HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne has successful surgeries - (post #85)

Old
10-26-2009, 11:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Maroon!
This.

Stevens liked Maroon before camp. Injury set him back. Maroon seems healthy enough.

I want to give Maroon a shot.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This.

Stevens liked Maroon before camp. Injury set him back. Maroon seems healthy enough.

I want to give Maroon a shot.
I don't see why not. It's better than having Cote in the lineup.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

When is the medical staff in Philadelphia going to get fired? How many times can you misdiagnose someone? Honest to goodness. If this were any other franchise, the medical staff would have been canned. No wonder why Gagne slagged the medical staff back in 07-08 after they misdiagnosed his concussions. Incompetence at it's finest.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
I'll put the Inq's piece here, too, since it involves Gagne in addition to Jones.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...es_coming.html

Quote:
As for Gagne, the Flyers’ orthopedic surgeon, Peter DeLuca, says the left winger needs surgery. Gagne, however, will get a second opinion from his doctor in Montreal Thursday.

"Once he sees what’s concluded, we’ll move forward,” GM Paul Holmgren said.

In the last four years, Gagne has had three surgeries in the groin/hip area.

“I don’t think it is going to hurt to make sure that we get a second opinion and make sure we all see the same thing in Montreal that we do here in Philly,” Gagne said. “We just want to do this to make sure it isn’t something else.”

Gagne will be examined Thursday by Dr. Rey Brown, who has performed groin surgery on the winger in the past.

Asked about Gagne’s recovery time if the surgery is performed, Holmgren said, “I don’t know and neither does the doctor until he actually gets in there.”

Holmgren reiterated that he has no interest in signing free-agent left winger Brendan Shanahan and that, for now, no one will be recalled from the Phantoms.

Center Blair Betts is expected to return from a shoulder injury Saturday. That would give the Flyers a forward who, in effect, would replace Gagne.

Jones makes $3 million a year. Teams can claim him for half his $2.75 million cap hit.

If no one claims him, his cap hit will be absorbed by the Flyers.

Gagne’s $5.25 million salary doesn’t count against the cap while he’s on the long-term injured list, opening room for Jones’ salary.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:23 PM
FlyersFanJS

Not good...I really thought Gags would be around for a full season, stupid me

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:04 PM
kicksave27

If their response to Gagne on LTIR is cote playing a regular shift, I'm glad I didn't re-up my partial season tix this year.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
If their response to Gagne on LTIR is cote playing a regular shift, I'm glad I didn't re-up my partial season tix this year.
For the immediate future, Betts replaces Gagne among the twelve forwards playing.

Old
10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Lab Monkey

I got a feeling Gags wont be back

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
dutchcrunch14

hey i am just wondering who will most likely take gagne's spot on his line and pp. is it jvr?

any news on the second opinion?

dutchcrunch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcrunch14 View Post
hey i am just wondering who will most likely take gagne's spot on his line and pp. is it jvr?

any news on the second opinion?
At the moment our top 6:

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere

This is untill Stevens decides to switch it up... like probablly tomarrow.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:24 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
At the moment our top 6:

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere

This is untill Stevens decides to switch it up... like probablly tomarrow.
And 10 minutes before the game.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Kaktus*

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...njured/2/23997

Quote:
"Incidentally, there apparently is disagreement among the docs on how to proceed with Gagne."

Whats going on?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Anybody have an update? I've heard that there are conflicting reports from Gagne's own Dr and the Flyers doctors....go figure. I'm crossing my fingers.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
no info on the different opinions yet

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
no info on the different opinions yet
According to a source, it's a tough decision. There are discrepancies between sides on how long he will be out depending on the course of action he decides to take.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Anybody have an update? I've heard that there are conflicting reports from Gagne's own Dr and the Flyers doctors....go figure. I'm crossing my fingers.
Just this:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...6851784811.prt

Quote:

VOORHEES, N.J. — Paul Holmgren has a headache.

He’s tired of answering questions about injuries. He’s tired of dealing with the media and doctors and hiding beind descriptions such as “lower body soreness.”

He just wants his team healthy and to play to its potential, but that’s not what the first month of the NHL season has been like.

Instead, it’s been one aggravation after another.

Not only have they lost as many games as they’ve won and been inconsistent, but now Simon Gagne has two hernias, won’t play for two months, and has two doctors giving him two different prognoses for his injuries.

“We’re wading through that process,” Holmgren said. “We’re going to have some kind of a meeting of the minds here and decide what to do. I don’t want to say conflicting, but there’s different issues here.”

Holmgren wouldn’t get into specifics, but the doctors who examined Gagne in Montreal think Gagne can avoid surgery, while the Flyers medical team feels that’s the best option.

The other choices Gagne might consider?

“Injections, cortisone… These are just different things we’ve tried over the years with other players,” Holmgren said. “I don’t know. Hopefully we’ll have an answer soon. I’m getting tired of answering the same questions and you’re getting tired of asking them.”

All parties will reconvene this morning to determine Gagne’s final plan.

Old
10-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Here we go...

He's going to opt to avoid surgery, then come back...tweak it/aggravate it...and then have to have surgery and miss the balance of the year.

I can see it now.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:10 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Here we go...

He's going to opt to avoid surgery, then come back...tweak it/aggravate it...and then have to have surgery and miss the balance of the year.

I can see it now.
Yeah just get it fixed now instead of coming back in 20 games and being a shadow for the rest of the season.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
This doesn't sound very promising...

Gagne’s treatment remains in question
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA – The shroud of secrecy surrounding Simon Gagne’s groin grew murkier Saturday as the Flyers remained mum on what is going on with their star winger.

What is known is that Gagne has two small hernias in his right groin area. The same right groin he’s had double hernia surgery before as well as multiple hip surgeries due to problems linked to the groin.

The Flyers want him to have surgery. He got a second opinion, and his personal doctors feel otherwise.

Now, there’s a stalemate.

The Flyers keep promising daily updates, but then keep offering the same, stale, non-answer for what is going on.

Here was a statement issued by G.M. Paul Holmgren Saturday afternoon:

“We are still going over Simon’s MRI’s, ultrasound results and bone scan results while conferring with the doctors and Simon,” he said. “No decision on treatment (was) made (Saturday). We hope to finalize our plan of attack (today).”

Sounds a lot like what Holmgren said Friday… and Thursday… and…

Gagne has remained out of touch with the local media since meeting with doctors in Montreal Thursday.

He was available to sign autographs after the game Saturday for a short time in a special session for season ticket holders, but left before reporters could speak with him.

There is a rift between the sides as they try to determine the best option for Gagne.
Click link for complete article

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:43 AM
HoverCarle*

for once we want surgery and the player doesnt

Old
11-01-2009, 09:45 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
for once we want surgery and the player doesnt
I wonder if there is a pre-disposition toward surgery. My brother works as a Doctor in Penn Hospital, and he says some doctors will always opt for surgery (more money, of course), regardless of whether it's really needed.

Still, better to take the surgery I guess and not have a bigger possibility of aggravating the injury.

Just a thought.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Gagne doesn't have any faith in the Flyers' medical personnel and, really, why should he?

However, I am sure that he also thinking about his future. He can't really lose another huge amount of time. He will have one last chance to sign a big contract and, right now, he's envisioning millions being pissed away due to injury concerns. He wants to play this season.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
orangeandblack

Gagne out for the year would be undoubtedly the best thing for the Flyers. They could use his cap hit to trade for a young 6th defenseman, and a checking line forward.

Gagne has been brutal in the last few years. His play in the traffic areas is dreadful, and he looked so soft in the playoffs. He has been a total liability. He was the 7th guy, in the top 6.... no room for him. The guy cant create his own scoring chances like he could a few years ago. Hes just so soft, and doesnt compete like some of the other forwards. I hate to see anyone get hurt long term, but if it could have been anyone, I think him being out is best for the Flyers.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Gagne out for the year would be undoubtedly the best thing for the Flyers. They could use his cap hit to trade for a young 6th defenseman, and a checking line forward.

Gagne has been brutal in the last few years. His play in the traffic areas is dreadful, and he looked so soft in the playoffs. He has been a total liability. He was the 7th guy, in the top 6.... no room for him. The guy cant create his own scoring chances like he could a few years ago. Hes just so soft, and doesnt compete like some of the other forwards. I hate to see anyone get hurt long term, but if it could have been anyone, I think him being out is best for the Flyers.
Ever stop and realize that he has been bad BECAUSE of injury?

Old
11-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post

Ok i just found this funny. Been brutal the last few years? He scored 35 goals last season. Was solid in the two way game and was up with the highest of +- stats. Get your facts right first.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote