HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glove-side high on Lundqvist

Old
10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
as hard as it is to believe, there are some goalies who are much worse at handling the puck than Lundqvist
that are considered "elite" goaltenders? I dont think fans of top 5 goalies in other cities cringe when thier goalie leaves the crease as much as ranger fans do. Imagine if someone could teach him how to move the puck? what a big help it would be for our defense if they could get a little help handling dump ins and moving the puck out of the zone. Well, cant have it all i suppose.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
gluvhand

Maybe he was wearing his catching glove instead of his driving glove when he had his accident this morning.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
that are considered "elite" goaltenders? I dont think fans of top 5 goalies in other cities cringe when thier goalie leaves the crease as much as ranger fans do. Imagine if someone could teach him how to move the puck? what a big help it would be for our defense if they could get a little help handling dump ins and moving the puck out of the zone. Well, cant have it all i suppose.
Yes, them too. Most goalies can't move the puck for ****. Only Brodeur, Turco, Smith, and DiPietro are really good at it that I can think of off hand, and Brodeur is the only "elite" goaltender out of those guys

It's not a necessary skill for a goalie, it's just a bonus. Fleury is horrendous at it. Lundqvist usually doesn't do much, he just occasionally waits too long to move the puck. To be honest I don't panic when he goes to play the puck because he doesn't really try to do much with it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Goalies handling the puck is a plus but not a requirement in order for them to be good. It really isn't their job to make plays with the puck unless say its a 5-on-3 and you're getting it back up the ice real quick from a clear.

Since Brodeur started to play as a 3rd defenseman, people's idea of how a goalie should puck handle changed a lot to mirror him but just because fatso does it doesn't mean all goalies should (or could).

I too get nervous when I see goalies leave the paint because you never know what's gonna happen in those short few seconds. The Avery goal against Atlanta a few years back when a puck caromed off the boards (from a dump at the red line) into the net comes to mind. That was just bad luck for the goalie.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 03:20 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
as hard as it is to believe, there are some goalies who are much worse at handling the puck than Lundqvist

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote