HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Ranger Leaves Team For Personal Reasons (ALL Paul Ranger questions here!)

Old
01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
gobolt7

vCash: 500
Lets not get too far ahead of our selves here...if I remember correctly, Ranger was not exactly setting the world on fire before he left. Maybe resolving whatever his issue was will help his focus, but I am not expecting him to come in and play top 4 minutes any time soon. I would think that he would have to wait his turn to a certain degree when he does come back.

I think at the end of the day, the best we can hope is that this is just another bullet for the team to use to try to convince the other 3 that they need to pick up their physical play below the hashmarks.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Gman

Can he return to the team at any time and is he getting paid?

Im starting to think we really won't see him back till next year if ever. What a shame.

Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
WillardJFredricks

In the Toronto Sun's game preview for tonight they said it's possible Ranger will announce his retirement. The Globe and Mail's preview said an announcement will be made soon and he might be returning. It's a strange situation. I've been a fan of his since Junior so I hope he comes back.

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

What happen with this kid?

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Shadeslayer813

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillardJFredricks View Post
In the Toronto Sun's game preview for tonight they said it's possible Ranger will announce his retirement. The Globe and Mail's preview said an announcement will be made soon and he might be returning. It's a strange situation. I've been a fan of his since Junior so I hope he comes back.
anyway you can post the article

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillardJFredricks View Post
I doubt they they know the situation, so I don't see the point in making guesses like that. There are only a few people who actually know what is going on outside of his family and so far they have done a great job of keeping this a private matter with just Ranger and nobody else. When Ranger is ready to tell us, we will know.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
WillardJFredricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I doubt they they know the situation, so I don't see the point in making guesses like that. There are only a few people who actually know what is going on outside of his family and so far they have done a great job of keeping this a private matter with just Ranger and nobody else. When Ranger is ready to tell us, we will know.
I agree that I don't know how they would have knowledge. Both reports were little tidbits accompanying the larger articles about the Leafs, but I'll see if they have them online and post them...

EDIT: Couldn't find them online, but here are the direct quotes:
"D Paul Ranger, who has missed most of the season for personal reasons but is still on the team's payroll, might be making a decision soon on coming back or retiring from hockey." Toronto Sun, January 21 Page S15

"Botls defenceman Paul Ranger, out since Oct. 23 because of a personal issue, may be getting ready for a return. The team said an announcement was coming..." David Shoalts, Globe and Mail January 21, Page S3

Last edited by WillardJFredricks: 01-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
What happen with this kid?
No one knows, this has been kept under very tight wraps.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

The Toronto Sun doesn't know **** about us.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

If Ranger retires, well...that'll suck.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:12 PM
CSampson

There was a post on another board that was edited pretty quickly by the guy who posted and removed it. I saved it before he edited it out as he was PMing the other people who quoted him to remove it. I won't post it but he basically said Ranger didn't want to play hockey any more and that he was depressed.

I have NO idea if that is true or not but like I said it seemed suspicious to me. I have a feeling that it might be that though. I wouldn't be surprised if he quit at this point. Anyways, let's hope we get an announcement soon. The guy is still on the payroll.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
TheBoltman

Friend of mine said that he saw on a Bolts forum that 620 Big Dog said he has an addiction to pain killers.

TheBoltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoltman View Post
Friend of mine said that he saw on a Bolts forum that 620 Big Dog said he has an addiction to pain killers.
Jesus, withdrawal from that is NOT fun.

So many rumors out there though.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
Quote:
it's conjecture, but i can see it. poor dude has been busting up his shoulders for a couple of years now.

honestly, this is one of the best possible scenarios (admittingly, selfishly), because ranger has the means to beat this and it would somewhat explain why he was so inconsistent when he was playing (although i dont agree that he was playing terrible.)

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Sear91

Still no news on Ranger?? Its been a couple of weeks, but has there even been a slight update??

Sear91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:11 AM
gobolt7

Nope.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:00 AM
sonny side up

Quote:
I hope it's just this.. I only say that because Tampa Bay Devil Rays fans will like to forget we had Josh Hamilton at one point. I believe he went through the same sort of thing, but after pain killers, it was heroine or coke... God I hope that's not happening to Ranger.

One 'good' thing about this whole thing though is guys like Lundin and Smaby are getting nice stints here up in the big leagues.

Get well soon Ranger!!

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
It is NOT painkillers. No way, not even close. For him to even suggest that is not only irresponsible, its borderline slanderous.

Old
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
It is NOT painkillers. No way, not even close. For him to even suggest that is not only irresponsible, its borderline slanderous.
Umm.. not to call you out or anything, but what is it then? Pain killers is one of the ONLY few things that makes sense.. I honestly can't think of any other thing (that isn't related to pain killers) that it could be.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Umm.. not to call you out or anything, but what is it then? Pain killers is one of the ONLY few things that makes sense.. I honestly can't think of any other thing (that isn't related to pain killers) that it could be.
Look at the CBA, and the non roster list Ranger is currently on. (This needs league approval, I believe, to be placed on said list.) One of the provisions that it cant be, is a medical or psychological problem. Addiction to pain meds falls under that, so if that is the issue, there is no way the team could have put him there.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Look at the CBA, and the non roster list Ranger is currently on. (This needs league approval, I believe, to be placed on said list.) One of the provisions that it cant be, is a medical or psychological problem. Addiction to pain meds falls under that, so if that is the issue, there is no way the team could have put him there.
I stand corrected good sir... nice catch

Old
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
bassassin

Quote:
16.12 Non-Roster Player.
(a) Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play
due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a
funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his
designation as such he will not count against the Club's Active Roster limit and his Club
may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player's Player Salary
and Bonuses and his replacement's Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in
calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players'
Share, for purposes of Article 50.
http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

Wonder what it could be?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

We're not here to speculate is mainly the gist of gobolts post. I just wish him quick recovery from whatever it is.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
BRichards19

Great find! I had no idea that rule existed in the CBA.

BRichards19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I thought we agreed that we wouldn't bring this thread back until actual news occurs haha

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote