HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Canucks @ Flames l Gm.3 l Nucks 2-1 l Nucks Lead 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 11:23 PM
rye&ginger

vCash: 500
It was a boarding penalty. It wasnt a body check from behind, he gave him a shove so its hard to say there will be a suspension.

I thought it was selfish of Iginla to start fighting rather than try to help his team tie it up. Cant see Sutter liking that.

Great relief job by Hedberg. Put the actions behind your words from earlier in the year now and show you can be a #1.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
It was a boarding penalty. It wasnt a body check from behind, he gave him a shove so its hard to say there will be a suspension.

I thought it was selfish of Iginla to start fighting rather than try to help his team tie it up. Cant see Sutter liking that.

Great relief job by Hedberg. Put the actions behind your words from earlier in the year now and show you can be a #1.

The puck was in calgary's zone with 15 seconds when the fight started, the game wasn't much in doubt at that time, and Rucinsky may have scored depending on if he let up when hearing the whistle.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:26 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
And I better not hear Canucks fans complain about Minnesota (or any other team) sitting back and clogging up the neutral zone to protect a lead.
People complain when a team does that when the game is tied or the team is down. Every team protects leads, welcome to the NHL.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
Iginla didn't really do much, punching a guy in the chest isn't going to hurt him, but I certainly applaud Iginla's response to it.

That was a bad hit by Ohlund and should have been called for a penalty. I do not think its suspension bad, but certainly a call.

Two thumbs up for Iginla to respond the way he was taught to, and not spear or hack at Ohlund. Dumb for Iginla though to take himself out of the last 15 seconds of a 1 goal game, though.
Iginla got him pretty good with a couple uncontensted shots. Ohlund hung on for dear life and had a cut on his face after the bout (not sure if he had the cut previously).

Personally I think Iginla fighting was more effective than 15 seconds more of him. There was realistically no chance that the Flames were going to score a goal, and by fighting Iginla may have lit a fire under his team to come out flying Game 4. Its going to be a great series.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
I really hated the reffing in this game. They went from calling everything to nothing, then called one penalty at a crucial junction, this over-officiating is really starting to annoy me.

And I better not hear Canucks fans complain about Minnesota (or any other team) sitting back and clogging up the neutral zone to protect a lead.
If you can't beat them, join them. When you don't have Bertuzzi, you're starting goalie, you're on the road, and the team you are playing can't score much, that's what you do.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:31 PM
struckmatch

There won't be a suspension. If the NHL suspends Ohlund for that, they are basically stating the referee was wrong in not making the call, and god forbid the NHL question their refs decisions.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface
No, but I believe Bertuzzi does though.
Go shake your pom-pom at the Pepsi Center.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:35 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
At least Iginla didn't go and break Ohlund's neck.
Atleast Simon didn't call him a racial slur... stop bringing up the past. It means nothing.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:36 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Tell your friends about the Canucks winning one series in what 10 years?
You mean since 1995, when the NHL started?

Old
04-11-2004, 11:36 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Tell your friends about the Canucks winning one series in what 10 years?

Ease up there, mostlikelyagloryhunter. Sorry if you are a Nord, but its shot for shot.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
You're a Malik fan? I didn't think that goof had any fans.
yeah, the goof that was a league leading +35. :lol

Just because Malik is not an elite player in this league and is different looking he can't have fans? I love you're logic

Old
04-11-2004, 11:41 PM
lux_interior

From the replay it looked like an adductor strain (or a groin pull) for Cloutier. But the Canucks will never release that information. Those can take awhile to heal. Good thing for the Canucks that Hedberg looked pretty good in this game.

Brutal hit by Ohlund on Iginla. I too am surprised no penalty called.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:44 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
You're a Malik fan? I didn't think that goof had any fans.
Ouch

Old
04-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
He's still a goof. So he's a good d man because he had a + season? Don't read too much into that buddy. I hear lots of Canuck fans dissing your hero Malik.
So explain why the Canucks have one of the best defensive cores in the league, not to mention one of the top PK's, which Malik plays big minutes on?

