HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hudler Watch...

Old
10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

vCash: 500
Hudler Watch...

In case anyone is interested (and I know you are), Hudler is tied for 3rd (Radulov) in KHL scoring with 8g, 14a in 20 games played. He is only behind Alexei Yashin (7g, 16a) and teammate Mattias Weinhandl (13g, 14a).

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
zecke26

we had reports in the prospect thread. his size still qualifies him as prospect i guess.

does he play on the same line as weinhandl? that would explain his amount of points.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 09:51 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
we had reports in the prospect thread. his size still qualifies him as prospect i guess.

does he play on the same line as weinhandl? that would explain his amount of points.
I'm not sure what line he plays on, but Dinamo Moscow had a rough start and is now 4th in the league, and they have two of the top 3 scorers.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

He does. They are tearing KHL right now. Weinhandl himself said that Jiri is even better than his previous linemates(Cajanek and Landry).

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
One word : KHL

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
GuloGulo

Hudler might be a very kickass player by the time he returns from the KHL. Hopefully Kenny has cap room to sign him then. Hudler's playing top minutes now, not supporting duty, and the KHL is a lot tougher than the AHL. Kenny needs to smoke the peace pipe, cuz rationally we got a bona fide top 6 guy stashed away there!

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
He does. They are tearing KHL right now. Weinhandl himself said that Jiri is even better than his previous linemates(Cajanek and Landry).
oh great. thanks for the info. weinhandl is such an amazing player. if he'd have full vision, he would be among the better NHLers. but he can't handle small rinks it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown93 View Post
One word : KHL
well, that's not a really a word.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Houston Red Winger

Go Hudler!

I have three words: "He'll be back."

Houston Red Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:17 AM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Red Winger View Post
Go Hudler!

I hope so....we retain his rights for as long as he plays in the KHL correct?

So when he comes back he can't just sign with any NHL team...pretty sure that's right

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Super Berg

that's good for Hudler...too bad he isn't doing this in the NHL.

Rubbing shoulders with Yashin and Weinhandl is just not the same as hanging with Ovie and Sid the kid.

Hope he does decide to come by eventually and come back a stronger and better player.

Dang KHL and their oil money.

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Berg

as for him coming back. I really don't know.

I mean it is a catch 22. If he plays well in the KHL he will get a raise and get paid even more by a Russian Team (tax free, blah blah blah. The guy is already making $5M per annum remember). Will Detroit give him matching salary based on his KHL numbers? not likely. He will have to come back and honor his 2 year $5.75M NHL deal, suck it up, kick butt and then earn a raise based on NHL numbers.

The question becomes, if Hudler can make $5M plus tax free in Russia would he come back and take a pay cut and then play well only to earn a deal that would still pay him less than his KHL salary? (ie. 3 years at $4M per, but not tax free)

The problem is that Hudler is being paid like a superstar in Russia and I am not sure any NHL club will ever look at him that way and pay him accordingly.
All this adds up to it not looking very good for him coming back.

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Hudler might be a very kickass player by the time he returns from the KHL. Hopefully Kenny has cap room to sign him then. Hudler's playing top minutes now, not supporting duty, and the KHL is a lot tougher than the AHL. Kenny needs to smoke the peace pipe, cuz rationally we got a bona fide top 6 guy stashed away there!
He already was a bona fide top 6 guy. No, he wasn't fast or great defensively, but he was smart in the offensive zone. He's like Homer in that way - he doesn't have a full tool-set, but he's honed what he's good at. He knows when to shoot, knows when to pass, and hes very good at both.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
He already was a bona fide top 6 guy. No, he wasn't fast or great defensively, but he was smart in the offensive zone. He's like Homer in that way - he doesn't have a full tool-set, but he's honed what he's good at. He knows when to shoot, knows when to pass, and hes very good at both.
True. The difference being Homer (et all) might be off the books. Less competition for ice time etc.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
TheNextOneX

Keep dreaming....Hudler will stay in KHL 4 a very long time....

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHope07 View Post
as for him coming back. I really don't know.

I mean it is a catch 22. If he plays well in the KHL he will get a raise and get paid even more by a Russian Team (tax free, blah blah blah. The guy is already making $5M per annum remember). Will Detroit give him matching salary based on his KHL numbers? not likely. He will have to come back and honor his 2 year $5.75M NHL deal, suck it up, kick butt and then earn a raise based on NHL numbers.

The question becomes, if Hudler can make $5M plus tax free in Russia would he come back and take a pay cut and then play well only to earn a deal that would still pay him less than his KHL salary? (ie. 3 years at $4M per, but not tax free)

The problem is that Hudler is being paid like a superstar in Russia and I am not sure any NHL club will ever look at him that way and pay him accordingly.
All this adds up to it not looking very good for him coming back.
I think he makes his payday playing in a somewhat inferior league, then comes back to where the competition is up to snuff. The Wings hold his rights when he comes back (he stated he didn't want to play for any other NHL team, and he's got a contract waiting for him), so we've got him regardless.

Nobody in North America will ever pay anyone what they're making in the KHL, that's just a matter of economics. If you want to play in what is arguably the best league in the world, you take less money.

Old
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Red Winger View Post
Go Hudler!

I can't agree, In my eyes the Mike Brown hit knocked some sense into him. He won't get hit like that in the KHL, not even close. On top of that if you're the Pavel Datsyuk of the KHL and getting paid real well, why would you leave all that for a 3rd line role on the Wings. From his perspective, is their anything he would gain by coming back?

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
lazerbullet

Hudler with another helper on the PP, today. But his team lost 1-5.

Overall, Hudler has been scoring a lot of points on the power play. What else is new, huh?

He seems to click with Weinhandl very well. Weinhandl plays well with pass-first guys (Martensson!). So they are really perfect match.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Am I the only one here who could care less what Hudler's doing in the KHL, as far as I'm concerned I hope he doesn;t come back to the Wings and stays in there the rest of his miserable career, ok well that might be a little harsh but.... he's not a Wing so be gone and stay gone for all I care, lol.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenstein View Post
I can't agree, In my eyes the Mike Brown hit knocked some sense into him. He won't get hit like that in the KHL, not even close. On top of that if you're the Pavel Datsyuk of the KHL and getting paid real well, why would you leave all that for a 3rd line role on the Wings. From his perspective, is their anything he would gain by coming back?
x2

The only way I see him coming back to Detroit is if the hookers are substantially better which I'm pretty sure there not. Still I definitely wouldn't miss his ability to score goals right now.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Jim Morrison

I really want some NHL team to give Weinhandl another shot. Don't know, maybe the Red Wings should pick him up?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Am I the only one here who could care less what Hudler's doing in the KHL, as far as I'm concerned I hope he doesn;t come back to the Wings and stays in there the rest of his miserable career, ok well that might be a little harsh but.... he's not a Wing so be gone and stay gone for all I care, lol.
Then don't post in the thread. Simple as that.

And yes, technically he still is a Wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
Hudler with another helper on the PP, today. But his team lost 1-5.

Overall, Hudler has been scoring a lot of points on the power play. What else is new, huh?
Where are you getting the point breakdown? The KHL site only lists PP goals, of which he has 2 out of 8 total.

EDIT: And one short-handed goal, which means they've got him on the PK --

Last edited by RedMenace: 10-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Why wouldn't Hudler come back in 2 years? If he gains some muscle and gets better defensively he could easily be a 70+ point scorer at worst, he won't be on the 3rd line either. I am sure after 2 years of dominating the KHL he will get bored and come back to the best league. He got his pay check and by then he will be 27 and entering his prime. He still has his best years ahead of him and he will be a star.

How does this sound
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
Leino - Filppula - Hudler

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Schroedingers Cat

Heaton spoils all my fun!

Hudler will be back as soon as we've solved our cap problems.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Weinhandl is a guy that would fit in perfectly on the Wings I think. Former wunderkid-talent that really never made it.. he's highly skilled though, before his eye injury (he was intentionally slashed in the eye by a czech player and lost 80% vision on that eye) he was up there with the Sedins and Zetterberg. He also used to have pretty good chemistry with Zetterberg on the national team back in the day.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:15 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Hell, why not bring back Hudler and give Weinhandl a tryout at camp next season? If he wants to, he could at least play on the 3rd line (where Hudler would likely be anyway ) and provide some kind of scoring threat.

Of course, he is "damaged goods," and there's got to be a reason nobody has given him a chance in the NHL... but it couldn't hurt to add another Swede, right?