HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

55 points and a +22 ... Jason Spezza healthy scratch?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
HF2002

vCash: 500
There sure are a lot of experts around here. I wonder how JM suddenly became a bad coach? I guess he hasn't won the Jack Adams trophy in a while so he no longer know's what he's doing. Unless Scotty Bowman is posting on the forum, JM has more NHL coaching experience than all of us combined. And then John Muckler has more experience than JM and all of us combined. He may get fired if they don't win the Cup, but it won't be because he's suddenly a bad coach. Hell, they just gave him an extension.

As for Spezza, he had an up and down season. He played excellently at times and other times he thought he could do it all alone, while using the same damn move each time. It's not hard to stop him when you know exactly what he's about to do. He played more and more selfishly the closer the playoffs got. Near the end of the season he had actually started to stick handle his way out of the defensive zone instead of passing it to an open teammate - and by this I mean a little dipsy doodle, not carrying the puck out.

Make no mistake, Ottawa is in a "win right now" mode. If the coach can't trust him to play sound hockey at this point of the season you have to wonder how his teammates see him. I'm guessing it's worse than JM.

Spezza can help this team offensively, but does his production allow the coach to over look the defensive errors? Not yet.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27
You think Spezza will be better than Thornton, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Gaborik, etc?
It's possible. Kovalchuk gets his points from being on the ice all the time...and being out for every minute of the PP. Gaborik I don't think can improve much more..Heatley may never be the same after the accident...and Thornton isn't consistent enough imo.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:24 PM
saa25

Spezza had a great game 6 against NJ last year, pretty much forced game 7. Martin should give him more responsibility in the playoffs, not as much to lose at this point...

Closed Thread