HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Kings @ Coyotes (10/24/09)

Old
10-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Alamo

vCash: 500
To everyone who said Lang needs to GTFO, are you serious?
He looked good tonight... I saw 4-5 amazing steals from him tonight alone.. Hes one of the few guys on this team that can actually get a pass TO a teammate and not just to the stick of the other team. Hes slower than a turtle but hes smart about what he should be doing away from the puck.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
To everyone who said Lang needs to GTFO, are you serious?
He looked good tonight... I saw 4-5 amazing steals from him tonight alone.. Hes one of the few guys on this team that can actually get a pass TO a teammate and not just to the stick of the other team. Hes slower than a turtle but hes smart about what he should be doing away from the puck.
I think there's been some over-reaction to Lang. Yeah, he's slow, but he's one of those guys you always hear about who plays with his head on a swivel. He has great awareness of where he is on the ice and is making some nice passes that guys are just plain missing. Yes, he makes turnovers, but creates more than he gives up.

I also thought Pyatt played his best game last night. He does a look a little tentative everywhere on the ice except in front of the net. Every shift he was out there if we got deep into the zone he was always around the net. Had a couple of good chances just didn't bury them. He does not to get more aggressive along the boards and better use his size. But I think he's going to be fine.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:53 PM
60DegreesIsCold

Not their best, but really, very few teams dominate every time. All I want this year is to make the playoffs, so we don't have to be perfect, we just have to be better than in the past. We've had some games where we destroyed the other team, some where we eked out a win, some where we straight out stole a win, and 1 or 2 where we were bad, like this one. And even then, at least this loss was close. We weren't blown out or anything, and we were in it until the third.

I didn't like that a few guys were doing everything. In the third, I saw Doan starting to try to singlehandedly win the game, and that gave me bad flashbacks to the Gretzky era. And the parade to the penalty box was incredibly frustrating. We're not going to score a lot of shorthanded goals this season, so even if our pk does its job, every minor is two minutes lost that we could be scoring.

The Czech line is perfect. Tons of chances, and all three of them perform their roles well. Vrbata is SO good here.

Lang does some good things, but he drives me crazy with the blind passes that inevitably result in turnovers. He does it ALL.THE.TIME. When is he going to learn that it doesn't work?

I definitely don't want to trade Mueller. He's one of our few players with high offensive upside and the potential to be a star. Sometimes, it's worth it to take on a little bit of risk, and we have plenty of guys who have it all together to pick up the slack while he figures things out. That said, I'm concerned about his play the last few games. I thought he was solid early in the season, even if he wasn't scoring, and I thought he was excellent versus St. Louis and in the preseason, but he's been completely ineffective recently. I'm worried that it's starting to become a confidence issue. I don't know a lot about Mueller, but I thought towards the end of last season, he looked like he was beating himself up a lot every time he made a mistake and eventually, he just seemed to give up. I'm worried that with his present lack of scoring, he's starting to revert back to that, and since we can't send him to the minors, I don't know what we can do about it. It doesn't seem like his problem is something easy to solve.

I admit that I haven't watched Pyatt before he came here, so he might be better when he's not injured. For now though, I think he should be moved off of Doan's line, because I don't think he contributes much of anything except being too big to push out of the way. He doesn't use his size for anything else, and he doesn't impress me as being particularly good at anything. He might get a lot of chances, but not a single one looked dangerous to me. Even when he was up at the net, he was too slow to make it really matter. Again, if he gets better as he heals, we could totally try it again, but for now, I'm not excited by his play.

60DegreesIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

as long as the team is competitive.....I don't care what I or anyone on this site thinks.

GMDM & CDT should do whatever they want.

9 games and in every single game the team has had the lead, been tied, or within 1 goal of tying the game within the last couple minutes of the game.

Why change anything?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
as long as the team is competitive.....I don't care what I or anyone on this site thinks.

GMDM & CDT should do whatever they want.

9 games and in every single game the team has had the lead, been tied, or within 1 goal of tying the game within the last couple minutes of the game.

Why change anything?
I missed the 2nd half of the game last night due to the free trial of CI expiring, I thought it would still play on DVR today but no such luck. I'm with you though, I saw a competitive game and it looks like it was down to a 1-goal game with an empty netter. I don't think anything needs to change, although I think Labby is due for a start against the Rangers and I'd like to see Korpedo in over Biz.

I've seen it discussed on this thread, and I think the enforcer role is a very challenging role that people are overlooking. Just because a player like Biz might be ready to go it doesn't mean that he has a counterpart that is willing to accept. Being ahead by one goal on the road is probably not a situation where the road coach (LA) says to their enforcer to indulge the hometown enforcer to get the crowd and home team into the game. That is also part of the reason that I think enforcers are not worth the roster spot. You might want one in your minor league team that you can recall if needed and you were pushed around by a team in the past, but they should not be everyday players. Korpedo might have been the difference in a game like last night over someone like Biz.

That said I didn't see the game unfold as it did, so maybe there are some observations that would change these opinions.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm not in favor of dumping Mueller in a trade, or even sending Pyatt anywhere. Pyatt was injured and had no training camp, I want to see 20 games under his belt with the team before I make any real judgment.

I would trade Mueller, but only for an equal value trade, like a great top offensive potential talent that was top 10 any of the past couple of years ala Cogliano or the other kid in Edmonton (name escapes me). I have no interest in dumping Mueller for anything less than high 1st rounder value.

I know a couple of us have said it, but this team is still very similar to last year's team. I think everyone is a little bipolar with the mood swings from the team having such a good run through 8 games and then losing a tough game at home, it's one extreme to another. I'm still concerned with the offense as the powerplay seems to be vital for the Coyotes offense and even strength goals are hurting. I'd like to see Porter come up and stay up, but only if they can fit him on one of those top 3 lines (instead of Mueller?).

In terms of following a potential lame duck team, even if the Coyotes are not in Phoenix next year they will be the team I follow for a number of years. I've invested too much time and interest to cut this team dry if they move to another town. To this day I am still a Kings fan due to their IHL affiliation with the Roadrunners nearly 15 years ago.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
AZduner

Mueller is definately on the wrong line! Sure Lombardi and Upshall have speed but they can also be selfish players! There were a number of times last night that Muels was wide open and Upshall chose to take it in by himself thinking his speed was going to allow him room for some amazing play only to get stuffed in the corner...

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:37 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60DegreesIsCold View Post
The Czech line is perfect. Tons of chances, and all three of them perform their roles well. Vrbata is SO good here.
If the Czech Republic hockey personel doesn't just take this line & insert it into their Olympic roster they should all lose their jobs. With limited practice time before hand, having an entire line with the chemistry they have and number of shifts played together is a HUGE plus for any country that doesn't have a virtually unlimted talent pool.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright, it's been 24 hours and I've calmed down a bit. My past 6 live games - other than the meaningless last game of the season - have been losses. I'm pretty sick of it. But whatever - it's just one loss, we'll do better next time. I'm going back to the Job in a month, hopefully I'll get the satisfaction of a win for once.

TT was mentioning he was paying for 3 hours of entertainment, and I 100% agree with that statement - who cares what happens in 9 months, I just want watch NHL hockey. But I'm afraid the severe attendance problems are dragging the team in a vicious downwards spiral. For people just looking for a good time out of the house (like my wife), sitting alone in a section 10% full, with a bunch of cheap boozers upgrading themselves to good seats 10 minutes into the game, is kind of depressing. She couldn't get over how empty the place was. It was sad, really, a constant reminder of how bad things are right now. She doesn't want to go back, I'll probably go to the next one by myself.

I don't know what it's going to take to jump-start the fan base, but losing your first win-win promotion is definitely not it.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:18 PM
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Alright, it's been 24 hours and I've calmed down a bit. My past 6 live games - other than the meaningless last game of the season - have been losses. I'm pretty sick of it. But whatever - it's just one loss, we'll do better next time. I'm going back to the Job in a month, hopefully I'll get the satisfaction of a win for once.

TT was mentioning he was paying for 3 hours of entertainment, and I 100% agree with that statement - who cares what happens in 9 months, I just want watch NHL hockey. But I'm afraid the severe attendance problems are dragging the team in a vicious downwards spiral. For people just looking for a good time out of the house (like my wife), sitting alone in a section 10% full, with a bunch of cheap boozers upgrading themselves to good seats 10 minutes into the game, is kind of depressing. She couldn't get over how empty the place was. It was sad, really, a constant reminder of how bad things are right now. She doesn't want to go back, I'll probably go to the next one by myself.
I don't know what it's going to take to jump-start the fan base, but losing your first win-win promotion is definitely not it.

Nah, Ill go with you, I think I am in the same boat. I cant stand to see this team lose anymore, and off to a start like this, we shouldnt be losing to a team like L.A. after demolishing the Bruins.
Granted the Kings are better team then they were last year, we should still be able to put up a point atleast.

I dont know what else this team could possibly do to get fans out there, I really dont. I hope Ice Edge pulls this team out of BR and starts some amazing specials, just for this year, and see what follows next year.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
If the Czech Republic hockey personel doesn't just take this line & insert it into their Olympic roster they should all lose their jobs. With limited practice time before hand, having an entire line with the chemistry they have and number of shifts played together is a HUGE plus for any country that doesn't have a virtually unlimted talent pool.
Speaking of which, anybody have an idea what the Czech team will look like? Michalek should definitely be going, right?

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Arizona Pride hooked me and my buddy up with some tickets to this one. Can't say I liked the effort in the third a whole lot, but I had a great time none the less. It was cool to meet AP, and have a few beers. There were good and bad things about the game. I think the players pretty much have it figured out, based on their quotes in today's Republic. Tippett, Doan, and Upshall all seemed to notice and admit that the third period effort was unacceptable. They seemed to think is was a learning experience more than anything. So hopefully even though we didn't get any points, we'll at least gain something positive from the game. Thanks again to AP, I had a blast!

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Arizona Pride hooked me and my buddy up with some tickets to this one. Can't say I liked the effort in the third a whole lot, but I had a great time none the less. It was cool to meet AP, and have a few beers. There were good and bad things about the game. I think the players pretty much have it figured out, based on their quotes in today's Republic. Tippett, Doan, and Upshall all seemed to notice and admit that the third period effort was unacceptable. They seemed to think is was a learning experience more than anything. So hopefully even though we didn't get any points, we'll at least gain something positive from the game. Thanks again to AP, I had a blast!
You're welcome! I had a blast too! I even made it to work sober! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote