HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jose Theodore to take over....Patrick Roy???

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Jose Theodore to take over....Patrick Roy???

RDS.CA (Translation below)

By Patrice Brisebois..

Roy s'était levé pour dire à ses coéquipiers qu'ils témoignaient trop de respect aux Nordiques. Il avait aussi demandé qu'on lui donne un ou deux buts par match et qu'il allait fermer la porte.

"Patrick pouvait se permettre de faire de telles déclarations. Il avait tellement confiance en lui, fait valoir Brisebois. Mark Messier a aussi promis une victoire des Rangers contre les Devils. Mais il faut faire attention avec pareilles déclarations." Chez le Canadien, aucun joueur ne peut s'exprimer avec autant d'assurance. Sauf peut-être José Théodore.

"Je ne peux pas vous dire ce qu'il m'a dit après le match de vendredi à Boston. Mais ça ressemble à ce que Patrick a dit à l'époque", a confié le vétéran défenseur.
--------------------

Basically he says, they went down 2-0 in 93 to the Nords and then they came back to win 4 straight..they had a meeting before game 3 and lots of leaders stood up including Patrick Roy who said .." give me a couple of goals and i'll shut down everything else"

Patrice Brisebois also said "I cannot tell you what Theodore told me after friday's game but it ressembles what Roy said in 93"

Old
04-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Aerolanche

Maybe or...maybe not. Sorry, but Patrick Roy started with a Conn Smythe in his rookie year..lets see Theodore do it first.

Old
04-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Maybe or...maybe not. Sorry, but Patrick Roy started with a Conn Smythe in his rookie year..lets see Theodore do it first.
A Hart and a Vezina not good enough for you?

Old
04-11-2004, 12:08 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Sure, if he had a time machine.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:59 AM
AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

Quote:

I dont' think he's comparing the abilities or performances, just the attitude.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Aerolanche

Haha, sweet all 3 replys are to me.

Yeah now that I read it closer, he is just comparing the attitudes..sorry about that.

The attitude is always nice, but it makes it alot easier after you have done it before (Roy had the '86 Cup & Smythe).

Old
04-11-2004, 02:04 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
The Hart, he did not deserve.

It was stolen from Iginla.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix

And Sergei Samsonov stole the Calder from Mattias Ohlund in 1998. Regardless of whether or not he deserved it, he still won it. So what's your point?

Old
04-11-2004, 06:42 AM
mole

Quote:
And Sergei Samsonov stole the Calder from Mattias Ohlund in 1998. Regardless of whether or not he deserved it, he still won it. So what's your point?
The point would be that he feels the trophy is worthless to bring up since he didn't deserve it.

Speaking of worthless things to bring up, you've got that area covered, it seems.

Old
04-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Whatever can help himself and his team is good. When you are down 2-0 you need to do something.

Old
04-11-2004, 07:51 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:

I don't think you realize how good Theodore really was in his Hart & Vezina year.
Getting 35+ shots every night while seeing your team take only 13 shots on the other team's goalie, and knowing that the result of each and every game depends on nothing but the number of goals he lets in. Probably the same situation as Luongo faced this year, expect the 2003-04 Panthers are much more talented than the 2001-02 Canadiens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Iginla wasn't Calgary's key player, but the fact is the Flames could rely on some other guys like Conroy and McAmmond to do the scoring also... Theodore was basically all by himself. What he accomplished earned him the Hart, and he deserved it.

Old
04-11-2004, 08:21 AM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
Now i am not a habs fan but i dont think theodore could EVER replace Roy when he played for habs....Roy is one of the greats of all times and Theodore isnt even close to as good as him(IMO)Yes he went down 2-0 in a series and theodore is in same position but he is not as good as Roy if he wins or not

Old
04-11-2004, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:

Hart and Vezina's aren't won in the playoffs.

And it was not stolen from Iginla. The Hart is not the best player in the league (which Iginla was), it was the most valuable (which Theodore was). With Iginla, the Flames were a bad team that year. Without Theodore, the Canadiens were high in the lottery. This is yet another moot argument.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:47 AM
DarioinDenver

Let's just see Jose actually do it before we crown him one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the NHL.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Traitor8

Theodore deserved the Hart trophy, no doubt!

He was the most valuable player..Calgary didn't make the playoffs, Montreal did.. that's a good way of looking at it. if you don't make the playoffs, your season is kinda overlooked..like Andy Murray this year..he won't win the Jack Adams because he didn't make the playoffs.

Without Theodore, Montreal would be 14th-15th in the East that year.

I mean common, look at our defense and first 3 lines:

Kilger-Koivu-Zednik
Petrov-Gilmour-McKay
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Perreault was logging ice time on the 4th line or 2nd line when Gilmour was out.

Brisebois-TRAVERSE!!!!!
Markov-Rivet
Dykhuis!!!-Quintal
Souray was always injured until the playoffs.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:21 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
expect the 2003-04 Panthers are much more talented than the 2001-02 Canadiens.
Are you kidding me? Without Luongo the Panthers were in the Ovechkin race. Without Theodore the Canadiens would have been a lottery team, but not as bad as the Panthers would be without Luongo. The Canadiens team that year at least had some experience and proven veteran players. The best Florida had was Jokinen, and people weren't sure if he was going to be a one year fluke or not. They had a sophmore player anchoring their defense for a good part of the year.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:21 PM
AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

He was the most valuable player..Calgary didn't make the playoffs, Montreal did.. that's a good way of looking at it. if you don't make the playoffs, your season is kinda overlooked..like Andy Murray this year..he won't win the Jack Adams because he didn't make the playoffs.

Kilger-Koivu-Zednik
Petrov-Gilmour-McKay
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Perreault was logging ice time on the 4th line or 2nd line when Gilmour was out.

Brisebois-TRAVERSE!!!!!
Markov-Rivet
Dykhuis!!!-Quintal
Koivu was out for all but 4 or 5 games.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Traitor8

so true so our lines were like this:

Kilger-Perreault-Zednik
Petrov-Gilmour-McKay
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

Old
04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Habsfunk

The Habs need two players to step it up:
Jose Theodore and Saku Koivu

Of course, they need Theo to stand on his head. Hopefully he backs up his words on the ice.

They need Koivu to get going because when he does everyone else seems to play better. During the Habs amazing stretch it was Koivu that was leading the way and he was dominating games. He needs to play like that now.

Old
04-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Iginla lead his team to something like 10 points out of the playoffs. In fact, the last 2 months of the season was just mindless stat packing for Iginla because they had nothing else to play for. Theodore single handedly took a bottom 5 team to within 1 game and 1 period away from the ECF.

Old
04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

Kilger-Koivu-Zednik
Petrov-Gilmour-McKay
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

Brisebois-TRAVERSE!!!!!
Markov-Rivet
Dykhuis!!!-Quintal
We didnt even have Koivu

Old
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
Are you kidding me? Without Luongo the Panthers were in the Ovechkin race. Without Theodore the Canadiens would have been a lottery team, but not as bad as the Panthers would be without Luongo. The Canadiens team that year at least had some experience and proven veteran players. The best Florida had was Jokinen, and people weren't sure if he was going to be a one year fluke or not. They had a sophmore player anchoring their defense for a good part of the year.
Luongo was the difference between QAtlanta bad and Carolina bad. Theodore in 2002 was the difference between pittsburgh bad this year, and playoffs.

Old
04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Luongo was the difference between QAtlanta bad and Carolina bad. Theodore in 2002 was the difference between pittsburgh bad this year, and playoffs.
Pittsburgh bad? Really? I mean, I just find that hard to believe. I thought the Canadiens were better that year from what I saw. Maybe I was mistaken.

Old
04-11-2004, 06:11 PM
leafaholix*

The Hart was given to Theodore because a couple Nashville writers didn't have Iginla on their list of top 10 candidates... if he were to be ranked #10 on either list, it would have gone to Iginla.

Theodore was great, that's why he got the Vezina... but Montreal finished just 8 points ahead of a horrible Calgary team... a team that had 1 line (Iginla, McAmmond, Conroy), an average goalie, and only 3 players with more then 35 points.

Iginla was the reason that team didn't finish in the bottom 3 in the NHL.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:31 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
The Hart was given to Theodore because a couple Nashville writers didn't have Iginla on their list of top 10 candidates... if he were to be ranked #10 on either list, it would have gone to Iginla.

Theodore was great, that's why he got the Vezina... but Montreal finished just 8 points ahead of a horrible Calgary team... a team that had 1 line (Iginla, McAmmond, Conroy), an average goalie, and only 3 players with more then 35 points.

Iginla was the reason that team didn't finish in the bottom 3 in the NHL.

Didn't three writers leave theo off their ballot as well?

Closed Thread