HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RRunners final stats and some thoughts.

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
RRunners final stats and some thoughts.

Toronto Roadrunners

Wright, Jamie 78 25 30 55 +9 101
Salmelainen, Tony 58 19 25 44 +11 27 .759PPG
Rita, Jani 64 17 24 41 +7 18
Lynch, Doug 74 11 25 36 +10 77 .486PPG
DiCasmirro, Nate 71 17 18 35 -8 37
Hinz, Chad 74 11 23 34 -18 50
Bishai, Mike 48 11 22 33 +6 18
Cullen, Joe 69 14 16 30 +11 30 .435PPG
Hunter, J.J. 56 12 16 28 0 53
Woywitka, Jeff 53 4 18 22 -5 41 .415PPG
McAslan, Sean 62 12 15 27 -6 66
Luoma, Mikko 65 4 22 26 +8 54
Henrich, Michael 58 14 10 24 +11 28
Roche, Dave 60 7 13 20 -11 88
Winchester, Brad 65 13 6 19 -9 85
Allen, Bobby 56 5 10 15 -2 18
Smith, Dan 66 4 9 13 +2 41
Baum, Dan 37 4 6 10 +7 154
Thompson, Rocky 69 1 8 9 0 196
Hogan, Peter 23 0 5 5 +1 23
Roy, Mathieu 30 0 2 2 -7 46
Horacek, Jan 11 0 1 1 -8 20
Stortini, Zachery 2 0 0 0 +2 7
Plourde, Jean-Francois 1 0 0 0 -2 0
Platt, Jason 1 0 0 0 -1 0

GOALIES
Morrison, Michael 27 12 8 2 2.52 .913
Moss, Tyler 16 7 9 0 2.64 .922
Madden, Chris 7 1 5 1 3.41 .867

I think the most impressive prospect was Lynch, and by a fairly impressive margin. Woywitka's skills aren't reflected in points, and he certainly had an adjustment period when he came over after the deal. Having said that, the Oilers are very high on him and the one thing we know about the Lowe era is that they're pretty solid in terms of identifying dmen.

In terms of fwd's, Tony Salmelainen had a pretty impressive year. Rita's ppg #'s in his three AHL seasons are .553, .750, .641. Jani has now played over 200 AHL games. Tick tock, baby.

I hilighted Joe Cullen because he had a terrific second half of the season. As a matter of fact, here is the 2nd half splits for some of the fwds:

Tony Salmelainen 32gp, 9-18-27
Joe Cullen 40gp, 10-14-24
Jani Rita 31gp, 9-10-19
Brad Winchester 34gp, 10-6-16
Michael Henrich 29gp, 8-5-13

I wonder which of those 5 will play in the most NHL games.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Woywitka a -5? If his skills arent reflected in points, what exacly are they reflected in?

Old
04-11-2004, 12:27 PM
GorillazXL

I've been a huge supporter of Jani Rita, but ever since being sent down for the last time, I think that's the straw that broke the camel's back kindda thing... no effort in the final 20+ games . Salmo who is of the same age and plays the same position who never got any attention as a pospect until last year, is still battling and has shown tremendous effort when he's in the Oilers silks. Its disappointing that Rita didn't pan out. I wasn't expecting a Jari Kurri type of player, but I was expecting a solid NHL 3rd-2nd liner.

Doug Lynch, shows what hard work, and a never say die attitude can do. I was a little bit worried when in Juniors he got traded to the Chiefs and his production level basically plummetted, especially when he was considered more of a puck moving dman. But since, he's been making think twice about passing him in the first round.

GXL

Old
04-11-2004, 12:31 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
Woywitka a -5? If his skills arent reflected in points, what exacly are they reflected in?
Yikes, it one bad stat... considering he's out usually against the top opponent lines. I wouldn't worry about this kid, he is exactly as everyone describes him... Nothing spectacular but nothing below good. From his play in juniors (WJC..etc...) to AHL his play has been steady, sure he has defensive lapses but once he finds his offensive game (and he will) you'll like this kid.

GXL

Old
04-11-2004, 12:51 PM
IceDragoon

OK.
I'm working on old neuro-pathways here guys (so I could be remembering something completely different), but...
Wasn't Woywitka a minus player before we got him?
Didn't he go on quite a slide while he was adapting?
Hasn't he made a pretty steady climb since then?

Old
04-11-2004, 01:30 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
OK.
I'm working on old neuro-pathways here guys (so I could be remembering something completely different), but...
Wasn't Woywitka a minus player before we got him?
Didn't he go on quite a slide while he was adapting?
Hasn't he made a pretty steady climb since then?
Woywitka's stats with the Phantoms were GP 29 G 0 A 6 PTS 6 +/- 0. With Toronto it was GP 53 G 4 A 18 PTS 22 +/- -5. So while it looks like the offense came alive for him after the trade, the defence suffered a little. Which is understandable considering this was the first trade he was involved in in any level of hockey.

The thing that caught my attention about Jeff's first season of professional hockey was he's now played 82 games (53 with Toronto, 29 with Philly). That's 82 AHL games for a guy one year removed from playing in the WHL. It will be interesting to see how his conditioning holds up in the playoffs, but I have a feeling that wont be a problem. I think the Oilers got themselves a gem here who instantly solidifies their D prospect pool, a guy who will be able to handle those future #3 minutes just fine.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Lowetide

Keep in mind that Woywitka is 20. imo Lynch's tremendous season maybe obscures the view.

Old
04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
jadeddog

as much as lowe and mactavish talk about rita and how they still expect him to be a solid NHLer, i think the writing is on the wall for this kid..... i think he'll be traded sometime in the offseason, unless he is willing to sign another 2 way contract for cheap cheap...... its gonna be interesting to see if salmo, woywitka or lynch get long looks next year, i wouldnt be surprised to see salmo come up for long stretches and im kinda expecting either lynch or woywitka to get 30-40 games next season as well

brewer, semenov, MAB, woywitka, lynch and maybe even greene...... man the future is looking good for edmonton on defence..... i still think they need to try and keep smith (if need be at the cost of losing isbister) though for at least 1-2 more seasons..... it would allow brewer some time to fully take over the #1 role, and give semenov, lynch and woywitka some time to get ready for the 3-5 roles (we'd still have staios i think for the #2, at least until one of the kids shows their ready for the #2).... all in all, the defence is looking pretty good.... now if we could just get at least ONE sniper on this team....... ah who am i kidding, that aint never gonna happen again

Old
04-11-2004, 02:07 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Woywitka's stats with the Phantoms were GP 29 G 0 A 6 PTS 6 +/- 0. With Toronto it was GP 53 G 4 A 18 PTS 22 +/- -5. So while it looks like the offense came alive for him after the trade, the defence suffered a little. Which is understandable considering this was the first trade he was involved in in any level of hockey.

The thing that caught my attention about Jeff's first season of professional hockey was he's now played 82 games (53 with Toronto, 29 with Philly). That's 82 AHL games for a guy one year removed from playing in the WHL. It will be interesting to see how his conditioning holds up in the playoffs, but I have a feeling that wont be a problem. I think the Oilers got themselves a gem here who instantly solidifies their D prospect pool, a guy who will be able to handle those future #3 minutes just fine.
Oh well...
I guess I had 2 out of 3.
Good call on the 82 games.
Gotta love endurance.
I agree with your gem assessment.

Old
04-13-2004, 08:35 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
If it helps at all, Wywoitka was like -12 after about 20 games.

Most of that was because he picked up all his points on the pp in the early part, and he didn't seem to be on for any even strength goals for his first 20 games (obviously an exaggeration, but his -12 didn't seem as bad as say Horcoff's -12 early this season).

Jeff had a great year for Toronto. Let's not forget that he is a young guy getting major minutes on a very young team. His offensive contribution for the Runners was undeniable, and he did improve a heck of a lot in both ends during his tenure in Toronto.

Ward and Beukeboom have both done a fantastic job with these youngsters, as well as the vets.

Old
04-13-2004, 08:49 AM
leafaholix*

Doug Lynch is a stud.

You're lucky to have him... I almost thought... "who would I rather have, Lynch or Colaiacovo?"

Then I came to my senses.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Doug Lynch is a stud.

You're lucky to have him... I almost thought... "who would I rather have, Lynch or Colaiacovo?"

Then I came to my senses.
I've seen about 5 RR games this year, and I must say that Lynch stole the show for me in those games. I am so stoked about the Oil defense in three years time, as I think that Brewer, MAB, Semenov, Woyawitka, Lynch, and Greene will make an awesome young group (adding some veteran a la Smith would complete the seven nicely).

Its strange, I went from feeling defense is the weakpoint of the future Oilers to the strength of the Oilers in a years time. Nicely done Lowe... now if only he could do the same for goaltending, I'd be a happy man.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
Its strange, I went from feeling defense is the weakpoint of the future Oilers to the strength of the Oilers in a years time. Nicely done Lowe... now if only he could do the same for goaltending, I'd be a happy man.
While he did acquire Woywitka, which was big for our future defensive depth IMO, but it wasn't all Lowe.

Two huge reasons our defensive depth looks so much better is the season Lynch had and the way Bergy finished out the year.

Even without Woywitka, we'd be sitting pretty good on D right now.

Hopefully, a couple goalies from within our system can step up next year, so KLo can use his trading chips to either move up in the draft or find another scorer somewhere.

If JDD looks good in Toronto next year, Morrison has a big year and if Fisher takes the reins in Denver and has a big year, we could be looking quite a bit better in our prospect goaltending depth.

As an aside, if Moss stays in Toronto next year, who plays in the ECHL, Morrison or JDD???

Old
04-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
As an aside, if Moss stays in Toronto next year, who plays in the ECHL, Morrison or JDD???
I would say Morrison, although JDD would likely get more minutes in the ECHL...although the skill level and challenge is a definite notch below that of the AHL. It's a sawoff.

IMO the AHL skill level would serve him better.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:51 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I would say Morrison, although JDD would likely get more minutes in the ECHL...although the skill level and challenge is a definite notch below that of the AHL. It's a sawoff.

IMO the AHL skill level would serve him better.
Honestly, I would send JDD down and let him get peppered in the ECHL.

He's used to being a starting goaltender, and unless you think he is ready to share the starting duties (around 40 starts), I think him being in the ECHL is a good idea.

If he starts off very strong then maybe you change the plan...

But to be honest, I wouldn't mind seing Morrison start next season in Toronto. He's a really good goalie, and I think he could handle the starting job.

I would do this:

keep Moss and Morrison and platoon them in the AHL, alternating starts. Send JDD down to the ECHL. Give him a month or two and see how he does. If around Christmas time you like what he is doing, release him to play for the Canada team in the Spengler cup and when he gets back do something with Moss and go with JDD and Morrison. If JDD is struggling to adjust to the pro game (not the end of the world), you let him stay in the ECHL for the rest of the year.

Of course, I am not a GM, and I don't know if all of this is even plausible, but JDD in the ECHL for one season isn't the end of the year, and he needs at least 40 starts, somewhere.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
Ya but Woywitka had a really tough start in TO when his +/- plumetted. He really came on strong. Moreover, 22 points in 55 games as a 20 year old defensmen in the AHL is nothing to scoff at. He is a real good player with really good skills. I have no problem with the +/- rating considering his situation and how strong he has developed in his first pro season.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
barto

At the time of the Woywitka trade (who was it we traded for him? Oh yeah... ) I remember reading somewhere that he was the LAST d-man cut at Philly's camp last September, so he was very close to making the team there (at least it's a fairly reasonable conclusion to make). And it sounds like he's improved with his time in the AHL this year, so it definitely looks good for the Oilers' D next year (or whenever play resumes).

What's our depth at Center like in Toronto for next year? I could see Lowe trying to upgrade our center prospects for next year - once Stoll stuck with the Oilers this year (at first, largely due to the Comrie hold-out and then the Reasoner injury) that took away the best Center-ice guy for the Roadrunners. Sarno and Bishai played in the NHL for a few games, but I could still see Lowe trying to upgrade there.

going to be interesting to see how the Rita deal pans out, for sure. I don't think they can sign him to a 2-way contract, though, or at least Lowe was quoted as saying he would have to clear waivers to play in Toronto next year and that doesn't seem likely. So either Lowe trades to make roster room for Rita or he trades Rita, it seems...

Bart

Old
04-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Brock

Mike Bishai is a very underrated player. He was absolutely tremendous for the Roadrunners this year. Even when he wasn't scoring, he was always all over the ice, giving 100% and playing very well at both ends of the ice. He's also a very smart offensive player, and he takes advantage of his scoring opportunities.

I think you Edmonton fans might underrate the impact he might have with the Oilers within the next few season. He's not just some minor league guy, such as Peter Sarno. He's in his second professional season, in which he played very well and didn't look out of place in a stint with the Oilers. I truly think he could become a very solid third line center in the NHL, and I think he'll crack the Oilers roster full time as early as next season.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:45 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Mike Bishai is a very underrated player. He was absolutely tremendous for the Roadrunners this year. Even when he wasn't scoring, he was always all over the ice, giving 100% and playing very well at both ends of the ice. He's also a very smart offensive player, and he takes advantage of his scoring opportunities.

I think you Edmonton fans might underrate the impact he might have with the Oilers within the next few season. He's not just some minor league guy, such as Peter Sarno. He's in his second professional season, in which he played very well and didn't look out of place in a stint with the Oilers. I truly think he could become a very solid third line center in the NHL, and I think he'll crack the Oilers roster full time as early as next season.
I wouldn't mind having Bishai as a third or fourth line center. My problem with Bishai is that I'm not too sure he should beat out Reasoner, Horcoff, and Stoll for the bottom three center positions. Mind you, it does either give us a bit of depth at center in case of injury, or give us a trading chip... maybe Horcoff while his stock is high.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:39 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock

Bishai looked fine in his call-up this year, but what would he bring to the table that someone already in the lineup DOESN'T bring? As someone else mentioned, the 3rd/4th-line center spot looks pretty solid with Reasoner/Horcoff/Stoll all able to fill in there...

I could see him as a depth guy next year with more limited duty with the Oilers, injury fill-in, etc., but at the moment it's hard to see him as a regular in the lineup next year.

Bart

Old
04-15-2004, 03:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yup, I like Bishai - how can't you love a guy who fights in the other teams box! - but I think he'll be awefully hard pressed to every become a regular for the Oilers seeing as our last two first round picks where both centers and you would think (although not saying it would happen with idiot MacT) that they would be ahead of him when that time comes.

As for Woywitka I think we'll see him up next year. To me Smith has to go - because for a team in the situation we're in and with Staios already signed long term we have to make room. Lynch and Woywitka both are ready for third pairing/press box duty atleast. Reports on Greene is that he's in the same place. Then we have Semenov, Bergeron and Brewer who you would think would be ahead of them.

Brewer-Semenov
Bergeron-Staios
Lynch-Woywitka/Cross

I'm likin the looks of that where Cross would probabyl play 3/4 of the games and the other two splitting the rest of the time.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
What's our depth at Center like in Toronto for next year? I could see Lowe trying to upgrade our center prospects for next year - once Stoll stuck with the Oilers this year (at first, largely due to the Comrie hold-out and then the Reasoner injury) that took away the best Center-ice guy for the Roadrunners. Sarno and Bishai played in the NHL for a few games, but I could still see Lowe trying to upgrade there.
We could have great depth at center in Toronto next season if Brodziak gets signed and Niinimaki makes the jump from Finland. I'm really hoping that Jesse comes over.. it would be great to watch a potential Roadrunners team with him, Mikhnov, Brodziak, Lynch/Woywitka, JDD etc. Hopefully Lowe can sign Mikhnov and Brodziak and convince Niinimaki to make the trek overseas!

Old
04-15-2004, 03:46 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I thought the most recent talk was that he'd stay over there for the upcoming year because of not only the CBA situation but because it kinda slowed his progress with the injury he suffered. I share your enthusiasm though that it'd be super-sweet to have Niinimaki, Mikhnov, Brodziak, and JDD join all our young guys!

Closed Thread