HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Tambellini

Old
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Didn't he do this last season for half a week?

He still sucks.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
some of you fans are crazy. tambellini has looked much better than he has at any point. he played well last nite, and yea the change in ot was bad, but so was streit stepping up at the blueline and not getting the puck or body, a fundamental mistake.
i know this franchise hasnt had much to cheer for but why would people constantly rip on a guy who is trying to change his game to be better for the team. tambellini has been finishing checks, actually going to the net with some balls and it paid off twice last nite.
3 goals in the last 2 games is a nice start considering he hadnt played since opening night.
and this isnt me saying hes a star, or he has turned the corner and will now produce, but cmon, the guy has worked hard and changed his style of play and now is starting to find the back of the net.
Agreed. I'm not sure why so many fans need to constantly get down on the players here. We know he's struggled to figure out the NHL game and we know based on his AHL game that he has the raw hockey materials to score. People should be cautiously optimistic and supportive that he's finally taking the first few steps to mature into an NHL player.

And more importantly, maybe he's doing it here instead of some other NHL city like many of MIlbury's impatient trades of young players who hadn't figured it all out yet.

Either you guys want to be like Milbury and trade the younger players because "they suck" before they've had a chance to develop (and some take longer than others) or you don't want to be like Milbury and you want to be patient and draft and develop young players. Which is it?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Either you guys want to be like Milbury and trade the younger players because "they suck" before they've had a chance to develop (and some take longer than others) or you don't want to be like Milbury and you want to be patient and draft and develop young players. Which is it?
Very good point. Patience is difficult and unrealized upside is a factor in every hockey decision regarding young players at this level.

If anything, Tambellini has proven all he can at the AHL level. I don't believe he'll benefit from BP UNLESS he's there to focus on areas that will help him in the NHL.

If he goes there to work on his work along the boards, his offensive positioning and going to the net more - essentially honing his "revised" game in the AHL vs the NHL - then that may benefit him and the team.

I don't believe Schremp has shown as much in the AHL, he may benefit from being a big contributor there before he's given a roster spot.

Neither has shown the ability to be a consistent NHL player, that's obvious. Luckily (for them), Weight and Hunter are out (previously Nielsen) and they've gotten several more life lines along the way.

I believe Tambellini has the best shot on the team (maybe after Tavares) and I'm really glad he's scoring. But if you insert Hunter and Weight, he's probably going to be the guy who sits.

The irony here is that everyone else is also struggling - including Weight, Bailey, Comeau, Nielsen. It's THOSE players that are hurting our changes of winning far more than the fringe forwards.

AND, of course, the horrible defense core - just brutal.

Either way - go Tamby

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Tambellini is 25 years old, and he's been in the organization since he was 21.

He's fully developed in the AHL, where he was a superstar. Bring him to the NHL, and he does crap. He played a full season last season, did nothing. The season before, didn't make it on the opening roster. The season before that he needed more development, which is understandable.

He's a bust, there's no walking around it unless he scores 30 goals this season.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
It's only 10 games in but no matter what you cannot ignore Tambellini's past when evaluating him for a contract next year at all. It needs to seriously be taken into account. Especially because there are a plethora of players already on the NHL roster or in the AHL that will be 3rd line players down the road. So unless he proves he is better than all of them (he won't), he should be released at the end of the year.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
BaileyToOkposo

get off this guys **** and go complain bout comeau. cuz his head is up his own ass, he sucks rite now. tambs played 3 games this year and has played all 3 games good. i think tambs was one of the best on the islanders this game. hustles to every puck and actually got the puck out of the corners. for the people who are giving him ****, y dont u shut up and let him play and when he has a bad game than you can say something, and for the people who are sayin that hes turned around, lets not jump foward that fast, just like the ppl sayin he sucks JUST WAIT to see if he can keep it up. some of u guys get really annoyin!!

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Very good point. Patience is difficult and unrealized upside is a factor in every hockey decision regarding young players at this level.

If anything, Tambellini has proven all he can at the AHL level. I don't believe he'll benefit from BP UNLESS he's there to focus on areas that will help him in the NHL.

If he goes there to work on his work along the boards, his offensive positioning and going to the net more - essentially honing his "revised" game in the AHL vs the NHL - then that may benefit him and the team.

I don't believe Schremp has shown as much in the AHL, he may benefit from being a big contributor there before he's given a roster spot.

Neither has shown the ability to be a consistent NHL player, that's obvious. Luckily (for them), Weight and Hunter are out (previously Nielsen) and they've gotten several more life lines along the way.

