HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik's 'game-changing' play

Old
10-26-2009, 09:02 AM
ontheDB

vCash: 500
Gaborik's 'game-changing' play

It may be my paranoia, but has anyone else noticed that Gaborik has not been playing as dynamically as he was in the first few games of the season ?

I haven't watched the last couple of games in full, but the first few games of the year, he was just game-changing: weaving into the offensive zone, attracting two defenders, and dumping to the open man. Smooth, effortless skating. Not afraid to go to the tough areas.

The last couple that I saw, not as much. Does more floating when he's without the puck. A little more straight-legged. Not as consistent back-checking. Doesn't attack as much when skating w/ the puck. Still has a killer wrist-shot though.
I mean, he had two chances to strip the puck from Cammerelli in that O.T. but didin't and Cammy ended up scoring.

So the paranoia is: maybe he's playing hurt ? Another groin issue.
I could just be unreasonable: can't expect him to be great for all 82 games (but at 7.5 mill, maybe we can); he's still producing point-wise. Has anyone heard or seen anything from practices etc ?

ontheDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Levitate

Stop being paranoid

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:18 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

This isn't NHL 10, he's not gonna score 4 goals a game.

He kills penalties beautifully by keeping the puck in the offensive zone and actually creating scoring chances (when was the last time a Ranger play did this?).

He brought us back against the Caps.

Opposing teams DO respect him and it shows, cause they're all over him like white on rice.

He's used his speed to get behind defenders, as shown with that breakaway goal last game.

The problem is not him, the problem is the team around him. Prospal with his stupid penalty, Dubinsky and his turn over, Staal and his indecisiveness, Higgins poor play are why this team lost its last game.

Not to mention, he has been putting up a lot of points, and is averaging over a PPG.

Of all the complaints to have with this team, Gaborik is a guy I can't complain about.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

First a thread about Lundqvist's weaknesses, and now a thread about Gaborik not being dynamic enough/injury concerns.

I fail to see the need for some fans to take shots at the two biggest reasons we are 7-3-1.

You want a real concern? How about Ryan Callahan? Hes been pretty bad outside of the Washington game. Oh, right, hes bulletproof for the most part.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
First a thread about Lundqvist's weaknesses, and now a thread about Gaborik not being dynamic enough/injury concerns.

I fail to see the need for some fans to take shots at the two biggest reasons we are 7-3-1.

You want a real concern? How about Ryan Callahan? Hes been pretty bad outside of the Washington game. Oh, right, hes bulletproof for the most part.
wait. why stop there.

callys been average lately
dubinsky has been, over the last 6 games, average at best
drurys been below average all season
higgins has been awful

i mean when aaron virus is playing ahead of you, you are not good.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Levitate

Gaborik plays this way, that's how he was in Minnesota, that's one "knock" on him. He's not always a "grab the puck and embarrass everyone on the other team" type of player (though he can do it from time to time as well), but he's definitely a guy who looks for his spots and gets in them either for a breakaway or good shot. He's not a Jagr who will completely dictate play the entire time he's on the ice

Old
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
js10

I think that is because first line Prospal- Dubinsky - Gaborik was clicking and now Dubinsky was replaced by Voros, which I do not like at all. Voros happens to make rookie mistakes and is not really conctributing that much to the whole line as Dubinky would.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
wait. why stop there.

callys been average lately
dubinsky has been, over the last 6 games, average at best
drurys been below average all season
higgins has been awful

i mean when aaron virus is playing ahead of you, you are not good.
I can't believe we were even in the running in the last couple of games.

Kinda wish we had Dawes back, watching him light it up for the Flames. I just hope Pruchs isn't going to make us eat dirt

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
I think that is because first line Prospal- Dubinsky - Gaborik was clicking and now Dubinsky was replaced by Voros, which I do not like at all. Voros happens to make rookie mistakes and is not really conctributing that much to the whole line as Dubinky would.
like it or not it has worked before and it may work again. Just look at the Oilers with Penner.

Park this big guy in front of the net and have the other guys run around him taking shots. What Dubinsky can do as Center Prospal can do too. I would probably put Avery on the first line in the long run.

I am all for it. Dubi needs to be rattled. Just because he was on the first line doesn't mean that he is a shoe in. This is the main reason why we got Torts. So let the coach do his work

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Levitate

What? Dubinsky was "replaced" on that line by Lisin, not Voros

Old
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
ZacUSNYR

I watched an "Off the Ice" rerun with Gaborik on NHL TV and he said he's more of a straight line attack the goal type of player, not into the whole weaving in and out type of play.

Gaborik has a great shot and a real good eye to create a play or finish one. He's a tremendous asset to this team. And compared to Gomez, i'll take Gaborik the way he has been playing

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
ThirdEye

I don't get the quotes over "game-changing". He's been factor in almost every single game thus far. He'll, he's on pace for freaking 112 points

If you're expecting him to score as much goals as he does and at the same time play like a Selke finalist, look elsewhere. He hasn't been that his entire career, it's not what he's known for, and it's not the reason the Rangers signed him. He's here to score goals and improve our offense, which he has done. If we still had Gomez you're probably looking at 3-4 less wins already

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM
SkerZ
LGR

A part of me wants that prosla dubi gabbo line back together I feel like prospal is not fast enough to center that line and dubi made it work once in the zone prospal was able to play like a center in the cycle and setup nice passes he just doesn't have that up ice speed...that being said Gabbo is fine our d has been the problem the dman has to step up on cammy on that play and gabbo could have takin the next man in

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
ontheDB

First of all, I am no way complaining/whining about Gaborik's play. Hopefully that puts to ease any people who think this is about being nitpicky.
Another thing to point out is: there is a difference b/w point production and gameplay. Obviously they is a high relation b/w the two, but there are aspects where it differs (look at Brendan Morrision this year, or Cheechoo in those crazy pt years).

But this is Marian Gaboirk. With his history with injuries (esp the groin), it's a high chance he'll have issues again this year. And the first thing noticable about gifted players playing w/ groin injuries (things i've noticed in previous years w/ zetterburg, havlat mostly) is that their defensive play is less aggressive.

Prime example is the Cammy game-winning goal. Someone said the D-man should've stepped up to stop him. I will agree with that. But Gaby had two chances to end the play: once when camm went around him in the neutral zone; and once in the defensive zone right before the shot. Both time, Gabby was a foot away from grabbing the puck...because his legs had stopped skating.

A mountain out of a molehill ? Probably...but w/ gabby, those injuries are gonna come up

Old
10-26-2009, 12:01 PM
NYR Viper

In the 4v4 you play man-to-man defense. The forwards have the defensemen and while it looked like he should have jumped there, double teaming a player like Cammelleri would have opened up a pass to someone else for a chance. Of course looking back even he would say he should have doubled him but that wasnt his man, his man was trailing the play, he ws blocking off that pass.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
ontheDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
In the 4v4 you play man-to-man defense. The forwards have the defensemen and while it looked like he should have jumped there, double teaming a player like Cammelleri would have opened up a pass to someone else for a chance. Of course looking back even he would say he should have doubled him but that wasnt his man, his man was trailing the play, he ws blocking off that pass.
I agree that you play man-to-man on 4v4...but that is true when a team has setup in the offensive zone. Not when Cammereli is skating through the neutral zone, and not when there's only two NYRs in the defensive zone...neither one of which are below the face-off dot. In this situation, the forward should slow down the attacking forward in the neutral zone; if he gets beat, he should pressure the attacking forward to either to the outside or below the faceoff dot (where the D picks him up and the forward picks up any trailers).
From the play, Cammereli made a great play cause he built up speed, but also cause Gabby's legs weren't moving.
Actually he should've just taken the body in the neutral zone, but i guess that's not really what he does.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gaborik, Jagr, etc, those kinds of superstar players dont play sound defensive hockey. That's not what the play. they will get burned out there occasionally, however Gaborik was at least sorta in the right position, even though he was coasting...

I have no problem with Gaboriks play, the guy has what...8 goals, 7 assists in 11 games? thats on pace for almost 60 goals this season....isn't that more than our 2 top goal scorers had all of last season....combined...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Gaborik, Jagr, etc, those kinds of superstar players dont play sound defensive hockey. That's not what the play. they will get burned out there occasionally, however Gaborik was at least sorta in the right position, even though he was coasting...
Seriously? You reliaze that he played in a defensive system in Minnny for 9 years & Playing defense is one of his strong suits, we heard all summerfrom Torts & Slats how he knows how to Gabs can play on both sides of the puck.

He has been lazy the past 3 games back checking & in the Netural zone.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Torts needs to be a little more careful with his "messages" going forward.

Playing a chronically injured Gaborik and a 34 year old Prospal for 50 minutes combined the other night isnt exactly going to fly all season long.

Perhaps exhaustion was a contributing factor on Cammallieri's game winner.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Seriously? You reliaze that he played in a defensive system in Minnny for 9 years & Playing defense is one of his strong suits, we heard all summerfrom Torts & Slats how he knows how to Gabs can play on both sides of the puck.

He has been lazy the past 3 games back checking & in the Netural zone.
Seriously, you realize in Minny they played a trap, so all he did was clog up the neutral zone along with everyone else, the second they touched the puck, he was gone into the offensive zone. If anything defensive awareness is MORE important in this system because of the strong back pressure that is needed because of the attack style we play. Think about it. Which is harder defensively, stay in the neutral zone, clog up that area, take the puck, and go attack. or, attack at will from different positions all over the ice, but skate your ass off trying to cover when the rush comes against you.

I'd argue its harder to play defense in an offensive system, than a defensive system, just like it's harder to play offense in a defensive system than in an offensive system.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Torts needs to be a little more careful with his "messages" going forward.

Playing a chronically injured Gaborik and a 34 year old Prospal for 50 minutes combined the other night isnt exactly going to fly all season long.

Perhaps exhaustion was a contributing factor on Cammallieri's game winner.
eh....didn't he play Brad Richards like 28-30 minutes a night in Tampa? Granted Richards was like 24 or something then, but still...i dont think 22-24 minutes is asking all that much.

I agree with torts, you play your best players as much as possible.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Levitate

Err, yeah, defense has never been a "strong suite" for Gaborik. He's not terrible at it but if it was a "strong suite" he'd be winning Selkes like Datsyuk or something

Old
10-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Err, yeah, defense has never been a "strong suite" for Gaborik. He's not terrible at it but if it was a "strong suite" he'd be winning Selkes like Datsyuk or something
agreed. you can tell hes "aware" defensively...he's back, he's a body that is in the way, he gets in deep to help his forwards, but he also doesnt go balls to the wall backchecking like a maniac either. offensive players conserve their energy in the defensive zone, then explode for offensive zone attacks. Jagr hardly ever crossed his own blueline when he scored his 54 goals for us. he usually just waited near the red line for an outlet pass and did his thing. The fact that Gaborik is actually coming back into his own zone, even if its kinda half assed, is commendable. ESPECIALLY as a winger. Remember, this guy isn't a center, he's a winger....wingers are generally the last guy you point to in terms of blown coverage in the defensive zone.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

What bothered me about that play was not a lack of defensive awareness or ability, it was the lack of effort. As soon as he crossed our blueline coming back his feet stopped moving and he was "along for the ride" trying to stick check Cammy. I'm not expecting him to take another 2-3 steps and try to nail the guy, but if he keeps his feet moving he is in much better position to lift Cammy's stick and grab the puck.

That said, I honestly think for the most part Gabby has been pretty good defensively. He will make at least one good defensively play a game based on his speed alone. Overall I'm not complaining.

10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
What bothered me about that play was not a lack of defensive awareness or ability, it was the lack of effort. As soon as he crossed our blueline coming back his feet stopped moving and he was "along for the ride" trying to stick check Cammy. I'm not expecting him to take another 2-3 steps and try to nail the guy, but if he keeps his feet moving he is in much better position to lift Cammy's stick and grab the puck.

That said, I honestly think for the most part Gabby has been pretty good defensively. He will make at least one good defensively play a game based on his speed alone. Overall I'm not complaining.
well, you're right, he could have tried a bit harder...but from his point of view, there was a defenseman right there in his path, he WAS NOT the last line of defense, so he was trying to be more of a nuisance than playing defense. You'd liek to think 1 on 1, the defenseman will have it...meh