HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons for Optimism

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Varada

vCash: 500
Reasons for Optimism

Yes, the Sens suffered a defeat. However, there are many reasons for optimism.

1. Aside from the first ten minutes, The Sens carried the five on five play for the remainder of the game.

2. Varada’s cruise missile Launch at Sundin. That was, in part, a retaliation agaisnt Domi's hit from behind on Hossa. It signals a new Sens attitude of sticking up for each other, and we all know that has been our Achilles heel for years.

3. Overall physical play has been dictated by the Sens. The Leafs have a quite a soft defense, with exceptions of Macabe, and Marchment. And after Roberts, Domi, Tucker, and Fitzgerald, they are surprisingly soft at forward. Nieuwendyk, and Molgilny look brittle. Ponikarovsky, Antripov, Renberg, and Reichal - well enough said.
Moreover, Fisher has manhandled Roberts on two occasions, and the Leafs have no answer for Chara. Plus the contributions of Shaefer, Neil, Phillips, and of course Varada.

4. The Leafs age. Can the geriatric Leafs handle this kind of physical play for a long series. They are going to wear down. Where was Nieuwendyk in game #2?

5. And final reason to be optimistic, Lalime is providing solid goaltending!

Last edited by Varada: 04-11-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old
04-11-2004, 09:01 AM
RoCkMaN

Send a message via ICQ to RoCkMaN
I agree. The Senators wanted to get a split in TO and they did so. In a sense I don't mind the loss because it will permit Martin to bring back Spezza for game 3. Sens in 6.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Buddah

Old
04-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varada
4. The Leafs age. Can the geriatric Leafs handle this kind of physical play for a long series. They are going to wear down. Where was Nieuwendyk in game #2?
Actually considering the excuse for the pasting the Sens took in the last game of the season i'd be more worried about Ottawa not getting "overtired"

Old
04-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Actually considering the excuse for the pasting the Sens took in the last game of the season i'd be more worried about Ottawa not getting "overtired"
The Leafs never dominated that game..as Quinn said himself it wasn't a matter of outplaying Ottawa, it was getting breaks and they just kept piling on.

Spezza will play next game I bet and have an impact...I think it's very possible they will win the next two at home. Fisher, Varada and Schaefer have all been warriors for us...especially Fisher. He handles Roberts no problem...and he's so young it's very hard to tire him out.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:27 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah
Thanks for your stunning prose. Please feel free to contribute such linguistic gems in the future.

Old
04-11-2004, 11:29 AM
HF2002

Domi's hand must be broken. At the end he was being held by Fisher and each guy had his helmet off. I thought they were gonna go, but they didn't. When has Domi ever not fought anybody, heavyweight or pacifist?

Ottawa fans can be optimistic about the split. If they had been creamed in game 2 and were completely dominated there would be reason to worry, but they held their own and were in it right until the end. I like that Varada went at Sundin to hit him. I don't think he was going for his knee since his body position looked like a forward going out to the point to block a shot (but not sliding to block it). Domi can call him whatever he wants to call him. It's funny that one dirty player calls another player dirty.

I would like to see the two hits on Tucker that caused the 2 black eyes. The one where Pothier hit him was clean - just a great hit. The other one I don't recall. And the butt end that Alfie gave to Marchment couldn't have been given to a more deserving guy. I like the fact that they are seemingly giving it out as much as they are taking it. Instead of complaining about it they are retaliating. Did they finally learn something last year?

Does anyone else think that Ottawa should run Belfour to take him out of the series? We all know they'd run Lalime and take him out. I'd take Prusek vs Kidd any day of the week! Of course I'm joking, but last night we saw how important Belfour is to the Leafs. If he isn't awesome each game the Leafs are in trouble.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Buddah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
The Leafs never dominated that game..as Quinn said himself it wasn't a matter of outplaying Ottawa, it was getting breaks and they just kept piling on.

