Steve Ott suspended 2 games

Old
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Steve Ott suspended 2 games

Quote:
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk just confirmed that the NHL has suspended Steve Ott for two games for his hip check on Blues defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo Saturday in St. Louis.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...two-games.html

2 game losing streak coming up.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
****ing garbage!!!!!!!!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Caseman

Reputation suspension. "Sloppy seconds" all over again.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Despite a reasonable statement by Bob McKenzie showing Ott's forward motion into the hipchick over Scuderi's backwards skating into his own zone. You look at Scuderi's and see his clear intent to injure, Ott's was not nearly as bad.

The league needs to figure out their system for suspensions, it's becoming a joke.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
The league needs to figure out their system for suspensions, it's becoming a joke.
That definitely goes without saying. 100% agreed.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Chad_

I wrote this in another thread, but I was listening to NHL Live earlier and Keith Jones was on the air. He said the Ott suspension wasn't due to the area of the hip check or the knee on knee with Crombeen, something that would have been far more reasonable in my opinion, but rather because the hit on Cola was late.

The hit was late, but was it really that much later than countless other hits in the NHL in every single game? If not, and I contend it wasn't, is the NHL going to suspend players for late hits now? If so, and if the NHL is consistent (heh, I know), I'm guessing there will be several teams rolling out just three lines soon due to lack of players.

When you take into consideration Scuderi's hit resulting in just a fine, followed by the NHL's 'Wheel o' Discipline,' it's confusing to follow the rationale of the league with respect to what is and what isn't a suspendable action.

Campbell insists a player's history plays a large part. I don't disagree with looking at the history of a player before deciding upon a punishment, however, a bad hit is a bad hit, regardless of whether or not there is a history or not.

Avery, for example, was suspended by the NHL for words and Campbell cited his history for justification for the suspension. The problem was Avery didn't have any suspension history.

In other words, the NHL will simply make history up when it feels obliged to do so. Why didn't it make up history to suspend Scuderi on an open-ice hip check that was far more egregious than an open-ice hip check Ott levied?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
That hit was not late. It happened within the same second on the clock that Colaiacovo released the puck, and Colaiacovo was eligible to be hit. If that's the reasoning, that's b.s.

Now, Ott deserves a game or two for the knee probably, so I guess it doesn't matter what they say it's for. But the reasoning is definitely suspect.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
That hit was not late. It happened within the same second on the clock that Colaiacovo released the puck, and Colaiacovo was eligible to be hit. If that's the reasoning, that's b.s.

Now, Ott deserves a game or two for the knee probably, so I guess it doesn't matter what they say it's for. But the reasoning is definitely suspect.
I don't care to watch the replay again and look at the clock, but that's the exact reasoning Keith Jones said it was. He didn't agree with the NHL's call, at least in terms of the competing hip checks over the weekend, but he stated more than once that was Campbell's reasoning behind the Ott suspension.

Oh, and since this thread will likely get more into the discussion of the NHL's evolving suspension policy, Jones thought Richards should have been suspended for his hit on Booth and made the case Richards' hit was much worse than Scuderi's or Ott's. I don't agree, and I thought Scuderi's was the worst of the three by far, but that's what Jones said.

Old
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Kritter471

I don't doubt what he says. I doubt the NHL's sanity.

Old
10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Chad_

What sanity? Every single NHL fan, no matter where you sit on an individual disciplinary decision, must realize the league wings it too much and doesn't have the slightest bit of consistency.

Old
10-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Kritter471

I really do think Campbell has a Wheel O' Justice in his office, actually. Complete with Vanna White.

Old
10-27-2009, 03:02 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
I don't understand this. I didn't see the game live, but after watching the available replays the hit appears completely clean.

It wasn't late, it wasn't too low, it wasn't anything illegal. It was a hip check.

If this is the way the NHL is going to choose to operate they need to send out memos to each team with a list of players who are allowed to make hits and those who are not. Then at the very least there would be some sense of what to expect and each player would know what is legal for them personally.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 04:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

I love it, Ott basically tells the NHL to **** off:

(on whether he'll change his game)
Quote:
“Not one bit,” Ott said. “The only thing I can do is continue to throw textbook hits.”

Old
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
josra33

This wasnt nearly as bad as Richards hit. Richards hit was BRUTAL!!! And he gets nothing!!! *********!!!! AND IM NOT EVEN A DALLAS FAN!

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
This wasnt nearly as bad as Richards hit. Richards hit was BRUTAL!!! And he gets nothing!!! *********!!!! AND IM NOT EVEN A DALLAS FAN!
Because Richards is not a repeat offender and he's extremely loved by the Flyers owners and management. If the league were to suspend Richards, the owners and management will be all over Colin Campbell's @**.

Last edited by Ogi1Kenobi: 10-27-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 06:07 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I love it, Ott basically tells the NHL to **** off:

(on whether he'll change his game)
Haha, I said the exact same thing to a friend earlier.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 06:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I read this theory elsewhere:

Ott was really suspended for the Crombeen knee (and if he was suspended for anything, that was much more egregious), but the league announced it as being about the Colaiacovo hit because making issue out of the Crombeen knee and Crombeen's instigator penalty puts then in a situation where Murray probably gets fined and Crombeen gets a mandatory suspension. They let that go, but still punish Ott.

Dunno. I thought the Cola hit was brutal, but probably not illegal. The Crombeen knee was blatant and its a complete joke that Crombeen gets an instigator penalty after that. (Or that Pietro gets a 4 minute double-minor for....what?)

And of course, the 11/25 rematch will be great to see...but I won't get to because of the Direct TV / Versus debacle.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Look what Sydor had to say:

http://www.bnd.com/blues/story/980128.html
Quote:
"I guess that's old hockey, just hit the guy shoulder to shoulder," Blues defenseman Darryl Sydor said of Ott's hit on Colaiacovo. "You don't have to bend down after that. The one on (Crombeen) I think he stuck his leg out.
"That's the way Steve plays though, he has to play that way to be effective."
I am so glad he is not on Dallas anymore!

Old
10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

^ I guess that makes a little sense. I wouldn't have a problem if Ott was suspended for the hit on Crombeen. I don't think he particularly stuck his leg out or was trying to hurt his old teammate, but I have little tolerance for knee-on-knee collisions that can be possibly avoided.

Still, it's not OK for the league to say one thing while meaning another.

Last edited by piqued: 10-27-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: verb tense fail
Old
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I read this theory elsewhere:

Ott was really suspended for the Crombeen knee (and if he was suspended for anything, that was much more egregious), but the league announced it as being about the Colaiacovo hit because making issue out of the Crombeen knee and Crombeen's instigator penalty puts then in a situation where Murray probably gets fined and Crombeen gets a mandatory suspension. They let that go, but still punish Ott.

Dunno. I thought the Cola hit was brutal, but probably not illegal. The Crombeen knee was blatant and its a complete joke that Crombeen gets an instigator penalty after that. (Or that Pietro gets a 4 minute double-minor for....what?)

And of course, the 11/25 rematch will be great to see...but I won't get to because of the Direct TV / Versus debacle.
That doesn't make sense because the league can waive the instigator in the last five minutes fun if they think the player wasn't put out there to instigate a fight. Crombeen, who clearly deserved an instigator (and Ott deserved to be jumped, don't get me wrong, but it's a textbook instigator penalty that was caught on camera [as opposed to the Pietrangelo mess which cut in halfway through]) instigated the fight in response to something on the ice, not because he was put out there to do it.

In fact, suspending Ott for the kneeing gives more credence to the league waiving the instigator penalties.

Old
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
vofty

Morrow's take on the hit. Pretty much says what we have been saying all along
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...344-2008-09#at
Quote:
I actually haven’t seen the hit. I am going to defend my teammate just because I am loyal to him. From what I saw, in my opinion, this last week that didn’t get suspensions, I was surprised that Steve was the one. I know there are issues with repeat offenders and I haven’t seen what their reasoning for it was, if was a low hit. A few of us were talking and we thought the hit on [B.J.] Crombeen may have been the worse of the two. Seeing the [Rob] Scuderi hit and replays of the [Mike] Richards hit and all those things that kind of got passed by, to see Steve get the worst of it is disappointing for me as a teammate. ... We feel for Steve. He shows up and plays hard for us. He’s ended up on the worse side of a few of these calls in the past.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
it is still ridiculous that Scuderi just got a fine. NHL has the worst discipline policy

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
None More Negative*

This is just bs b/c I have bought tickets to home games this month for the Ott-tober fest to see Ott play, first he was injured now he's suspended, the Stars own me some money b/c I bought them to see Ott. b/s suspension, I agree with Ott's sentiment about the suspension.

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Morrow's take on the hit. Pretty much says what we have been saying all along
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...344-2008-09#at
That is why Morrow is the Captain!!!!

Old
10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
None More Negative*

This is just bs b/c I have bought tickets to home games this month for the Ott-tober fest to see Ott play, first he was injured now he's suspended, the Stars own me some money b/c I bought them to see Ott. b/s suspension, I agree with Ott's sentiment about the suspension.

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote