HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Tambellini

Old
10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Could actually be some light at the end of this tunnel.... He's been very noticeable lately.

Would be nice to see after all Tambellini's struggles- and God knows the Isles are long-overdue to catch a break with a young player like this...
He's just got to keep playing this way and good things will continue to happen. No one can say he's not talented, it's just that maybe now he's starting to understand how best to use that talent at the pro-level. Either that or he's had a fluky few games and will revert back to his old self. Hopefully not.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
RMimagery

Tambellini played one of the most physical games I've seen from him. Was that really him, tying up the puck along the boards behind the Ranger's goal in his skates twice in the last 2 minutes? He took off 30 seconds from the clock by himself. I would never think to put him out there to close out a game, but obviously Gordon sees the effort and is rewarding him.

I was not a supporter last year, but if he keeps up this play, including open ice hits, intelligent play without the puck and drives to the net, I'm a new fan.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
He's just got to keep playing this way and good things will continue to happen. No one can say he's not talented, it's just that maybe now he's starting to understand how best to use that talent at the pro-level. Either that or he's had a fluky few games and will revert back to his old self. Hopefully not.
Exactly. To me Tambellini gets in trouble and ultimately disappears whenever he tries to be a proto-typical "top 6 winger" and relies too much on finesse and trying to guess the best goal scoring areas, etc. He's far more effective as just a balls-out "havoc-wrecker" doggedly pursuing the puck. He's fast, surprisingly strong and can be quite disrupting to play against. Additionally, unlike say Bergenheim, he's got plus offensive skills that allow him to make a play with the puck (either pass, shoot, or drive the net) one he forces the turnover and create opportunities for his linemates. Not gorgeous by any stretch- but can be effective and could result in a successful NHL career if he can replicate it night-after-night (especially in a system like the Islanders).

Crossing fingers emoticon any one??

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
ferrisUML

Maybe we found our prize from the 2003 draft...

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Exactly. To me Tambellini gets in trouble and ultimately disappears whenever he tries to be a proto-typical "top 6 winger" and relies too much on finesse and trying to guess the best goal scoring areas, etc. He's far more effective as just a balls-out "havoc-wrecker" doggedly pursuing the puck. He's fast, surprisingly strong and can be quite disrupting to play against. Additionally, unlike say Bergenheim, he's got plus offensive skills that allow him to make a play with the puck (either pass, shoot, or drive the net) one he forces the turnover and create opportunities for his linemates. Not gorgeous by any stretch- but can be effective and could result in a successful NHL career if he can replicate it night-after-night (especially in a system like the Islanders).

CIsle compared him to Jason Blake in another thread. Eerily similar in comparison right down to the two teams involved. Let's hope it pans out as well if not better.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:03 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:

Good post. I haven't seen Isles's games this year yet, but it's encouraging to hear about Tambellini's play. I was probably one of the first on the anti-Tambellini bandwagon, but obviously for the good of the team I'd like to see him succeed. The key is driving to the net and getting into dirty areas. I wonder if Moulsen has helped show Tambellini the light? A late-bloomer beat Tamb out for a spot by scoring dirty goals. An "a-ha" moment for Tambellini?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Good post. I haven't seen Isles's games this year yet, but it's encouraging to hear about Tambellini's play. I was probably one of the first on the anti-Tambellini bandwagon, but obviously for the good of the team I'd like to see him succeed. The key is driving to the net and getting into dirty areas. I wonder if Moulsen has helped show Tambellini the light? A late-bloomer beat Tamb out for a spot by scoring dirty goals. An "a-ha" moment for Tambellini?
Food for thought.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
CIsle compared him to Jason Blake in another thread. Eerily similar in comparison right down to the two teams involved. Let's hope it pans out as well if not better.
That would be awesome if he could eventually step it up to Blake's level. He's not yet at Blake's level of puck carrying and possession control IMHO- but perhaps he can get there. I suspect CIsle is also bringing up Blake b/c Blake actually became as good as he did by simplifying his game and being a tenacious retriever/chaser of the puck- once he got that down- the rest of his game took off. Would be great if that's how it goes with Tambellini- especially as I think Tambellini has potentially better "finishing" capabilities than Blake with that wicked shot of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Right with you dc. This is the first time I actually see a potential way in which Tambellini could become a regular, effective, 2nd/3rd line winger in the NHL. Earlier incarnations had him on the perimeter, over-stick-handling and mis-timing his scoring opportunities. Just a poor display of hockey sense all-around- and clearly IMHO the product of a kid who didn't really have to "think" the game at lower levels b/c he had great wheels and a wicked shot. I still think he has poor hockey sense (see poor change at end of Montreal OT game)- but THIS sort of "human missile" style we're talking about has the advantage of taking a lot of the thinking out of the game for him. Just focus on getting the puck and making life generally miserable for the opposition's D by constantly nipping at their heels... Just cause a lot of havoc and try to profit off of it- rather than trying to be some sort of C-grade finesse player in the more traditional sense...

He obviously needs to show he can produce this style of play night-after-night before we can get too too excited though... I will say this... I actually do look forward to his shifts these days...

Last edited by CrimsonBruin21: 10-29-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That would be awesome if he could eventually step it up to Blake's level. He's not yet at Blake's level of puck carrying and possession control IMHO- but perhaps he can get there. I suspect CIsle is also bringing up Blake b/c Blake actually became as good as he did by simplifying his game and being a tenacious retriever/chaser of the puck- once he got that down- the rest of his game took off. Would be great if that's how it goes with Tambellini- especially as I think Tambellini has potentially better "finishing" capabilities than Blake with that wicked shot of his.
Exactly!

Both are smaller, faster players. Blake was a very offensive player at UNDakota. Here on the Island, he had to become a tenacious in-your-face fourth line checker before he then made a season-by-season climb to being a 1st liner. It didn't happen overnight. In addition, this development didn't come at the age of i.e. 21 or so, but rather first came about in his late 20s. Jeff is headed in that direction too.

Basically, it's all about the aforementioned redefinition of Jeff's game, something he seemed to take to heart for the last 25 games last season and which he's really been improving on in the past few games. This is the path Jason B. took and I see no reason why Jeff shouldn't be asked to try doing exactly the same (which is what Gordon and management have probably been workin' on with him).

Surely if he's being a pest, physical, making life miserable for the opponent along the boards and heck, getting the odd point now and again, then he's got a regular job on the Island.

There's no doubt that the wheels and work ethic are there. As Strummergas mentioned, he's got a better shot to boot, so let's just hope he gets there sooner rather than later.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I am happy the kid seems to be getting it. Its only been a few games, but hopefully he can continue to progress. I was one of his biggest detractors, but I hope for his sake and the team's sake that he can continue to grow and understand what it takes to score and win hockey games in this league.

What I really like is how he has been willing to change his game in order to be more effective. You pull for guys like that and I hope he becomes a scoring threat. Not saying I expect him to be the prolific scorer he was in the A, but if he could give the Isles a consistent 20 per year I think that would be fine.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Mavericknyc1980

The thing that showed me he is turning the corner is the fact with the game down to a minute he was able to keep the puck away from the rags as they were desperately trying to get the puck back.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:11 PM
BillD

Getting it and confidence seem to have taken hold.
I always wanted to see him get some decent PP time with good linemates, not just the last 15 secs.
I also want them to work a set play with Jeff on a stretch pass through the middle. Kid has wheels and we all have seen what he can do with that wrist shot one-on-one. If we can break him loose on a few breakaways he could be deadly.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
He is inconsistent, when he starts showing consistency we will have to see. He will go cold for a large majority of games then have a one or multi goal game then go hot for a little then the flame burns out rather quickly. It feels like he scores EVERY time in the shootout because of that wristshot he has, it's a gift. A real shame to see go to waste.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
He is inconsistent, when he starts showing consistency we will have to see. He will go cold for a large majority of games then have a one or multi goal game then go hot for a little then the flame burns out rather quickly. It feels like he scores EVERY time in the shootout because of that wristshot he has, it's a gift. A real shame to see go to waste.
You're right, but this feels a little different. Before he'd score, but be invisible when he didn't score. If you watch Tambs play now, he seems to be engaging more, in the corners, and going straight to the net. We haven't seen this before. It's still a small sample size, but its definitely a step in the right direction for him and the Isles.

Still far from working out, but from on organizational stand point it'd be really great to see the patience paying off. I'm crossing my fingers for him to keep improving and becoming a true NHLer.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:38 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
I'm as guilty of it as anybody... but perhaps it's time to stop measuring Tambellini's performance by goals. I think as long as he's skating hard, engaging physically, causing turnovers and creating opportunities for himself and his linemates- he's essentially "playing well"... at least for now. Important to remember IMHO that the first couple of years out (LAK and NYI) Blake had 5, 4 and 8 goals- before scoring 25 in 02-03.

Old
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
I'm as guilty of it as anybody... but perhaps it's time to stop measuring Tambellini's performance by goals. I think as long as he's skating hard, engaging physically, causing turnovers and creating opportunities for himself and his linemates- he's essentially "playing well"... at least for now. Important to remember IMHO that the first couple of years out (LAK and NYI) Blake had 5, 4 and 8 goals- before scoring 25 in 02-03.
I kinda agree with this, but at the same time, production needs to become a metric for our top 6 spots. A lack of scoring from all of the top six is something thats plagued the Islanders for years now. If effort alone was the goal, I wouldn't throw up in my mouth a little everytime I see Sim on the second line (or when Park was teamed with Yashin years ago)...no disrespect to either player, they're just not top 6 guys.

We need guys that embody both effort as well as ability to produce. Tambellini, in the last couple of games at least, has shown both...hope it continues.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
I kinda agree with this, but at the same time, production needs to become a metric for our top 6 spots. A lack of scoring from all of the top six is something thats plagued the Islanders for years now. If effort alone was the goal, I wouldn't throw up in my mouth a little everytime I see Sim on the second line (or when Park was teamed with Yashin years ago)...no disrespect to either player, they're just not top 6 guys.

We need guys that embody both effort as well as ability to produce. Tambellini, in the last couple of games at least, has shown both...hope it continues.
Absolutely agreed. And if Tambellini stays anchored in the 8-12 goal range for the next couple of years while playing the "human missile" style we're talking about- then he's a useful 3rd liner with some wheels. Even that's an improvement over what his career prospects looked like until recently (another 1st Round wash out) though...

Old
10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Let's create threads with all of our players' names.

Im glad someone else noticed

Tambo as of late...has been doing something he should have been doing...that is crashing the net.

Though i still think hes more of a 3rd liner than a 1st liner...even on this team

10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
You guys do bring up an interesting point, maybe that is all he will be is a third line energizer, you would think with a shot like his, he would be able to develop into a goal scorer and take the next step. Maybe there is too much pressure on him and this is his limit, I've been patient with him because I figured if he did break out, it would be a great surprise. He skates hard, but seems to shy away from positioning himself to score. There has been signs of progress, he has been crashing the net more and showing more spunk over the past three seasons.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
You guys do bring up an interesting point, maybe that is all he will be is a third line energizer, you would think with a shot like his, he would be able to develop into a goal scorer and take the next step. Maybe there is too much pressure on him and this is his limit, I've been patient with him because I figured if he did break out, it would be a great surprise. He skates hard, but seems to shy away from positioning himself to score. There has been signs of progress, he has been crashing the net more and showing more spunk over the past three seasons.
Agreed. He DOES throw his body around and play with some courage IMHO. I think what we've long interpreted as "soft perimeter" play has more to do with below average hockey sense and not knowing where to be and WHEN to be there rather than an absolute fear of going to the net or front of the slot. Anyway, let's just hope he continues to keep it simple and skate his lanes hard... He can be quite disruptive to the opposition (and useful to us) just doing that IMHO...

Old
10-31-2009, 08:00 AM
BillD

Quote:
Agreed. He DOES throw his body around and play with some courage IMHO. I think what we've long interpreted as "soft perimeter" play has more to do with below average hockey sense and not knowing where to be and WHEN to be there rather than an absolute fear of going to the net or front of the slot. Anyway, let's just hope he continues to keep it simple and skate his lanes hard... He can be quite disruptive to the opposition (and useful to us) just doing that IMHO...
Yup that's it. With his speed and shot, it is still surprising that he does not wind up in free ice available to receive a pass and get off that shot from scoring areas from the top of the circles down. He frequently positions himself away from good open receiving position. If he ever learns that, he could be a big scorer. Still time left, and goals are goals, so if he can be a 20 goal guy no matter how he does it (my God, Comrie with the weakest shot ever was a several times 20 goal scorer!!) he will have value, especially if he continues to engage physically and forecheck aggressively.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Bourne14

Tambellini was showing signs of this type of play late last year. I am happy he is picking it up again. He is hitting harder then any of the forwards when forechecking and creating alot of turnovers in the offensive zone. He has been one of the better forwards lately.

Bourne14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne14 View Post
Tambellini was showing signs of this type of play late last year. I am happy he is picking it up again. He is hitting harder then any of the forwards when forechecking and creating alot of turnovers in the offensive zone. He has been one of the better forwards lately.
He's using his speed to generate power. And he's protecting the puck and winning battles. Rangers game he single handidly kept the puck deep for like 30-45 seconds late in the third. Things like that win games. He needs to do that every shift, but he's certainly eanred himself a spot in the lineup when Hunts returns.

I mentioned this over the offseason, if he plays a Blake like game he will be effective on the third line. WIth his skill he has the ability to come in on the PP and score. Play well 5 on 5, and his skills will be an asset on the PP and even in teh shootout.

Weight hit him with a good pass last night because he was in teh right spot, he shot high and wide but the fact he put himself in position for that was good. With his shot if he gets those chances he'll score more often than not.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Islandersfan1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
He's using his speed to generate power. And he's protecting the puck and winning battles. Rangers game he single handidly kept the puck deep for like 30-45 seconds late in the third. Things like that win games. He needs to do that every shift, but he's certainly eanred himself a spot in the lineup when Hunts returns.

I mentioned this over the offseason, if he plays a Blake like game he will be effective on the third line. WIth his skill he has the ability to come in on the PP and score. Play well 5 on 5, and his skills will be an asset on the PP and even in teh shootout.

Weight hit him with a good pass last night because he was in teh right spot, he shot high and wide but the fact he put himself in position for that was good. With his shot if he gets those chances he'll score more often than not.

Agreed. I love to see the puck being passed to him and having him skate at full power toward the net and fire a wrister. He is definitely playing hard every shift and the Isles need him. I have been impressed with the overall team for the past few games and I think with Tamby only looking better he can definitely be a huge player for us. He definitely deserves a spot on the powerplay with that shot he has.

And as long as he plays hard, plays his position and makes the right decisions I will definitely be happy to watch him play for us.

Islandersfan1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Three more goals tonight.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote