HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

They're not half bad. Nope, they're all bad! - Canes at Minnesota Wild - 10/24, 8 PM

Old
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

vCash: 500
other than the end, i thought that was our best effort of the year.
also liked b sutter's jump in the lineup.
we're going to turn this (sinking) boat round yet.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:01 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
On a positive note, Sutter looked comfortable. He was good along the boards and looked much more NHL ready than last year IMO. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen him play and he wasn't a big standout player last year so it's hard to recall how much he's improved.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
On the bright side...

Rats won tonight, with Boychuk scoring and Samson earning 2 assists, and so did my son's mighty mite team.

I swear mighty mites put more effort than pros in Canes jerseys.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
I hate our GM. Bringing back players after letting them walk or a trade AND now repeating coaches is just bad management. If he brings back a previous player or coach again, I through with this team. I want him gone.
Something teams needs some fresh, needs new faces, new players... but JR never understand this . Carolina is just one of this teams in my noob opinion.

I don't want this team resign Walker (god, this will be hurt, i love Scott, he's the man, but just it's part of the game), Wallin (i don't hate but...)... i'm not sure for Whitney and Aaron. Whitney still can put 45-55 points, Aaron is still solid... Cullen is ideal #2 but if we can get something new, i'm for this.

Try something new, JR. Please.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Cullen is ideal ECHL #2 but if we can get something new, i'm for this.
Fixed that for ya. Come on, Cullen may be ideal #3 center, and he is poor man's #2.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
This season isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

I hate our GM. Bringing back players after letting them walk or a trade AND now repeating coaches is just bad management. If he brings back a previous player or coach again, I through with this team. I want him gone.
I am frustrated like everyone else, but I seriously doubt you were calling for heads when they reached the ECF last season were you?. No brokey, No fixy. There was no rational reason to tweak the roster a great deal. Virtually no one expected us to fall from grace so quickly.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 3398
Tonight Joni was the man. In my opinion, besides the points, he had a 95% better game than the other night on Long Island. He competed better, stuck with his man better, skated better, and was on his game. So, see I don't hate him after all!!!!!!

And I didn't think his penalty at the end of the game was bad. If he would have known the moron was going to fall he probably wouldn't have smacked him. If the Wild chap is standing up instead of trying to take a nap it would have been a beautiful hit.

Ok, gotta go do something else. This game worked me up far more than it should have...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
I am frustrated like everyone else, but I seriously doubt you were calling for heads when they reached the ECF last season were you?. No brokey, No fixy. There was no rational reason to tweak the roster a great deal. Virtually no one expected us to fall from grace so quickly.
The moment he signed Aaron Ward, my jaw hit the floor and I was calling for his head on a stick. Extending Cole was another jaw dropper. I've been a Cane's fan since day one, and one thing is certain, going to the finals and even winning the cup means very little to the following season for this team. It's been win-fail sequence FOREVER! I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run. The first thing out of the lips of all the fans I know was get Staal someone to play with. ANd the next was convincing themselves that bringing back these old turds was positive tweaking.
Who in their right mind would think "tweaking" would plug the holes that the Pens ran through? Someone said "at least we're tough". Add undisciplined and producing frustration-driven penalties to that as well.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:19 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Fixed that for ya. Come on, Cullen may be ideal #3 center, and he is poor man's #2.
. Ok, maybe this is true...

but this team needs #2 for next season. Sutter will be this guy after two or three seasons but he's not ready yet. Brindy, i think, will play on 4rd line next season. I'm not sure JR will try to give Cullen new contracts but i don't see anything goon on free agency. Maybe Ebbett or Stajan.... or trade at deadline - our veterans for something younger.

It's still early but this team going nowhere this season and i don't think we should play with most of this players next season too. We just needs changes.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:28 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

and lets be honest about last season(a few of us have pointed this out since the season ended) it was a team that barely made the playoffs, needed a miracle to get out of round 1, needed a Bruins team to completely underestimate them after destroying them in the regular season and game 1, and was an embarassing no-show in the ECF. Last years team had major flaws down the middle and on the PP....and none of that was addressed So the no breaky no fixxy philosophy doesnt hold water for me personally. This organization will sadly always be a conservative one so there will never be major changes, and im begining to think there wont be changes next season either other than adding the kids. Most conservative organizations usually at least make the dance every year even if they dont win series on a regular basis.... Devils, Wild, Stars. But here we just have to be happy with making the playoffs every once and a while and making a few deep runs now and again

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

We didn't sign Ward. We got rid of Eaves' contract and pick for him, which is fine by me. Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. Did you really think JR would sign a Gaborik type player? We don't have the cash for players like that. Before the puck dropped we looked like we had a good line up.

I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run.

I am sorry, but I probably couldn't disagree with you more. When a group of players reach the ECF, your kneejerk reaction shouldn't be "let's go out and drastically revamp the lines". Look at a Montreal, they've not done much better after all the shuffling they did this offseason. Getting rid of JR would set this team back to the dark ages. We don't have many of the luxuries other teams do. So you should consider us lucky we have someone who has the capabilities JR does. It's also on the job of the players who make millions of dollars to get their *****ing act together and do their jobs. Simple as that.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:32 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
and lets be honest about last season(a few of us have pointed this out since the season ended) it was a team that barely made the playoffs, needed a miracle to get out of round 1, needed a Bruins team to completely underestimate them after destroying them in the regular season and game 1, and was an embarassing no-show in the ECF. Last years team had major flaws down the middle and on the PP....and none of that was addressed So the no breaky no fixxy philosophy doesnt hold water for me personally. This organization will sadly always be a conservative one so there will never be major changes, and im begining to think there wont be changes next season either other than adding the kids. Most conservative organizations usually at least make the dance every year even if they dont win series on a regular basis.... Devils, Wild, Stars. But here we just have to be happy with making the playoffs every once and a while and making a few deep runs now and again
Fair enough.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post

i can definitely see that.
dmonk, I just saw this! I can smile a little .. not a lot. I really, really wanted to kick in my big screen when the Wild scored that last one!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. .
How did Cole take a 2 million paycut? He made 4 on his last deal....now he is making 3 and by most legit accounts we made him the best offer. Noone was knocking on Cole's door for 4+ mil. IMO we still overpaid for Erik especially considering he makes more coin next year than he is now

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:45 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
How did Cole take a 2 million paycut? He made 4 on his last deal....now he is making 3 and by most legit accounts we made him the best offer. Noone was knocking on Cole's door for 4+ mil. IMO we still overpaid for Erik especially considering he makes more coin next year than he is now
No, you are right. Brainfart on my end.

Old
10-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Old Uncle

After last season and on paper this team looks to be a 4 to 6 seed. The only star name on the list is Eric Staal. Everyone else is a role player, an up and comer or a veteran who should know better. When you watch the game, you would think it's a pick up team. There are individuals who show flashes of brilliance, but it's as though they had never played together before. Some of the basics are there but that intangible chemistry and the smoothness that comes with a team being comfortable together is missing. Changing players or coaches for the sake of it will not get you there. It might not hurt, but at this point it's not going to happen. Second guessing the coach is a fine armchair pastime, but it is going to come down to the coaches and players taking a good look together at what's going on and trying to find their way. They can do it, they did it last year. Admittedly, they didn't look this bad then, but I still believe.
Go Canes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Caniac4ever

When I look at the standings I nearly weep. We have lost 6 in a row. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just really having a hard time seeing it right now. If I had to find a small silver lining to our pathetic season, it would be that the mighty Detroit Red Wings are 1 point ahead of us. So yes, it could be worse...

Old
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
We didn't sign Ward. We got rid of Eaves' contract and pick for him, which is fine by me. Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. Did you really think JR would sign a Gaborik type player? We don't have the cash for players like that. Before the puck dropped we looked like we had a good line up.

I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run.

I am sorry, but I probably couldn't disagree with you more. When a group of players reach the ECF, your kneejerk reaction shouldn't be "let's go out and drastically revamp the lines". Look at a Montreal, they've not done much better after all the shuffling they did this offseason. Getting rid of JR would set this team back to the dark ages. We don't have many of the luxuries other teams do. So you should consider us lucky we have someone who has the capabilities JR does. It's also on the job of the players who make millions of dollars to get their *****ing act together and do their jobs. Simple as that.

Dumping Eaves was fine. Picking up Aaron was dumb. Cole took a paycut to stay here? Ha. Nobody wanted him. He went on the market and nothing. Same with Larose. At least Chad is a good 3rd liner. But wait, Chad is on the first line. What a bargain. Do I think he would sign a first line sniper? No doubt in my mind but what FA wants to come here? We have very little to trade so that's out as well. That's where his creativity fails. In the trade dept.. >insert head on stick< And before the puck dropped our lineup looked average at best.

As for the rest of what you say......ok. You are a serious JR nuthugger. He needs to go. It's as simple as that. And he isn't going anywhere. That's what makes this so much more difficult.

Last edited by QuitStaaling: 10-24-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old
10-24-2009, 11:59 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
When I look at the standings I nearly weep. We have lost 6 in a row. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just really having a hard time seeing it right now. If I had to find a small silver lining to our pathetic season, it would be that the mighty Detroit Red Wings are 1 point ahead of us. So yes, it could be worse...
My poor attitude may be the reason the Canes are failing. I'm going to be more positive about our situation.

Old
10-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

For a good lesson in the power of youth, take a look at the top of the NHL standings. Tied for first... Colorado Avalanche... 8-1-2.

Will that last? I doubt it, but it looks like they could be a playoff team this year.

10-25-2009, 12:07 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Wallin is the worst player on the ice every single god damn night. He is the fault of so many ****ing goals. Get him the **** out of here.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Caniac4ever

Quote:
My poor attitude may be the reason the Canes are failing. I'm going to be more positive about our situation.

Good luck with that! I'm trying to do the same. The boys could still be in Hartford!

Old
10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Uncle View Post
After last season and on paper this team looks to be a 4 to 6 seed. The only star name on the list is Eric Staal. Everyone else is a role player, an up and comer or a veteran who should know better.

Go Canes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Right now we could a lot more up and comers and a lot less role players.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I want to go the young route - next year. Let the current guys suck, trade/don't resign our UFAs, draft a good player and go with the young guys. Build around Staal and Ward. If we suck bad enough and manage to get a franchise Dman like Fowler, we'll be set for the future.

I still think we'll be a middle of the pack team, but honestly I'd rather suck if that were the case.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead3k View Post
other than the end, i thought that was our best effort of the year.
also liked b sutter's jump in the lineup.
we're going to turn this (sinking) boat round yet.
If our best effort is losing to the worst team in hockey, we SUCK

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote