HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Disinfecting Gear

Old
10-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Elshupacabra

vCash: 500
Disinfecting Gear

A few weeks ago my friend got MRSA. He could have picked it up just about anywhere obviously but we were at the rink right around the time that stuff started popping up and knowing how locker rooms can be, I'd probably be pretty safe in saying that there is a good chance he got it there.

It looked like it sucked quite a bit for him so I've kinda been paying a little more attention as far as cleanliness goes. I play in a men's league once a week so I don't spend a ton of time there but still, neither does he. So I've been spraying all my gear down with Lysol after every game and I haven't seen any ill effects yet but I don't really want to come to find out that it makes all my gear break down 200% faster or something like that.

Does this sound like a good course of action or is there a better way to go about it?

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:32 AM
CanadaBacon

You get it more from your eq then being in a dressing room.

I just use Febreeze antibacterial spray.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 09:53 AM
pfloyd75

I use a 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water mix in a spray bottle and lightly mist my equipment with it. Seems to work ok and has no ill-effects after several years.

I'd like to use fabreeze too but I've sworn off the stuff until they can make a bottle that doesn't dribble all over your hand when you spray it.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
kickassdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I use a 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water mix in a spray bottle and lightly mist my equipment with it. Seems to work ok and has no ill-effects after several years.
I've been doing the exact same thing for 2 seasons and my gear is in great shape and really doesn't smell at all. After I mist the gear, I put a few dryer sheets on each item as they help to wick the moisture and mildly scent everything.

I've gotta say, it pains me every time I hear (or see someone post) "the smell is a part of the game." Totally bogus - that smell is a sign of some serious bacteria going to work on your gear, waiting for the chance to get into your system. No place in the game at all.

kickassdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post

I'd like to use fabreeze too but I've sworn off the stuff until they can make a bottle that doesn't dribble all over your hand when you spray it.

So true

Old
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
CaptBrannigan

I use some stuff that goes by the name Stops Sweat Odors, or something like that. I'll dig it out of the bag later and get the exact name. Regardless, it's the best product I've ever tried. Works about 500% better than febreeze on removing the embedded odors.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassdrummer View Post
I've been doing the exact same thing for 2 seasons and my gear is in great shape and really doesn't smell at all. After I mist the gear, I put a few dryer sheets on each item as they help to wick the moisture and mildly scent everything.

I've gotta say, it pains me every time I hear (or see someone post) "the smell is a part of the game." Totally bogus - that smell is a sign of some serious bacteria going to work on your gear, waiting for the chance to get into your system. No place in the game at all.
The smell is part of the game.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

To those of you who live in an apartment or a place with no garage or outside storage, what do you do with your stuff? I have no choice right now but to keep it fermenting in my trunk

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:04 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
To those of you who live in an apartment or a place with no garage or outside storage, what do you do with your stuff? I have no choice right now but to keep it fermenting in my trunk
Given that my storage room is a little full at the moment, I had to resort to bringing my gear in my bedroom last week...

I take pretty good care of my gear though, so it doesn't smell too bad. I cracked the window open for a day and packed it all up when everything was dry the following day.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:43 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Ideally, I put it out on my patio. Spread out so it dries as best as possible. No spray or anything.

But if it's wet outside then it goes down into my storage locker down in the building basement. I notice that on the patio tends to be less smelly in the open air.

If I'm feeling uber lazy and my gear isn't too bad, I sometimes leave it in the entry way of my apartment and spray it with anti-odor stuff I picked up at the local hockey store.

I never leave my gear sealed up in the bag after a game. Always make sure it airs out.

Took it to be ozone sanitized a few weeks ago. Does a great job. Will probably do it every few months. Usually I let it soak in a tub with detergent, rinse very thorough, then let dry.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 04:30 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Shockdoctor bag. And as a bonus, stuff getsdried out quickly enough where bacteria never has a chance to grow.

Antibacterial sprays are great, but drying your gear out after each and every use keeps the stuff from growing in the first place. Doesn't stop the salts and such in sweat from building up, so you will have some smell, but it should never be to the point where you can smell it from any sort of distance.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:14 AM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassdrummer View Post

I do the same thing as well, but my gear is starting to smell, and I'm not sure what else to do about it since I already spray it down and spread it out to dry after each ice time.

Quote:
Mine is in my bedroom. Luckily I have a pretty decent sized bedroom.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Buy one of those hockey racks and get some anti-bacterial spray.

Old
10-30-2009, 02:33 AM
BigT2002

Lysol or Clorox Bleach wipes.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I do the same thing as well, but my gear is starting to smell, and I'm not sure what else to do about it since I already spray it down and spread it out to dry after each ice time.

Mine is in my bedroom. Luckily I have a pretty decent sized bedroom.
Dang, what does the girlfriend say ?

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:03 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanFan05 View Post
Dang, what does the girlfriend say ?
I'm a chick, so no girlfriend and no complaints

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I'm a chick, so no girlfriend and no complaints
thats awsome!! chicks with smelly gear!!!

I use this stuff we have at the firehouse that we use to disinfect blood and stuff, its called micro bac, its made by ecolab. I dont know if its commercially available, but it works well. kills bacteria, and knocks down the smell too.

Last edited by rinkrat22: 10-30-2009 at 10:35 PM.
rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

I spray rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle (not diluted) into things like the elbow pads.

My CCM Vector shinguards have velcroed in shin padding that you can throw in the washing machine. After they are dried I put them back in. My Farrell shoulder pads are also machine washable and hang dried. I also wear a Farrell 5 pad compression short girdle that is alaso machine washable and hang dried.

I also air out my gear after each session by spreading it out on the floor of my bedroom with fan on.

Whatever can be machine washed is done that way. I like to have non-smelly clean gear when I play.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
DevsFan84

I use a shock doctor bag, which helps to dry the gear quickly in the winter. However, it will still start to stink eventually.

I spray everything down with a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol and vinegar (vinegar helps with the smell) and then put it in the bag. Remove the insoles from your skates and spray them down with this.

This is obvious, but often ignored- wash everything that can be washed every time you play. Jerseys, socks, underarmour, etc.

Your bag should be a method of transporting your gear from the rink and back, not a storage medium. The more time you keep it out of the bag the better. I realize this is easier said than done.

When stuff starts to get really bad, you can wash it. I am a goalie and there are different ways to wash our stuff, but you can find directions on how to do it online.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:08 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I spray my gear with Febreze anti-microbial after every game. I'm trying to kill the microbes that cause the smell rather than just kill the smell. I also wash my shin, elbow and shoulder pads about once every 10 games (having a HE washer with no tumbler in the midle helps). I buy new gloves about once a year since you can't wash them and the Febreze only does so much considering what's going in and out of those things. Everything gets aired out in my garage and if I have a longer break in between league games I'll spray it with Febreze the day of my game so it's not too stiff.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I always, no matter what, disinfect my gear after the game or practice. Fill up my tub with water and add about a cup of bleach in it. Swirl the gear around...then hang dry.

11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
87vert

When I was visiting my family in Virginia Beach last month we went to the local rink "Chilled Ponds" in Chesapeake for pickup. They actually had a gear machine there. Looked like a big pizza oven. You opened the door and loaded all your stuff into the baskets, put in $20 bucks and it cleaned it all. We didnt have much time after pickup for me to try it out but I thought it was a great concept. I wish my rinks had something like that.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I always, no matter what, disinfect my gear after the game or practice. Fill up my tub with water and add about a cup of bleach in it. Swirl the gear around...then hang dry.
Skates too? I wanted to do that to my skates but wasn't sure if I could

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
gluvhand

Have to be very careful cleaning some gear with water. You may be doing more long term bad than good. Hang drying doesn't work 100% and you wind up with mildewing that isn't obvious until it's too late. By that point the paddings and nylons could be breaking down.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
csohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
When I was visiting my family in Virginia Beach last month we went to the local rink "Chilled Ponds" in Chesapeake for pickup. They actually had a gear machine there. Looked like a big pizza oven. You opened the door and loaded all your stuff into the baskets, put in $20 bucks and it cleaned it all. We didnt have much time after pickup for me to try it out but I thought it was a great concept. I wish my rinks had something like that.

The rinks here have this. It is called Sani Sport and it uses ozone to kill the bateria. They charge $27 and it takes about 20 minutes.

csohio is offline   Reply With Quote