HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Greg deVries

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 07:48 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Greg deVries

Somebody want to tell me why this guy is supposed to be better than Rachunek? Rachunek could actually make a breakout pass.

Old
04-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Somebody want to tell me why this guy is supposed to be better than Rachunek? Rachunek could actually make a breakout pass.
He's brutal. I want him scratched over Leschyshyn at this point. He can't skate, he can't pass, he seems to have no hockey sense. I'd almost rather Shane Hnidy. Rachunek would certainly be better, although Pothier is playing fantastic hockey with the opportunity.

Old
04-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Spezza

I think your being harsh on deVries. I agree he doesn't have the same foot speed of the rest of the d-corps. But he does make reasonably intelligent pinches. Can anyone recall off hand any chances that he gave up.

Old
04-10-2004, 08:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I think your being harsh on deVries. I agree he doesn't have the same foot speed of the rest of the d-corps. But he does make reasonably intelligent pinches. Can anyone recall off hand any chances that he gave up.
Rachunek was fine at pinching in. deVries is awful at just shooting it up the boards or making a breakout pass. I would much rather see Leschyschyn get his shot.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:07 PM
leafaholix*

He looked pretty decent out there.

I'd definately take him over Rachunek.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Frank Finnigan

I don't know, I've seen Pothier give away the puck or fail to clear the zone a few too many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
He's brutal. I want him scratched over Leschyshyn at this point. He can't skate, he can't pass, he seems to have no hockey sense. I'd almost rather Shane Hnidy. Rachunek would certainly be better, although Pothier is playing fantastic hockey with the opportunity.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

I've been surprised by de Vries's play. I had expected better positioning and more intelligent play. Not complaining - wish he continues this way a bit longer.

But Chara is a beast. What a steal. Chara and Spezza (where is he?) for worthless Yashin. Good decision to take him over pilon Cairns.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Chandler55

Where's lesychsen? He's awesome, a vetern, and I believe the only Senator to have a cup ring. He should be in the lineup over Pothier.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Spezza

The guy who is the topic of this thread also has a cup ring.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:52 PM
WildWestSen

I want to see Leschyshyn in for game 3 in his place.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:08 AM
o-dog

De Vries looked really lazy on a few plays. Nothing that cost us, but could have and their was no excuse, just him dogging it..

Old
04-11-2004, 09:13 AM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I agree with you on this one. There has been people *****ing about him since we got him and people will continue to till he is gone. It seems that there always has to be someone on this team to complain about. Pothier has made far and away more costly mistakes than de Vries but I see noboby making a post about his shaky play (I don't know how many times when we have been short-handed has he had the chance to go glass and out and he choses not to, game 1 it cost us a goal). de Vries has a cup and alot of experience, you don't take him out of the line-up (plus he gets bonus points for manhandling Fitzgerald lastnight at the end, he had him jerseyed in about 2.3 seconds).

His "costly pinches" have yet to cost us a goal, the same can't be said for Redds, do you take him out? No.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Lexicon Devil

re

De Vries was horrible in game 1 but better in game 2. I wouldn't mind if Leschyshyn replaced either him or Volchenkov for game 3.

And Redden's pinch did not cost us a goal, it was defensively responsible Todd White with the horrible pass to no one in the slot.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:36 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
I agree with you on this one. There has been people *****ing about him since we got him and people will continue to till he is gone. It seems that there always has to be someone on this team to complain about. Pothier has made far and away more costly mistakes than de Vries but I see noboby making a post about his shaky play (I don't know how many times when we have been short-handed has he had the chance to go glass and out and he choses not to, game 1 it cost us a goal). de Vries has a cup and alot of experience, you don't take him out of the line-up (plus he gets bonus points for manhandling Fitzgerald lastnight at the end, he had him jerseyed in about 2.3 seconds).

His "costly pinches" have yet to cost us a goal, the same can't be said for Redds, do you take him out? No.

If people are looking for a lot of big plays out of de Vries don't be surprised when they don't happen. He's as much a character guy and a steady defensive player as anything. Sensfan is right. de Vries is the guy at the end who started the scrappiness, at least on Ottawa. A face wash to Fitzgerald and then a couple of shoves and everything developed from there. You would never see Rachunek do that.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:05 PM
SENSational

Wow, what the hell are you people saying?

Rachunek over deVries? Rachunek gave the puck a lot more than deVries has since coming here. Sure deVries isn't at the same skill level as Chara or Redden or even Phillips, but he's steady defencemen that when he does give the puck away, it's not at a crucial area on the ice like right in front of the goalie.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:52 PM
gbl1p

I like what deVries adds in terms of character on the ice. He's not at all shy to throw his weight and muck it up. He was smart in rushing the puck a few times up ice during game 2, and had it not been for an unbelievable toe save by the Eagle deVries would have buried one. That goal would have turned the tide, IMO. Who knows what the complexion of the game could have been had we just got one in on Eddie. Look what happened game 1 when we got that early fluky one. I digress... In short, I think deVries adds far more playoff spice than Rachunek ever dreamed of. I like how Pothier has stepped up and shown glimps of Rachuneks puck movement abilities, but of course he's subject to major booboos.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
And Redden's pinch did not cost us a goal, it was defensively responsible Todd White with the horrible pass to no one in the slot.
That is very true, that pass was absolutely horrible. However, Redden was pinching and got caught behind the net. I in no-way blame Redds for the goal, I was just trying to say that de Vries "terrible pinches" have not cost us anything (his pinches are just like Redden's, a part of the game). I remember when we were down 2 late lastnight, he generated a great pinch where he got 2 whacks and just could not burry it.

If you are going to take anyone out for Curtis L., it should be Pothier, he has made the most mistakes thus far. However, I'm of the opinion that we should stick with the ship (add Spezza).

Old
04-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Lexicon Devil

Pothier has made the most mistakes out of the bottom-3 because he has played the most, and has played a lot more against Toronto's top lines.

My criticism of De Vries has nothing to do with supposedly bad pinches. I was actually surprised by his offensive game. Its his transition game that has been quite poor. But, as I mentioned, it wasn't as bad in game 2.

I won't bother commenting about Rachunek, because there's nothing we can do about that now.

Closed Thread