HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

They're not half bad. Nope, they're all bad! - Canes at Minnesota Wild - 10/24, 8 PM

Old
10-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
We could have had Cole for a ton less, but JR would rather not insult Cole than actually pay him what he is worth... We were negotiating against ourselves and LOST... How the FORK does that happen... Should have let him walk or offered a 3/5 deal... He'd have taken it because that one trick pony had no offers

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:02 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
We could have had Cole for a ton less, but JR would rather not insult Cole than actually pay him what he is worth... We were negotiating against ourselves and LOST... How the FORK does that happen... Should have let him walk or offered a 3/5 deal... He'd have taken it because that one trick pony had no offers
Yes! Should have offered him the league minimum heavy with bonuses. VERY HEAVY! When nobody wants you anymore, you have something to prove and you need to earn it yourself. "You want two mil? You were brought here to HELP ERIC STAAL. Score 35 goals and 35 assists and you'll get it."

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:05 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
Yes! Should have offered him the league minimum heavy with bonuses. VERY HEAVY! When nobody wants you anymore, you have something to prove and you need to earn it yourself. "You want two mil? You were brought here to HELP ERIC STAAL. Score 35 goals and 35 assists and you'll get it."
Cole isn't eligible for that kind of bonus-based contract.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:10 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
You all are bunch of Debbie Downers. When that Chuck dude shows up he'll tell you all that Cole is going to score 30 goals this season.

On another note, I was intrigued by the interview Tripp had with Cullen's wife between 2nd and 3rd periods last night.
He asked her, about what team needs to do to win. She said something along the lines that she had few ideas, but she couldn't tell that on TV. This could be nothing, or could be rumbling that she hears at home, and there is more behind the scenes going on than we realize.
Talk about conspiracy theories.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:58 AM
DoomMF

Quote:
If our best effort is losing to the worst team in hockey, we SUCK
Very good point.

Hopefully our next "best effort of the year" is against the Maple Leafs and maybe with some luck we can get 1 point out of that game.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Caniac12

Whitney"C"-Cullen-Staal
Ruutu-Jokinen-Cole
Samsonov-Sutter-Walker

?

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
You all are bunch of Debbie Downers. When that Chuck dude shows up he'll tell you all that Cole is going to score 30 goals this season.

On another note, I was intrigued by the interview Tripp had with Cullen's wife between 2nd and 3rd periods last night.
He asked her, about what team needs to do to win. She said something along the lines that she had few ideas, but she couldn't tell that on TV. This could be nothing, or could be rumbling that she hears at home, and there is more behind the scenes going on than we realize.
Talk about conspiracy theories.
I found it funnier how Tripp was grilling her. She's like "We need to get the PP working" and Tripp gets all snippy and responds "Well, that's kind of obvious. Anything else?".

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Geez, looking over the boxscore and seeing Yelle with only 2:19 played the entire game, Kostopoulos with 6:17... what the **** Maurice? I touched on this... nevermind, I had a mini-rant on this the other day, but I just don't agree with how Mo is rolling the lines.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I found it funnier how Tripp was grilling her. She's like "We need to get the PP working" and Tripp gets all snippy and responds "Well, that's kind of obvious. Anything else?".
Maybe they forgot to feed him before the game.

10-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

A little piece from the N&O,

Quote:
After the loss to the Wild, there was talk of the 10 penalties, resulting in seven Minnesota power plays -- a recurring problem this season.

"The majority were warranted, but there sure were a lot the other way that didn't get called," Whitney said. "When you have to kill a lot of penalties, it taxes a lot of your players, physically. The last 10 minutes we may have looked on the tired side."

Hmmm, maybe... just maybe Maurice if you would give Yelle and Kostopoulos a few more minutes in a game (rather than between 2-6) our other guys wouldn't have to play so many minutes dedicated to the PK and be 3/4 spent by the 10 minute mark of the 3rd? Especially when it is your 3rd game in 4 nights, on the road to boot.

Just a thought.

Old
10-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Hmmm, maybe... just maybe Maurice if you would give Yelle and Kostopoulos a few more minutes in a game (rather than between 2-6) our other guys wouldn't have to play so many minutes dedicated to the PK and be 3/4 spent by the 10 minute mark of the 3rd? Especially when it is your 3rd game in 4 nights, on the road to boot.

Just a thought.
Considering Yelle spends the 6 minutes a night he gets now taking stupid penalties, somehow I don't think increasing that ice time will help us take less.

Old
10-26-2009, 09:00 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Considering Yelle spends the 6 minutes a night he gets now taking stupid penalties, somehow I don't think increasing that ice time will help us take less.
I would bet Boychuk or maybe Bowman/Dywer are packed and ready. Or at least counting the days until the call-up. Yelle and TKO need some alone time in the press box.

Old
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I can agree Yelle has taken his fair share of dumb penalties, however that doesnt explain to me why in the first 4 games Yelle wasn't being used to what I thought he would be and he only had 2 penalty minutes in that time span.

Even so, it doesn't explain why Kostopoulos isn't getting much time. Sure he's got 14 penalty minutes, but they were all in one game (vs. Boston). He played a whole 6 minutes the other night. We're a veteran team and that was our 3rd game in 4 nights on the road. Give me a break. Sure there are times when as a coach you shorten your bench, we're at the 10 game mark and Maurice is and has been doing it way to much. I can't wait until January and February when our top 3 lines are completely out of gas, and we'll all sit here wondering why.

It's simple to me, Maurice isn't using his bench the way I believe he should be. I actually like the guy and believe he is a good coach, but this is pissing me off. If Kostopoulos can be used in Montreal with success and be praised by their fans and Yelle can be a key piece to a Bruins team who won the Eastern Conference, they can be used here.

Last edited by Guerzy: 10-26-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old
10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
I can agree Yelle has taken his fair share of dumb penalties, however that doesnt explain to me why in the first 4 games Yelle wasn't being used to what I thought he would be and he only had 2 penalty minutes in that time span.

Even so, it doesn't explain why Kostopoulos isn't getting much time. Sure he's got 14 penalty minutes, but they were all in one game (vs. Boston). He played a whole 6 minutes the other night. Sure there are times when as a coach you shorten your bench, we're at the 10 game mark and Maurice is and has been doing it way to much. I can't wait until January and February when our top 3 lines are completely out of gas, and we'll all sit here wondering why.

It's simple to me, Maurice isn't using his bench the way I believe he should be. If Kostopoulos can be used in Montreal with success and be praised by their fans and Yelle can be a key piece to a Bruins team who won the Eastern Conference, they can be used here.

I agree. Mo should be rolling 4 lines. Makes no sense with the experience we have on the 4th. Would good is the "tough" if it only playes 6 minutes or whatever?

Old
10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

You also have to remember the other player on the 4th line: Conboy. While Yelle and Kostopolous have had success in the past, Conboy's nothing more than an enforcer, plain and simple.

Against Minnesota, he spent his time in the revolving door of the penalty box. Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't suspended, because I was sure the league frowned upon fighting again as soon as you finished serving your major for the first fight.

At the moment, I'm simply happy that Maurice has decided to stick with the same line combinations for more than a game. I really do believe that's the reason our offense has struggled so much. Hard to build chemistry (and thus, set up scoring chances) when you've got new linemates every game.

Old
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You also have to remember the other player on the 4th line: Conboy. While Yelle and Kostopolous have had success in the past, Conboy's nothing more than an enforcer, plain and simple.

Yah, I was thinking that to about Conboy, which is a very fair point. If that's the case then I'll also go as far as putting some of the blame on JR, because if our coach cannot play 2 guys who can help make the team successful because of one plug, you've got to fix that and give your coach the people who can give you the the best chance to win every night. If Conboy is going to put a roadblock in that this season, I don't know what to think. If Yelle and Kostopoulos are going to be used like this all year because Conboy, why the heck did we bother to sign them?

I guess we'll just have to sit back and see how this plays out.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Beautiful goal. Pitkanen has been stellar both last night and now tonight in creating offensive opportunities all by himself. You can call me impressed.
im reading a lot of you guys saying this. i saw him live for the first time with us fri here in denver and was appalled. he was brutal. he makes zero effort for loose pucks, and if he and a teammate and an opposing player are all going for a puck - ive repeatedly seen him give up and let his teammate go fight for it even if he had a step on him. some of his passes were wallin like. my biggest problem was that he flat out played like a wussy, and didnt compete when we needed him the most. he made the occasional foray into the offensive zone, but his job is to be at the least average in his own end. corvo is chucklehead back there too but he at least gives the effort.

he plays a scaredy cat game for a guy his size. hopefully it was just a bad game for him but i think ive seen things like this on tv a few times too. thats why i was looking forward to seeing it live. i was in the 17th row in our d end twice and got a good look at all our guys up close in our end. a lot of our problems can be easily seen there. we get beat or outworked to loose pucks, access to the front of the net from down low does not require a staal driving through to get there, and we currently possess no breakout or qualified d personnel outside of pitts and occasionally joe to make a 10-15 foot pass to start one. nik "hot potato" wallin was in rare form against the avs, the glass and boards arent quite the same as the blade of a wide open teammate, and i dont think the angles a puck bounces off such objects are the angles he sees in his mind. i pointed him out in warm ups to my friends and he did not disappoint while staying out a little later with some of the guys. every pass from the corner issued softly to his stick was bobbled on reception (hot potato!), and then he struggled to corral it unguarded before missing a goalie-less net 4 out of 5 times. he wasnt just missing the perfect corner either. during the game ward's simple passes were the most sure handed ones we had. we look BAD in our own end. no patience, poise, or confidence in our o end, but that can come in time with some overall success.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i saw him live for the first time with us fri here in denver and was appalled. he was brutal.
His play in no way warrants use of the words "appalled" and "brutal".

That comment was brutal.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Joni is easily our best puck mover, if you were appalled then I have no idea how you will ever be happy... The play where he went end to end and dumped a perfect pass behind him to I forget who was brilliant and would have led to a goal if anyone on this damn team knew how to finish

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
His play in no way warrants use of the words "appalled" and "brutal".

That comment was brutal.
he was brutal in his own end. brutal. his offense wasnt nearly enough to make up for it. he made one decision i saw that ive seen him do before that was downright cowardly. he needs to be a competent defenseman, and as i said previously maybe he is on other nights - he was not friday night. i watched the replay on tv and many of these plays didnt get caught on tv at all. its my opinion before i saw him the other night that he is slow and indecisive in his own end frequently and is only a good skater on one on ones backwards and when skating forward offensively.

in his own end and the corners he looks like babs at times, tho he can take a hit better. he looks brilliant when dancing around the offensive zone.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 10-26-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Joni is easily our best puck mover, if you were appalled then I have no idea how you will ever be happy... The play where he went end to end and dumped a perfect pass behind him to I forget who was brilliant and would have led to a goal if anyone on this damn team knew how to finish
i expect him to be a no 1 dman as that is his role, that is what we called him when we acquired him and that is how we play him. a no 1 d man is better in his own end then that. i agree he is our best d mover by a LARGE margin, and thats why i think our teams d struggles. i could care less if he ever makes an end to end rush - that aint his job. its a nice perk, but even if someone had been on the other end of the pass that could finish his job is still to be a competent d man. he needs to be a leader on both ends if he is to be that role for us. maybe it was only one night but he was a cowardly lion against the avs at times and it was tough to watch.

he has amazing skill, but i now see many of the complaints former teams fans had about him. he is soft mentally, and seems to be an island to himself at times. you would call it lack of finish around him, but philly had good people around him and they still had no issues moving him. if our d core was more solid around him it would be less of an issue but we count on this guy for a LOT.