I believe Tambellini has the best shot on the team (maybe after Tavares) and I'm really glad he's scoring. But if you insert Hunter and Weight, he's probably going to be the guy who sits.

The irony here is that everyone else is also struggling - including Weight, Bailey, Comeau, Nielsen. It's THOSE players that are hurting our changes of winning far more than the fringe forwards.

AND, of course, the horrible defense core - just brutal.

Either way - go Tamby
Great post as always. The poster you were quoting, hit the nail right on the head. These boards take on such a manic depressive state at times, its as frustrating as it is laughable. When we sucked with Milbury and traded everyone away, everyone wanted a true rebuild. Now that there is a rebuild, everybody wants trades and UFA signings to happen so that our team can "compete".

We obviously can't compete in the standings. However, with the exception of the first Montreal game, we have competed in every single game. That's all you can ask for from a young team, with few talented players (who are also our youngest players).

The defense is the reason we have blown our leads. Witt, Sutton, Gervais, Martinek, and even Streit consistently give the puck away in the defensive zone. That's not system, that's low skill level on blue line. I expect Streit and Martinek to improve. Not much hope for the other guys.

Also, why can't we just admit that Tambs has had a good couple of games, and be cautiously optimistic that he may finally be turning the corner? Why all the hate on here after 2 well-played games by him? Let's at least try to be fair.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Great post as always. The poster you were quoting, hit the nail right on the head. These boards take on such a manic depressive state at times, its as frustrating as it is laughable. When we sucked with Milbury and traded everyone away, everyone wanted a true rebuild. Now that there is a rebuild, everybody wants trades and UFA signings to happen so that our team can "compete".

We obviously can't compete in the standings. However, with the exception of the first Montreal game, we have competed in every single game. That's all you can ask for from a young team, with few talented players (who are also our youngest players).

The defense is the reason we have blown our leads. Witt, Sutton, Gervais, Martinek, and even Streit consistently give the puck away in the defensive zone. That's not system, that's low skill level on blue line. I expect Streit and Martinek to improve. Not much hope for the other guys.

Also, why can't we just admit that Tambs has had a good couple of games, and be cautiously optimistic that he may finally be turning the corner? Why all the hate on here after 2 well-played games by him? Let's at least try to be fair.
Thank you, now if i had the patience to type all of that thats how i would have said it lol. i agree with streit as well. hes a great player but i did notice that also. with the puck in the defensive zone he seems to panic.

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
people will ride tamby because hes the whipping boy and dumping on him takes away from the other players. look at the stats from this year only... tamby is 3-0-3 while bailey is 1-2-3 and bailey has played 5 more games then tamby.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
people will ride tamby because hes the whipping boy and dumping on him takes away from the other players. look at the stats from this year only... tamby is 3-0-3 while bailey is 1-2-3 and bailey has played 5 more games then tamby.
Almost completely different situations, there shouldn't be a comparison between the two.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
Which is why stats mean jack****. Along with what the above poster said about completely different situations.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post

He's fully developed in the AHL, where he was a superstar. Bring him to the NHL, and he does crap. He played a full season last season, did nothing. The season before, didn't make it on the opening roster. The season before that he needed more development, which is understandable.

He's a bust, there's no walking around it unless he scores 30 goals this season.
Mike, is that you? Did you get tired of arguing with Al Strachan and Healy on HNIC's Hotstove and decide to come post on HF?

Seriously, he's had effectively one real year of NHL exposure and, if the last couple games are an indication, he's maybe - maybe - starting to figure it out. Some players are late bloomers (see: Streit last year).

Patience, Mike! Let him build up some confidence and see if his play continues to develop into some consistency.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Which is why stats mean jack****. Along with what the above poster said about completely different situations.
no sure why they mean jack**** when everyone is saying tambellini needs to score to be effective. goals are stats. tambs has outplayed both bailey and comeau, who have both looked terrible, but dont get called out. Blake Comeau has been pretty much invisible, except for when hes making terrible decisions with the puck.
Im by no means an avid tambellini supporter, but i call it like it is. Hes played 5 games and looked better than those 2 easily. Hes got the same points as them in 5 games as well, and since most people here say tambellini is only effect scoring goals, well he has done that in his limited time thus far.
Its very small sample-size, and hes got a long way to go to prove hes arrived, but i think its sad how some fans just blast the guy, even when hes starting to do the things he needs to do to be effective. hes doing things we didnt see him do, ever, in the past, such as the way he drove to the net for his 2 goals...so maybe hes realized and maybe this is finally the year we stop waiting.
yeah thats a lot of maybes, but its better than hearing the rest of you kill a 25 yr old whos busting his ass trying to be a better player. thats the resounding difference btwn tambs and a schremp. I didnt see any effort out of robbie, tambs is doing all the small things, including finishing checks and going to high traffic areas to create plays, you need to do to be an effective player.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post

Wonder if this is how the LA GM was thinking when he put Jason Blake on waivers as a 27 year old?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Honestly, after that crazy deflection goal I started to get some hope that he might amount to something, so after the 2-goal game I have really entertained the thought of him possibly turning into an actual top-6 player. Let's see how he produces over the next 10 game span.

Honestly, as good as Moulson has been I'd like to see Tambellini given a shot on that top line. They could use some more speed and if he is actually turning around he could really produce. I'm cautiously optimistic but optimistic nevertheless.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Open Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
get off this guys **** and go complain bout comeau. cuz his head is up his own ass, he sucks rite now. tambs played 3 games this year and has played all 3 games good. i think tambs was one of the best on the islanders this game. hustles to every puck and actually got the puck out of the corners. for the people who are giving him ****, y dont u shut up and let him play and when he has a bad game than you can say something, and for the people who are sayin that hes turned around, lets not jump foward that fast, just like the ppl sayin he sucks JUST WAIT to see if he can keep it up. some of u guys get really annoyin!!
Could this be the most illegible post ever? It's in the running...

Wow

Open Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 06:03 AM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

tambellini is a blockhead . but i agree with keepin him around at least for this season to see what he can do

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The definition of sadness: Tambellini is the Islanders 4th leading scorer.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Wonder if this is how the LA GM was thinking when he put Jason Blake on waivers as a 27 year old?
Good point, but you can't wait forever for a player to break out. And let's face it, most players break out before the age of 27. Just playing Devil's Advocate here. As far as I'm concerned, Tambs can stay for majority of the season as there's no one better already in the organization to replace him.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Titan124

Quote:
TBH if I took 20 shots a game I could have more than 30 goals.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
TBH if I took 20 shots a game I could have more than 30 goals.
Sure wish some of our forwards would be taking 20 shots per game.

Old
10-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Tambellini played a VERY strong game against the Rag$ last night. He was very present and gave them absolute fits in the corners and along the boards.

Nice little assist on the Tavares goal as well.

4 points in three games and solid skating paired with physical play.

This is the direction he needed to take his development in. Sure hope he can really bring this on a fairly consistant basis from here on out.

Gives you that feeling that he was just DYING sitting on the sidelines as a healthy scratch for 5 or so games.

Old
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
mikepac23

Let's give some credit to him. He's played hard and has been driving to the net the last few games. As a result, he's being rewarded by getting a few points. Good for him. I don't know if this is how he'll play from here on out, but it's encouraging that he's getting dirty now. If he can continue to play the same style, there's no reason to think he can't be a solid contributor to this team.

I hope it works out for him, b/c if he's playing well, he may be able to provide some scoring balance outside the top line.

mikepac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Tambellini played a VERY strong game against the Rag$ last night. He was very present and gave them absolute fits in the corners and along the boards.

Nice little assist on the Tavares goal as well.

4 points in three games and solid skating paired with physical play.

This is the direction he needed to take his development in. Sure hope he can really bring this on a fairly consistant basis from here on out.

Gives you that feeling that he was just DYING sitting on the sidelines as a healthy scratch for 5 or so games.
Excellent point.

I think Tambellini is redefining what kind of NHL player he is and how he needs to play. Even though this has taken him way out of his comfort zone, he's clearly more effective when he plays a skating, forechecking, game. His skating is exceptional and he's been on the puck like Richard Park of late.

If he continues to play this way, he'll not only be generating chances for himself AND his linemates - he'll also benefit from more ice-time and more PP time. He'll no longer be a liability, a player who remains on the perimeter, is invisible for many shifts and hurts you in your own zone and along the boards.

I'd like to see Schremp become that type of player but I'm not sure he has the speed to do that.

Comeau also needs to determine what type of player he's going to be as a pro. He'll continue to struggle and suffer an identity crisis out there until he does. He'll be the easy guy to scratch, with Tambellini playing so well and the 4th line proving to be extremely valuable.

Great to see Tambellini being noticed every shift. To me, that's the key - the points are a direct result of the effort. They're NOT meaningless second assists.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Could actually be some light at the end of this tunnel.... He's been very noticeable lately.

Would be nice to see after all Tambellini's struggles- and God knows the Isles are long-overdue to catch a break with a young player like this...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote