HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Taylor goes off on poker, on air... LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
  #1
mpah
Registered User
 
mpah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Don Taylor goes off on poker, on air... LOL

this may have been posted before, I didnt see a thread but if you're as bored as I am, this is a great bit

"I played fish with the kids last night"





mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
  #2
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,754
vCash: 500
LOL. That was awesome. Both had some great points! But the video itself... uh... Dumb and Dumber and Step Brothers?

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
  #3
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Too funny Poker is a very complex game but it ain't no sport.

P.S. There's a general OT thread for this kinda thing

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
  #4
JohnAlexander
 
JohnAlexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
That's hilarious.

You can tell how tenuous Pratt's argument is by how rattled he gets with someone challenging it.

Poker is a fun game...just like NHL 09.

As a sport it's a complete joke.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
  #5
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
That's hilarious.

You can tell how tenuous Pratt's argument is by how rattled he gets with someone challenging it.

Poker is a fun game...just like NHL 09.

As a sport it's a complete joke.
By Pratt's argument chess is also a sport.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
  #6
*M*J*D*
Registered User
 
*M*J*D*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Regina, Sask, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Haha, I won a poker tourney yesterday, it was nothin


what was truly funny for anyone that didn't catch it, I originally said

'Haha, I one a poker touney yerterday, it was nothin' I almost managed to spell every word wrong.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
  #7
tretiak09*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
All sports are games, not all games are sports.


But both those guys are idiots.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
  #8
tretiak09*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by *M*J*D* View Post
Haha, I won a poker tourney yesterday, it was nothin
..I two the poker tournament...

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
  #9
*M*J*D*
Registered User
 
*M*J*D*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Regina, Sask, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tretiak09 View Post
..I two the poker tournament...
You are amazing, congrats!!! Thats takes twice as many physical elements as it took me to win one.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
  #10
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Poker is not a sport no. But the main event at the WSOP is a very grueling event. And for a 76 year old man to play in it and demand the kind of respect that Brunson demands is truly an outstanding accomplishment.

I find it funny though that golf is the sport of choice to prove that the WSOP is not physically grueling. Golf is the least physically grueling sport there is. 4 rounds in 4 days, that's a nice holiday.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
  #11
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I find it funny though that golf is the sport of choice to prove that the WSOP is not physically grueling. Golf is the least physically grueling sport there is. 4 rounds in 4 days, that's a nice holiday.
He wasn't saying it wasn't gruelling. He was saying there is no physical component at all to poker, and he's right. In golf, you at least have to be able to reproduce a physical act many times. Poker is a game, because there is no physicality involved at all.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
  #12
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,797
vCash: 500
Toughest prize in sport? Is he joking?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
  #13
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,457
vCash: 500
lol, Don Taylor is awesome. He made that guy, correction, that guy makes himself sound like a tool. I can see why he makes that argument, but its stupid. I cant believe he brings up the fact that they play it on sports channels (which I HATE).

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
  #14
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
lol, Don Taylor is awesome. He made that guy, correction, that guy makes himself sound like a tool. I can see why he makes that argument, but its stupid. I cant believe he brings up the fact that they play it on sports channels (which I HATE).
I think the only validation, flawed as it may be, that people could make for poker being a sport is that it's televised. Ironically, one could say the same thing about golf - no TV, no controversy over whether it qualifies as a sport.

I wonder what's next... maybe they could televise eating contests and then we argue over whether or nor that's a sport. Oh wait a minute, they already do show those on TV.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
  #15
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He wasn't saying it wasn't gruelling. He was saying there is no physical component at all to poker, and he's right. In golf, you at least have to be able to reproduce a physical act many times. Poker is a game, because there is no physicality involved at all.
First off i'm not trying to say that poker is a physically grueling sport/game. Because it isn't, you don't see many poker players in the gym training for the WSOP, and i haven't heard of many poker injuries aside from carpal tunnel syndrome. Although sitting there for the whole tournament is both physically and mentally grueling. And in a tournament with 6000+ players if you are not 100% mentally right it will cost you.

Golf like many sports is approximately 90% mental and 10% physical. Poker is probably 99% mental and 1% physical. In both cases the mental and physical are dependent on each other. If you are physically tired you are going to make mental mistakes, and if you are mentally tired you are going to make physical mistakes.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:44 PM
  #16
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Toughest prize in sport? Is he joking?
Last year there were 6,844 players. I'm not sure if there is another major championship that you have to be the best out of 6,844 people. I think that alone puts it up there as one of the hardest prizes in "sport".

Then again you have to ask what do you mean by "toughest". because it is no where near to the toughest prize in sport to win physically. But on a competitiveness and skilled level I would say it is.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
  #17
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I think the only validation, flawed as it may be, that people could make for poker being a sport is that it's televised. Ironically, one could say the same thing about golf - no TV, no controversy over whether it qualifies as a sport.

I wonder what's next... maybe they could televise eating contests and then we argue over whether or nor that's a sport. Oh wait a minute, they already do show those on TV.
They've also showed spelling bee's before, another long, stressful activity thats far from a sport. At least golf is based on a physical activity. Poker is nothing more than a mid-day time slot filler for sports stations that cater to guys.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
  #18
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
They've also showed spelling bee's before, another long, stressful activity thats far from a sport. At least golf is based on a physical activity. Poker is nothing more than a mid-day time slot filler for sports stations that cater to guys.
They show rock paper scissors championships as well....

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
  #19
clayton magnet
Registered User
 
clayton magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Peace River, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Toughest prize in sport? Is he joking?
yeah that stuck out to me too when he was ranting. Anyone can win the world poker tour with the right combination of patience and luck.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
  #20
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton magnet View Post
yeah that stuck out to me too when he was ranting. Anyone can win the world poker tour with the right combination of patience and luck.
anyone hey, haha. I don't even know what to say to that.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
  #21
jfhlbuffy
 
jfhlbuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
I don't often like Don Taylor, but this was awesome.

Poker is as much a sport as the moon is cheese.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
  #22
Abused Catatonically
Registered User
 
Abused Catatonically's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Last year there were 6,844 players. I'm not sure if there is another major championship that you have to be the best out of 6,844 people. I think that alone puts it up there as one of the hardest prizes in "sport".

Then again you have to ask what do you mean by "toughest". because it is no where near to the toughest prize in sport to win physically. But on a competitiveness and skilled level I would say it is.
I would give that title to the Tour De France or FIFA World Cup quite a few Olympic events from both summer and winter looooooong before any poker event. It's like Phil Helmuth says, "If it weren't for luck I would win them all".

Abused Catatonically is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
  #23
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused Catatonically View Post
I would give that title to the Tour De France or FIFA World Cup quite a few Olympic events from both summer and winter looooooong before any poker event. It's like Phil Helmuth says, "If it weren't for luck I would win them all".
The Tour De france only has 180 riders, to be the best of 6000+ is a greater feet than to be the best of 180.

The World cup is only a 32 team event...

As for the olympics, you could make the argument that everyone in the world has a chance to compete at the Olympics. Though once you make it to the Olympics there are no where near 6000 people in any given event, it would me more like 30-40 athletes in any given event.

I'm not saying that the winner of the WSOP is the most amazing athlete there is because in reality a 300 pound man could win the WSOP, he would have no chance at winning the Tour De France.

All i'm saying is that sitting down at the beginning of the WOSP, and sitting at the starting line of the Tour De France. You are far more likely to win the Tour De France than you are a bracelet. So it is harder to win the Main event at the WSOP than it is to win the Tour De France. (not based on physical demands of the events at all)

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
  #24
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
LOL

Taylor is completely right. No idea why it's on TSN and Sportsnet, hell The Score too.

I think poker takes a lot of mental skill. That doesn't make it a sport.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
  #25
Abused Catatonically
Registered User
 
Abused Catatonically's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
The Tour De france only has 180 riders, to be the best of 6000+ is a greater feet than to be the best of 180.

The World cup is only a 32 team event...

As for the olympics, you could make the argument that everyone in the world has a chance to compete at the Olympics. Though once you make it to the Olympics there are no where near 6000 people in any given event, it would me more like 30-40 athletes in any given event.

I'm not saying that the winner of the WSOP is the most amazing athlete there is because in reality a 300 pound man could win the WSOP, he would have no chance at winning the Tour De France.

All i'm saying is that sitting down at the beginning of the WOSP, and sitting at the starting line of the Tour De France. You are far more likely to win the Tour De France than you are a bracelet. So it is harder to win the Main event at the WSOP than it is to win the Tour De France. (not based on physical demands of the events at all)
To me your argument fails by the FACT that anyone in the world can buy in to the WSOP. All the other events I mentioned take years of qualifying to even be in that elite field to be allowed to compete in that sport. You can not at any point in the preliminaries buy back in to the world cup of soccer if you get knocked out. You can't just pay your way back into the lead of the Tour De France if you get dropped in one of the climbs in the Alps. You not knowing this FACT shows me where your opinion is coming from. Winning a big international chess tournament alone is much much harder then WSOP, and that is not considered a sporting event. Sitting at the starting line of the Tour De France and not knowing how to ride a bike makes your odds Zero because it's impossible for you to do it. By that same token as insanely small as the odds would be that you could win the WSOP without knowing how to play poker it could happen. Someone deals you all your cards you bet the maximum luck does the rest and you get a gold bracelet. Pretty simple if ridiculously unlikely though technically possible.

Abused Catatonically is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.