HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik's 'game-changing' play

Old
10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well, you're right, he could have tried a bit harder...but from his point of view, there was a defenseman right there in his path, he WAS NOT the last line of defense, so he was trying to be more of a nuisance than playing defense. You'd liek to think 1 on 1, the defenseman will have it...meh
I agree that Gilroy definitely should have stepped up. But when it's OT, a guys breaking in, and he is within reach enough for you to stick check him...you should take the extra step/half-step (and we know Gabby has it) to make sure you get the puck away.

Like I said earlier though it's one incident and overall he's been fine to good defensively.

10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Umm, Didn't Gaborik score a ridiculous, dynamic, game changing goal in Montreal on Saturday night? Not his fault the team completely fell apart after that.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
ontheDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Umm, Didn't Gaborik score a ridiculous, dynamic, game changing goal in Montreal on Saturday night? Not his fault the team completely fell apart after that.
Like I said before, I'm not pointing any fingers at Gabby for his 'lack of scoring etc'.
Simply saying:

Looks like he's playing hurt. He can still make plays like the one you mentioned, but overall, not so much.
Gave a few examples of why that may be.
Explained why these examples would be because of an injury rather than him just coasting.

Somebody did bring up a good point about how Torts likes to give hist star players a lot of playing time. Generally, it's a great idea. Gabby's great on the PP, PK and 5-on-5. But his injury history has got to factor it in as well ? Torts may think if he's gonna get injured anyways, may as well play him while he still can. Seems like faulty logic, but hey, he's got a Stanley Cup on his resume.

ontheDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheDB View Post
Like I said before, I'm not pointing any fingers at Gabby for his 'lack of scoring etc'.
Simply saying:

Looks like he's playing hurt. He can still make plays like the one you mentioned, but overall, not so much.
Explained why these examples would be because of an injury rather than him just coasting.

Somebody did bring up a good point about how Torts likes to give hist star players a lot of playing time. Generally, it's a great idea. Gabby's great on the PP, PK and 5-on-5. But his injury history has got to factor it in as well ? Torts may think if he's gonna get injured anyways, may as well play him while he still can. Seems like faulty logic, but hey, he's got a Stanley Cup on his resume.
He also had Vinny LeCavalier, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, and Dan Boyle either in, or coming into their primes.

This team is a whole different situation in so many ways. Lets hope he has the foresight to adjust accordingly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Simply saying:

11 games...8 goals...7 assists is playing hurt.

man, imagine his numbers if he was playing healthy!

He doesnt look hurt at all to me. he's not AO who goes at 150MPH every shift. He's a guy who coasts around, finds his spots, and then explodes for a few seconds where everyone is left in the dust....watch the preseason interviews with Aaron Voros, that's how he describes Gaboriks game, and he is dead on accurate....Gabby kinda skates nice and easy, and then, wham, 100mph skating stride is zooomed past you and that release has murdered your goalie...and then its right back to nice, soft, calm, borderline "lazy" stride.

he picks his spots, hes deceptive in that manner...youre a defenseman or a winger or whatever...youre skating with him stride for stride, you take your eye off him, and in that split second, he's 3 strides behind you breaking in on a breakaway.

I'd be worried about Gabby if he didnt have those 10 or 12 "explosive" moments every game..but he has been. hes looked 100% healthy to me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Simply saying:

Yay, i'm a somebody again!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote