HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 'what the crap should we do?!' thread

Old
10-30-2009, 03:35 PM
ashenhigh

vCash: 500
My thoughts:

I STILL THINK WE CAN WIN THE CUP.

Someone call Forsberg, he is still eligible to play in the NHL this season!

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
My thoughts:

I STILL THINK WE CAN WIN THE CUP.
so do i.

it is mostly the same team that won in '08. with good goaltending, DRW are still an elite team, imo.

team D was much stronger than it is now, but it is now good enough to win, and should become stronger. need better PK, better puck possession.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
doublejack

Through 10 games, this team hasn't played anything close to Cup caliber hockey. Factor in the injury problems that are now mounting, and frankly I'll be happy if we can get into the second round...

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Through 10 games, this team hasn't played anything close to Cup caliber hockey. Factor in the injury problems that are now mounting, and frankly I'll be happy if we can get into the second round...
Did Pittsburgh last year?

The first ten games, including a trip to Europe, don't mean anything.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
Many here last summer said let the young guys play. Well so far it's not working. Helm has been average at best, Abdelkader maybe average and Leino has been a bag of pucks.

Funny how I said this from the start, especially Leino - but people just said I was a finn-hater and that Ville was a calder candidate

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:22 PM
oldtimerhockey

Not sure how the goaltending situation changes given the cap situation. The three old men (Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom)would have to be moved? Yes, Holmstrom has some goals but he will get banged up like last year and stop skating. I think the bottom line is the fans need to appreciate the run that was.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Nordic*

Speaking about defence.

We need to rid this team of Meech, Lebda and Rafalski.

NYI has a humongous cap space left, would they take Rafalski for something like a second round pick 2010? They need another QB to help Tavares reach stardom.

That would leave us with about 6000 000 $ in cap space.

Willie Mitchell is an unrestricted free agent 2010. Would Vancouver let him go for that pick + Abdelkader and Leino?

Anton Volchenkov is also an UFA in 2010, so you might think Ottawa want to deal him before they get nothing. Kindl/Kolosov (sp) + a pick for Volchenkov?

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Kronwall-Mitchell

Stuart-Volchenkov

I've said that this team needs some youth, but none of those guys will reach the level needed for them to be impact players on this team - and this defence for next season/this playoffs looks....ok And they'd fit under the cap aswell if they want anything close to what they're getting now.

Last edited by Nordic*: 10-30-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Even with

Lidstrom-Chara
Niedermeyer-Pronger
Keith-Bouwmeester

Osgood would still allow 5-6 goals per game.

Last year, Conklin played with Rafalski too, and had a 2.51 GAA (.909) compared to Osgood's 3.09 (.887)

This team would be 2nd or 1st in Central if we didn't have OHL-calibre netminders.

Last edited by Matt714*: 10-30-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Speaking about defence.

NYI has a humongous cap space left, would they take Rafalski for something like a second round pick 2010? They need another QB to help Tavares reach stardom.

Willie Mitchell is an unrestricted free agent 2010. Would Vancouver let him go for that pick + Abdelkader and Leino?

Anton Volchenkov is also an UFA in 2010, so you might think Ottawa want to deal him before they get nothing. Kindl/Kolosov (sp) + a pick for Volchenkov?

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Kronwall-Mitchell

Stuart-Volchenkov

I've said that this team needs some youth, but none of those guys will reach the level needed for them to be impact players on this team - and this defence for next season/this playoffs looks....ok And they'd fit under the cap aswell if they want anything close to what they're getting now.

If we could somehow poach Volchenkov from the Sens for somebody(not Kindl) I would be more than elated, I would be ecstatic, he's the kind of nasty, hard nosed D-man Detroit needs. Mitchell not so much especially for Abby or Leino.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Wingnut31

Send a message via ICQ to Wingnut31 Send a message via AIM to Wingnut31 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingnut31
I really hope this thread resurfaces in late May or early June......

Wingnut31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
jacK

Quote:
Speaking about defence.

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Kronwall-Mitchell

Stuart-Volchenkov

your proposals are god-awful.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
your proposals are god-awful.
Really, in what way? We'd have the best defence in the league - something we need considering our awful goalies.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:05 PM
jacK

Quote:
Really, in what way? We'd have the best defence in the league - something we need considering our awful goalies.
you're proposing to give up a 2nd round pick, Justin Abdelkader, and Ville Leino for Willie Mitchell.

you're also proposing giving up Kindl, our highest-rated prospect (or Kolosov... apparently they have equal value?), and another pick for Volchenkov.

3 blue chips and 2 picks for 2 decent UFAs. just terrible.

i wouldn't mind either guy, but adding them logjams the depth chart w/o trading defense away, and there's no guarantee our goalies don't crap the bed w/ good defense in front of them.
and at the cost you're suggesting for each of them, you create more problems in the future than you solve today.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 08:14 PM
hfboardsuser

Oilers fan here. How about this:

:

D Brendan Smith
C Landon Ferraro

Roster player(s) of equal salary

for

:

RW Ales Hemsky

I don't really know who would work from a roster perspective, though.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:27 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Oilers fan here. How about this:

:

D Brendan Smith
C Landon Ferraro

Roster player(s) of equal salary

for

:

RW Ales Hemsky

I don't really know who would work from a roster perspective, though.
Hemsky is an awesome talent with a great contract, but I don't think that deal really works for the Wings. We can only add so much playmaking puck savvy without having any goal scorers. Not to mention, in a "transition" year, we can't afford to give up 2 of our best prospects, particularly Ferraro, even though neither of those guys are likely to be as talented as Hemsky is.

Just out of curiosity, whats the thinking behind trading Hemsky, especially for prospects? Hemskys the kind of guy that could land Kovalchuk in a sign-and-trade deal.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
you're proposing to give up a 2nd round pick, Justin Abdelkader, and Ville Leino for Willie Mitchell.

you're also proposing giving up Kindl, our highest-rated prospect (or Kolosov... apparently they have equal value?), and another pick for Volchenkov.

i wouldn't mind either guy, but adding them logjams the depth chart w/o trading defense away, and there's no guarantee our goalies don't crap the bed w/ good defense in front of them.
and at the cost you're suggesting for each of them, you create more problems in the future than you solve today.
I'd give up Kindl and a 4th for Volchenkov in a heart beat, if Holland knew he could retain Volchenkov. Volchenkov would be our best positional defender when Lidstrom retires, in addition to size, strength, hitting, and shotblocking. Hes perenially top 10 in the latter category, and is good for 150+ hits easily. He's also only 27.

A top pairing of Volchenkov - Kronwall for the next 4-5 years is as good as the Wings can hope for in the post-Lidstrom era. The Wings have plenty of guys who play Kindl's game on the team, and in the system.

Mitchell, on the other hand, isn't worth trading picks/prospects for at the deadline, despite how well hes playing right now.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:42 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Just out of curiosity, whats the thinking behind trading Hemsky, especially for prospects? Hemskys the kind of guy that could land Kovalchuk in a sign-and-trade deal.
Preferably, I'd move Hemmer for some size. His value might never be higher and his skilset is duplicated all over the roster.

Franzen is the guy I'd really like to have. Would Hemsky + Cogliano be enough to land him PLUS Smith and Ferraro?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Nordic*

Quote:

Abdelkader & Leino won't be anything but depth players in this organization, I have no problem dealing them for a defender who's considered top-5 in the league defensively.

And as for Volchenkov for Kindl or Kolosov, I'd do that trade for both om them.

We need a solid defence to make up for the sub-par goalies and the fact that Nick is almost 40 ******* years old.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Look, I agree, Red Wings have goal tending problems and that needs to be rectified. Defense could be better and a lot of players will be UFA's at the end of the season.

But, do u realise we could have had players like Gaborik, traded for some decent players and acquired great free agents, but we went with Bertuzzi (wtf?) who can't score an empty net if he the whole period to do it, Williams (not too impressed) and they let guaranteed goalscorers like Hossa, Hudler and Samuelsson go? I just don't get the salary cap. Surely all the guys wanted to stay, but Red Wings management/board just wanted to "freshen" up things. We could have kept those guys and still been under the salary cap.

I say get rid of lebda, meech, maltby. sign homer to a good new deal (not 25 years ofc) and get some proper goalscorers and a better defensemen. I was impressed with rafalski last year, hopefully he can find form and then we'll replace him in 2011. as for goaltenders osgood is a UFA in 2011 too. Either ride this whole thing out and pray we can do better with a few changes for the skaters, or as other people said, give the prospects a chance. i think they will give 110% to stay and earn a full time contract.

Am I wrong?

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DET

Maltby, Williams, Bertuzzi, May, Lilja, Lebda, Meech (out)

Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Eaves (resign)

Get some young stars/real prospects in goal, D and forwards

Old
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I'd give up Kindl and a 4th for Volchenkov in a heart beat, if Holland knew he could retain Volchenkov. Volchenkov would be our best positional defender when Lidstrom retires, in addition to size, strength, hitting, and shotblocking. Hes perenially top 10 in the latter category, and is good for 150+ hits easily. He's also only 27.

A top pairing of Volchenkov - Kronwall for the next 4-5 years is as good as the Wings can hope for in the post-Lidstrom era. The Wings have plenty of guys who play Kindl's game on the team, and in the system.

Mitchell, on the other hand, isn't worth trading picks/prospects for at the deadline, despite how well hes playing right now.
I'd love to have that pairing, but they're both injury prone. Volchenkov more so due to his style of play.

Also, isn't he due for a pretty big raise? I could see him signing for 4.5m but I could also see him signing for around 5m.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Preferably, I'd move Hemmer for some size. His value might never be higher and his skilset is duplicated all over the roster.

Franzen is the guy I'd really like to have. Would Hemsky + Cogliano be enough to land him PLUS Smith and Ferraro?
I'm pretty sure Franzen has a NTC with that megadeal he signed. And in any case, the Wings are smurfy enough without dealing Franzenstein.

I don't think Smith is the blue-chipper he is sometimes thought to be. He doesn't look as though he has any interest or ability for playing sound defensively, which means he'd be an extremely poor man's Paul Coffey at best. Or maybe he'd be better off on the wing. I dunno.

Ferraro is a good prospect but who knows.

I would like to see a Datsyuk-Hemsky-Filppula line set the record for the longest uninterrupted puck possession without even thinking about trying to shoot the puck.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I'm pretty sure Franzen has a NTC with that megadeal he signed. And in any case, the Wings are smurfy enough without dealing Franzenstein.

I don't think Smith is the blue-chipper he is sometimes thought to be. He doesn't look as though he has any interest or ability for playing sound defensively, which means he'd be an extremely poor man's Paul Coffey at best. Or maybe he'd be better off on the wing. I dunno.

Ferraro is a good prospect but who knows.

I would like to see a Datsyuk-Hemsky-Filppula line set the record for the longest uninterrupted puck possession without even thinking about trying to shoot the puck.

We don't need Hemsky for that, Nylander just played with the Griffins - he's the master of the art of not shooting.

Old
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
I think i hear the air raid sirens. everyone to your bomb shelters!. seriously, find someplace with no wi-fi or internet. Holy mary mother of WOW!. We're barely into the season and 2 out of 3 threads here has some proposal of blowing the team apart. Do I like how we've started? No. But seriously, we've stood head and shoulders above every other team for a decade. If we don't do quite as well this year, well just think of the draft picks we could get. After seeing what left and what we brought in, did anyone seriously expect to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league? Granted I didn't think we were going to have this many issues, but you can't predict injuries, so here's to some really nice draft picks.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

well said garry. i just think for the future, we need more consistent performers and also get some youth in the team for longevity.

But, yes, it is too early to say "season over". that is just ridiculous.

my comments are only on players that we could replace at the end of the season and for the future.