Spezza will play next game I bet and have an impact...I think it's very possible they will win the next two at home. Fisher, Varada and Schaefer have all been warriors for us...especially Fisher. He handles Roberts no problem...and he's so young it's very hard to tire him out.

Handled him so well that Roberts scored two goals, eh?

Old
04-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Spezza

Was he on the ice for those goals?

Old
04-11-2004, 12:32 PM
attis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza

Will he be on the ice next time Roberts score another two?
As long as Roberts can score two per game it doesn't really matter how he is held the rest of the game.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
He was for the even strength goal. No idea about when it comes to the PP goal.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
He was for the even strength goal. No idea about when it comes to the PP goal.
Fisher wasn't on the ice. It was Alfie's line. Check the box score.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Fisher wasn't on the ice. It was Alfie's line. Check the box score.
Yeah, I mistook Fisher for White again. No idea why but I do that a lot.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Buffalo Stylee

I think Ottawa has reason to be optomistic since they split the series in Toronto so far.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:26 PM
JnJosh

Send a message via MSN to JnJosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varada
Yes, the Sens suffered a defeat. However, there are many reasons for optimism.

1. Aside from the first ten minutes, The Sens carried the five on five play for the remainder of the game.

2. Varada’s cruise missile Launch at Sundin. That was, in part, a retaliation agaisnt Domi's hit from behind on Hossa. It signals a new Sens attitude of sticking up for each other, and we all know that has been our Achilles heel for years.

3. Overall physical play has been dictated by the Sens. The Leafs have a quite a soft defense, with exceptions of Macabe, and Marchment. And after Roberts, Domi, Tucker, and Fitzgerald, they are surprisingly soft at forward. Nieuwendyk, and Molgilny look brittle. Ponikarovsky, Antripov, Renberg, and Reichal - well enough said.
Moreover, Fisher has manhandled Roberts on two occasions, and the Leafs have no answer for Chara. Plus the contributions of Shaefer, Neil, Phillips, and of course Varada.

5. And final reason to be optimistic, Lalime is providing solid goaltending!
1. Can't really control SOME of it man, you either have it all, or you dont have it. I like the way the leafs can score on the 5on5, and sens can't.

2. Oh, and i also like the fact when the sens know they're going to loose, they whale on players. Nice end game session though, fighting Domi, please.

3.Manhandled roberts because he's alot better. Chara, no one can touch him, pronger would be the only player in the NHL to want to touch it. I really hope Domi lays out that excuse for a player.

4. With age comes beauty my friend, you have a lot of playoff experience with the sens. Oh and my oh my they choke every year. Nice!

5. Solid goaltending, or solid defence. I will give you guys on defence, getting one past chara is hard, Lalime has nothing special. Please, if he is doing solid, what did belfour do last night?

You're not afraid the sens lost either I bet. I was afraid when the leafs did, i openly admit it. Why dont you come out of your closet

Old
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Chandler55

Ah let them have their optimism lol, most of the points are right. The only one I have a problem with and why I'm replying is Nieuwendyk. This guy is not brittle, this guy is probably the fastest player in the league right now when you look at what this guy does. What's his faceoff percentage? Leafs got a lot of defensive zone faceoffs just because of Newy.

Overall physical game dictated by Sens? I'm sorry man you're out to lunch on that one. They are doing better than the last three series' they met up though.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Egil

We are making the Leafs pay a physical price. Hossa laughing about the Domi hit was priceless, as was the shot of Tucker, in his FIRST game, getting two black eyes. Game 3 will be ours, as their is NO WAY that the Leafs can keep this up. If we can just lean a little more on their defense, and get the shots through the traffic, its clean sailing, IMHO.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:03 PM
gbl1p

Everything stated in the original post is a moot point if they can't solve Belfour. The only reason the Leafs won that game is because of Belfour. The only reason why the Leafs stand a chance of taking this series is Belfour. The Sens need to crash the net hard, not be afraid to get in Belfours face, make contact. They need traffic in the slot so Eddie can't see. He saves what he sees.

If they can get the Eagle off his game, early, by making contact, blocking his view, rile him up by bumping and crashing, I like the Sens chances. The leafs will be battered after this series.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:11 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler55
Ah let them have their optimism lol, most of the points are right. The only one I have a problem with and why I'm replying is Nieuwendyk. This guy is not brittle, this guy is probably the fastest player in the league right now when you look at what this guy does. What's his faceoff percentage? Leafs got a lot of defensive zone faceoffs just because of Newy.

Overall physical game dictated by Sens? I'm sorry man you're out to lunch on that one. They are doing better than the last three series' they met up though.

Actually, Ottawa has been dominating physically. T.O. has made a couple of hits, but then they disappear for long stretches.

The Leafs gave up in game 1, Ottawa never gave up last night.
So far the Leafs have been counting on the 1989 Flames to win it for them. Well, if they didn't win it for ya in 1993.... what the hell would make you think they'd have a chance as senior citizens?

So far both games look pretty similar:
1st period: Ottawa comes out like Bambi on ice for the first time. Ugly passes, bad defense, tripping over their own feet (first 10 minutes anyways). Toronto takes advantage
2nd: Where are the Leafs? They've disappeared! Ottawa comes on strong.
3rd: Leafs where no where to be seen in game one. Last night they struggled to keep Ottawa off the scoresheet.

If Ottawa can just avoid playing hungover in the 1st period, Game 3 is ours.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Chistov23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCkMaN
I agree. The Senators wanted to get a split in TO and they did so. In a sense I don't mind the loss because it will permit Martin to bring back Spezza for game 3. Sens in 6.
Those were my thoughts after game one, with the home team winning the remainder of the games which makes sens in 6. Also Spezza returning on home ice to add some offensive spark.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:16 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
Everything stated in the original post is a moot point if they can't solve Belfour. The only reason the Leafs won that game is because of Belfour. The only reason why the Leafs stand a chance of taking this series is Belfour. The Sens need to crash the net hard, not be afraid to get in Belfours face, make contact. They need traffic in the slot so Eddie can't see. He saves what he sees.

If they can get the Eagle off his game, early, by making contact, blocking his view, rile him up by bumping and crashing, I like the Sens chances. The leafs will be battered after this series.
Agreed, you always know the Sens are toast when they stop going to the net and start taking useless perimeter shots.
Hell, they made CuJo look like Hasek taped to Luongo, taped to Brodeur playing in goal at the same time.
That's how they gave up games 6 & 7 two years ago.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Buddah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
We are making the Leafs pay a physical price. Hossa laughing about the Domi hit was priceless, as was the shot of Tucker, in his FIRST game, getting two black eyes. Game 3 will be ours, as their is NO WAY that the Leafs can keep this up. If we can just lean a little more on their defense, and get the shots through the traffic, its clean sailing, IMHO.

How can you assure such a thing? Age is a non-factor, it is how one prepares for the games, ones physical shape, and the intensity the players bring to the table. Yesterdays game was a must win in the Leaf players eyes and how did they respond? With a 2-0 victory. The last game of the season was a must win and how did they respond? With a 6-0 victory.

But... I understand you need to have blind faith in your team considering previous playoff performances.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Smeagol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p

Totally agree dude belfour must be solved because he is the kind of guy that will steal games for you

We all know that 5 on 5 sens are better, we have a better Defence, offence, Powerplay,everything just goaltending is the issue

saying that im happy to see lalime get back on his game

if we can just take these next 2 games

leafs = old motivated pieces of crap

and domi needs some rhinoplasty

Old
04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
thesiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah
But... I understand you need to have blind faith in your team considering previous playoff performances.
Must... hold... back....

Can you at least not try to troll? kthxbye.

Old
04-11-2004, 03:12 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
especially Fisher. He handles Roberts no problem.
Roberts 2 -sens 0

Hopefully fischer continues to dominate roberts. :lol

Closed Thread