HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Role Models

Old
10-27-2009, 07:57 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Role Models

Much has been said about BG's new additions and those that were replaced, most notably the smurfs and Kovalev/Koivu.

There are many types of leaders, in hockey we always hear reference to the quiet leaders or the vocal ones. Often, those with the most talent become natural leaders because players look up to them. Other times it is someone with less talent but has worked hard to get to the NHL. Regardless of what form the leadership takes there is alway one constant, hard work. The rest of the players look to those with letters on the jersey to show the way.

Koivu was a great leader and we'll never know what could have been without the injuries. His story is truly inspirational and on many teams that might have been enough. The most talented player on this team for the past few years was Kovalev. He also coveted the captaincy. Unfortunately his talent didn't necessarily translate into the leadership traits this team needed.

This isn't meant to bash Kovalev, I think he's one of the most talented players ever in the game, but to praise our new leadership. This teams most talented players also seem to be the hardest workers. Gionta, Cammellari and Gomez work hard every shift and it looks like it may be starting to rub off on some of the younger players. Veterans like Metro also help, because while not being a marquee player, he works his ass off every shift.

I would imagine it's very difficult for a player on this team now to not work hard out there. I can see it improving every game. Even Kostitsyn looks more engaged the past few games. The only shame for me is that Koivu never got to play with players like these that were as dedicated as he was.

Moving forward.... Go Habs Go

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:11 AM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
The most talented player on this team for the past few years was Kovalev. He also coveted the captaincy. Unfortunately his talent didn't necessarily translate into the leadership traits this team needed.

This isn't meant to bash Kovalev, I think he's one of the most talented players ever in the game, but to praise our new leadership.
Don't be shy, you don't have to be afraid to offense all those Kovalev lovers here. I'll say it out loud for you, he was a terrible leader and an even worse example on the ice for the young guys to follow. He has sick skills and talent, no doubt.. but he's FAR from being one of the most talented players ever in the game.

Quote:
Gionta, Cammellari and Gomez work hard every shift and it looks like it may be starting to rub off on some of the younger players. Veterans like Metro also help, because while not being a marquee player, he works his ass off every shift.

I would imagine it's very difficult for a player on this team now to not work hard out there.
That's exactly what I like about this new team. Maybe not the most talented team, but a lot of hard workers... Plekanec, Lapierre, Moen, Chipchura are all known for their relentless on the ice. Even Latendresse, although slow and frustrating to watch at times, works his ass off every shifts. Great role models for the younger forwards like Pacioretty.

Quote:
The only shame for me is that Koivu never got to play with players like these that were as dedicated as he was.
Quoted for truth.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:32 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
This teams most talented players also seem to be the hardest workers. Gionta, Cammellari and Gomez work hard every shift and it looks like it may be starting to rub off on some of the younger players.
I like Gomez so far, but he has had the reputation of not being the hardest worker.

His salary and contract length will make him a target if he does not consistently give his best effort.

With all this said, I'm confident the last thing he would want is to spend 5 years of his life living in Hell.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote