HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Snowed In

Old
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
huh, Hejduk is, was and always will be a better player than Hemsky and not even close. As a 26yr old Hejduk put up 50G 96pts. Does it look like Hemsky is on par for that? Or will ever even come close to that.

Goalscorers are huge value in the league. Not to mention players that can pot 30 in their sleep while playing a fantastic all round game.

Next Wolski is 23, 3 yrs younger than Hemsky, and is basically on par with what Hemsky put up in his first 252NHL GP.

Wolski last year had a poor team and very little help. Pretty much the kind of hangover Hemsky experienced in 06-07.

Also in the comparison Hemsky played for a strong club in 05-06 and his totals benefited. Merely passing the puck back to Pronger nets around 15 assists alone that year.

Finally Wolski had 12 pts and 7G right now in his first 12 games.

When has Hemsky ever scored 7 goals so quickly off the start? Hemsky hasn't EVER scored 7 goals in any consecutive 12 games at any point in his career.
Yes goals scored are more important and Wolski is expanding his game and improving while Hemsky has been static. Take away the 5 candy pts against CBJ in a deplorable game by Columbus and Hemsky has produced like crap this year. When he's faced with the checking of the last 3 games he produces nothing. Shut right down.

Yet in a tight checking affair last night Wolski has a huge game.

Wolski showed up Hemsky right on home ice last night. Its a sign of things to come.
Hemsky shows very little willingness to make the necessary adjustments in his game.
Ok so you mention Pronger and how he inflated Hemskys stats but make no mention of Forsberg when talking about Hejduk's great season?

And how is Hejduk's season 6 years ago relevent today? 54 and 59 points has last 2 years.

You then say that Wolski is improving when his point totals have gone down the last 3 years.

The guy has a career high of 50 points for crying out loud.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Remind me who were Hejduk's linemates.
For sure. But Hejduk consistently scores no matter who his linemates are.

Last couple of years he'd be the leading scorer on the Oilers still putting up totals in seasons where the AV's as a team were not very good.

Guy has had one hell of a solid career.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
For sure. But Hejduk consistently scores no matter who his linemates are.

Last couple of years he'd be the leading scorer on the Oilers still putting up totals in seasons where the AV's as a team were not very good.

Guy has had one hell of a solid career.
I don't disagree. Just putting things in their proper perspective. A rolling traffic cone would probably have put up points playing with the Avs in their heyday.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Ok so you mention Pronger and how he inflated Hemskys stats but make no mention of Forsberg when talking about Hejduk's great season?

And how is Hejduk's season 6 years ago relevent today? 54 and 59 points has last 2 years.

You then say that Wolski is improving when his point totals have gone down the last 3 years.

The guy has a career high of 50 points for crying out loud.
He's young, 23 yrs old. The response to that is always "well Hemsky had this great season as a young player"

Thing is Hemsky has never gotten any better since. Plateaued.

Guys are passing him and Wolski will too I am forecasting. Wolski is expanding his game and finding different ways to contribute.

Let me know when you ever see Hemsky or any top Oiler line "buying in" like Wolski and the AV's topline have bought in this year.

Old
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't disagree. Just putting things in their proper perspective. A rolling traffic cone would probably have put up points playing with the Avs in their heyday.
Would Horcoff?

Old
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
He's young, 23 yrs old. The response to that is always "well Hemsky had this great season as a young player"

Guys are passing him and Wolski will too I am forecasting. Wolski is expanding his game and finding different ways to contribute.

Let me know when you ever see Hemsky or any top Oiler line "buying in" like Wolski and the AV's topline have bought in this year.
The same thing happens to a lot of players. There is no gurantee that Wolski will get better. And even if he does, how good do you see him becoming?

Hemsky can be counted on to be around a 70 point guy. Do you really see Wolski becoming an 80+ point guy because i sure don't.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
The same thing happens to a lot of players. There is no gurantee that Wolski will get better. And even if he does, how good do you see him becoming?

Hemsky can be counted on to be around a 70 point guy. Do you really see Wolski becoming an 80+ point guy because i sure don't.
Lets not forget Hemsky nearly doubled his output in the 05-06 year from the previous year and at a similar age.

How good will Wolski become? Again I think we're about to see that soon from a player that is playing a smart, mature game and being a teamleader at the tender age of 23. With one of the best vets in the game to tutor him. I'm really seeing a Sedin like game here.

With his willingness to respond and do whats asked of him I'm not sure why a player with his talent wouldn't improve.
Hemsky is often his own impediment to improving.

I look for about 60-65pts for Wolski this season and increasing on that in coming years. But I'm seeing he might be a consistent 25 goal scorer and a more responsible all round player that plays smart and keeps is simple and the puck deep.

Old
10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Earlier in the year I remember two specific times when Hemsky made a great sprawling dive to block a shot. I think he was even shaken up one time too.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Would Horcoff?
So hypothetically speaking, replace Sakic with Horcoff?

Are you mad?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So hypothetically speaking, replace Sakic with Horcoff?

Are you mad?
Well quite possibly but either you or I are misunderstanding what was just said there..

I was equating Horcoff to the aforementioned pylon. Not to Sakic..

Old
10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:

Very solid observation.
This is exactly why I think that Hemsky's time with this team should be nearing an end.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I bet you're glad we are on a losing streak so you could get your dig in. Feel better now?
Kinda stupid comment. Must have struck a nerve. I am an Oiler fan and certainly not happy to see them lose. Especially after paying to see them get seal clubbed on Saturday night.

My point remains the issues with this team have always been a shared accountability of players, coaching and managment versus the simplistic whining of those who opt to simply scapegoat coaching. If MacT has utilized Stortini on the PP like Quinn has the usually whiners would be losing their minds.

The biggest culprit in all of this is likely a pretty average roster and poorly spent cap space. I like Pat Quinn but he isn't necessarily a miracle worker. This team needs better players (or a time machine to bring back a 26 year old Gagner and Cogliano).

But feel free to continue your anti MacTavish ranting. It apparently makes you feel better!

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 10-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Very solid observation.
This is exactly why I think that Hemsky's time with this team should be nearing an end.
heh, Wolski already with his 8th goal in 13th game. The winning goal tonight for the league leading Av's now with 22 pts. Stastny with another assist. Hemsky could take half a season to score that many. Barring injury Wolski will score more this year than Hemsky ever has.

The Rookie Center O' Reilly with his 11th pt tonight already. Thats a game bunch for Colorado.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-28-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old
10-29-2009, 05:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Kinda stupid comment. Must have struck a nerve. I am an Oiler fan and certainly not happy to see them lose. Especially after paying to see them get seal clubbed on Saturday night.

My point remains the issues with this team have always been a shared accountability of players, coaching and managment versus the simplistic whining of those who opt to simply scapegoat coaching. If MacT has utilized Stortini on the PP like Quinn has the usually whiners would be losing their minds.

The biggest culprit in all of this is likely a pretty average roster and poorly spent cap space. I like Pat Quinn but he isn't necessarily a miracle worker. This team needs better players (or a time machine to bring back a 26 year old Gagner and Cogliano).

But feel free to continue your anti MacTavish ranting. It apparently makes you feel better!
You keep rationalizing if it makes you feel better. I have the stones to admit when I am wrong and move on. You should try it sometime instead of hanging on to a lost cause and dragging it out of the closet the first time the team goes on a three game losing streak. Im glad the team could stumble so that you could massage your ego.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

He's off to a hot start with a team who's goaltender is absolutely standing on his head game in game out.

You're overrating Wolski here, no question about it. The Avs had zero expectations going into this season and - although they are playing a pretty structured game - are also playing loosy goosy with tons of confidence, throughout the roster.

Ryan O'Reilly has 11 points. Ryan fricken O'Reilly. They do have some nice weapons up front but guaranteed they will come back down to earth, and hard, sometime soon. Craig Anderson is THE reason they have the best record in the NHL.

Last edited by Philly85: 10-29-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote