HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glove-side high on Lundqvist

Old
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

vCash: 500
Glove-side high on Lundqvist

Does anyone else besides me notice Henrik frequently lets in goals that are high on his glove hand, it seems that is a pretty bad weak spot for him.

I understand the last goal against the Habs had some bad backchecking and defensive play but then you got caps game 7, and numerous other situations where that glove side high goal is what cost us the game. I noticed it being a persistent thing earlier on but figured maybe it would be worked on with Allaire in the off-season.

This season I haven't seen him routinely make nice saves glove side high and I'm worried it will be his achilles heel when other shooters in the league take notice.

So I ask again, am I crazy or is this a problem that we should be concerned with?

edit: not nitpicking here, Henrik is one of our best performers and my favorite, but its been bugging me and wanted some opinions.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
levski87

It's a hard shot to stop by many goalies, Henrik is no exception.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Does anyone else besides me notice Henrik frequently lets in goals that are high on his glove hand, it seems that is a pretty bad weak spot for him.

I understand the last goal against the Habs had some bad backchecking and defensive play but then you got caps game 7, and numerous other situations where that glove side high goal is what cost us the game. I noticed it being a persistent thing earlier on but figured maybe it would be worked on with Allaire in the off-season.

This season I haven't seen him routinely make nice saves glove side high and I'm worried it will be his achilles heel when other shooters in the league take notice.

So I ask again, am I crazy or is this a problem that we should be concerned with?

edit: not nitpicking here, Henrik is one of our best performers and my favorite, but its been bugging me and wanted some opinions.
Shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone. We wouldn't want other teams to figure this out.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
savebyrichter35

IMO the high glove side weakness is overblown a bit...its basically a weakness of every goalie...it just seems more obvious with hank because he plays deep in his net

Last edited by savebyrichter35: 10-25-2009 at 10:33 PM.
savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Yeh he is a bit weak with that and deflections but he is so good otherwise we are 100 percent lucky to have him starting. But you are correct in your observation.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot
Yeh he is a bit weak with that and deflections but he is so good otherwise we are 100 percent lucky to have him starting. But you are correct in your observation.
Yeah deflections too, but deflections are nearly impossible to stop in most situations for any goalie. I only mention the high glove because I've seen some other goaltenders make the save where Henrik frequently doesn't. If it's a pretty common problem across the board and I only see the Rangers side of it, then I guess I shouldn't get too hung up on it then.

Old
10-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
IMO the high glove side weakness is overblown a bit...its basically a weakness of every goalie
I have to agree. High glove side, and stick side, is a weakness to all goalies whether it's a minor of major one, in my opinion.

As for Lundqvist, he plays mostly in a butterfly style, so obviously high glove is going to be some sort of a problem. Nothing too major.

We shouldn't be complaining about one flaw about our goalie who has carried us to the playoffs the past two seasons.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:40 PM
broadwayblue

Same thread every year? Did you ever stop to think that goalies get scored on? Hank's glove is fine...nobody is going to stop a perfectly placed shot in the top corner every time.

So yes, you are crazy.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Alright, well thanks for the feedback. Like I said I didn't want to sound as if I was nitpicking on our franchise player it was just a thought.

Glad to know it's more common than I thought.

Old
10-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Don't worry OP - some people use half of their posts for useless trolling to make themselves feel better. Whats wrong with making a fair observation?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
McMonster

It was defintiely worse last year... kind of improved since then. Still though, that is his main weakness and shooters know this too.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:56 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
It was defintiely worse last year... kind of improved since then. Still though, that is his main weakness and shooters know this too.
He has a softer glove this year, says he feels a lot more comfortable with his glove hand.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:30 PM
NY Ranger86

BleedsBlueForNYR.

I apologize for my sarcasm/mocking comment, but to me... his high glove problem is SO obvious. Not only is his high glove hand weak this season... its BEEN weak.

However, over the shoulder glove high is most goalies weak spot... the King especially battles with this.

For years now its been this way... no secret.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:58 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Bro first off it is a valid point I have been making for 2 years. This board is made up of very opinionated thick sculled Hank Lovers don't rock the boat or the Hank Zombies will get u
Haters gotta hate. Not much else to say. Just because everyone but you is a fan of Henrik and are realistic in expectations of performance does not mean you have to spew your nonsense.

Everyone knows that if Henrik has a flaw its his high glove. Its pretty common knowledge to most fans who regularly watch the games.

And you are the opinionated one by the way.

How was his glove on this play?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
No-one is wrong who thinks that Henke's glove hand is his weakness, but it always has been. It's what you're going to have to live with. The flip-side to that is that there are few if any other goalies who totally take away the rest of the net as well as Lundqvist. Actually, I think he's made a significant improvement by FINALLY using a flexible glove this season so he can hold on to the puck.

News flash: Henrik does not have the best glove hand in the NHL.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I think we win more games because of hanks brilliance in net than we lose because of his one weakness. I guess we seem to forget that he's human... yes? no?

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Olympic nut

Actually, Henke's "weakness" is so well-known that it's overblown. His glove hand is average at best, but not bad, and that is well known around the NHL. I've seen plenty of games where the opposing team spends so much time trying to direct their shots high on Henke's glove side, that they miss plenty of opportunities just to get the puck on net, to the Rangers' advantage.

Henke also is actually able to pull off a nice glove save (shock!), so even when those teams do shoot that way, it's not a guaranteed goal.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:00 AM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post

i was wonderin how allaire didnt fix that glove high problem and hank goin down early on shots ... hes had a long time.but a lot of goalies are like that. hopefully it can be solved soon if possible.

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabevh3 View Post
i was wonderin how allaire didnt fix that glove high problem and hank goin down early on shots ... hes had a long time.but a lot of goalies are like that. hopefully it can be solved soon if possible.
Allaire has totally changed the way Henke plays for the NHL. From what I recall, when he played in Sweden, he was very agressive and came way out of his net. Allaire recognized that for Henke to succeed in the NHL, he needed to stay deep. Henke's legs are so quick that he can go down, take away the entire bottom of the net and force shooters to go high, which is a lower-percentage shot.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:20 AM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Haters gotta hate. Not much else to say. Just because everyone but you is a fan of Henrik and are realistic in expectations of performance does not mean you have to spew your nonsense.

Everyone knows that if Henrik has a flaw its his high glove. Its pretty common knowledge to most fans who regularly watch the games.

And you are the opinionated one by the way.

How was his glove on this play?
1st time i see vs happy for the rangers and on our side.. was this also on msg? i dont recall it on vs

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:25 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
IMO the high glove side weakness is overblown a bit...its basically a weakness of every goalie...it just seems more obvious with hank because he plays deep in his net
and butterfly goalies all have this weakness. It's like the weak part of the armor or that small port in the Death Star. Hank has been up more this year though. Henke is fine, he just needs to keep playing more hybrid. Over the years he's been doing that. One big help would be some better D. He had no chance on the first 4 goals. Great shooters will beat any goalie when they are left out in the cold.

Last edited by BKBlackRanger: 10-26-2009 at 01:30 AM.
BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if you protect the bottom, you are vulnerable up high.

if you protect up high, you are vulnerable down low.

Henrik is spectacular down low, and side to side. his one vulnerable area is up high on either side. that is how ALL butterfly goalies are.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Levitate

Most of the time when a goalie makes a flashy glove save, the save was actually made no higher than shoulder height (then they flip their glove up to showboat and make it seem like they plucked one out of the air that way way above them)

If a goalie carries his glove high enough to make top corner glove saves easily, he's exposing a whole lot of net underneath that arm

The difference is probably that playing a little further out, goalies are able to make that save down lower before the shot has a chance to rise all the way up to the top corner. Lundqvist plays a little deeper which gives the shot time to get up higher

Or so my reasoning goes

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

They've been talking about the high glove thing for a couple years now. It's because he stops everything else. Goals gotta go in against him somehow.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
ZacUSNYR

This team can go to complete hell and have a Maple leafs like losing streak and the last person i'd blame would be Henrik.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote