HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan McDonagh to the Habs

Old
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If both teams accomplished what they wanted with this trade, then it doesn't heavily favor one side versus another.

The Rangers signed a UFA, and moved him for assets that may, or may not be part of the teams long-term plans.

The Habs signed a 1st liner center they desperately needed.

Even if Higgins doesn't re-sign here, and McD never makes it to the NHL, the Rangers accomplished what they set out to do, and that was clear salary and invest it elsewhere.

As long as Gomez produces as a Hab, it's a good investment on their part.

Both teams win this trade.

/thread
Said it in a lot less words then I did!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Gomez: probably the best habs center in over 10 years.
That's not saying much. And he's by far the most overpaid player we've had in that time.
Quote:
Pyatt : 22 year old who is leading Hamilton in scoring and is a player every Montreal fan is waiting to see with the big club.

Higgins:getting called out again by his coach. Questionable off-ice and fitness issues(pure speculation)
Okay. I'll buy this. But Higgins still had some value and we really didn't need to include him here. If we were going to trade him... fine. But not as part of this deal.
Quote:
McDonagh: future uncertain.
You could say the same thing about any prospect.

By all accounts he was the best kid we had in our farm system. There was absolutely no need to trade him away.
Quote:
Deciding factor according to this thread: Salary cap.
Cap has to be taken into consideration when you consider why the Rangers would have wanted to deal him away and why we overpaid here. Not only are we overpaying on Gomez's salary, we gave up prospects to get him from a team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Quote:
My Opinion: Salary cap is overrated. There have been many teams at the cap for several years not and has not affected them in being competative. My prediction: Gm's care less about that cap than fans do and fans and media are overblowing the emphasis on the cap.
Most GMs (those that can spend to the cap anyway) would not agree with you.
Quote:
Conclusion: Gomez trade isn't as bad as the rest of this board would have you believe.
Gomez is a good player so from that perspective yes, its not the worst trade ever. But he isn't near worth his salary and we overpaid in the way of prospects to get him.

Getting him off of waivers and overpaying his salary is one thing, giving up the farm to get him though made zero sense.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Considering that our centers for this season were Plekanec and Lapierre, the deal made much sense.

Considering that there were 3 other teams besides that habs after Gomez(as confirmed by Burke) suggests that Gomez did in fact have value, despite what the rest of this board would have you believe.

As for valuable assets.

Valentenko will never play in the nhl.

Higgins will not be on your team next year and will most likely get benched very soon.

Mcdonaugh's future is being questioned by a lot of people.

Gomez has been the habs best center in over 10 years and is probably our best forward(debatable among habs fans). Lets not forget he's extremely exciting to watch and everytime he has the puck I'm on the edge of my seat.

Pyatt is leading hamilton in scoring and was extremely impressive in camp, he caught literally everyone's attention coaches, media and fans alike. Considering his age I say he has a bright future ahead of him and that the rangers gave up on him way too easily.

conclusion: not as bad as a trade as what people are portraying it to be. Both teams got their needs and no one screwed over anyone.
If we were contenders... sure.

But we're not.

It was a short term move designed to get us to 7th or 8th spot. I don't know about you, but I'd like us to win a cup someday and this move puts us farther away from that goal. It was a short term gain for long term pain and was panic decision that was completely reactionary.

Old
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:
If both teams accomplished what they wanted with this trade, then it doesn't heavily favor one side versus another.

The Rangers signed a UFA, and moved him for assets that may, or may not be part of the teams long-term plans.

The Habs signed a 1st liner center they desperately needed.

Even if Higgins doesn't re-sign here, and McD never makes it to the NHL, the Rangers accomplished what they set out to do, and that was clear salary and invest it elsewhere.

As long as Gomez produces as a Hab, it's a good investment on their part.

Both teams win this trade.

/thread
Why I keep hearing that?

Habs didn't signed Gomez... They TRADED for him.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Wait what?
How can you say the first thing in bold and say that last thing in bold.
Funny, people asked me the same thing when I criticized the Rask trade.

Sure, things could work out... that doesn't make it a good decision.

If you trade Pleks for OV and then OV gets run over by a bus, was it still a good trade made by Washington?

No.

It was a dumb trade but the results happened to work out. That doesn't mean that trading Rask for Raycroft or McDonnaugh for Gomez was a smart move.

Esp when you consider that in both cases those teams couldn't wait to be rid of those players.

Gomez will NEVER live up to that contract and McD was by far our best prospect. We even threw in a pretty decent player in Higgy on this trade. And we did this for no reason... if they demanded this we should've told them to take a hike. Instead we overpaid on the trade and now we're overpaying on the contract. That's why its a rip-off.

Old
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That's not saying much. And he's by far the most overpaid player we've had in that time.

Okay. I'll buy this. But Higgins still had some value and we really didn't need to include him here. If we were going to trade him... fine. But not as part of this deal.

By all accounts he was the best kid we had in our farm system. There was absolutely no need to trade him away.

Cap has to be taken into consideration when you consider why the Rangers would have wanted to deal him away and why we overpaid here. Not only are we overpaying on Gomez's salary, we gave up prospects to get him from a team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Gomez is a good player so from that perspective yes, its not the worst trade ever. But he isn't near worth his salary and we overpaid in the way of prospects to get him.

Getting him off of waivers and overpaying his salary is one thing, giving up the farm to get him though made zero sense.
He wasnt on waivers #1. What farm? We gave up one prospect and a 3rd line winger who might not even be in the nhl in a couple of years the way he's going. Please stop now before you hurt yourself with your own arguments. your contradicting yourself left and right and just don't make any sense.

Rangers cap situation and Montreal's is completely different. Atleast we have money spend on players who we know will show up each night like Cammy, Markov, Hamrlik, Gionta and Gomez.

Rangers needed cap space because they spent stupidly. Habs are fine with the cap this year and next despite would people would have you believe.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
If we were contenders... sure.

But we're not.

It was a short term move designed to get us to 7th or 8th spot. I don't know about you, but I'd like us to win a cup someday and this move puts us farther away from that goal. It was a short term gain for long term pain and was panic decision that was completely reactionary.
Thank you Nostradamus, what else do want to predict?

You don't know what will happen. Just watch the game and that's it. Please stop while you're ahead.

You want to win a cup? So would you have rather our team look like this?

Sergei Plekanec Andrei
Latendresse Lapierre Higgins
D'agostini Metropolit Pacioretty
Stewart Chipchura Laraque

Markov Hamrlik
O'byrne Gorges
Belle Weber

Yes Gainey is stupid for making that trade and signing those players. Please, stop, I'm boarder line feeling bad for you now, stop while you're ahead.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Teams value positions differently. 1st line Center is a highly regarded position. You either overpay in free agency, or in a trade.

Gomez isn't worth his salary, but he is capable of playing that vital position. When you have fans paying top-dollar for a seat, you want to give them the benefit of doubt that you at least made an effort to re-vamp a team that failed the prior season.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Why I keep hearing that?

Habs didn't signed Gomez... They TRADED for him.
Sorry, wrong word;

Obtained.

Happy?

Old
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Rangers needed cap space because they spent stupidly. Habs are fine with the cap this year and next despite would people would have you believe.
Rangers didn't do this to clear cap space.

They did it to invest it elsewhere. There is a difference.

Old
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
scottyG

Quote:

What do you mean "we" the way your talking it dosen't seem you care about the habs and you wish that they fail in every aspect of the game.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

If you trade Pleks for OV and then OV gets run over by a bus, was it still a good trade made by Washington?

No.

It was a dumb trade but the results happened to work out. That doesn't mean that trading Rask for Raycroft or McDonnaugh for Gomez was a smart move.

Esp when you consider that in both cases those teams couldn't wait to be rid of those players.

Gomez will NEVER live up to that contract and McD was by far our best prospect. We even threw in a pretty decent player in Higgy on this trade. And we did this for no reason... if they demanded this we should've told them to take a hike. Instead we overpaid on the trade and now we're overpaying on the contract. That's why its a rip-off.

Yup, best behind Weber, Subban and Paciorretty.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:43 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Yup,

He ripped Gainey off... big time.

No matter how you slice this, the deal made no sense from Montreal's perspective. Things may eventually work out in Gainey's favour but it was a bad trade. There's no way he had to give up what he did for Gomez.

He could've called up Slats and offered to take him off of waivers and it would've been accepted. Instead he sends them a top prospect and Higgins to take on a guy who (while a good hockey player) isn't near worth what he's getting paid. It was the worst NHL trade that was made over this past summer.

Its exactly the same thing as the Rask deal from the Leafs. You don't trade away valuable assets for a guy you can get for cheap. People can try to dress this up however they wish, it was a bad trade.

Gomez seems to be contributing though so hopefully that works out at least.
picked up waivers are you serious LOLLLL gomez is overpaid by a mil or 2max but theres alot of teams that would of picked him up before reaching to us,we gaved up a third liner a prospect that didnt prove nothing yet and a russian kid who dumped the team for the KHL for Gomez our #1 C you know the guy that got us gionta and cammy n we got pyatt thats leading the dogs in points why exactly did we get ripped off ??? people like you talk n talk like they know hockey but dont knoww ****.

like its been said both teams got what they wanted so there both winners in their book.

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:44 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Yup,

He ripped Gainey off... big time.

No matter how you slice this, the deal made no sense from Montreal's perspective. Things may eventually work out in Gainey's favour but it was a bad trade. There's no way he had to give up what he did for Gomez.

He could've called up Slats and offered to take him off of waivers and it would've been accepted. Instead he sends them a top prospect and Higgins to take on a guy who (while a good hockey player) isn't near worth what he's getting paid. It was the worst NHL trade that was made over this past summer.

Its exactly the same thing as the Rask deal from the Leafs. You don't trade away valuable assets for a guy you can get for cheap. People can try to dress this up however they wish, it was a bad trade.

Gomez seems to be contributing though so hopefully that works out at least.
Unless you can provide a link to back up any of your rediculous claims that you state as facts , i'm going to say that you're so full of chit , your eye's are starting to brown .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:49 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

No.

You're very inconsistent with your arguments. How can you "things can work out, but you never know?" You have already pegged this as a bad deal, but like you said, "you never know"

Mcd our best prospect? Have you ever watched him play to be able to say that? I don't and can't agree with this, if this is part of your argument thinking we got ripped off... no way he is better then a lot of the guys in our system.

Please let me know if you have seen him play, and why exactly you believe he is better then a guy like PK, or Pacioretty or any other prospects that we have that you have seen play.

WHO CARES IF GOMEZ DOESN'T LIVE UP TO HIS CONTRACT
I for one am happy to have him, regardless of his salary. Sure he makes too much money, but whatever, who cling to this argument way too much.

Come on man, wake up, you still have the same argument most habs fans had the moment the trade happened. A lot has happened, and if you think the Montreal Canadiens of 2009-2010 are not a better team for the future, then we were with Koivu and Kovalev, then good luck following a team you despise.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
This deal made sense for both teams. It helps both in the immediate, and in the future.
The Rangers dump Gomez, who was less than great in his tenure in New York, for a serviceable 2nd or 3rd liner in Higgins (though he hasn't performed well in NY yet and could be going the way of Adam Hall soon enough), and a top prospect in McD. Then, with the cap space, the Rangers signed Gaborik, who has been playing like a bonafide superstar.
The Habs pick up an expensive, but good playmaking center. Like some have said this may have contributed to signing Gionta going back to their Devil days, and Cammalleri, giving them a legit top line.
I think both teams will take what they got from the deal. It probably benefits the Rangers a bit more since they essentially swapped Gomez for McD, Higgins and Gaborik, but the deal isn't horrible for Montreal.
It'll be interesting to evaluate this deal in 2 or 3 years.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He wasnt on waivers #1. What farm? We gave up one prospect and a 3rd line winger who might not even be in the nhl in a couple of years the way he's going. Please stop now before you hurt yourself with your own arguments. your contradicting yourself left and right and just don't make any sense.
There's no contradiction here. You're only seeing what you want to see. This move made no sense.
Quote:
Rangers cap situation and Montreal's is completely different. Atleast we have money spend on players who we know will show up each night like Cammy, Markov, Hamrlik, Gionta and Gomez.
Its completely different? Dude, the Rangers would've paid somebody to take Gomez off their hands... We took him AND gave them McD. It was a stupid move. Any non-Hab fan could see this.
Quote:
Rangers needed cap space because they spent stupidly.
Right... and now we're doing the same and helping a conference rival in the process.
Quote:
Habs are fine with the cap this year and next despite would people would have you believe.
We're paying a 2nd line center like he's a superstar and gave up our best prospect for the privilege of doing so. That's bad management.

Quote:
Thank you Nostradamus, what else do want to predict?
This has nothing to do with predictions. This is about evaluating a trade based on the values of the players at the time the deal was made. You don't need to be Marvin the Mindreader to see that we got ripped off here.
Quote:
You don't know what will happen. Just watch the game and that's it. Please stop while you're ahead.
Take your own advice. I gave you the example of OV being hit by a bus after being traded... it doesn't matter if that would happen or not. If you trade the guy for nothing its a bad trade, regardless of what happens afterward. You can get lucky yes, but that doesn't mean you make trades that don't make sense.

Quote:
You want to win a cup? So would you have rather our team look like this?
Sergei Plekanec Andrei
Latendresse Lapierre Higgins
D'agostini Metropolit Pacioretty
Stewart Chipchura Laraque

Markov Hamrlik
O'byrne Gorges
Belle Weber
No,

I'd rather we build the proper way... through the draft. Hang on to players like McD and let them develop. Quick fixes don't work. We aren't going to win the cup, but you want us to go for 8th place. Good for you... I'd rather see us make a serious attempt at winning a championship. This team has no chance of doing so.

At least we had some good prospects going for us before, now we've given up our best kid and taken on stupid cap salaries. That may be the way to squeak into the playoffs, but it's not the way to win a cup.
Quote:
Yes Gainey is stupid for making that trade and signing those players. Please, stop, I'm boarder line feeling bad for you now, stop while you're ahead.
Take your own advice.

Old
10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Teams value positions differently. 1st line Center is a highly regarded position. You either overpay in free agency, or in a trade.

Gomez isn't worth his salary, but he is capable of playing that vital position. When you have fans paying top-dollar for a seat, you want to give them the benefit of doubt that you at least made an effort to re-vamp a team that failed the prior season.
Personally, I think going after Gomez doesn't make sense. But if we're going to do it, don't give up your best prospect and Higgins in the process. Its just a bad deal.

Quote:
Rangers didn't do this to clear cap space.

They did it to invest it elsewhere. There is a difference.
This had nothing to do with clearing cap space? What are you talking about man? Go back and read the articles coming into this summer, every one of them talked about the fix that NY was in. We were the answer to their prayers here.

Again, I don't have a big problem with us picking up Gomez, but there's no way we should've paid what we did to get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
What do you mean "we" the way your talking it dosen't seem you care about the habs and you wish that they fail in every aspect of the game.
Been a Hab fan all my life. Hence my name.

If I wasn't, I wouldn't bother with the comments here. I was pissed off by this move and you should be too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yup, best behind Weber, Subban and Paciorretty.
Sure,

Now go back and read the posts before McD was traded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
picked up waivers are you serious LOLLLL
What are you laughing at?

YES Gomez could've been picked up off of waivers and it was speculated that that's exactly where he was headed. The guy scores 58 points and is making 7 mil on a team with cap problems.

LOolLOLLOLOOl#1

Give your head a shake dude.

Quote:
gomez is overpaid by a mil or 2max but theres alot of teams that would of picked him up before reaching to us,
Are you crazy?

7 mil for his kind of production wasn't going to happen. No other team would shell out that kind of cash and throw in a prospect like McD to boot. This was an awful trade no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
we gaved up a third liner a prospect that didnt prove nothing yet and a russian kid who dumped the team for the KHL for Gomez our #1 C you know the guy that got us gionta and cammy n we got pyatt thats leading the dogs in points why exactly did we get ripped off ??? people like you talk n talk like they know hockey but dont knoww ****.
Yes, we certainly "gaved up" too much.
Quote:
like its been said both teams got what they wanted so there both winners in their book.
No they aren't. One team drastically overpaid on the deal and that's why they lost the trade.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
Unless you can provide a link to back up any of your rediculous claims that you state as facts , i'm going to say that you're so full of chit , your eye's are starting to brown .
Dude,

This trade was ripped apart by most analysts. You want to go read the articles, knock yourself out. They aren't hard to find.

Quote:
You're very inconsistent with your arguments. How can you "things can work out, but you never know?" You have already pegged this as a bad deal, but like you said, "you never know"
Right, just like OV might get hit by a bus... that doesn't mean you trade him for Tom Plekanec.
Quote:
Mcd our best prospect? Have you ever watched him play to be able to say that? I don't and can't agree with this, if this is part of your argument thinking we got ripped off... no way he is better then a lot of the guys in our system.
He was consistently rated our best prospect and in these forums folks couldn't stop talking about him. Now he's gone so he's chopped liver.

Go back and check the posts before he was traded away... Who's being inconsistent here?
Quote:
Please let me know if you have seen him play, and why exactly you believe he is better then a guy like PK, or Pacioretty or any other prospects that we have that you have seen play.

WHO CARES IF GOMEZ DOESN'T LIVE UP TO HIS CONTRACT
IF YOU'RE A HAB FAN, YOU SHOULD. IF YOU DON'T THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO YOU HERE.
Quote:
I for one am happy to have him, regardless of his salary. Sure he makes too much money, but whatever, who cling to this argument way too much.
"Cling" to what argument?

Its bad enough that he makes too much money... but I think most folks can live with that. That's just part of what makes this deal bad. What really makes this deal terrible is that we were dealing from a position of strength and gave up way too much for this guy. THAT is why this is a ripoff trade.
Quote:
Come on man, wake up, you still have the same argument most habs fans had the moment the trade happened. A lot has happened, and if you think the Montreal Canadiens of 2009-2010 are not a better team for the future, then we were with Koivu and Kovalev, then good luck following a team you despise.
Are we a better team than with Koivu and Kovalev? Maybe... but we aren't contenders and this move did nothing to make us one. Its designed to appease folks like you who are happy with us fighting for a playoff spot. Its not going to help us win a cup. If we were serious about actually winning a championship, we wouldn't have touched this move.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
This deal made sense for both teams. It helps both in the immediate, and in the future.
The Rangers dump Gomez, who was less than great in his tenure in New York, for a serviceable 2nd or 3rd liner in Higgins (though he hasn't performed well in NY yet and could be going the way of Adam Hall soon enough), and a top prospect in McD. Then, with the cap space, the Rangers signed Gaborik, who has been playing like a bonafide superstar.
The Habs pick up an expensive, but good playmaking center. Like some have said this may have contributed to signing Gionta going back to their Devil days, and Cammalleri, giving them a legit top line.
I think both teams will take what they got from the deal. It probably benefits the Rangers a bit more since they essentially swapped Gomez for McD, Higgins and Gaborik, but the deal isn't horrible for Montreal.
It'll be interesting to evaluate this deal in 2 or 3 years.
It would've been good for the Rangers if we had taken Gomez and given them nothing.

The fact that we included Higgy and McD made it a great trade for them. It allowed them to get the sniper they wanted (Gaborik) and they got a great prospect to boot. Its all upside for them.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 10-25-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I thought this thread was about the value of Ryan McDonagh to Montréal

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
YES Gomez could've been picked up off of waivers and it was speculated that that's exactly where he was headed. The guy scores 58 points and is making 7 mil on a team with cap problems.
And you believed that speculation, which is even worse than the person who suggested it was a possibility.

Believe me, if Sather was forced into dumping one of our larger contracts, Gomez would have been the last one. Redden's contract is more unjustifiable than Scotty's, simply based on production and role.

Old
10-26-2009, 12:50 AM
emb24*

Quote:
And you believed that speculation, which is even worse than the person who suggested it was a possibility.

Believe me, if Sather was forced into dumping one of our larger contracts, Gomez would have been the last one. Redden's contract is more unjustifiable than Scotty's, simply based on production and role.
pj stock on his radio show in montreal commented on this and mentioned last week that there were other suitors for gomez but slats took the habs' offer. i would think there is interest in a top 20, albeit overpaid center in the league

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Personally, I think going after Gomez doesn't make sense. But if we're going to do it, don't give up your best prospect and Higgins in the process. Its just a bad deal.
Which 1st line Center do you think Higgins, and McD should have fetched you?

Getzlaf? Savard? Richards? Datsyuk? Spezza? Crosby? Malkin? Lecavalier? Ribeiro?

A third-liner tweener, soon-to-be UFA who missed most of last season injured, and a Prospect who may never play an NHL game, isn't exactly an overpayment for a capable 1st line Center.

You're severely overvaluing Higgins+McD, and undervaluing Gomez.

Quote:
This had nothing to do with clearing cap space? What are you talking about man? Go back and read the articles coming into this summer, every one of them talked about the fix that NY was in. We were the answer to their prayers here.
You have no idea what you're talking about guy.

Rangers had plenty of money to flirt around with, considering Zherdev wasn't retained and Naslund retiring.

If their motive behind this move was to have Cap Space, they wouldn't have invested it in Gaborik.. Nor, would they have signed Kotalik for 3M, @3 more years. They would have moved one of Callahan/Dubinsky, since they were due for a raise.

Or they could have shipped someone to Hartford. Or made dead-line moved last season, freeing up money.

You know nothing about the Rangers, so don't even attempt to comment. Seems like you don't know much about your own franchise, so I'm pretty sure this post is nothing but a waste of time.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
pj stock on his radio show in montreal commented on this and mentioned last week that there were other suitors for gomez but slats took the habs' offer. i would think there is interest in a top 20, albeit overpaid center in the league
His salary would have never reached 7.5M, if there wasn't enough league-wide interest for a player like him.

He's raised a cup, and centered the top-line for two different franchise's. He's under 30, and looks like a good teammate. Quiet leader type, good P.R with his sense of humor, etc.

I'm sure Scotty would have been stripped of his A if he was in fact, playing severely under expectations. This dodo-bird believed some stupid blog he read over the summer (Eklund?) and thought Gomez was Waiver-Material.

I think numerous teams had some sort of interest in Gomez, even with that towering salary.