He's a good 4/5th defenseman. He has his faults like every defenseman, but he fits into our defense just fine thanks.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:51 PM
rye&ginger

Malik isnt an all star so Ghostface wouldnt consider him a good player. That much is obvious from the attitude displayed in his posts. I also wonder why he supports the Avs rather than a Canadian team? former Nords fan? hmmm

Old
04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Iginla got him pretty good with a couple uncontensted shots. Ohlund hung on for dear life and had a cut on his face after the bout (not sure if he had the cut previously).

Personally I think Iginla fighting was more effective than 15 seconds more of him. There was realistically no chance that the Flames were going to score a goal, and by fighting Iginla may have lit a fire under his team to come out flying Game 4. Its going to be a great series.
Really? Hm, I'll have to go back and watch it again. I honestly just thought that Iginla hit him witha few body shots, and not much else. I did think that Iginla certainly 'won' the fight, but I didn't think that the win was much of a win. I'll take a look at it again for sure.

I thought about the hit a little more, and maybe the NHL needs to start suspending for hits like that...because stuff like that hurts players, not fighting (for the most part).

I think the Flames were coming out flying in game four no matter what, but you are right, there probably wasn't a huge chance of a tying goal, so perhaps it was the right thing to do, in some way. We shall see on Tuesday I suppose.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:11 AM
ArtG

Quote:
My favorite player is Foote. I've been a fan of him ever since he played in the O.
Wow that goof has fans?

Old
04-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Absolutely disgusting. The crowd cheers as Cloutier is injured. No Class.

Come back to Flames fans and talk about class after one of the Flames' breaks someone's neck, ok?

Old
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Cactus Jack

Calgary looked extremely disorganized on the attack in the later half of the game. And it didn't help that Conroy and Lydman missed big chunks of the game too.

When they kept dumping the puck in Hedburg was always there to negate any forecheck Calgary had going for themselves. Also, that really was a dirty hit by Ohlund, but I love that Iginla took care of that the right way. Step up to him face to face and deal with it. I agree with the person that said this could start a fire under them for game 4.

Well, now it's back to the drawing board. Sutter better readjust the troops after this one.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
Come back to Flames fans and talk about class after one of the Flames' breaks someone's neck, ok?
now you know what us Canucks fans feel like when everybody stereotypes us because of a few drunken fans did something. I've seen it way too many times on this board, it drives me nuts. The few fans who booed Cloutier and May do not represent the fans of Calgary, I think most of Flames fans are classy and good fans.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
now you know what us Canucks fans feel like when everybody stereotypes us because of a few drunken fans did something. I've seen it way too many times on this board, it drives me nuts. The few fans who booed Cloutier and May do not represent the fans of Calgary, I think most of Flames fans are classy and good fans.
Thank you for that assessment. That was honest. I was at the game, and the 'whole crowd' wasn't cheering when Cloutier went down. Some people were, but the majority of the fans in most cities are classy.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:23 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
That Ohlund Check on Iginla is Suspension Worthy.

that was incredibly Dangerous
What was the expression? "Welcome to playoff hockey"? This coming from the guy who was praising Hatcher for whacking Stevenson's knee with his stick a few days ago.

Just wondering how many of the people calling for Ohlund's head saw Gauthier put an *identical* hit on Jovanovski in Game 2? Same play, again no call. If anything blame the refs for calling all manners of ticky-tacky obstruction calls then turning a blind eye when a guy gets drilled from behind.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:30 AM
wcoast_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
If that's the best that you can do to insult us, well, nice to know you have the creative abilities of a 13 year old.

Seriously - time to put the Bertuzzi incident to rest.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:32 AM
maruk14

the word 'class' has to be the most overused one on these boards ... 'blank fans have no class' ... give it a rest already ...

Last edited by GKJ: 04-12-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old
04-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoast_girl
If that's the best that you can do to insult us, well, nice to know you have the creative abilities of a 13 year old.

Seriously - time to put the Bertuzzi incident to rest.

Oh, excuse me. Your post really had witty banter and well thoughout commentary as well.

Closed Thread