HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Coyotes (10/24/09)

Old
10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
ower

vCash: 966
penalties have absolutely killed us tonight. Good 1st period and then down hill from there.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
hao chi

vCash: 500
Way to **** up a very winnable game, Yotes.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
We're carrying some dead weight here: Lang, Pyatt, and Mueller.

I'll cut Lang a break since he's old and missed training camp. But Pyatt is sllooooooowwwww. Here's some trivia:

What's the difference between Pyatt and Dan Winnik?

Pyatt plays on the 1st line and Dan Winnik plays on the 4th line.

I'm starting to think Mueller needs some AHL time to regain his confidence, score some goals down there, get some points. He looks sad out there and is definitely dead weight to the Upshall/Lombardi line.

Would Porter be more effective up here than Mueller?

I believe so. His hustle and 2-way play would fit this Tippet team a lot better.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Llewzaher

Well this might have worked out for the best ..had they won this game ,I think it would have "allowed" bad habits to be acceptable . In the long run this loss might be a good thing and bring them back to reality , and realize they have to play disciplined hockey and work hard for 60 min per game ,and not shy away from the system .

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:43 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Kings outplayed us tonight, it was kind of expected tho, I mean we had to lose eventually and the Kings played great in periods 2 and 3. We had a chance, but your not going to win many games when you give up 4 goals. Tough loss, but overall we still are in good shape.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
penalties have absolutely killed us tonight. Good 1st period and then down hill from there.
Michalek doesn't have a vicious bone in his body and I don't believe for a moment that he cross-checked Brown into the boards with that much force. If Brown doesn't launch himself into the boards, nobody thinks about that play twice, and the Coyotes don't get screwed into another 5-on-3.

Pyatt looks pretty useless on the top line, but honestly it beats having a good prospect thrown into the NHL before they're ready. (Yes, I think Boedker and Porter need more time in the minors before they'll do well with the big club.) One does wonder if Winnik might not make better use of the ice time, but just because he's on the third line doesn't mean he's not providing a valuable service there.

Mueller needs to run around. Go fast, at least by his standards, and hit people. He should ask somebody to show him how. I think it would make him feel better if he could contribute in some other way when he's not scoring.

It was a winnable game, but nobody wins all the winnable games all the time. Mistakes happen, but the main thing at this point is for the Coyotes not to make a habit of losing games like this.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:27 PM
52G228PIM*

What the hell do we do now?? 80-2 is out the window..

52G228PIM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Yote View Post
We're carrying some dead weight here: Lang, Pyatt, and Mueller.

I'll cut Lang a break since he's old and missed training camp. But Pyatt is sllooooooowwwww. Here's some trivia:

What's the difference between Pyatt and Dan Winnik?

Pyatt plays on the 1st line and Dan Winnik plays on the 4th line.

I'm starting to think Mueller needs some AHL time to regain his confidence, score some goals down there, get some points. He looks sad out there and is definitely dead weight to the Upshall/Lombardi line.

Would Porter be more effective up here than Mueller?

I believe so. His hustle and 2-way play would fit this Tippet team a lot better.
Unfortunately, Mueller can't be sent down without going through waivers, he has a few too many NHL games played. I think GMDM should have sent Mueller down while he had the chance, and tried to get Tippet to give Boedker more ice time and see what he does.

But yeah, Pyatt needs to GTFO the first line. I still think Mueller would be the best fit for the first line, and he might even need to be on Doan's line at this point in his career.

I also wouldn't mind trying Korpedo on Lombardi's line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Michalek doesn't have a vicious bone in his body and I don't believe for a moment that he cross-checked Brown into the boards with that much force. If Brown doesn't launch himself into the boards, nobody thinks about that play twice, and the Coyotes don't get screwed into another 5-on-3.
Brown either has the legs of an atrophied six year old girl, or he completely sold that crosscheck.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:14 AM
zz

I know - it's jus one bad loss, we need to keep things in perspective we still have a solid record blah blah blah.

I am SICK and ****ing TIRED of watching this team lose. Every ****ing time I go to the game, we SUCK ASS. I should just save myself the ****ing drive and just give up. Seriously. Again, I'm bring 4 family members, luke-warm hockey fans. After telling telling them all about the new team, the new coach, the winning record, the defensive system, the speed, the hard work, all that ********, we go to an empty arena (there must have been about 5,000 people there), and the same ****ing pathetic excuse of a team that looks lost and can't complete a ****ing pass. The team SUCKED. I mean if we didn't have Doan doing something out there, we might as well not even bother crossing that blue line. Just get 5 guys in the back and throw pucks from 80 feet away. We'd end up with the same generous SOG stats, but probably wouldn't get scored on too much.

Lang looks like he's about 95 years old.
Mueller was completely invisible. I think I saw #88 somewhere over the horizon at some point, but I must have been dreaming.
No hits. We looked like complete ******* out there.

Other than Doan and the Czech line, everyone sucked ass. It was the same exact **** we've been seeing for the past 5 years. Except now I get to hear some ******* with a Kings cap tell me I really shouldn't care so much since the team won't be here next year.

****ing *******.

EDIT: one more thing. The skill difference between us and the Kings was so frigging obvious during this game. We've got nothing resembling Smyth / Brown / Kopitar. Wel,, we've got Doan, alone among a bunch of pylons.

Last edited by zz: 10-25-2009 at 12:22 AM.
zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:43 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

you have to give Muller at least some props, his defensive game has significantly improved, especially on the PP. Still not a great night, but he was a huge defensive liability the last two years. He is a much more conservative playing the point and not chasing every open puck, especially if their is no defensive coverage. Unlike seasons in the past, this is a sign of maturity.

I would like to know why Bissonette is on this team, every year we go threw the Goon-or-not-to-Goon discussion(s) do we dress this guy because were going up against Ivanans. When we came out flat in the third, why on earth wasn't he out there "firing" his team up? 2:53 of ice time, their had to be someone else in the organization that could have been more useful and done more with 2:53, I guess he drew a penalty and tried desperately to sell it into a 4m one so I guess give him credit for not biting his lip hard enough, he can't even do that right.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:58 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I know - it's jus one bad loss, we need to keep things in perspective we still have a solid record blah blah blah.

I am SICK and ****ing TIRED of watching this team lose. Every ****ing time I go to the game, we SUCK ASS. I should just save myself the ****ing drive and just give up. Seriously. Again, I'm bring 4 family members, luke-warm hockey fans. After telling telling them all about the new team, the new coach, the winning record, the defensive system, the speed, the hard work, all that ********, we go to an empty arena (there must have been about 5,000 people there), and the same ****ing pathetic excuse of a team that looks lost and can't complete a ****ing pass. The team SUCKED. I mean if we didn't have Doan doing something out there, we might as well not even bother crossing that blue line. Just get 5 guys in the back and throw pucks from 80 feet away. We'd end up with the same generous SOG stats, but probably wouldn't get scored on too much.

Lang looks like he's about 95 years old.
Mueller was completely invisible. I think I saw #88 somewhere over the horizon at some point, but I must have been dreaming.
No hits. We looked like complete ******* out there.

Other than Doan and the Czech line, everyone sucked ass. It was the same exact **** we've been seeing for the past 5 years. Except now I get to hear some ******* with a Kings cap tell me I really shouldn't care so much since the team won't be here next year.

****ing *******.

EDIT: one more thing. The skill difference between us and the Kings was so frigging obvious during this game. We've got nothing resembling Smyth / Brown / Kopitar. Wel,, we've got Doan, alone among a bunch of pylons.

So you were all pissed off sitting in your seat lamenting when Vrbata tied it up..

When that light when on your very first thought was, "man, this team sucks"..

52G228PIM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:59 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Unfortunately, Mueller can't be sent down without going through waivers, he has a few too many NHL games played.
This is really tragic. What do we do then?

(I would trade him to the Leafs. They're really desperate right now)

Old
10-25-2009, 02:14 AM
kingbrutis

Mueller was just horrible. I say sit him and give Porter/Maclean a shot.

Lang is what he is. He is a smart, roll model for the Czech's. He can win 40% of faceoffs.

They were really bad on faceoffs. To many penalties (deserved or not that was the biggest factor in the game).

Doan singled handedly kept the game close.

All I can really add tp this is we arnt going to win every game and if this was last year, we would have lost 7-3.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:35 AM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Mueller and Pyatt are really pissing me off, they have been completely invisible for the past few games. Trade Mueller send down Pyatt and call up someone who actually appears everyone and a while and not float around the sidelines and watches the play.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:15 AM
kingbrutis

Yea, dont trade the dude. He is a young player still maybe he needs to play thru it. Tip is the coach, he knows better than all of us duches that act like we know what's going on.

Old
10-25-2009, 03:23 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
So you were all pissed off sitting in your seat lamenting when Vrbata tied it up..

I'm with you. If you compare this game to the relative performance in the others it was a 'bad' game. But if we accept it was a bad game and then realize they still only lost by one goal and were in it all the way to the end we have to take that as a good sign.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:35 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Yea, dont trade the dude. He is a young player still maybe he needs to play thru it. Tip is the coach, he knows better than all of us duches that act like we know what's going on.
I've seen 0 progress out of Mueller through 9 games under Tippet. His confidence must be totally shot. A player like that cannot go 10 games without a goal after a crappy season and not have it affect his confidence.

Old
10-25-2009, 04:48 AM
kingbrutis

So Toronto offers a minor leager and a 3rd. No way, let the kid grow. Let him go to SA and play with Turris. In 2 yrs, it might be something special. As of now, no one knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Yote View Post
I've seen 0 progress out of Mueller through 9 games under Tippet. His confidence must be totally shot. A player like that cannot go 10 games without a goal after a crappy season and not have it affect his confidence.

Old
10-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

I'm sorry folks. And I do feel bad for posting this as I'm kind of useless in helping to build any following for this team down there. If you can't put people in the seats when you're trying to save your team and you're playing mostly good hockey you're kind of lost.

While there really doesn't seem to be be enough people that give a ****, I applaud all of those on this forum and elsewhere that have given their guts trying. You are real fans.

I know this post won't be popular, especially to that yakoo guy so I won't be coming back often. I really do hope you guys get a new owner VERY soon that will have some ideas on how to get the butts in the seats and a loyal fan base that will see this team through to playoff success. I still plan to make a game or two this year myself.

Cheers all.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I'm sorry folks. And I do feel bad for posting this as I'm kind of useless in helping to build any following for this team down there. If you can't put people in the seats when you're trying to save your team and you're playing mostly good hockey you're kind of lost.
I don't think we could reasonably expect attendance to pick up again until November, December or even January. The damage that Jerry Moyes and Jim Balsillie did to this team's image can't be fixed with just a few good games. If March rolls around and A) the Coyotes still look like a team that will make the playoffs and B) attendance is still this bad--like, 1/3 of capacity bad--then you could wonder whether it's a lost cause.

Honestly, I don't expect what you'd call good attendance until the year after a solid regular season with maybe a playoff appearance. The team has to demonstrate that it's improving, and that it isn't going to move anytime soon. Can't do that in just one month, even if it was a good month.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO SUPPORT A (POTENTIALLY) LAME DUCK TEAM?!

How can any of you expect people to make the emotional and financial commitments necessary to fill the arena right now? It's not going to happen until the ownership situation is resolved. Period.

I am as die-hard as they come, but I'm not going to piss away a few thousand dollars on season tickets to go watch a team that may not be here next season. How do you think casual fans see it? If and when we get an ownership group in here that is commited to keeping the team in Phoenix, I'll hand over my money. But they need to do it sooner than later. Until they do, it doesn't matter how many games this team wins. People will not support a team that is not "their" team. Myself included. It is foolish to expect otherwise.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

It's pretty obvious that damage was done between people turned off by the bankruptcy and the entire offseason of marketing lost. The most immediate need is to get the ownership situation settled.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO SUPPORT A (POTENTIALLY) LAME DUCK TEAM?!

How can any of you expect people to make the emotional and financial commitments necessary to fill the arena right now? It's not going to happen until the ownership situation is resolved. Period.

I am as die-hard as they come, but I'm not going to piss away a few thousand dollars on season tickets to go watch a team that may not be here next season. How do you think casual fans see it? If and when we get an ownership group in here that is commited to keeping the team in Phoenix, I'll hand over my money. But they need to do it sooner than later. Until they do, it doesn't matter how many games this team wins. People will not support a team that is not "their" team. Myself included. It is foolish to expect otherwise.
Potential owners know this. A lot of people think finding a owner to keep the team in phoenix hinges on filling the arena this season. A person coming in to buy the team is already going to know if they're keeping the team here or moving it. There's no one on the fence waiting to see how attendance pans out. Any business or person coming in is already going to have the research done and believe it can be profitable and see the possibility of growth or not.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:18 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post

Good first period. 2nd and 3rd looked exactly like the past few years. Average D, horrendous offense. 2-3 players making things happen (Doan, Vrbata, Hanzal). Everybody else watching.

You can sugar-coat it all you want - for 2/3 of the game the Kings dominated and we played like crap.

There are 2 ways you can look at this home stand. At the first glance the points look good, we've won 3 games out of 4. That's great. Looking deeper, we played like **** against the Blues, played one very good game agains the Bruins, stole 2 points from the Wings, and played 1 good period against the Kings. The end result is flattering, but the quality of play of the past 4 games is remniscent of the Gretzky years - 1 terrible game, 1 good, 2 mediocre outings.

We made it all the way to the ASG with a similar pattern and same flattering record. Then, when things mattered and teams stepped up, we collapsed.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Maybe I was watching a different game, but I saw a Coyotes team that dominated every statistical category for 3/4 of the game, just that 1/4 was real bad. The untimely penalties were just unacceptable, and we paid for it. Z's X-Check was just a mental lapse on his behalf as was the two bench minors, our 5-3 PK looked good to me, we doubled up shots on them for the most part. TOP was tilted in our favor. I just don't think it's the end of the world, were still one of the better teams in the league. Bryz probably should have had the night off, curious if Barbs will be starting Monday @ MSG?

As for the attendance issue, it does scare me. Especially when every article published outside of this market brings that up in their first paragraph, it's embarrassing. As for the "lame-duck" issue. I struggled with this all summer, but if you love hockey as much as I do then why on earth would you deprive yourself it, no matter whether the team is here or not? I renewed my ST for one reason, I love this sport and I will give this team everything I can afford to. They give me hours of entertainment (some I want to bash my head in) but to not attend games b/c it's a 50/50 chance this is a lame duck? I'm sorry you must be more a fair weather fan that all the new band wagon Cardinals fans throughout the valley. If you love hockey then everyone on this board should be physically at as many games as they can afford both monetarily and scheduling wise. PERIOD! I'm sorry I just think this belief that I'm not going to "invest" in a lame duck team is in itself a lame reaction. It's entertainment, supposed to be fun, it's not like your investing your money in a stock or bond here. Their is no financial gain for you to attend games. You investing in 3 hours of entertainment, and is that worth it to you? is the question.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote