keep believing players would prefer to play in Montreal if the Habs aren't the highest bidder. You must believe in the easter bunny too,

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
  #53
monoKESSELitis
 
monoKESSELitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You guys call it university.

McDonagh is a junior in college who has not declared his major.

Real serious student.
This is a terribly ignorant comment. Lots of kids need time to not only figure out what to do with their lives, but also who they are as an individual. That's why most students usually take a year or two taking general courses that DO count towards their program as ELECTIVES. Otherwise, it's really easy at that age to simply just choose something half-heartedly and spend a few years pursuing it, only to figure out later that it wasn't what you were looking for. Then bam! - However many years you spent on it wasted.

I can tell from this comment that you sir, have never attempted any form of post-secondary education. Or have, but couldn't hack it and dropped out in your first year.

It's alright though, you don't have to admit it

monoKESSELitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:31 PM
  #54
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
NCAA Prospects Update
Calendar October 21, 2009 | Posted by Leslie Treff

I am starting to see more of why the Canadiens were disappointed in Ryan McDonagh and were willing to let him go. I actually watched the “tape” of the game twice, once just to focus on McDonagh, and I did not like what I saw. He is big and strong, and for a guy his size, he moves well. But his decision-making with the puck was terrible (can’t tell much without the puck because I wasn’t viewing it live). He does not move well along the offensive blueline and does not have the patience to wait until he has a good shot. He definitely cannot run a power play, and his decision to rush into the offensive zone with the puck with the game on the line, led to an odd man rush the other way and cost Wisconsin the game. Yes, he is tough and not afraid to throw his weight around, but he just does not look like he has what it takes to be a top pairing defenseman.

I will have to watch closely over the coming weeks, but McDonagh looks to be more of a 4 to 5 guy, not a 1 or 2. And that may be why Montreal was willing to let him go;

This quote is from Leslie Treff HF writer for NYR; she is a no ******** evaluator of talent; I was ecstatic when we first acquired McDonagh but also stunned that Gainey would give up on him that soon; Gainey is not as dumb as Montreal fans think; Sather, because of Derek Stepan, has scouts at Wisconsin all year; obviously Slats saw what Gainey saw, but felt that disposing of Gomez' contract was worth the risk of acquiring McDonagh; now NYR coaching staff when they finally get Ryan have a terrific prospect, just not a 1 or 2 that everyone speculates
I like Leslie, but one opinion hardly makes a players future. Let alone when it's based on a single game.

He had 3 assists last night and, at least based on everything I've read and people I've spoken to, looked fantastic. There's no risk involved in acquiring a good prospect that isn't quite living up to expectations. Especially when we dump a bloated, undeserving contract in the process. If McDonagh ends up being a physical, stay-at-home #4 guy, that's absolutely fine by me and, frankly, just what the Rangers need.

Rangers fans were spewing the same nonsense for the last two years that Habs fans are repeating now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
  #55
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
most nj fans I talked to seem to speak very highly of Gionta. I think he could be the Habs best pickup from the summer, really like the way he's playing, never stops working which is refreshing to see.
He's highly inconsistent, and friends of mine who are Devils fans got fed up with him after a while. We'll see how long he plays like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Well, for sure signing Gaborik was a huge sign.

BUT...

Higgins was a non-factor for the Rangers this year.
IF Gaborik gets hurt and play 60 games, it's gonna hurt Rangers alot.

In Montreal, the line with Gomez is amazing.

Do you really think MTL lost the trade?
Absolutely, Gaborik is worlds better than Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, etc...

Gomez is a 55-70 point center who scores less than 20 goals a year. Gionta with the exception of one season has never scored more than 25 goals or 60 points in one season.

Cammalleri, while is a good player, is not a dynamic game-breaking player like Gaborik is, and is not a player you build your offense around. Gaborik scored 40 goals and 80 points in Minnesota under Jacques Lemaire's slave-driving defense first system, with little to no help to boot. Gaborik is bound to bust out on Broadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
Hodgson is a great prospect,Schenn is a great prospect Kadri is a great prospect,McDonagh is a good prospect not a great prospect.
Schenn is not a prospect anymore, I'm pretty sure he's played more than the max amount of games to be still considered a prospect.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:40 PM
  #56
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
he was your best prospect, why are you denying that now?
best prospect lolll actually subban n paccioretty were n still are n dont talk about dumb trade when ur great GM just traded 2 first rounders and a second for a injury prone player when he knew the leafs would have 2 picks in the top 5,now gomez is overpaid at 7mil everyone knows that but hes still our best player and that trade got us cammalleri n gionta via free agency so trust me that trade isnt bad at all.

btw what exactly did mcdonaugh prove so far that makes that trade so bad ???? people can keep saying he will have a great future in the NHL but it doesnt change the fact that he still didnt play one game in the NHL so far, Valalenko ?? dumped us for the KHL so he was useless ne ways and higgy ?? hes a defensive third liner nobody cared about.

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 05:45 PM
  #57
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
He's highly inconsistent, and friends of mine who are Devils fans got fed up with him after a while. We'll see how long he plays like this.



Absolutely, Gaborik is worlds better than Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, etc...

Gomez is a 55-70 point center who scores less than 20 goals a year. Gionta with the exception of one season has never scored more than 25 goals or 60 points in one season.

Cammalleri, while is a good player, is not a dynamic game-breaking player like Gaborik is, and is not a player you build your offense around. Gaborik scored 40 goals and 80 points in Minnesota under Jacques Lemaire's slave-driving defense first system, with little to no help to boot. Gaborik is bound to bust out on Broadway.



Schenn is not a prospect anymore, I'm pretty sure he's played more than the max amount of games to be still considered a prospect.
the only diffence between gomez cammy n gionta and ur almighty gaborik is that atleast our fwds will play more then half a season

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 06:38 PM
  #58
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah that loser is the Habs best player and a beast at both ends of the ice.

Why don't you become a complete Oilers fan at this point?
Hardly the best player, at 7 million our "best player" will handcuff this team for years.

Why don't you save your crying for the habs board?

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
  #59
Riza
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msten19 View Post
Wow, Habs fans really are delusional.
The idiots that peruse this board aren't representative of the whole. That being said, McDonagh isn't a fantastic prospect and has really been disappointing since he was drafted. The Habs didn't win the trade, but both sides got what they needed. Montreal needed a center, the Rangers needed to not have Gomez. Win-win.

Riza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
  #60
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
the only diffence between gomez cammy n gionta and ur almighty gaborik is that atleast our fwds will play more then half a season
Not that its a great stat, but Gaborik has actually averages 63 games each year over his 8 year NHL career. Take out last season where he only played 17 games and he averaged 70 games each year. Again, not the best you'd want to see, but a bit more then your only half the season estimate .


What it comes down to, at least in my eyes, and I think the eyes of most, that even if the Rangers didn't get anything in return of much value for Gomez, they still won the trade.

Honestly, ask yourself, who would you rather have signed to a $7 million+/year deal for the next 5 years? Marian Gaborik (Who just scored a sick goal, btw) or Scott Gomez. That's basically what this came down to. The Rangers traded salary so they could sign a Gaborik type player. Is it a risk with his injuries in the past? Sure. Players that had the type of surgery Gaborik have come out of it successfully and had strong careers after (See current Ranger scape goat Michal Roszival, who had the same surgery before the lockout and has been fine ever since).

The fact that the Rangers got a potential top 4 D-man and a possible 1 year rental of Chris Higgins, is a bonus.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
  #61
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riza View Post
The idiots that peruse this board aren't representative of the whole. That being said, McDonagh isn't a fantastic prospect and has really been disappointing since he was drafted. The Habs didn't win the trade, but both sides got what they needed. Montreal needed a center, the Rangers needed to not have Gomez. Win-win.
good post. exactly what happened.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
  #62
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riza View Post
The idiots that peruse this board aren't representative of the whole. That being said, McDonagh isn't a fantastic prospect and has really been disappointing since he was drafted. The Habs didn't win the trade, but both sides got what they needed. Montreal needed a center, the Rangers needed to not have Gomez. Win-win.
Well said.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
  #63
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Schenn is not a prospect anymore, I'm pretty sure he's played more than the max amount of games to be still considered a prospect.
I think he means Brayden Schenn of the LA Kings, not Luke Schenn..

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
  #64
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Hardly the best player, at 7 million our "best player" will handcuff this team for years.

Why don't you save your crying for the habs board?
He's not handcuffing us right now, so why not cut him some slack? You're ignoring his contributions on ice because of the 7M salary. Get over it, look past it. When he cause cap casualties, then you can start *****ing, but for now, he's been a gem.

Also, Higgins might actually become a 4th line player or scratched after tonight's game.

Habs fans were pissed at first because we thought we gave away too much, but seems like we were wrong. Good for us.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 08:27 PM
  #65
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
He's not handcuffing us right now, so why not cut him some slack? You're ignoring his contributions on ice because of the 7M salary. Get over it, look past it. When he cause cap casualties, then you can start *****ing, but for now, he's been a gem.

Also, Higgins might actually become a 4th line player or scratched after tonight's game.

Habs fans were pissed at first because we thought we gave away too much, but seems like we were wrong. Good for us.
yeah, it seems Higgins and Dubinsky are in Torts' dog house tonight. Both haven't had a shift in the 3rd period because of their penalties (Higgins) and turnovers (Dubinsky).

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
  #66
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riza View Post
The idiots that peruse this board aren't representative of the whole. That being said, McDonagh isn't a fantastic prospect and has really been disappointing since he was drafted. The Habs didn't win the trade, but both sides got what they needed. Montreal needed a center, the Rangers needed to not have Gomez. Win-win.
The best way to look at it. We needed a center, Rangers needed cap space. This move made the Habs better (from what Gionta and Camma said, they signed here because of Gomez, is it true... it's what they said) and for the Rags, they got Gaborik who is just phenomenal this year, hope he doesn't get injured though...

But Cammalleri is the real deal after tonight cant believe they let him shoot in OT the same way he tied the game up at the end of the 2nd

Mcdo can stay with the Rags, nothing the Habs should give up to get this guy back in our organization, not that hes bad, but come on, who knows what 2-3 years holds for this kid.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
  #67
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
He's not handcuffing us right now, so why not cut him some slack? You're ignoring his contributions on ice because of the 7M salary. Get over it, look past it. When he cause cap casualties, then you can start *****ing, but for now, he's been a gem.

Also, Higgins might actually become a 4th line player or scratched after tonight's game.

Habs fans were pissed at first because we thought we gave away too much, but seems like we were wrong. Good for us.
He sees the future, he can't appreciate today. I mean if you saw the destruction of the habs because of Gomezs contract, wouldn't you hate him also?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:03 AM
  #68
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,896
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
I think he means Brayden Schenn of the LA Kings, not Luke Schenn..
Yes I meant Brayden

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:19 AM
  #69
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
He's highly inconsistent, and friends of mine who are Devils fans got fed up with him after a while. We'll see how long he plays like this.



Absolutely, Gaborik is worlds better than Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, etc...

Gomez is a 55-70 point center who scores less than 20 goals a year. Gionta with the exception of one season has never scored more than 25 goals or 60 points in one season.

Cammalleri, while is a good player, is not a dynamic game-breaking player like Gaborik is, and is not a player you build your offense around. Gaborik scored 40 goals and 80 points in Minnesota under Jacques Lemaire's slave-driving defense first system, with little to no help to boot. Gaborik is bound to bust out on Broadway.



Schenn is not a prospect anymore, I'm pretty sure he's played more than the max amount of games to be still considered a prospect.
Cammalleri: 3 goals - 1 assists - 4pts, the winning OT goal, just in front of the lazy Gaborik backchecking.


habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:42 AM
  #70
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Cammalleri: 3 goals - 1 assists - 4pts, the winning OT goal, just in front of the lazy Gaborik backchecking.

Priceless

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:14 AM
  #71
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Well if you take into consideration who signed with Montreal because they acquired Gomez, then you have to take into consideration who the Rangers could affored to sign because they traded Gomez, which is Gaborik, Prospal, and Kotalik, who have all been playing excellent so far for the Rangers. So if you take that into consideration, the Rangers won the the trade then
There is nothing you can say that will change the fact that Gaboriks' cap hit of $7,500,000 per year is $142,857 greater than Gomezs' cap hit of $7,357,143 per year , so the phantom cap space that you say was saved because of the trade thus enabling Sather to pay Kotalik , Prospal and Higgins a combined total of $6,400,000 in cap space this year is in fact false .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:46 AM
  #72
Deker21
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thunder Bay On
Country: Canada
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Can't forget about Tom Pyatt being part of that deal also. He's leading the Bulldogs in points and is just 22yrs old as well.

Deker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:21 PM
  #73
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Where are the Rangers fans suddently?

Lol.

Habs won that trade, not close.

And Cammalleri is more involved and was the game breaker, not Gaborik.

Gomez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Higgins

Not even remotely close.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:59 PM
  #74
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Where are the Rangers fans suddently?

Lol.

Habs won that trade, not close.

And Cammalleri is more involved and was the game breaker, not Gaborik.

Gomez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Higgins

Not even remotely close.
It's possible both teams won the trade, since they both had different off-season agenda's.

The Rangers wanted a little more value for their dollar, and the Habs wanted a 1st line center that can carry the puck.

Stupid comments claiming one franchise got the better end of the deal, after what, 11 games in the season, should probably put the keyboard down and go watch volleyball or something.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:04 PM
  #75
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
And Ryan McD was never considered the Habs #1 prospect.

He is one of the top-defensive prospects in the league, but ratings don't mean ****. He is a project that may never come to fruition. He could be another Bourret, imo. Until he makes the jump into this league, and keeps a roster spot, he's just another kid with talent.

Trying to gauge who got the better end of a deal, based on a prospects ranking, is also pretty dumb.

The raging stupidity in this thread, really goes both ways.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.