HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

They're not half bad. Nope, they're all bad! - Canes at Minnesota Wild - 10/24, 8 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
  #101
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards
 
knucklehead3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
other than the end, i thought that was our best effort of the year.
also liked b sutter's jump in the lineup.
we're going to turn this (sinking) boat round yet.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:01 PM
  #102
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?
 
NobodysFaulkButMine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, CAN
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
On a positive note, Sutter looked comfortable. He was good along the boards and looked much more NHL ready than last year IMO. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen him play and he wasn't a big standout player last year so it's hard to recall how much he's improved.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
  #103
dmonk
doughberle
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
On the bright side...

Rats won tonight, with Boychuk scoring and Samson earning 2 assists, and so did my son's mighty mite team.

I swear mighty mites put more effort than pros in Canes jerseys.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
  #104
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 7,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
I hate our GM. Bringing back players after letting them walk or a trade AND now repeating coaches is just bad management. If he brings back a previous player or coach again, I through with this team. I want him gone.
Something teams needs some fresh, needs new faces, new players... but JR never understand this . Carolina is just one of this teams in my noob opinion.

I don't want this team resign Walker (god, this will be hurt, i love Scott, he's the man, but just it's part of the game), Wallin (i don't hate but...)... i'm not sure for Whitney and Aaron. Whitney still can put 45-55 points, Aaron is still solid... Cullen is ideal #2 but if we can get something new, i'm for this.

Try something new, JR. Please.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
  #105
dmonk
doughberle
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Cullen is ideal ECHL #2 but if we can get something new, i'm for this.
Fixed that for ya. Come on, Cullen may be ideal #3 center, and he is poor man's #2.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
  #106
CarolinaHurricanes85
Registered User
 
CarolinaHurricanes85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
This season isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

I hate our GM. Bringing back players after letting them walk or a trade AND now repeating coaches is just bad management. If he brings back a previous player or coach again, I through with this team. I want him gone.
I am frustrated like everyone else, but I seriously doubt you were calling for heads when they reached the ECF last season were you?. No brokey, No fixy. There was no rational reason to tweak the roster a great deal. Virtually no one expected us to fall from grace so quickly.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
  #107
Caniac4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 3398
Tonight Joni was the man. In my opinion, besides the points, he had a 95% better game than the other night on Long Island. He competed better, stuck with his man better, skated better, and was on his game. So, see I don't hate him after all!!!!!!


And I didn't think his penalty at the end of the game was bad. If he would have known the moron was going to fall he probably wouldn't have smacked him. If the Wild chap is standing up instead of trying to take a nap it would have been a beautiful hit.


Ok, gotta go do something else. This game worked me up far more than it should have...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
  #108
QuitStaaling
Registered User
 
QuitStaaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
I am frustrated like everyone else, but I seriously doubt you were calling for heads when they reached the ECF last season were you?. No brokey, No fixy. There was no rational reason to tweak the roster a great deal. Virtually no one expected us to fall from grace so quickly.
The moment he signed Aaron Ward, my jaw hit the floor and I was calling for his head on a stick. Extending Cole was another jaw dropper. I've been a Cane's fan since day one, and one thing is certain, going to the finals and even winning the cup means very little to the following season for this team. It's been win-fail sequence FOREVER! I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run. The first thing out of the lips of all the fans I know was get Staal someone to play with. ANd the next was convincing themselves that bringing back these old turds was positive tweaking.
Who in their right mind would think "tweaking" would plug the holes that the Pens ran through? Someone said "at least we're tough". Add undisciplined and producing frustration-driven penalties to that as well.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:19 PM
  #109
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 7,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Fixed that for ya. Come on, Cullen may be ideal #3 center, and he is poor man's #2.
. Ok, maybe this is true...

but this team needs #2 for next season. Sutter will be this guy after two or three seasons but he's not ready yet. Brindy, i think, will play on 4rd line next season. I'm not sure JR will try to give Cullen new contracts but i don't see anything goon on free agency. Maybe Ebbett or Stajan.... or trade at deadline - our veterans for something younger.

It's still early but this team going nowhere this season and i don't think we should play with most of this players next season too. We just needs changes.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:28 PM
  #110
faulkingdynamic
J Troll
 
faulkingdynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,166
vCash: 500
and lets be honest about last season(a few of us have pointed this out since the season ended) it was a team that barely made the playoffs, needed a miracle to get out of round 1, needed a Bruins team to completely underestimate them after destroying them in the regular season and game 1, and was an embarassing no-show in the ECF. Last years team had major flaws down the middle and on the PP....and none of that was addressed So the no breaky no fixxy philosophy doesnt hold water for me personally. This organization will sadly always be a conservative one so there will never be major changes, and im begining to think there wont be changes next season either other than adding the kids. Most conservative organizations usually at least make the dance every year even if they dont win series on a regular basis.... Devils, Wild, Stars. But here we just have to be happy with making the playoffs every once and a while and making a few deep runs now and again

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
  #111
CarolinaHurricanes85
Registered User
 
CarolinaHurricanes85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
We didn't sign Ward. We got rid of Eaves' contract and pick for him, which is fine by me. Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. Did you really think JR would sign a Gaborik type player? We don't have the cash for players like that. Before the puck dropped we looked like we had a good line up.

I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run.

I am sorry, but I probably couldn't disagree with you more. When a group of players reach the ECF, your kneejerk reaction shouldn't be "let's go out and drastically revamp the lines". Look at a Montreal, they've not done much better after all the shuffling they did this offseason. Getting rid of JR would set this team back to the dark ages. We don't have many of the luxuries other teams do. So you should consider us lucky we have someone who has the capabilities JR does. It's also on the job of the players who make millions of dollars to get their *****ing act together and do their jobs. Simple as that.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:32 PM
  #112
CarolinaHurricanes85
Registered User
 
CarolinaHurricanes85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
and lets be honest about last season(a few of us have pointed this out since the season ended) it was a team that barely made the playoffs, needed a miracle to get out of round 1, needed a Bruins team to completely underestimate them after destroying them in the regular season and game 1, and was an embarassing no-show in the ECF. Last years team had major flaws down the middle and on the PP....and none of that was addressed So the no breaky no fixxy philosophy doesnt hold water for me personally. This organization will sadly always be a conservative one so there will never be major changes, and im begining to think there wont be changes next season either other than adding the kids. Most conservative organizations usually at least make the dance every year even if they dont win series on a regular basis.... Devils, Wild, Stars. But here we just have to be happy with making the playoffs every once and a while and making a few deep runs now and again
Fair enough.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
  #113
WalkerBabe
Registered User
 
WalkerBabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post


i can definitely see that.
dmonk, I just saw this! I can smile a little .. not a lot. I really, really wanted to kick in my big screen when the Wild scored that last one!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
  #114
faulkingdynamic
J Troll
 
faulkingdynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. .
How did Cole take a 2 million paycut? He made 4 on his last deal....now he is making 3 and by most legit accounts we made him the best offer. Noone was knocking on Cole's door for 4+ mil. IMO we still overpaid for Erik especially considering he makes more coin next year than he is now

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:45 PM
  #115
CarolinaHurricanes85
Registered User
 
CarolinaHurricanes85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
How did Cole take a 2 million paycut? He made 4 on his last deal....now he is making 3 and by most legit accounts we made him the best offer. Noone was knocking on Cole's door for 4+ mil. IMO we still overpaid for Erik especially considering he makes more coin next year than he is now
No, you are right. Brainfart on my end.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:50 PM
  #116
Old Uncle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
After last season and on paper this team looks to be a 4 to 6 seed. The only star name on the list is Eric Staal. Everyone else is a role player, an up and comer or a veteran who should know better. When you watch the game, you would think it's a pick up team. There are individuals who show flashes of brilliance, but it's as though they had never played together before. Some of the basics are there but that intangible chemistry and the smoothness that comes with a team being comfortable together is missing. Changing players or coaches for the sake of it will not get you there. It might not hurt, but at this point it's not going to happen. Second guessing the coach is a fine armchair pastime, but it is going to come down to the coaches and players taking a good look together at what's going on and trying to find their way. They can do it, they did it last year. Admittedly, they didn't look this bad then, but I still believe.
Go Canes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:51 PM
  #117
Caniac4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 3398
When I look at the standings I nearly weep. We have lost 6 in a row. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just really having a hard time seeing it right now. If I had to find a small silver lining to our pathetic season, it would be that the mighty Detroit Red Wings are 1 point ahead of us. So yes, it could be worse...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
  #118
QuitStaaling
Registered User
 
QuitStaaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
We didn't sign Ward. We got rid of Eaves' contract and pick for him, which is fine by me. Erik took almost 2 million pay cut to stay here. Did you really think JR would sign a Gaborik type player? We don't have the cash for players like that. Before the puck dropped we looked like we had a good line up.



I disagree with "no rational reason to tweak". We have the history that cries for major changes after an epic playoff run.

I am sorry, but I probably couldn't disagree with you more. When a group of players reach the ECF, your kneejerk reaction shouldn't be "let's go out and drastically revamp the lines". Look at a Montreal, they've not done much better after all the shuffling they did this offseason. Getting rid of JR would set this team back to the dark ages. We don't have many of the luxuries other teams do. So you should consider us lucky we have someone who has the capabilities JR does. It's also on the job of the players who make millions of dollars to get their *****ing act together and do their jobs. Simple as that.

Dumping Eaves was fine. Picking up Aaron was dumb. Cole took a paycut to stay here? Ha. Nobody wanted him. He went on the market and nothing. Same with Larose. At least Chad is a good 3rd liner. But wait, Chad is on the first line. What a bargain. Do I think he would sign a first line sniper? No doubt in my mind but what FA wants to come here? We have very little to trade so that's out as well. That's where his creativity fails. In the trade dept.. >insert head on stick< And before the puck dropped our lineup looked average at best.

As for the rest of what you say......ok. You are a serious JR nuthugger. He needs to go. It's as simple as that. And he isn't going anywhere. That's what makes this so much more difficult.


Last edited by QuitStaaling: 10-24-2009 at 11:57 PM.
QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:59 PM
  #119
QuitStaaling
Registered User
 
QuitStaaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
When I look at the standings I nearly weep. We have lost 6 in a row. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just really having a hard time seeing it right now. If I had to find a small silver lining to our pathetic season, it would be that the mighty Detroit Red Wings are 1 point ahead of us. So yes, it could be worse...
My poor attitude may be the reason the Canes are failing. I'm going to be more positive about our situation.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:06 AM
  #120
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,279
vCash: 500
For a good lesson in the power of youth, take a look at the top of the NHL standings. Tied for first... Colorado Avalanche... 8-1-2.

Will that last? I doubt it, but it looks like they could be a playoff team this year.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:07 AM
  #121
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END
 
WhiteTrashAmerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Wallin is the worst player on the ice every single god damn night. He is the fault of so many ****ing goals. Get him the **** out of here.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
  #122
Caniac4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
My poor attitude may be the reason the Canes are failing. I'm going to be more positive about our situation.

Good luck with that! I'm trying to do the same. The boys could still be in Hartford!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
  #123
DoomMF
Registered User
 
DoomMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I live NYC
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Uncle View Post
After last season and on paper this team looks to be a 4 to 6 seed. The only star name on the list is Eric Staal. Everyone else is a role player, an up and comer or a veteran who should know better.

Go Canes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Right now we could a lot more up and comers and a lot less role players.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
  #124
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
I want to go the young route - next year. Let the current guys suck, trade/don't resign our UFAs, draft a good player and go with the young guys. Build around Staal and Ward. If we suck bad enough and manage to get a franchise Dman like Fowler, we'll be set for the future.

I still think we'll be a middle of the pack team, but honestly I'd rather suck if that were the case.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:55 AM
  #125
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead3k View Post
other than the end, i thought that was our best effort of the year.
also liked b sutter's jump in the lineup.
we're going to turn this (sinking) boat round yet.
If our best effort is losing to the worst team in hockey, we SUCK

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.