Notices

Calder Race

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Jamus666

vCash: 500
Calder Race

Honestly I go for Ryder, I' a big fan of Boston, but honestly, Raycroft had a lot of chance since 2000 to be a rookie, and Ryder only had one. Ryder scored more point than Heatley at his rookie season. Boston defence is way to strong, it's like Dryden with the CH a long time ago, he was good, but with Larry Robinson and a squad of def champ, Dryden had no dangerous play against him, exactly like Raycroft. And Raycroft always get shot from far away, a goalie who almost only receive far shot can't get the Calder.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus666
Honestly I go for Ryder, I' a big fan of Boston, but honestly, Raycroft had a lot of chance since 2000 to be a rookie, and Ryder only had one. Ryder scored more point than Heatley at his rookie season. Boston defence is way to strong, it's like Dryden with the CH a long time ago, he was good, but with Larry Robinson and a squad of def champ, Dryden had no dangerous play against him, exactly like Raycroft. And Raycroft always get shot from far away, a goalie who almost only receive far shot can't get the Calder.
Ryder and Raycroft are the same age. Just because Raycroft was forced into emergency duty a few years ago does not taint what he accomplished in his rookie season. He is the clear rookie of the year.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Jeff from Maine

Thats Right

Razor has completely won the awward base on his outstanding play!

He is the clear cut choice as Calder winner.

Nothin wrong with finishing 2nd....Ryder is without question the 2nd best rookie this year. Nobody else can lay claim to that! He is terrific.

This year, the top 3 is a lock.

As I said, Razor the CLEAR winner. Ryder unquestionably the runner up and Trent Hunter is the all but unquestioned 3rd place guy.

After those 3, there are a bunch who could lay claim to 4-7 or 8....

- Pitkanen, Bergeron, Zherdev and Malone being the main 4 guys.

But the top 3 were the unquestioned best rookie this year!

Later

Old
04-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Razor has completely won the awward base on his outstanding play!

He is the clear cut choice as Calder winner.

Nothin wrong with finishing 2nd....Ryder is without question the 2nd best rookie this year. Nobody else can lay claim to that! He is terrific.

This year, the top 3 is a lock.

As I said, Razor the CLEAR winner. Ryder unquestionably the runner up and Trent Hunter is the all but unquestioned 3rd place guy.

After those 3, there are a bunch who could lay claim to 4-7 or 8....

- Pitkanen, Bergeron, Zherdev and Malone being the main 4 guys.

But the top 3 were the unquestioned best rookie this year!

Later
I agree that Ryder has had the best rookie season, but I see all four of the guys you mentioned from 4-7 having better NHL careers than Ryder. Zherdez and Bergeron especially.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:

Bla, bla, bla . I'm sure you're the same guy (Necrophile) in the Habs forum who wrote exactly the same thing .

Wally if you can find a way to prove what i'm saying, i really hope a perm ban for him.

A Bruins fan ??? any Bruins fan know he receive his bunch of quality shot in every game.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Bla, bla, bla . I'm sure you're the same guy (Necrophile) in the Habs forum who wrote exactly the same thing .

Wally if you can find a way to prove what i'm saying, i really hope a perm ban for him.
Bruinster.....exactly what I was thinking.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Agree Bruwinz

I see Ryder as basically a bit more than a flash in the pan.....maybe carve out a Mark Parrish type of career.

I think a few guys from this class will be great pros, but to me, 5 stand out as the best of the best.

I think Razor and Bergeron will have very solid careers. Razor shold be a stud for years. And I see Bergeron settling into a 50-60 point producing 2nd line center and step up 1st liner. And I see Eric Staal having the same type of career as Bergeron

But I think 3 guys will end up being better than these guys.

Nathan Horton- this kid is a guy who I just think will be a stud. he just has that "somthing" that the great ones have. I can see him settling eventually intoa Steve Yzerman type role and being that kidn of 90 point leader.

Nikolai Zherdev- I see him being a bit better version of Samsonov. he is more selfish, which is good for a guy of his style. You MUST be selfish and want the puck near the goal...ya gotta have that goalscoring mentality.

But the guy I see as being the best of this whole bunch, (other than Pahouef who isnt even in the NHL) is TUOMO RUTTU.

That kid is gonna be absolutely insane! A wicked meanstreak and just flat out is awesome.

I hope like heck that he gets out of Chicago. That is the only thing that can derail him, IMHO....stuck on a losing team that makes no attempt at improving! He can do it all. By the end of the season, he was the unquestioned leader of that team! What other kid had to do that? I cant wait to see what this kid accomplishes!

Later

Old
04-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I see Ryder as basically a bit more than a flash in the pan.....maybe carve out a Mark Parrish type of career.

I think a few guys from this class will be great pros, but to me, 5 stand out as the best of the best.

I think Razor and Bergeron will have very solid careers. Razor shold be a stud for years. And I see Bergeron settling into a 50-60 point producing 2nd line center and step up 1st liner. And I see Eric Staal having the same type of career as Bergeron

Later
Of course I couldnt disagree more about what your project Bergeron to be. Heck, the guy missed a bunch of games this year and had 40 points as a rookie. I see him as a 75-90 point guy. A more physical version of Ron Francis.

We will never agree on him so I will leave it at that. I think he will be a better NHLer than both Staal and Horton. Ruutu *could* be the best of the bunch and Zherdev may be the best goal scorer, but not a complete player. This rookie class is one that could feature many, many all stars for years to come.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:14 AM
DaveyCrockett

Heatley had 67 points in his rookie year. Ryder has 63. Ryder is 24 years old, the same age as Joe Thornton who has already played 7 complete NHL seasons. Raycroft is 23. How many 23 yr old dominant starting goalies are there in the NHL? The bottom line is that Ryder was a good 2nd liner while Raycroft was a dominant starter who is the Bruins team MVP.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
WannaBeGoalie1

Quote:

Heatley didnt even play the full season. So dont compare the two. And Heatley wasnt himself this year either.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:23 AM
WannaBeGoalie1

There is no.. "Calder race" Razor has it in the bag. Everyone knows it.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:26 AM
DBL

Quote:
But the guy I see as being the best of this whole bunch, (other than Pahouef who isnt even in the NHL) is TUOMO RUTTU.

That kid is gonna be absolutely insane! A wicked meanstreak and just flat out is awesome.

I hope like heck that he gets out of Chicago. That is the only thing that can derail him, IMHO....stuck on a losing team that makes no attempt at improving! He can do it all. By the end of the season, he was the unquestioned leader of that team! What other kid had to do that? I cant wait to see what this kid accomplishes!

Later
Ruutu and Bergeron if you ask me are pretty similar players. Both have meanstreaks, play a good phsyical game, drive the net recklessly at times, have leader qualities, and have the ability to step up there game. Ruutu seems to have abit more of a meanstreak and physical play though. He also looks to have goal-scoring ahead of him too. I would say Bergerons got passing ability, and hockey sense ahead of Ruutu. But the way they play the game too I think is pretty similar. Anyone else think so?

Old
04-11-2004, 10:34 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Heatley had 67 points in his rookie year. Ryder has 63. Ryder is 24 years old, the same age as Joe Thornton who has already played 7 complete NHL seasons. Raycroft is 23. How many 23 yr old dominant starting goalies are there in the NHL? The bottom line is that Ryder was a good 2nd liner while Raycroft was a dominant starter who is the Bruins team MVP.
And don't forget that in Heatley's rookie season he was only 19 compared to Ryder's 23.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:39 AM

If I had a vote I know who it would be for...

Raycroft.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Gator Mike

Habs fans are entitled to their opinion, but through the first two games of this series, I haven't seen anything from either Raycroft or Ryder that would cause me to change my opinion on the Calder race.

(...and yes, I realize the voting is already complete.)

Old
04-11-2004, 11:42 AM
BubbaBoot

Lordy how I hate awards....sports, entertainment, Nobel, (Henry Kissinger? Yasser Arafat? Puh-LEEZE!!), it's all so very subjective, especially in the B's case this year. A forward vs. a GK.....apples and oranges here.
All I care about is the freakin' Stanley Cup.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:32 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
I doubt this post was supposed to be funny, but it certainly is.
:lol :lol

Old
04-11-2004, 12:35 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
I doubt this post was supposed to be funny, but it certainly is.
:lol :lol
i'm still trying to figure out what he's talking about :lol

cuz any way ya slice it, "knight ryder" isn't winning anything but a ticket to the golf course in less than a week.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Punkie

Send a message via AIM to Punkie Send a message via Yahoo to Punkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGoalie1
There is no.. "Calder race" Razor has it in the bag. Everyone knows it.
I AGREE!!!

Old
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Fan-of-#9

Sabres fan here,

I just wanted to express how impressed I am with Raycroft, everybody knows he's great on the ice, but I can't believe how well he handles the media after the game, specifically after tonight's game. He said all the right things, and I really like his maturity and the mental aspect of his game, he's sharp.

He was the better goalie tonight, and has been throughout the series. Before the series I doubted Boston's chances, mainly because of the matchup in goal, but it's obvious that Raycroft is ready to go go toe to toe with Theodore and perhaps outplay him. It's going to be a good fight, but I think you guys will pull it out.

Raycroft is a great kid, congratulations.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Prrebel

Back on topic. I am a Habs fan, but I think the vote for the Calder will be closer than you think... but I would also give the nod to Raycroft. Being a Newfoundlander from the same area as Ryder, that is hard for me to say.

Last edited by Gee Wally: 04-13-2004 at 11:18 AM. Reason: remove personal comment
Old
04-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Wgrandall

As a few have said, I think the thing to keep in mind is this:

Ryder had a wonderful year....best amongst rookies for sure, head and shoulders the best statistically and would win 99% of the time.

BUT...

Raycroft was in the top 5-6 all year amongst the TOP goalies in the league...not JUST rookies, but ALL goalies. And Boston's D is (or was for most of the year) average at best. It's not all that great to start with and probably the best player (Boynton) struggled off and on all year.

Although, I must say, as a Hab fan said earlier in the thread...I too think it *might* be closer than us Boston fans think.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Raycroft should get the nod. I have been watching Ryder and have not seen as much from him as from Bergeron. I guess the regular season stats determine the results, but I would not pick Ryder higher than 2-4 in the Calder race.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Habsfunk

Raycroft's stats are too good to be ignored. Ryder had an amazing rookie season, especially considering he was playing in the ECHL two season ago, but rookie goalies rarely put up Raycroft's kind of statistics, and when they do they win the Calder (see Nabokov). That said, I don't think its clear cut and I imagine it will be close than some of you think.

I think this series says a lot. Ryder has 16 shots on goal so far, which puts him second behind Marian Hossa, yet Raycroft has stopped them all. It definitely makes for an interesting sub-plot that Raycroft is winning so far.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Mad-Marcus

Whether or not Rayzor gets the Calder, we finally have a goalie. I suspect by this kids composure that he is only going to get better with experience.
Ryder's a good player but no one is going to confuse him as your go to guy. Wait till next year when people start paying more attention to him , that will speak loudly as to how much better he will get.

We shall see.

Closed Thread