HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Wings @ Avs 10/24 9pm Est

Old
10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Commander Enigma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
People need to stop worrying about Duchene.
NOOO!!!! Worry! Panic! It's now or never for young Dutchy! If he doesn't become a consistent force of offensive glory by his 19th birthday he's DOOMED! DOOOMED I tell you!

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
People need to stop worrying about Duchene. It seems like everyone is forgetting the kid is an 18yr old playing against full grown men every night, there are going to be some nights where he struggles. His offensive game does look a little bit lost, but thats because he seems to be rushing things a bit, and once he figures that out his game will come, I mean he has only played 11 games and he has 6pts which isn't terrible.

Another thing I'm starting to realize is teams are putting there 1st paring dmen out against Duchene. Last night for example, I saw Lidstrom out there 9 out of 10 times against Duchene. Lidstrom has shut down some good players over the years. Its hard to score against other teams top dmen when you are established, its even harder when you are just trying to figure out the game.

Its hard to compare O'Reilly to Duchene. O'Reilly has skated against mainly 3rd pairing dmen while Duchene gets 1st or 2nd pairing dmen. Duchene continues to have to play with players that coast around and only play hard when they feel like it, while O'Reilly has played with players that work there butts off every shift.

I'm glad O'Reilly is playing so well and putting points on the board, he has been a huge asset to the PK, plus he has given us a legit 3rd line center. But if you look at it in context, we've put O'Reilly in a place to succeed. While on the other hand we've put Duchene in a place where he is going to have some growing pains.

O'Reilly has already had that breakout game where he seems to figure it out, and slow his game down. Duchene really hasn't, but he is close I guarantee you sometime in the next 3-5 games Duchene will have a game where he scores a goal and has 2 assists, and that will be the turning point scoring wise for his year and the game will slow down for him.
You're right. I've just gotten a little worried and probably forgotten how Doucher's been playing (since I haven't watched three games in a row ). But it just seemed like last time I did watch him he just wasn't as flashy and just looked like he'd lost a little confidence.

But I honestly don't know, as I haven't been able to watch. Is he still looking good?

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:35 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
You're right. I've just gotten a little worried and probably forgotten how Doucher's been playing (since I haven't watched three games in a row ). But it just seemed like last time I did watch him he just wasn't as flashy and just looked like he'd lost a little confidence.

But I honestly don't know, as I haven't been able to watch. Is he still looking good?
Nothing spectacular. His overall play has been fine.

His linemates in my opinion are still not great. I'm interested to see what Duchene and Wolski can do together, combined they have limitless skill but can they put it together. They have him with Svatos and Wolski now, which basically means Duchene gets 2 guys that just coast around.

They let Duchene play with Wolski and Hejduk for 2 periods against Carolina and it looked good, but of course they put Hejduk with Stastny in the 3rd.

Duchene looked pretty solid against Carolina, 2 PP assists. They actually put Duchene on the point on a 5-3 PP, and he made a great pass to set up our goal. I wouldn't mind seeing Duchene on the point on some PP's in the 1st and 2nd periods, in the 3rd you got to go a little more conservative.

I think you are right Duchene has become a bit less flashy, but I think thats a good thing. Duchene needs to learn to score and make smart plays in this league before he starts making all star flashy type plays. Its the whole crawl before you walk thing.

I also think he is a bit frustrated, because of his lack of production, and the inconsistent play he is getting from his wingers. Its hard when you are wasting all your energy making up for lazy wingers all the time.

Honestly he is one good game away from breaking out. Hopefully he can start to get some chemistry with Wolski that would also help with the offensive side of things.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Avsboy

How did Hensick look yesterday, considering he's with fourth line players?

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
How did Hensick look yesterday, considering he's with fourth line players?
I thought he was awful. Looked dis-interested and justified Sacco sitting him. I was really disappointed cause I thought he could play in the top 6. He did play with 4th liners, but you earn your ice time. I don't think he earned anything but a ticket to the AHL.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:46 PM
NHL33*

He had an unmemorable game, but it's also his first in a while so it could be partially rust at fault.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Could we actually get anything for Hensick if the trade deadline was today?

I'm thinking MAYBE a 4th or 5th rounder?

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Could we actually get anything for Hensick if the trade deadline was today?

I'm thinking MAYBE a 4th or 5th rounder?
Well we had a second round pick for Richardson a few years ago , so who knows. I think they should wait at the draft to trade him , they will get a plus value

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:25 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
The thing we have to consider is that every team has guys like Hensick. Your smallish, decent skilled guys who don't hit or play any defense whatsoever. They're a dime a dozen.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I thought he was awful. Looked dis-interested and justified Sacco sitting him. I was really disappointed cause I thought he could play in the top 6. He did play with 4th liners, but you earn your ice time. I don't think he earned anything but a ticket to the AHL.
I thought he'd played well enough in the Nashville game to earn time, but he wound up getting scratched for seven more games. It's tough to keep a guy on the shelf that long then expect him to do something noteworthy in seven minutes of play. It's a tough situation. They can't send him back to the AHL without putting him on waivers and likely losing him for nothing... but I think with the injuries they should give him at least as many games until McLeod returns to prove himself, if anything other than to improve his trade value.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:04 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
I think Anderson should be given an extension right now before he wins some awards.
Lets wait and see how this season turns out before we give him a 12 yr contract

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Lets wait and see how this season turns out before we give him a 12 yr contract
Charles Wang is that you ?

Old
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Im Wang, Leonsis, Ilitch, Tallon all rolled in too one haha

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Only if he suggests Jose Theodore should be the GM

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Avsboy

I wasn't suggesting a Dipietro contract. More like a Hejduk contract. Give him 2 more years at $4 million. That would be a steal IMO.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting a Dipietro contract. More like a Hejduk contract. Give him 2 more years at $4 million. That would be a steal IMO.
Do you really think Anderson or his agent would accept a deal like that? Anderson is at the moment playing like a top three goaltender in the league. What happens if he signs a deal like that and he goes on to win the Vezina or Hart? Then he becomes the most underpaid goalie in the NHL, and pretty much shot himself in the foot.

He's going to want the year to play out how it may.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
isn't it a bit premature to sign a contract starting in the 2011-2012 season? I know pronger did something like that, but I don't think it's very common

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Only if he suggests Jose Theodore should be the GM
Theodore as a GM , that would be a baldmove ...in Theo's case

Old
10-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Avsboy

It's not very common, but I would love if it happened. As for the agent not wanting it, hell no he wouldn't want it. You never know, maybe Anderson feels some loyalty to the avs and thinks $4 million per is a lot of money.

If I were Sherman (playing armchair GM here), I'd say "We love you here Anderson, we know you have "it." Let's talk about the future." I'd try to get the ball rolling asap. Anderson has clearly proved himself enough to warrant a permanent future here. If he wins the vezina and hart, he'll be worth $7 million a season and break the avs' bank.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
It's not very common, but I would love if it happened. As for the agent not wanting it, hell no he wouldn't want it. You never know, maybe Anderson feels some loyalty to the avs and thinks $4 million per is a lot of money.

If I were Sherman (playing armchair GM here), I'd say "We love you here Anderson, we know you have "it." Let's talk about the future." I'd try to get the ball rolling asap. Anderson has clearly proved himself enough to warrant a permanent future here. If he wins the vezina and hart, he'll be worth $7 million a season and break the avs' bank.
Oh, I thought you were talking two million a season. Four million sounds reasonable, but then you come in to - "is this a Budaj moment? Is he just putting together a good string of games like Budaj did in '06?" IMO he's not worth the $4 million a year until he proves himself for an entire season. Come on people, we're still talking about a guy who has barely started more than a season's worth of games in his entire career.

You gotta give him more than eleven games before you start calling him the messiah.

Old
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
I'm pretty sure players can't sign a contract extension until the player is in the last year of his contract.

Besides, it's stupid to tie up millions of dollars based on just a few games. See Clark, Brett. If Anderson continues to play solidly through the end of the year, I have no doubt that he'll get re-signed. The Avs have no good goalie prospects in their system that will be ready in 2 years, and Anderson and Colorado seem to already have a Hollywood love affair going on.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I'm pretty sure players can't sign a contract extension until the player is in the last year of his contract.

Besides, it's stupid to tie up millions of dollars based on just a few games. See Clark, Brett. If Anderson continues to play solidly through the end of the year, I have no doubt that he'll get re-signed. The Avs have no good goalie prospects in their system that will be ready in 2 years, and Anderson and Colorado seem to already have a Hollywood love affair going on.
Yep, they can't extend him until he's in the last year of his contract.