HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes @ Blue Jackets (10/28/09)

Old
10-29-2009, 10:26 AM

vCash: 500
I did find it interesting to see the post-game interview with Labby where he credited Sean Burke to helping him get his game in gear. Walsh made a nice move by actually doing a follow-up question when Labby made the comment about Burke.

I like Lang with Vrbata, because I think that Lang and Vrbata will be able to work well together, and Prucha is just a glue guy no matter who the other two on the line are. I agree that Doan and Mueller should stick together because Doan brings out the best in Mueller.

I definitely see the defense with Sauer's return (when?) a possible hiccup. I don't want to sit any of those 7 D, and I don't really want to go with 7 D per game either. The only benefit of carrying 7 D would be to limit Z & Jovo's time a bit at even strength so they don't get worn out by season's end. Top defense like that need a certain minimum of minutes to stay sharp too, but if we could save a few minutes and spread it around it might help. Maybe 20 minutes a night for Jovo, Aucoin and Z, 15 minutes a night for Sauer, Yandle, Lepisto, Vandermeer.

I'm not hearing enough concern about the lack of even-strength goal scoring on this team. I really do think we have a superior power-play to past years, which is a great improvement, but we aren't scoring much at all even-strength. Coyotes are scoring 2.65 goals a game right now, and 1.1 PPG per game, 1.55 ESG per game. I'll try to dig up some comparable stats for other teams -- but if the Coyotes don't hold up, this will be why.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

PP is ranked 11th
GF is ranked 21st

I think maybe the defense-first style at even strength can be partially blamed for this. It's also why we have the best GA in the Western Conference(3rd in the league) despite a pretty low ranked PK(21st). So while it's true that we don't score enough at even strength, at least we're not giving up any even strength goals, either. That might just kind of be how it goes this year. If we get the PK shored up, we'll be in pretty good shape. Super stingy defensively, with a good PP is a great combo.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
zz

I think you guys pretty much summed up our current strategy: don't take stupid penalties, don't allow more than 2 goals per game, use speed to draw penalties, and execute on the PP.

Hopefully, when the team starts gaining confidence, we'll see a bit more puck-possession and will start scoring more 5 on 5.

zz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
PP is ranked 11th
GF is ranked 21st

I think maybe the defense-first style at even strength can be partially blamed for this. It's also why we have the best GA in the Western Conference(3rd in the league) despite a pretty low ranked PK(21st). So while it's true that we don't score enough at even strength, at least we're not giving up any even strength goals, either. That might just kind of be how it goes this year. If we get the PK shored up, we'll be in pretty good shape. Super stingy defensively, with a good PP is a great combo.
Right, and if we do that we are a legit contender...but this team is not a legit contender so that means that something is going to fall apart. I'm not trying to play the pessimist here, we have WJF for that, but I'm just reminding people that this is not the team we think it is -- but if they make the playoffs with this type of play that is a welcome change.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Right, and if we do that we are a legit contender...but this team is not a legit contender so that means that something is going to fall apart. I'm not trying to play the pessimist here, we have WJF for that, but I'm just reminding people that this is not the team we think it is -- but if they make the playoffs with this type of play that is a welcome change.
Like most non-contenders Phoenix is one of those "if" teams every sport has. For these teams there are a lot of "if" questions. If the Coyotes can maintain their strong play in Tippett's system. If Tippett can keep the Coyotes on task. If the new lines can click and pick up scoring just a little bit even strength. If the PK can get a little bit stronger. If Bryzgalov and LaBarbera can stay focused and continue to play the Allaire system successfully. If Sean Burke can keep the goalies on track. If Bryzgalov doesn't wear down over a long season.

If all of those things come true, the Coyotes are easily a playoff team. If a most of them come true they are a bubble team. If most do not come true then the Coyotes are an also-ran.

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic. So far so good. The most promising thing I have seen so far is a coaching staff that seems capable of finding adjustments and getting the players to adapt to those adjustments.

Last edited by yakko: 10-29-2009 at 01:28 PM.
yakko is offline   Reply With Quote