HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-Game 3: Islanders vs Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 07:35 PM
rabi_sultan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Pre-Game 3: Islanders vs Lightning

six goals, two shutouts wow can they keep it up when they head back to Long Island?

Old
04-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
six goals, two shutouts wow can they keep it up when they head back to Long Island?
Lightning are going down and quickly! St. Louis can't do anything and Super Star( ) Lecavalier has a wopping 0 points and is -1 in 2 games. I think you will see St. Louis play better and hopefully see Vinny Benched or scratched, when your playing like he does, you would think your watching practice or the pre-season. Its unbelievable the terrible effort being given in the biggest games of the year, not to mention trying to play soccer with the puck! :lol

Old
04-11-2004, 09:03 AM
CREW99AW

A Bolts poster on fanhome says Anderchuk(sp),held a players only meeting after game 2.

I expect TB will come out with the same energy in the first 10 mins of game 3 that they did in game 1.Isles will have to hold them off and let things settle down.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I expect TB will come out with the same energy in the first 10 mins of game 3 that they did in game 1. Isles will have to hold them off and let things settle down.
I agree. I hope all the enthusiasm of the home crowd doesn't get the Isles too juiced up and running around. They need to continue the tight checking, defensive and counter attack style of play that they can win rather then getting into a back and forth shooting match early.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:22 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Tampa has to bring the puck into the zone instead of dumping. DiPietro is already one of the best in the league at breaking up the dump and chase.

I think Tampa will get their act together.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Tampa has been trying to carry the puck into the zone. There problem isn't that necessarily. It's been all the turnovers and easy clears the Isles have been getting. Tampa players are losing sight of the puck, falling over themselves, and my beloved Isles are whacking them on the legs and they are falling rather easily. Tampa's skaters need to stop falling down over the littlest tap on the legs. It has costed them a great deal of giveaways... IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE. Once you get the puck there, you don't give it up by diving or simply poor reckless skating that leaves you off balance (which is it, who cares, general point made).

On the Isles end, Janne Niinimaa needs to continue his fantastic play. He was inconsistent during the regular season with moving the puck around, but so far in the playoffs his puck-moving skills have been top-notch; he makes the simple pass out of the zone, keeps the puck pinned in the offensive zone, pushes the puck out of the defensive zone for the clear, has been avoiding the lazy icing he was prone to in the regular season... Really good effort by Niinimaa so far. I think the play ouf the other 3 in our Big 4 is almost a given that they will show-up. Hopefully Niinimaa won't disappear -at all- in these playoffs.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Rschmitz

The only mistake the Lightning made in game 2 was not burying their odd man rushes and breakaways. With the style NYI brings, the nuetral zone is going to be clogged and its going to be hard to cross the blue line. Finish the chances, and watch as the ice magically opens up.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Lightning are going down and quickly! St. Louis can't do anything and Super Star( ) Lecavalier has a wopping 0 points and is -1 in 2 games. I think you will see St. Louis play better and hopefully see Vinny Benched or scratched, when your playing like he does, you would think your watching practice or the pre-season. Its unbelievable the terrible effort being given in the biggest games of the year, not to mention trying to play soccer with the puck! :lol
Vinny benched or scratched? Thats about the dumbest thing I've seen. If the Lightning are going to win the series hes going to have to step up. Thats not going to happen in the press box or on the bench. He played better yesterday than he did Thursday but still not up to his top game.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
It seems like whenever Tampa wants to carry the puck over the blue line, the Isles hold fort against the line and force them to dump it. This gives The Rick a chance to take it and get it out of there. But when Tampa tries to dump it a)They dump it in too hard off another part of the boards which allow the Isles D-men to get it or b)The Rick gets the puck anyways and dumps it. It's gonna be a pretty damn fun atmosphere at the Coliseum and it should be a great game.

Old
04-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Lightning are going down and quickly! St. Louis can't do anything and Super Star( ) Lecavalier has a wopping 0 points and is -1 in 2 games. I think you will see St. Louis play better and hopefully see Vinny Benched or scratched, when your playing like he does, you would think your watching practice or the pre-season. Its unbelievable the terrible effort being given in the biggest games of the year, not to mention trying to play soccer with the puck!
He's NOT going to get benched. With the spotlight more on St. Louis than on him, Vincent really needs to put the pressure on himself to score, but no one's going to scrutinize him as closely as Marty's being scrutinized right now. Vincent needs to work through these things to improve as a player, and that's NOT going to happen in the press box.

He was trying to center the puck, not play soccer.

If it makes you feel any better, some guy behind me was yelling smack about Vinny through the whole game, so you're not the only one who's frustrated with him.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
He's NOT going to get benched. With the spotlight more on St. Louis than on him, Vincent really needs to put the pressure on himself to score, but no one's going to scrutinize him as closely as Marty's being scrutinized right now. Vincent needs to work through these things to improve as a player, and that's NOT going to happen in the press box.

He was trying to center the puck, not play soccer.

If it makes you feel any better, some guy behind me was yelling smack about Vinny through the whole game, so you're not the only one who's frustrated with him.
was this guy behind you a lightning fan?

Old
04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
Tampa has to bring the puck into the zone instead of dumping. DiPietro is already one of the best in the league at breaking up the dump and chase.
Dipietro hasn't been the problem. The Isles are really pressuring the puck carrier and forcing the Lightning's timing off coming through the neutral zone... that and St. Louis is getting horse collared every time up the ice.

Lightning were beating the Islanders in the neutral zone with the quick pass leading to the breakway (4 in game two), but haven't been able to finish to save their lives.

If they finish those chances the Isles will be forced to reevaluate what they're doing in the neutral zone to slow the Lightning from getting in and getting their forecheck going.

-Pete Choquette

Old
04-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
was this guy behind you a lightning fan?
Yup, didn't have any Isles fans anywhere near me that I could see.

Closed Thread