HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What Stick Should I Buy?

Old
10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
In theory, the mid-kick shaft will bend more in the middle, store more energy, then release it for increased velocity, In theory, the low-kick shaft will bend more towards the bottom, loading up and releasing quicker.

95% of the shots I take are quick wrist or snap shots, so I'm not loading the One95 as much as I am the XXV, hence the higher velocity. That's why a lot of players, not all, but many, prefer low kickpoint sticks for those kinds of shots.

Flexing the two right now, the One95 is a bit stiffer feeling, and I need to lower the bottom hand to flex it. The XXV flexes fine almost in stickhandling position. Maybe that's the intermediate flex quirk, I know the One95 are supposed to be whippy feeling, but this one is a bit stiffer.

One other thing, maybe its a factor, when I brought the One95 closer to my body, it had really good velocity, while the XXV had good velocity far from my body. Again, seemed to load easier. The One95 also was more forgiving on slap shots, whereas the XXV needed careful follow through.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm 6'3" 230. I don't take anything off of the shaft but it seems like I've gotten this problem since I've been taking more snap shots.

It might be what the guy up there said. Maybe the blade isn't being put in the right way. Everytime I buy my blade the kid at the store puts it in. The same kid that I don't trust with my skates.
Have you ever noticed that your blade comes loose and makes a noise while playing?

It may sound funny and I am not treating you like a moron or anything so don't take it that way when I say this .... are you buying junior blades or tapered shaft blades and using them in a regular standard sized shaft not made for those?

We had a defensman who bought some junior blades on clearance while he was using a standard sized shaft and his blade was always loose for obvious reasons.

If there is any play at all the hosel will break while shooting.

Just wondering .... if this doesn't solve anything then I do not know what else could be said as to why you are breaking so many blades in your shaft at the frequency you stated.

What are you using exactly? What model and make?

That kid really can't screw up putting a blade into a shaft .... it fits or it doesn't. It isn't a hard thing to do ... I use a heat gun and warm up the shaft end and the hosel as well a little bit to help it along.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
fourofakindfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Have you ever noticed that your blade comes loose and makes a noise while playing?

It may sound funny and I am not treating you like a moron or anything so don't take it that way when I say this .... are you buying junior blades or tapered shaft blades and using them in a regular standard sized shaft not made for those?

We had a defensman who bought some junior blades on clearance while he was using a standard sized shaft and his blade was always loose for obvious reasons.

If there is any play at all the hosel will break while shooting.

Just wondering .... if this doesn't solve anything then I do not know what else could be said as to why you are breaking so many blades in your shaft at the frequency you stated.

What are you using exactly? What model and make?

That kid really can't screw up putting a blade into a shaft .... it fits or it doesn't. It isn't a hard thing to do ... I use a heat gun and warm up the shaft end and the hosel as well a little bit to help it along.
What I do is put a strip of stick tape over the hosel on both sides, then melt hot-melt glue on it before inserting it. Works perfectly.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
brown4king

ccm vector

i know this may not be the lightest nor the most expensive stick but it gives you incredible bang for your buck. It's pretty light and incredibly durable

brown4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown4king View Post
i know this may not be the lightest nor the most expensive stick but it gives you incredible bang for your buck. It's pretty light and incredibly durable
What are you talking about, theres a bunch of sticks in the CCM Vector line, wood and OPS. Be specific

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourofakindfowl View Post
What I do is put a strip of stick tape over the hosel on both sides, then melt hot-melt glue on it before inserting it. Works perfectly.
I do that too and it does work great. If one fits too tightly one can use a sharp knife or razorblade edge to shave a micro shaving off the corners of the hosel so it fits. Usually when one is too tight it is because of the corners not being rounded enough.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What are you talking about, theres a bunch of sticks in the CCM Vector line, wood and OPS. Be specific
I loved the V10 tapered shafts.... I'm probably gonna grab a V10 one piece as I've seen a few at under a 100 USD on closeout.

Using the 8K right now with a Dolemite blade. I like it but it was super long and I try to avoid cutting my shafts down too much (if it all).

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote