HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/26/09 NY Islanders @ Montreal 730PM RDS/MSG+

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
he "dont touch a winning lineup" dosent hold too much water when at the beginning of the season Martin annointed Price his Starter.

What happened when Price won 2 games on his own and they put Halak in? Where was the winning lineup mantra then?

11 games in, Price has 6 starts, Halak 5.

I just find it a bit shocking.
Whatever it's his decision but I think the Islanders would have been a great opportunity for Price to regain his confidence back.Anyways I'm even more surprised Halak didn't get pulled after the 1st the other night,had it been Price they would have started booing him.Anyways wonder how Gainey feels.....

Old
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
he "dont touch a winning lineup" dosent hold too much water when at the beginning of the season Martin annointed Price his Starter.

What happened when Price won 2 games on his own and they put Halak in? Where was the winning lineup mantra then?

11 games in, Price has 6 starts, Halak 5.

I just find it a bit shocking.
Well, if you watch their practice.. Price gets on ur nerve.. Halak act like he's in a game and is trying to stop the puck, while price just stands there barely moving..

Old
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hard to argue with Halak but I can't help but think giving Price one of these games against the Isles to build up his confidence would've been smarter. I would rather have two confident goalies playing well than one.

Now I can just see Price getting the start at home vs. the Leafs and giving them their first W of the year...

Old
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Can the Habs win without Mark.... I mean Metro?
Moses has the flu bug.

He might still play tonight.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was sure Martin would have came back with Price,would have been great for his confidence especially with a tough week ahead,anyways can't change much of a winning lineup.
All this talk about poor Carey's confidence as if his confidence was made of egg shells and havng to feed him easy wins doesn't sound like a #1 goalie to me. Halak has come in cold against very good teams and stole the show in the past. Why can't we expect the same from our "#1" goalie? Halak wasn't perfect but he played well enough and for some reason the team plays better infront of him. For the first time in his career he has a coach who looks like he is willing to give him an honest shot to prove what he can do. The kid will be great someday but right now getting the W is more important and I'm glad that JM is coming into this without predjudice.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Whatever it's his decision but I think the Islanders would have been a great opportunity for Price to regain his confidence back.Anyways I'm even more surprised Halak didn't get pulled after the 1st the other night,had it been Price they would have started booing him.Anyways wonder how Gainey feels.....
**** that! Right now, I couldn't careless about Price's confidence, I want wins and Halak has been in nets the last 3 games which coincidently have all been wins. There's 72 games left this year, Price has more than enough time to build his confidence back.

Old
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hard to argue with Halak but I can't help but think giving Price one of these games against the Isles to build up his confidence would've been smarter. I would rather have two confident goalies playing well than one.

Now I can just see Price getting the start at home vs. the Leafs and giving them their first W of the year...
Hypothetical scenario...

Price is in tonight, and loses to the Islanders? How do you think the crowd would react? How would it help Price's confidence get any higher?

The kid has to wait and keep on making big efforts.

He had all but a guaranteed #1 spot last year. In the last 9 months, he did every single possible thing to lose it. He's got to gain it again. And it's perfect.

Old
Marksman

Game plan: Jaroslav Halak = WIN.

(Saying this, I have Price on my pool team.)

Old
10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
overlords
Hfboards

With halak starting tonight... I really can't see carey getting a start for a few games now. Do you really think JM will put Price in his first start in 5 matches against the pens? And that's even assuming halak loses. If he wins tonight against the Islanders, why go to a cold goalie for one of the best teams in the league when you have a starter who has won 5 in a row?

Old
10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Darz

With 4 games in 7 nights, both goalies will get their share of work this week.

No worries.

I would assume the Islanders will come out of the gates with something to prove. If we can get an early one on them, this game might be another semi-blowout..3/4 goal win, but if the Islanders get the first one, I think it will be a close one.

10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
All this talk about poor Carey's confidence as if his confidence was made of egg shells and havng to feed him easy wins doesn't sound like a #1 goalie to me. Halak has come in cold against very good teams and stole the show in the past. Why can't we expect the same from our "#1" goalie? Halak wasn't perfect but he played well enough and for some reason the team plays better infront of him. For the first time in his career he has a coach who looks like he is willing to give him an honest shot to prove what he can do. The kid will be great someday but right now getting the W is more important and I'm glad that JM is coming into this without predjudice.
He'd need more than 1.5 goals for per game and a disaster called defensive play.

Halak has played well in 2 of the 3 past games, but only once was he a big part of the end result.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Showcasing Halak.
thats stupid there is no way we trade halak right now

Old
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
la25ecoupe

Price will play vs Pens. vs Hawks. Then Halah vs Laughs.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Hypothetical scenario...

Price is in tonight, and loses to the Islanders? How do you think the crowd would react? How would it help Price's confidence get any higher?

The kid has to wait and keep on making big efforts.

He had all but a guaranteed #1 spot last year. In the last 9 months, he did every single possible thing to lose it. He's got to gain it again. And it's perfect.
It would at least confirm that Halak should be the go-to guy from now on. Let's not kid ourselves, Halak hasn't set the world on fire the past 3 games. He's been good, but the team in front of him has been better. If the team was scoring 5 goals a game when Price was in nets we wouldn't have to be talking about rebuilding his confidence.

But I have nothing against Halak. You can't argue with wins and so far he's been getting them. But like I said, I would rather try and get 2 goalies playing well and with confidence than just 1. But that's me, I'm no coach.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
With halak starting tonight... I really can't see carey getting a start for a few games now. Do you really think JM will put Price in his first start in 5 matches against the pens? And that's even assuming halak loses. If he wins tonight against the Islanders, why go to a cold goalie for one of the best teams in the league when you have a starter who has won 5 in a row?
LOL... Do you think Price is that fragile? I would think that Price would want to play in those tough games. I don't really know where all this stuff about Price having no confidence is coming from. Hockey is a team sport. The team is winning right now. If Price has the right attitude, he is cheering on his boys to win and waiting for his chance to help out. As stated earlier, the only controversy that might come of this will be fan-induced.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
BeBen*

Hahahaha Moen sweet pic but you'll have to say

Guess who's back....not me

AK46 on the fourth line

Old
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Captain Saku

If Metro can play tonight, scratch Stewart, put Metro between Lapierre and Moen and then put Chipchura between Pacioretty and A.Kost. It would be a good lineup IMP.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
RE-HABS

Four in a row for Halak, I'm not one to say there is a goaltending conterversy...but you have to think the media is going to be all over this!

Old
10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Dark4ng3l

let metro sit this one out I don't want him to be questionable for every single game the rest of the season.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Wow, I'm really surprised. I'm probably Halak's biggest fan on here (and as far as I know the only one to own a Halak jersey), but I probably would have gone with Price tonight to make sure he doesn't sit on the bench for too long.

I'm impressed though that Martin is willing to go with the guy he feels is performing better. This wasn't the case at the end of last season and in the playoffs and I think it's pretty refreshing.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not that I doubt putting a goalie who hasn't seen action in a while against a top team isn't a great idea, but Price has always been good against the Pens.

But I still don't understand why he's not playing tonight. Maybe Martin feels that if we lose Price will be blamed and booed and that it would be wiser to start him on the road.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It would at least confirm that Halak should be the go-to guy from now on. Let's not kid ourselves, Halak hasn't set the world on fire the past 3 games. He's been good, but the team in front of him has been better. If the team was scoring 5 goals a game when Price was in nets we wouldn't have to be talking about rebuilding his confidence.

But I have nothing against Halak. You can't argue with wins and so far he's been getting them. But like I said, I would rather try and get 2 goalies playing well and with confidence than just 1. But that's me, I'm no coach.
I disagree on a certain extent...

While Halak hasn't made many highlight-reel saves, he always made THAT ONE tough save when we needed him to.

Often Price has let it that type of goal in his last few games, the type of goal you can't really blame him for, but that any good #1 goalie has to stop.

Halak did those.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
odishabs

OP

- cAMMY - gOMER -GIO
- lATS - pLEKS - Dags
- Moen - Lpierre

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Not that I doubt putting a goalie who hasn't seen action in a while against a top team isn't a great idea, but Price has always been good against the Pens.

But I still don't understand why he's not playing tonight. Maybe Martin feels that if we lose Price will be blamed and booed and that it would be wiser to start him on the road.
Let me ask you, and all the other's asking this same question the following.

If Price had won the last 3 games and was starting tonight, would you all be questionning it? Or would you think it's logical to go with the hot hand?

Old
BeBen*

You guys are just surprised about the decision because we had Carbo as a coach for the last 2 seasons

He was the guy trying to give everyone a fair shot like it was a freaking Pee-wee team and you guys got use to it, so now you're surprised

About time someone stands up and do his job as coach and go with the hot hand

Closed Thread